Need help on 1949 Cadillac purchase

Joe Cocuzza

A dual action polisher is the only one I will use.  It's pretty benign, actually.  Eliminates whoopses.  Slightly more aggressive than hand polishing depending on speed setting, but FAR less aggressive than a rotary.

I don't trust myself with a rotary on anything even though I own one.

I have two DA Polishers. The key is that the mop does not spin in action (may spin if free), instead it shakes. I generally use with a terrycloth towel but am not good at "pretty".

Here are a few more pics. Too bad about those 2 "dings" in the grille as those are the only damage to the car.

The one picture of the hood looks like spots on it but it is only dust.

I tried my best to take some underneath shots, too.

DSCF4981.JPG

DSCF4978.JPG

DSCF4976.JPG

DSCF4980.JPG

DSCF4979.JPG

• Like 1

I have a method of cleaning such cars right in the garage. First blow off dust with compressed air. Then wet down the surface using a spray bottle of water with a little car wash soap. Finally wipe off with a soft terry towel soaked in warm water. I use a 5 gallon pail of water, fold the towel to about a foot square,  rinse and turn the towel frequently. This gets the car clean without scratching. On a car that size you may go thru 2 or 3 towels and a couple of pails of water.

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

You haven't bought it yet?

Absolutely!!!!

I have given a hefty deposit on it so it is my car. I wasn't going to let this one get away.

I am still trying to make room for it and the owner is nice enough to allow me to keep it there until I can get it indoors.

Hopefully that will be in a week or two.

Thanks for all the advice about cleaning it up. I NEVER EVER wash a car like this, or any of my other "old" cars, with a bucket and a hose.

After getting it cleaned up I am going to try that # 7 Glaze that was suggested by another Forum member. Of course I will try it on a section

of the car that is not so easy to see - JUST IN CASE.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C Carl said:

Real thrilled along with you, Joe ! Start looking for that R.H. Fog light lens, and whatever trim is also missing on it. May be hard to find.  -   CC 

Thanks for sharing in my excitement.

As far as the lens goes there is a replacement in the car.

Also, there is no trim missing.

Will update ASAP.

Joe

Got the 49 Caddy home on Friday.

I wanted to take some pics of the car outside before I rolled it into the garage but I needed help and my friend stopped over to help me and he had to leave so I didn't get any. Shame on me...

Anyway, I started washing off the 4 1/2 year old dust from the car and it is looking good. I didn't even use any soap or cleaner. Just water.

I took a few pics but I did not get them off my camera yet but as soon as I do I will post them.

I started to clean up some of the chrome, too, and it looks nice. The only issue is the hubcaps which have some heavier rust. What would be a good suggestion

to try and remove it? These Sombreros are very expensive and I want to clean these up as best as I can.

While cleaning the roof on the drivers side I got a bit of a surprise - and not a good one.

Under all the dust, and which was not visible until it was cleaned off, I came across a couple of small dings in the roof - one above the drivers door and a couple smaller ones above the drivers side rear door. It looks like something may have fallen against the car and made the dings. I was a little bummed out about it at first but then I need to realize that I am looking at a 70 year old car and given that fact the car is in amazing condition - with a few minor things but I suppose they could be worse and I have to accept the fact that these things happen.

Joe

• Like 1

I’m not sure if this would work, due to the metal thickness and type of paint on these old cars, but I’d have a “paint-less dent remover” technician take a look at the problem and see if he could work them out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

I’m not sure if this would work, due to the metal thickness and type of paint on these old cars, but I’d have a “paint-less dent remover” technician take a look at the problem and see if he could work them out.

I would try that too. If the dent did not damage the paint, chance is good to do the operation in reverse.

My third Cadillac was one of those. A late '49, a 62 with the fog lights like yours. A dark green one. But it's been a while, now. High school days. Pushing 60 years ago. And speaking of pushing  : I have distinct memories of push-starting the dozen or so year old used car to start it. Get it going in neutral, and drop it into low. I seem to remember that it was considered a harmless procedure back then. I would guess it still is. I bought it from a doctor. $150. But of course that might be something  like a couple of grand these days. Could you buy a 12 year old Cadillac for $2000 these days ? Yeah, but it would be a real beater. Mine wasn't. Find a mint, loaded, low mileage (and I mean not much more than 20 thou', even less still comes up from time to time), 2007 DTS, or STS and take VERY good care of it. Take your pick of colors if you like. They are fantastic cars. And at current prices, well worth doing all maintenance, including whatever major surgery it may require. Move quickly with cash when you find one. Oh, and don't try to push start it.   -  Cadillac Carl 

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

Joe, incase you don't know, that transmission will lock for parking even though there is not a Park position on the quadrant.  You turn the engine off and then shift into Reverse and it locks the transmission.

Thanks.

The owner told me that, too.

6 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

To me, it's amazing to find such a car in that good condition!

Thanks. It has a couple of dings here and there but I guess at almost 70 years old it could be a lot worse.

The interior is so nice, too.

Like I said it has always been garaged and it shows.

I intend to do the mechanical work in the fall when it gets cooler. Just too hot now. I am only cleaning and polishing and I feel the heat.

Joe

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish in the little white can works spectacular on chrome if you get around to really polishing up the chrome.  I have used it on everything from perfect NOS chrome to Freshly replated parts,  to old tired stuff.  I don't care what any one else pitches I will put a 5.99 can up against anything they drag up for 20.00 or more a tube.  Been using it for 30 years since I was in my early teens polishing my dad's 18 wheeler.  Yes it says not for chrome on the can, but that's meant that eventually you will wear through the chrome.  With any polishing job,  the only way to truly polish is by removing the dead top layer and contaminents held in it. 

That's what I used on that Caddy,  except I used it for everything on the whole car including paint. 

I'm wet sanding my 40 Ford coupe Acrylic enamel paint job out right now with 600 grit on a long block,  because it's so messed up and after a follow up with 1000 and 1500,  I'm hand polishing it out with mothers.  In fact I just bought a new can to be sure I don't run out. Friends can't believe the finish it leaves.  For follow up I then use the # 7 Show car glaze. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 8/13/2018 at 7:22 PM, auburnseeker said:

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish in the little white can works spectacular on chrome if you get around to really polishing up the chrome.  I have used it on everything from perfect NOS chrome to Freshly replated parts,  to old tired stuff.  I don't care what any one else pitches I will put a 5.99 can up against anything they drag up for 20.00 or more a tube.  Been using it for 30 years since I was in my early teens polishing my dad's 18 wheeler.  Yes it says not for chrome on the can, but that's meant that eventually you will wear through the chrome.  With any polishing job,  the only way to truly polish is by removing the dead top layer and contaminents held in it. 

That's what I used on that Caddy,  except I used it for everything on the whole car including paint. 

I'm wet sanding my 40 Ford coupe Acrylic enamel paint job out right now with 600 grit on a long block,  because it's so messed up and after a follow up with 1000 and 1500,  I'm hand polishing it out with mothers.  In fact I just bought a new can to be sure I don't run out. Friends can't believe the finish it leaves.  For follow up I then use the # 7 Show car glaze. 

I do use the Mag & Alum polish. I have not tried it on paint but maybe I will

Thanks, Joe

On 8/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Thanks.

The owner told me that, too.

It's in the owner's manual, too.  If I recall correctly, it says that you turn off the car in neutral, wait a few seconds, and then shift the transmission to reverse.