Interstate Highway System Map

Interstate 83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg was built in 1957-58. As kids we lived very close to the construction, close enough that our plaster ceiling was cracked from the extensive blasting. Brother and I collected hundreds of feet of fine insulated wire in several colors  from the excavations on weekends. We were adults before we realized that what we collected was blasting cap wire and we could have just as easily found an unexploded blasting cap. Luckily we still have all our fingers. Our best fun was tossing small stones down on the bull dozers and other equipment while it was running from our perch at the top of a deep cut near our home.

I don't think the display is correct for Arizona. . . I am very sure sections of I-10 from the New Mexico line into Phoenix were completed by the late 1960s/early 1970s as I either rode on them with Dad driving or drove them myself in that era. 

I remember a family vacation pre Interstate. I was maybe 4 or 5. We drove down Highway 11 from York, PA to Gallatin, Tennesee to visit Dad's brother. As I remember, the trip took 3 days and Dad was proud of the fact that we had only 1 flat on the trip. We were in Dad's '48 Cadillac fastback. Today with the Interstates you could do the trip down in maybe 12 hours tops.

57 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I don't think the display is correct for Arizona. . . I am very sure sections of I-10 from the New Mexico line into Phoenix were completed by the late 1960s/early 1970s as I either rode on them with Dad driving or drove them myself in that era. 

I also wonder about their stating the first completed East-West being the I-80 in 1986.  I thought it was the I-90 a year earlier in early 1985.  I remember driving some 10 miles in Wyoming on the "Temp 90" in the fall of 1984 just before it was completed, which was final uncompleted section of the I-90 to make it the first coast-to-coast East-West interstate.

Craig

56 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Too bad you cannot stop the animation at the specific years.  It just goes too fast to observe it in a meaningful way.  

You can.  In the upper RH corner there is a red play button ( || ). Click on it to stop the animation.  Click again to restart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Too bad you cannot stop the animation at the specific years.  It just goes too fast to observe it in a meaningful way.  

Wait to the end, or click on the skip to end button (top right). Then there is a slider that allows you to go to specific times.

Interesting. I travelled quite a few miles of Interstate on my 1978 trip. I visited some folks in Green River, Wyoming, which had the 80 quite close by. I recall them saying that it had been a gravel road up til the year before when the 80 was put through. The map shows the 80 being through Wyoming in the '60s.

I-80 used to be a favorite road to travel with an old car, not anymore! I remember running out of gas between Wells and Elco Nevada in about 1968. I was too cheap to pay the price of gas in Wells so I ran out of gas several miles outside of Elco. I was driving my 1963 Cutlass convertible, with the top down, of course. I never would have guessed that there wouldn't have been any gas along that 130 mile stretch of road, but that taught me a lesson.  I had only walked about a hundred years when I was picked up by a passing motorist. I still use I-80 when I want to make time, but it's not the same road and the times are very different.

21 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I70 wasn’t through CO until 1992?  I never knew that. 

The western end of I 70 in Colorado goes through a narrow, crooked canyon. It was very difficult to build in that location, not to mention very expensive. It’s a beautiful drive with the Interstate being elevated for a long distance. Beneath it is a river used by kyacks.

1 hour ago, Mike36 said:

The western end of I 70 in Colorado goes through a narrow, crooked canyon. It was very difficult to build in that location, not to mention very expensive. It’s a beautiful drive with the Interstate being elevated for a long distance. Beneath it is a river used by kyacks.

I have driven it before.  It’s neat how it’s squeezed in there.   Very beautiful, even for an interstate.  I took these photos.

4EAB9BD9-8404-4420-A7DC-59637BE2117A.jpeg

A5BA333B-3DB0-4B2D-BEB2-9F39AA862E1D.jpeg

3C48642C-7876-4283-8615-7126473CF3D8.jpeg

I remember as a kid we would travel RT 6 from Chicago to Denver (I think it went all the way) and dad was happy averaging 45+ miles per hour!   Now it is almost twice that speed or you get run over. 

Dave S 

• Like 1