1 - 1/4 inch NPT pipe die wanted, buy or borrow

trimacar

51 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Now I'm really curious.  Just what is it that you are doing?  How about some pictures?

I will send pictures once I am successful and thus won't become a laughing stock.  What is a laughing stock, anyway?

My 1910 Buick Model 16 is a four cylinder engine, cast in pairs.  Thus, each of the two blocks, or jugs, have two pistons in them.  On each side of each jug, there are two casting holes, thus eight in total.  A "casting hole" is what a lot of people call the "freeze plug hole", the initial purpose of this hole has nothing to do with freezing and everything to do with access to the inner water jacket of the blocks.

Each hole is threaded, NPT 1 -1/4 inch, and each hole has a square drive plug in it.  These are new jugs, and the old plugs out of the original jugs are non-removable at this point in time.  Thus, new plugs were bought, but the problem is that these new plugs hit the outer cylinder wall before they seal the hole.  Thus, each plug had to be cut, the cut was in to the square drive, the back end then welded/brazed shut.  The plugs don't start well into the tapped hole with these modifications, thus I'm doing some thread chasing.

Does all that make sense?

Again, I'll post pictures when I feel successful.  I've already done one plug, and it's real close to having the right threads, just needs to be cut a shade further.

16 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Maybe a better approach would have been to make new ones from scratch. Maybe not. Might still come to that. Good luck..........Bob

That was discussed at length with my machinist friend, and modification seemed to be the best route to go.  One of the factors is the fact the plug has a 3/4 inch square drive in the exposed end.

Right now I have one that fits well and two that are almost there, so making progress!  It's a one hour job that shouldn't take me more than eight hours, I GAR-ONT-TEE....Mahn, I need Pierre and Boudreaux helpin' me on dis one, dat would shore speed dis process up to twice as long......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trimacar said:

One of the factors is the fact the plug has a 3/4 inch square drive in the exposed end.

Almost always more than one way to skin a cat. Some better than others and some more necessary than others.

I might have solved the Square drive problem by fabricating the plug in two pieces and making the 3/4" drive with a tenon than was TIGed or silver brazed into the plug. Just sayin. If your plan works it's likely the least time consuming................Bob

The 3/4 drive in the plug is female, if that makes a difference to your plan.  Yes, I agree there's always more than one way to skin a cat, the hard part is finding someone to HOLD the cat......thanks!  dc

I guess you could use the tapered, threaded, end of a piece of pipe, then machine a round plug with a broached square hole, weld into the pipe, and seal the back of the square hole.  The other restraint is that the entire plug depth can only be about 1/2 inch, so some of this plug disappears....

plug.gif.291d7cbf84d1bbe7fc900d54fc7777fe.gif

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

if that makes a difference to your plan

Yup, that's a complication. I pictured a standard male drive lug

I guess you could use the tapered, threaded, end of a piece of pipe, then machine a round plug with a broached square hole, weld into the pipe, and seal the back of the square hole

Likely the least best way to do the skinning.

the hard part is finding someone to HOLD the cat

Yup, clamping, holding, fixturing is often 90% of the problem. 

It looks like you're skinning as best as it gets for what you got. I can see other ways but more time consuming/expensive as in single pointing the threads and plunge EDMing the socket

Have fun that's the most important part..........Bob

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I once met with a client and said the phrase "There is more then one way to skin a cat" and she looked at me and seriously asked me "What do you have against cats?" 

Turns out she was a cat lover and we didn't do any business...

Likely did you a favor..............Bob

• Like 1

A male drive lug wouldn't work, nor is it original.  The space between jugs is maybe half an inch, so these plus need to be darn near flush with surface.

As to the cat comment, a lot of fun and diversity of life is being sucked out by things taken literally and every word or phrased picked apart.  A friend recently overheard in a restaurant one young guy tell another young guy "keep your cotton pickin' hands off my roll", and the guy uttering the phrase was then accused of being racist.  Sheesh.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

As to the cat comment, a lot of fun and diversity of life is being sucked out by things taken literally and every word or phrased picked apart.  A friend recently overheard in a restaurant one young guy tell another young guy "keep your cotton pickin' hands off my roll", and the guy uttering the phrase was then accused of being racist.  Sheesh.  

None other than our beloved Ralph Nader said in a recent interview that the problem with today's' youth is that their skin is so thin it can be blistered by moonbeams. I am almost beginning to like him.

Well, happy to report success.  Piece of pipe for a handle for the die, then pipe clamped in my small vise.  I have other vices, but that's a different story.  Reversed dies. Thanks for advice on correct order for the four die pieces!

Threaded them deep as they would go, and all fit fine!

Thanks for all the advice and help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Gasoila would be a good choice, I have that in stock......a friend of mine told ne JBWeld is removable with heat....but these plugs will never be removed in my lifetime, so I don't mind an SEP engineering solution (Someone Else's Problem)......

Interesting. The Gasoila I have is white. They have many products listed on their website.

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

I don't mind an SEP engineering solution (Someone Else's Problem)

Well, since I didn't see a smiley face after this, I can say your work ethic just dropped in my opinion. Insert sad smiley here. We are not building used cars for sale at the local untrustworthy lot!;) 

But, despite the comment, epoxy or JB weld can be removed with heat. Heat from a propane torch loosens the epoxy we use at work on SS plumbing fittings. R&D work, so they do not like leaks, but are always changing things! Most people heat things that do not unscrew easy. So I would not consider this an SEP.

My comment was tongue in cheek.  However the plugs are installed, they won't fail for a long, long, time.  I figure the SEP is at 60 to 80 years from now......The SEP comment was a joke in my industrial career, but one I never followed, only laughed at.

If you follow my comments, you'll notice I don't use emoticons or whatever they're called.  My work ethic is healthy, but I appreciate your concern!

Yes, at 600 degrees F JB Weld will give way.....

And by the way, that's not a Model 16 engine, but rather a later one with the external water pump drive.  Maybe 1911 or 1912.....  The Model 16 (and 17) of 1909 and 1910 drive the water pump through the side of the crankcase, driven by a gear on the camshaft.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Even the red "permanent" locktite can be remove with torch heat. I'm not sure if the blue would be right for this application because of the heat. Maybe someone who has made the effort to read the specs can say for sure, but it doesn't seem right to use the blue here to me, being it is a cylinder wall which gets hot.

Blue - Service Temperature: -65°F (-54°C) to 300°F (149°C) - Specs - http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_BLUE_tds.pdf

Red - Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded
fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces.
It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only
removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F 

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_RED_tds.pdf

55 minutes ago, trimacar said:

The SEP comment was a joke in my industrial career, but one I never followed, only laughed at.

Excellent!  Yes, from reading your posts it seemed out of place.;)

I got used to using these things::blink:     years ago on another forum because typing quick does not show inflection and caused some misunderstandings.

And by the way, that's not a Model 16 engine, but rather a later one with the external water pump drive.  Maybe 1911 or 1912.....  The Model 16 (and 17) of 1909 and 1910 drive the water pump through the side of the crankcase, driven by a gear on the camshaft.

WHAT? I was on the internet, you men to tell me there is Fake Internet Info? Ruined my weekend. Bob 

I'm confused as to why these have to be so tight... are we talking about the water jacket plugs or the valve cages? For the water jackets, I'd use any hardening thread sealer. I like the red gasolia but I'm sure there are others. If we are talking about the valve cages, shouldn't they have gaskets at the base that prevent blow-by? I certainly wouldn't put any hardening thread sealer on them, even one that can be softened with heat. Can you imagine the frustration of having to dismantle the engine to heat the blocks in order to unscrew a valve cage... or , at best, destroy the paint on the engine heating the locks with a torch? I'd want to strangle the guy who did that.

7 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I'm confused as to why these have to be so tight... are we talking about the water jacket plugs or the valve cages? For the water jackets, I'd use any hardening thread sealer. I like the red gasolia but I'm sure there are others. If we are talking about the valve cages, shouldn't they have gaskets at the base that prevent blow-by? I certainly wouldn't put any hardening thread sealer on them, even one that can be softened with heat. Can you imagine the frustration of having to dismantle the engine to heat the blocks in order to unscrew a valve cage... or , at best, destroy the paint on the engine heating the locks with a torch? I'd want to strangle the guy who did that.

These are for the water jacket, to seal the casting holes in the sides of the jugs.  Thus, they have to be water tight. It's the two plugs with square drives,  one top and one bottom, you see in the side of the jugs in this picture.

I'm not talking about the valve cages, that's a whole 'nuther story.  The valve cages are threaded too, but those are straight threads, not tapered like the casting holes and associated plugs.

I'm leaning toward a thread sealant, such as the one mike6024 suggests, and I think Restorer32 may have meant this too when stating Loctite... 

Also, here's a Model 16/17 engine, note how the water pump comes out of the side of the crankcase.  These are 35/40 HP, so a good size engine.  Lots of stuff going on when the engine is running, overhead valves and associated rocker arms were not the common method of engine design during that period.

thanks!  dc

Buick jugs.jpg

IMG_0190.JPG

• Like 2

Well, I did get out the roll of duct tape, but didn't have much left on the roll and wanted to save it for an important repair.....

Or I could be like Pierre and Boudreaux, duck hunters from Louisiana, mahn, you git dat duck tape, an' you spread it out on the groun', dem sticky side up, and when dem duck land on it dey get stuck, mahn, dey easy to shoot din I gar-on-tee.......

No, I also would not recommend using J B Weld as a sealant. I have had good results with a Loctite product PN 56931. It is specifically made for pipe threads in automotive work. There are also numerous sealants available as others have suggested. From what you describe the last thing you want to do is to have to take your motor apart because of a leak. J B Weld is not a thread sealant.

Trim, I don't mean to hijack your topic, but after some suggestions to use Loctite Blue or Red Thread Locker on your pipe threads I decided to ask Locktite. I just received their communication and their technician said that Red And Blue Thread Lock should be used exclusively to anchor threads between nut and bolt, machine threads only. As advertised it is a thread locker. I pointed out that in the description it also states that it "seals" between the threads. He admitted that it might be confusing but he said that it seals between machine threads and that is to assure locking capability of the product. He said that Red and Blue Loctite was never marketed to be used on plumbing threads.

• Like 1

I'm going to try some Loctite 569 series, as suggested by Woodie....it's a hydraulic pipe joint compound, so it sounds like it should work, one gets what one pays for, and this stuff is just slightly under the price of gold per ounce, so should be great!  (and I'm joking, so no need to go look up gold prices...)

Thanks for all the help....dc

The original plugs do not unscrew, at least using a respectful force on the breaker bar.  Heat might remove them, but there really wasn't a point, and figured making new ones was easier.

I'm sure they used some kind of joint compound, as mentioned.  Once they're in place, there's really no need to every remove them.