1954 SPECIAL CONVERTIBLE ON HEMMINGS.COM - $12,995

Marty Roth

NOT MINE - ON HEMMINGS .COM - this popped up today - in Georgia

Mr. Earl ? maybe this would be a welcome addition for you or someone else on our FORUM?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/46c/2053874.html?refer=news

Transmission: Auto
Condition: Project
Exterior: Light Blue
Interior: Blue

Seller’s Description: Here's your chance to get into a project for much less than has been spent! It's pretty easy to see yourself driving down the road with this one! The restoration was begun many years ago. As happens, from time to time, it sat uncompleted as life-circumstances changed for the owner and the restorer. Ultimately, it was decided to put it back together and sell so that it will be able to provide enjoyment to a new owner. I'm helping sell the car and will answer questions as best I can. The rust repair was done and body painted some time ago. Although I rate it as an amateur quality, it presents itself very well as it's sound and shiny with a slight color-sanding having been performed. There was a lot of detail work done to the firewall components. The bumpers and grill have been re-chromed and they look great! Wheels have been painted and tires installed. Tires were new at the time the project was started but are old now. 100% tread on them. The whitewalls are a little off-white which may be able to be restored back to a pristine-white as there are no dark blemishes on them. The car was brought to me to install the remaining trim and original interior. The stainless is in great condition. Most trim pieces are in excellent condition. A couple have tiny dings. One piece of stainless (in front of driver's rear wheel well) looks a little wavy from repair. I showed it best I could in photo. The original chrome is shiny and will work for a driver car. All pot-metal pieces have the typical pock-marks that show up after 65yrs. I tried to show those in photos, as well. Carpet is brand new. The upholstery is original. Rear seat and door panels have no rips. The damage to driver's seat is pictured. Two discolored spots on the paint are noticeable. One is atop the passenger front fender and looks "tannish" and one is on the passenger side and looks "whiteish". They may sand/buff out but are so slight that I didn't want to risk creating problems. Brakes are redone. All wheel cylinders were replaced and m/c kit installed. Drums turned and are still thick. Brake shoes have very little wear. With exception of the brakes, the bottom side of the car looks untouched. Therefore, I don't believe there was any other mechanical work done. We aren't sure of the condition of the motor/transmission and had hoped to get the car running and driving. Unfortunately, previous restorer lost some components necessary to do so (starter, carburetor, radiator). Therefore, we left it as you see it. Original wiring harness is in tact and left loose in the engine bay and trunk. Trunk has been lined with a period vinyl material. It will need a new top. The top covering was removed. The top pads left if place so the trimmer will be able to measure it easily. It's also missing the keys. That's why the lock isn't installed in the trunk. Basically, what you see is what you get. The only items not pictured that will go with it are the factory oil-bath air cleaner, two shop manuals, misc hardware, and about a pint of leftover paint. It has a clear Florida title in the owner's name. He will give all his records/expenses to the new owner. I've tried to describe this car as best I can. It's going to be a project for sure, but one that can be completed by a mechanic and upholsterer. So, avoid sending your project to "paint prison" and buy this one!

Price: $12,995  

61560579-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Hey Marty, I hate to keep saying this and I am sure some are tired of hearing it....If I were a young man....

I actually know this car and did consider it and collaborated with the seller on coming up with a fair price for him to ask for it. I doubt there is much if any wiggle room in the price. About all I want to say about it is that the seller is a stand up guy, the description is dead on and for the money, one can't go wrong in buying it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Hey Marty, I hate to keep saying this and I am sure some are tired of hearing it....If I were a young man....

I actually know this car and did consider it and collaborated with the seller on coming up with a fair price for him to ask for it. I doubt there is much if any wiggle room in the price. About all I want to say about it is that the seller is a stand up guy, the description is dead on and for the money, one can't go wrong in buying it.

Mr. Earl, thank you for your follow up comment - The car looked "right" so I posted it here.

Somebody on OUR FORUM should grab this Buick!

If I didn't already have my 1937 Roadmaster 80C, (and the 1954 Cadillac) ...

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 004.jpg

1937 Buick at Oak Alley Plantation.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 009.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 007.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I doubt there is much if any wiggle room in the price.

I am surprised the car is still available. It may not be. This is an example of the deals I have been predicting for the future. And I expect them to get better as we move into the '20's.

One thing that catches my eye frequently, and I void using, is the 995 tacked to the end. If a guy wants $13,000 for a car just write $13,000. I always get the mental image of a second rate used car dealer hunched over his desk going "He he, they only see the 12 and don't know it is an extra thousand." I can't help it. I grew up in that shifty atmosphere and it jumps off the page at me every time.

Bernie (all cars sold with round numbers)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

This is an example of the deals I have been predicting for the future.

Bernie, I agree that there will be more deals like this, on project cars.  This one looks good in the pictures, and I think it's well worth the asking price, but it's still a big project.  Paint needs to be repaired, needs new interior and top, needs probably 10K in pot metal chrome if not more, mechanicals are unknown, and engine has pretty paint on it but no guarantee it's a good engine.  If one just wants a fun beater, then maybe there's not a lot of money to be spent, get it running and a new top, fix mechanicals, maybe new tires.  If someone wants a finished car, I see another 25K that could go into this car pretty easily, maybe more.

Project cars have been getting cheaper, but I don't see good quality, finished, cars getting less expensive any time soon.  That said, I'm sure the market will adjust at some point, as all markets do..

13 + 25+ 38, the equivalent of 35K added is probably closer. That is where the opportunity to add value is becoming more available than purchasing the added value.  Over a ten year period I could see Putting 10-15 into it during the first 2 years to make a driver and averaging $1500 per year over the next 8. My cars have had a similar schedule of expense, just proportioned to lower dollars. Amazing how fast the years pass. But an annual goal helps. This example shows the "entry fee" dropping, where 20 years ago it could have been hustled off the a shop. That is a good thing for the hobbyist who can add value on their own.

I think it is a good thing because it allows opportunities for both the financial investor and the sweat investor.

A few years ago I bought one of my select dream cars, a 1961 XKE major project. I sold it after calculating the need to spend about $7,000 a year for the next 10 years to have a car I could drive to town for coffee, not a show car. Luckily, that market still exists and the car may be restored due to its low VIN. I turned the money back into my hobby cars, a + + for all.

I am happy to see this Buick convertible at an attainable price for the amateur restorer. There are changes, but you need to be aware and watch for them. In the past decade I have found myself spending more personal time with friends deeply involved in working on their cars, whether maintaining or restoring, and less time with social groups where dinner and unrelated topics displace car talk. Maybe the availability of these desirable projects will create it's own shift. I would like to think so.

As to the "if I was younger" concept,  I can start all my cars and drive them out of the garage and down the road. I NEED something all torn apart in the garage. It has always been that way and my skin don't feel right today!

Bernie

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Just read last sentence in seller description where he referenced "Paint Prison"

First I heard that one but man what an accurate comparison. :( Always there longer than you want to be and end up getting the shaft before you get out. :o

The seller knows the ropes of classic car restoration. He was one of the "honest" employees from "Honest Charlies" .

Apparently sold that’s good news for owner and me , have been severely tempted ever since it  appeared on forum particularly by price and what appears for a straight forward cosmetic restoration. However ,, thankfully Bernie cooled my  interest with his post mentioning 25k restoration costs , probably assuming car was still in US , but I think it would cost me a fair bit more with shipping  of car and cost of likely parts plus shipping to Cyprus and the deadly import tax . Probably adding a further12k at least , which brings total to approx 50k , to rich for me at present and not such a bargain as I thought. If I had 50 k to spend seen  a couple beauties for sale on this forum recently , a roadmaster and a super both fully restored and costing less.

I find this forum very interesting , and specially like following the progress of the restoration projects often posted on here,  I am always amazed at the finished cars and applaud the skills and diversity of skills shown by many of the forum members . That’s why the potential of this 54 tempted me . ? 

Good luck to new owner , however, probably make me jealous if results of restoration are eventually posted. Cest la vie ! ?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 6:45 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Marty, I love that '37 Buick.  Why don't you bring it to Mobile so I can see it in person?  Or, you could bring it on the Sentimental Tour in Mississippi..................not that far from your home.

Earl, as the post noted, it is not my car - I only saw the ad and posted it here for others to see. 

Mr. Earl knows the owner as an honest person

7 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Earl, as the post noted, it is not my car - I only saw the ad and posted it here for others to see. 

Mr. Earl knows the owner as an honest person

Marty,

You have a '37 Roadmaster 4dr conv don't you still? I thought the pictured car was the one you have, so my question still stands. 

On 1/15/2018 at 5:43 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Marty,

You have a '37 Roadmaster 4dr conv don't you still? I thought the pictured car was the one you have, so my question still stands. 

yes Earl, I still have my 1937 80C, and a '54 Caddy, but not a '54 Buick

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)