The worst of times

Joe in Canada

Ever have your car let you down at the worst of times! I only ever entered my car in one judged meet. I had my car at the Gillmor experience display only  and received an invite to register  for the Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance. I was talked into entering my car by a friend who was also going saying we would have a great time. Well all I can say is everything went great until the judges arrived. My wife is very punctual so we arrived when the gates opened at 5:30 AM to put your car on the show field in the dark. It was a cold overcast day calling for rain over looking Georgian Bay to say the least. Anyway a judge asked me to lower the drivers window for operation. Well the window jammed 1/4 the way down and so much for window operation. Next they asked me to start my car and let it idle then open the hood. So I have a judge at the same time looking at my factory accessory trunk on the back while I am revving  my engine. Seeing my wife had me there 6 HR earlier the engine is cold sitting on a damp shore line I am really trying to worm it up fast .  Well when the judges came over to shake my hand, the fellow that was checking out by trunk had a large round black carbon spot on his pant leg from my exhaust. I was just hoping he would leave my car before he noticed it.

I was told I was to receive a ribbon so be prepared to drive the car to the stage. So there we were on the show field taking my door apart to get my window down by taking out the window regulator to receive my ribbon.  I had many people walking by shaking their head but others that understood and offered encouragement and help. I still get comments from friends about that weekend.

2015-09-12 cobble beach 040.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Oh boy, I feel your pain Joe.  At a concours in California I had the radiator fan on the 1911 white Olds Limited in your other thread come apart about 30 minutes before the award ceremony.  It was a fan with a ring around the outer edge and it made a mess out of things let alone the $5,000 plus radiator.  I was able to get the car to the display, hands a bit dirty and soaked in sweat (it was 90 out that day) but the drive through ended.  Very embarrassing. 

6 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Next they asked me to start my car and let it idle then open the hood. So I have a judge at the same time looking at my factory accessory trunk on the back while I am revving  my engine....  the fellow that was checking out by trunk had a large round black carbon spot on his pant leg from my exhaust.

Not so tragic, but a funny story!

The judges should have known better.

Maybe that's why my friendly neighborhood mechanic

doesn't wear white.

• Like 1

This is why I prefer driving tours and similar events.  They're usually attended by people who enjoy driving their cars, and feature cars with chips, grease and loving wear.  Break down and everyone stops and gathers around to help.  Very few enclosed trailers in sight.  Everyone has their own road to travel, and if you enjoy Concours events, more power to you.  Personally, the view of row after row of people wearing exactly the same "sporty" outfits coldly observing your car as it drives by displaying a colored ribbon (damn, 60FlatTop, it does look like a funeral) is not my idea of fun.

I know if I was on a Dodge Brothers Club tour and my window wouldn't roll down, I'd be surrounded by club members helping me fix the problem, not five guys in blazers, white pants and hats gazing with disapproval while I nervously tried to solve the problem.  Now, please, all the Concours guys, this isn't a knock at your source of enjoyment with old cars or of that type of event, it's just me preferring dirt under my fingernails, the wind in my face, and not being worried about a stone chip.  To each his own.  And a very funny story, Joe.

• Like 6

I participated in the 2011 Amelia Island Concours, where judging was based on "elegance," with no technical judging.  No need to start your engine for judging, or even to open the hood.  There were FABULOUS cars displayed there, making Amelia the east coast version of Pebble Beach.  My position was on a hill mass where I could observe half of the field.  When 1st and 2nd in class cars were required to drive up to receive their award hardware, I personally observed SEVEN such cars within my field of view which had to be tow-started by the Ritz-Carlton's garden tractors for them to make that short journey.

That was the first and only time I've been to Amelia, and probably won't return. 

Guest SaddleRider
27 minutes ago, Grimy said:

I personally observed SEVEN such cars within my field of view which had to be tow-started by the Ritz-Carlton's garden tractors for them to make that short journey.  That was the first and only time I've been to Amelia, and probably won't return. 

"Grimy's " experience at Amelia is hardly unique  - reflects what has happened to the old car hobby down thru the years - I suspect "Grimy" is a bit younger than me,  but seems to share, at least in this respect,  how some of us "old-timers" feel about the changes.

I had a similar experience - about ten years ago at a super-prestigious event out west  (names with-held to protect the offender....!).    My Rolls "New Phantom" was parked next to another Phantom 1  - (also a "Springfield" incidentally).     

Judging team looks over the car....literally "jewelry case" perfect restoration.    Lead judge asks the owner to start it.  Owner gets a puzzled look on his face....asks the judge "why".....he wasn't being funny - he was just curious.  Judge explained to him that was part of a car's being judged...to show how well it ran.  Owner says something to the effect he has people who do that for him - needed a few minutes to round up his staff.   Staff was found, started the Rolls,  and everyone was happy, including the owner who got a nice trophy.....!

A little off subject. I was not at a show but doing an errand in the car with antique plates not meant for doing that type driving. A cop car pulls in behind me just as I have a right rear blow out. The cop put on the mars lights and I pull over, get out and see I lost the hub cap so start walking to get it. Three cops get out of the squad. I go back to the beast as they are walking around it then started asking questions about it. They then changed the tire for me and sent me on my way.  No problems at all about the antique tags. I sent a letter of appreciation to the chief and mayor praising all three - one Sargent and two trainees. Received a thank you back from both chief and mayor. All well that ends well.  

• Like 4

Joe,  Great story!  Having seen your beautiful car run perfectly on tour when others were falling by the wayside, I hope you weren't too  put off! :D  I was on the other side of the clip board  (actually, iPad)at Pinehurst this year.  Three days before the event I was invited to be a guest judge (since a European judge could not make it) and told three possible classes I might judge.  I spent most of those three days preparing.  Naturally, I wound up being assigned to another class.  Fortunately, the AACA Guidelines got me through it... That and having judged a similar class the year before at Hershey.  Anyway, you have a beautiful car!  Be proud!

Joe, while your beautiful Cadillac is certainly worthy of Concourse presentation, I was delighted to see that you and Lynne drove it on the 2017 AACA Vintage Tour - a 3-hub 5-day drive through north central Pennsylvania and southwestern New York State. Thank you for bringing your car down from Ontario to share it with us. We look forward to continuing to tour with you and Lynne, and appreciate your support of AACA Touring.

47 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Joe, while your beautiful Cadillac is certainly worthy of Concourse presentation, I was delighted to see that you and Lynne drove it on the 2017 AACA Vintage Tour - a 3-hub 5-day drive through north central Pennsylvania and southwestern New York State. Thank you for bringing your car down from Ontario to share it with us. We look forward to continuing to tour with you and Lynne, and appreciate your support of AACA Touring.

Thanks Marty and we are seriously considering going on the next Vintage tour in 2019.

• Like 2

A. Congrats on the win!! Very exciting!

B. Sorry for all of the excess "excitement" 

C.  I need to take my shoes off to count how many times my 454SS has broken down while out of town... someday my husband will make good on his promise of lighting it on fire! lol

• Haha 2

I completely understand, and am truly sorry that the difficulties took away from your experience.. I vividly recall my drive by  ( participation award only) at this years Elegance at Hershey. My wife was sitting beside me without a care in the world ( and I'm happy for that) waving like the Queen to the spectators. Me, I'm sitting there thinking " you've never quit on me before, PLEASE don't do it now", with my eyes darting back and forth between the oil pressure and temp gauges.  I was so wrapped up in that aspect of it that I didn't look at the crowd or  hear a word the announcer said during my time stopped at the review stand. And then it was over. I regret that I didn't even allow myself to enjoy the experience. I can only imagine the pressure at say, Pebble Beach with a high dollar car. Sounds like you handled everything very well. Congrats.

elegance at hershey.PNG

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I've seen many a car pushed over the judges stand at Pebble.  I used to be terrified of this sort of thing, and actually had a bad experience back at Meadowbrook.  The ring master came over to send me to the stand and with about 40 people watching me I proceeded to flip the 5 of the 6 switches to start the car.  Since I missed the last one, it didn't start.   Total pilot error.   I wanted to crawl under the dash.   But this stuff does not bother me anymore,  and I advise everyone to keep it in perspective.  Nobody is dying when our cars fail us at a show.

• Like 2

Guest SaddleRider
6 hours ago, cahartley said:

I don't care what it is.........if you have ANYTHING with an engine and take it to a show something will go wrong.

It could run perfectly for 17 years.......until you take it to a show........ :blink:

Ah...I see...you are a FORD owner.!

Here's an idea...go to an auto show in a Cadillac, Rolls,  or Packard.   Mine have run perfectly for 17 years....heck..even 18 years...come to think of it...sixty one years....!

Edited by SaddleRider
apple sauce (see edit history)

4 hours ago, SaddleRider said:

Ah...I see...you are a FORD owner.!

Here's an idea...go to an auto show in a Cadillac, Rolls,  or Packard.   Mine have run perfectly for 17 years....heck..even 18 years...come to think of it...sixty one years....!

I do not think that is a Ford. Looks more like a 32 Confederate, but I have been wrong before.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

How about having both your car and a tow vehicle giving problems?

The first marque national meet I ever attended was a five-hour freeway drive from home.  My car made it just fine to the city where the show was, then the automatic transmission would not upshift into third gear no matter what.  A great way to start off a meet, spent an hour on Friday evening driving around town and trying to figure out the problem.  Instead of enjoying the show on Saturday, the first priority became lining up a way to get the car, me, and my travel buddy (TB) back home on Sunday as we had to be at work on Monday.  I also withdrew the car from the show, not knowing if I might have to leave on Saturday to have a local shop look at the transmission or deliver it somewhere for a long-distance tow.

I wound up renting a medium-duty U-Haul truck and car trailer for a one-way haul.  The truck was only about a year old, but that would prove to be no guarantee against mechanical problems.  Loaded up and heading down the freeway, my TB was driving and asked me what the red light on the dash was for.  I look over and see that it's the brake warning light.  Upon informing TB of the light's function, he starts pumping the brake pedal and promptly uses up the reserve power assist for braking.  I then tell him to slow down and take the next off-ramp.  With no power brake reserve, we wind up stopping about fifteen feet into the intersection at the bottom of the off-ramp.  Fortunately, no cross traffic at the time.  We then very slowly proceed to a restaurant parking lot, where we find that the v-belt for the truck's brake booster pump has shredded itself.  A call to U-Haul has a tech showing up about four hours later.  After we are on our way again, an hour or two later, it seems we're set for a trouble-free journey the rest of the way home.

Later that evening, while I'm driving, my TB asks me why there's no cars right behind us and there seems to be sort of a dim yellow light behind us.  We pull over to find that one of the spring-loaded trailer ramps has popped out and has been dragging behind us.  Thankfully, the ramp was retained by the trailer and did not become a traffic hazard.

Twelve hours after departure, we arrive home after what should have been a five-hour drive.  Monday morning, upon drop-off of the truck and trailer at U-Haul, they give me $15 off off of a $600 rental for the breakdown and delay.

I dropped my car off at the transmission shop to get it checked out.  The shop used my car for chasing parts for a week and it performed perfectly.  For the next seven years, I never had a problem with the transmission.  The only thing I could think of is that the bouncy ride on the trailer fixed whatever was stuck in the transmission.

Despite that trip and experience, I am still attending (and now enjoying) shows.  With a start like mine, it's pretty hard to go anywhere but up in terms of the experience.

My 14 T was commissioned to drive the BRIDE to her wedding.   All the bridesmaids had spent the day before detailing the car.   The chauffeur (me)  walked up to the car, firmly grasped the crank and brought my pride & joy to life.   I helped the anxious bride int the rear seat and off we went.   for 15 feet.  Thats all the further the car would travel.  Determined to be wed, the bride disembarked and walked the 400' to her waiting groom.

It was later determined that the pinion thrust bearing had failed, shearing 1 tooth off the pinion gear, 2 teeth off the ring gear and bent the carrier assy.  NO car show holds a candle to an anxious bride.     12 years later and still married.

• Like 1