NZ Buick

1919 Buick Roadster

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, J.H.Boland said:

There is a 1919 McLaughlin-Buick roadster for sale here in Ontario,Canada.It underwent a concourse restoration 10 years ago and is still winning awards.Only $48000 CDN !

See on Kijiji Ontario.

Jim

1919 Buick roadster 1.JPG

1919 Buick roadster 4.JPG

1919 Buick roadster 3.JPG

1919 Buick roadster 2.JPG

Real bargain when compared with this KIWI offering for a mere $420000!! I guess that's New Zealand dollars and probably a typo?

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/cars-for-sale/1917-BUICK-ROADSTER-JCM4068139?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justauto.com.au%2Fjustcars%2Fsearch%3Fcurrent_page%3D1%26urlname%3D%26search_location_state%3D%26search_vehicle_type%3D%26search_type_make%3DBUICK%26search_type_model%3D%26search_details_earliest_year%3D%26search_details_latest_year%3D%26search_details_lowest_price%3D%26search_details_highest_price%3D%26condition_search%3D%26keywords%3DWhat%2Bare%2Byou%2Blooking%2Bfor%3F&backtext=Results

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I have finally managed to get a photo of it now tucked away in my shed where I have started sorting through what I do and don’t have etc. I am quite pleased that the majority of parts are here and some spares also but as with anything of this age there are some vital parts missing like the marvel carb and I only have one correct wheel at this stage but am happy to get it rolling with a set of 21s on it in the meantime like Rod W’s sedan as I already have some tyres I can make use of in that size 

23D9DBF1-952C-494F-B96E-6EFC95EEE988.jpeg

• Like 1

NZ Buick,    You can not put a 21" wheel onto a 1919  axle.  The 21" wheel requires  a shorter stub axle and larger size bearings.  the top stub axle is off a 1920,  the bottom one fits  a 21" wheel.  The King pins also differed between  1919/20  and 1921/22.    1920  118" wheelbase cars having a 5/8 pin and the later having a 3/4" pin.   which is also longer,  as can be seen in the photo.  You would need to get a later front axle that would take the 21' wheels which has been done on my 1920 sedan.   I also understand the heavier cars on the 124" wheelbase used a different stub axle/axle to the 118"  wheelbase cars.   

You can pick up carby,s  on U,S  ebay.

SAM_0038.JPG

SAM_0039.JPG

s-l1600-15.jpg

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

NZ Buick,    The 1919 and 1920   118"  wheelbase cars are the same,  1918 is the same,  except it does not have engine covers.  There were engine changes in 22/23.   Also in 1921 the gear lever  and hand break lever went from  right  hand to centre  on the commonwealth cars  ( Aust & NZ )

Here is a 1919  for sale at the moment in Aust, for A$20,000 with the Holden body,  which differed to the U.S  body

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966 copy.jpg

Thanks for your info Rod W. I am fairly sure that between the two front axles and the mountain of hubs etc I have got with all the parts I hopefully will have enough parts to make the 21s fit. I’m pretty sure one of the axles may be a 1920 one as it has a bigger hub on one end already. I will keep my eyes out for a marvel carb on eBay and hopefully one becomes available at some point. 

Stuart,   I was also wondering about those wheels.   I contacted the same  seller about the  hood/top  and was told it is off a 4 cylinder  which sounds correct as it has an oval window.   So would assume the wheels are off a 4 also.  I don,t know if those hood  frames could be adapted to fit  a six  as I don,t have any for my 25 Master.  Dibalaw ( Larry )  If you see this could you measure  the width of your top frames on your Master and the length from front to back.  My car is out on the farm at the moment and I won,t  get there  for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Rod

s-l1600-13.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

50jetback.

If using those ASH wire wheels it needs a lot more parts to put them on the car,as hubs and the twin hub caps.

I have 23" ASH Wheels Detroit on my 1924 4 cyl.Buick.

I think 1924 was the last year for that make ASH.

Leif in Sweden.

Buick-24 Wire Wheel Komposition.jpg

hubcaps tool Ash W Wheel.jpg

Buick 1924 4 cyl..JPG

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

50jetback.

If using those ASH wire wheels it needs a lot more parts to put them on the car,as hubs and the twin hub caps.

I have 23" ASH Wheels Detroit on my 1924 4 cyl.Buick.

I think 1924 was the last year for that make ASH.

Leif in Sweden.

Buick-24 Wire Wheel Komposition.jpg

hubcaps tool Ash W Wheel.jpg

Buick 1924 4 cyl..JPG

Leif,

Thanks for the detailed information. 

I have a set of 24" ASH wire wheels and while they look the same as yours the hub, lock ring and hubcap dimensions are all larger so I am assuming they are from the 6 cylinder model. 

Do you, or does anyone know if these wheels will fit a range of years for a 6 cylinder Buick ( i.e. same for maybe 1918 to 1924 ) or would they be correct for only one year?  

My 23" ASH wire wheels can be used on the 4 cyl. Buick cars 1922-1924.But I can`t help you about the 6 cyl cars those years.

I made a misstake 8-10 years ago and bought this very good locking outer hub cap but it was wrong size for me,to "big",I think I bought it from "hubcap collector" in AU thru e-bay. This outer cap is the "lock"cap.I payed $120 US including shipping.Probebly the same size as on your wheel Stuart.

Leif in Sweden.

ASH Wheel capsel Detroit 001.JPG

ASH Wheel capsel Detroit 002.JPG

Navkapsel ASH-Wheels ekerhjul..JPG

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Here are the two from axles I have with my parts it appears they are actually very different. from what I can tell I think the one with the center section that drops down from where the spring mount is is the 1919 one and the straighter of the two is the later one. Can anyone suggest what year this is likely to be from?

143F9510-082E-4841-85FC-20CB631B667E.jpeg

2158269E-A97F-4334-A24F-05648F1C483E.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NZ Buick said:

Here are the two from axles I have with my parts it appears they are actually very different. from what I can tell I think the one with the center section that drops down from where the spring mount is is the 1919 one and the straighter of the two is the later one. Can anyone suggest what year this is likely to be from?

143F9510-082E-4841-85FC-20CB631B667E.jpeg

2158269E-A97F-4334-A24F-05648F1C483E.jpeg

I was under the impression all the wheels you had were wooden spoked

Your photo of the axle shows wire spoked wheels and hubs?  What size are those wheels?

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I don’t believe they are Buick wheels. It appears the front axle has had the stubs welded up and been used under a trailer at some point. I’m unsure what the spoked wheels are off.

Does anybody know if there is anywhere that can supply new brushes for a delco starter generator? I have mine in pieces at the moment and they are too worn to refit.

The straight axle is the Buick axle.  I don,t know what  the other axle is off.

On 23 November 2017 at 10:02 PM, Leif Holmberg said:

My 23" ASH wire wheels can be used on the 4 cyl. Buick cars 1922-1924.But I can`t help you about the 6 cyl cars those years.

I made a misstake 8-10 years ago and bought this very good locking outer hub cap but it was wrong size for me,to "big",I think I bought it from "hubcap collector" in AU thru e-bay. This outer cap is the "lock"cap.I payed $120 US including shipping.Probebly the same size as on your wheel Stuart.

Leif in Sweden.

ASH Wheel capsel Detroit 001.JPG

ASH Wheel capsel Detroit 002.JPG

Navkapsel ASH-Wheels ekerhjul..JPG

Leif,  That hubcap is the same size as mine which fit the  6 cylinder hubs

SAM_0040.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, ROD W said:

Stuart,   I was also wondering about those wheels.   I contacted the same  seller about the  hood/top  and was told it is off a 4 cylinder  which sounds correct as it has an oval window.   So would assume the wheels are off a 4 also.  I don,t know if those hood  frames could be adapted to fit  a six  as I don,t have any for my 25 Master.  Dibalaw ( Larry )  If you see this could you measure  the width of your top frames on your Master and the length from front to back.  My car is out on the farm at the moment and I won,t  get there  for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Rod

s-l1600-13.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

Rod:

Sorry. I was not checking on this thread. I just saw it tonight. The top on my 1925-45 is..... Total length in up position 94 3/4". Measured with top fabric.DSCF5664.thumb.JPG.0fdab04ea924a3b2a120a0c77c9db218.JPG

Front header bow 53 1/2", 2nd bow 56 1/4", 3rd bow 57 1/4" and rear bow 59 1/4" all bows measured where the bows enter the sockets with out top material. The cut down top on my 1925-25 has all the bows the same width front to back. It should also taper out from front to rear.5a1b8903c13ad_DSCF1317-Copy.thumb.JPG.91b540ab9fa5638c9916a7678f53b7a9.JPG

I hope this helps:

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi There, 

Just a quick update for those who are at all interested. Progress has been a little slower than I would have liked but is still progress none the less! I have the engine and gearbox removed from the chassis and have a few more bits to remove before the chassis can be blasted ready for rust repairs. Sump is off the engine and everything inside has a nice thick layer of oily carbon mess that has preserved it all nicely! I will be finishing dismantling the engine shortly in the hope that with a thorough clean out I will hopefully be able to piece back together a running unit without too much trouble. I have rebuilt the starter generator unit ready to bolt on further down the line. Unfortunately I am still stuck for a marvel carb as the various boxes of bits that came with the car only contained the little float bowl cover with the brass Marvel Carb plate so if anyone knows of the whereabouts of one it would be a great help to me. I will try to upload some photos with this post.

Gavin.

64F09CB6-611F-48FA-9D6F-387C17FB7523.jpeg

7204EA73-9A26-4E0A-A50D-72C74438CF99.jpeg

Gavin

Thanks for the update on your car.   Progress is never as fast as we would like.   I,m replacing all the shackle bolts,  king pins/bolts and bushes  on my car at the moment as they are  very worn.   This is the carby on the 1920.  I think 1918 would be the same. On the back are the numbers J2H   B.    I visited the fellow who was selling the blue 1919 a month or so back and was able to pick up a spare gear box,  steering box and front suspension.   He also had a complete spare chassis/frame, engine  and running gear for the car but was not prepared to sell it separately from the car.   I can not remember seeing a spare carby.  but will be visiting the new owner next time I,m down his way  and see what spares he has.   Keep an eye out on U.S Ebay.

Rod

SAM_0058.JPG

SAM_0059.JPG

SAM_0060.JPG

Hi Morgan,

I am very interested in the carb you have for sale if you believe it is complete enough to be rebuilt. Can I get your email address somehow so we can discuss this further and possibly figure out shipping costs etc... your video is very informative also! Where did you find the marvel carb book?

thanks, Gavin.