1919 Buick Roadster

NZ Buick

29 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

You need to talk to people with your actual model car, or resort to the parts catalogue. 15 leaves? No way. 8? No way either. You still haven't told us whether you got a model 45 or 49. 

Sorry Morgan, I have what is going to be a E/H X45 Tourer. Unfortunately I don’t have a ‘car’ as such just a mountain of parts that I was lead to believe was of numerous 1919 Buicks. The two pairs of rear springs I have are 8 and 15 leaves. The 15 leaf pair came off the chassis I bought most recently with a diff etc still mounted under it which I assumed had never been out.

Edited by NZ Buick (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rod Wise said:

NZ Buick,    A lot of these vehicles were converted into utilities  or the rear ends were turned into trailers.  Very likely the rear springs were beefed up for the heavier loads.

Hi Rod,

This is what I’m assuming must have happened at some point. My fathers D45 has 8 leaves in its rear springs so I can only guess I have a pair of them in my parts. Hopefully the 15 leaf ones won’t be too hard!

• 6 months later...

Yes it’s walnut. I had the option of mahogany or walnut and am hopeful the walnut will stand up to our NZ sun better as roof down driving over summer will be a priority in this car. Was modelled off a few photos and measurements taken of my father’s original ‘16 and has come up amazingly!

• Like 2