Emotionally attached to vehicle

Guest Cripp

I have a quick question on buying from an emotionally invested person, my first truck I got when I was 15 I got from my great uncle a 62' Chevy c10 which who bought it in 1962, 61,000 miles all original back in 1985. While working under it I had a Jack failure and broke my neck, so I sold it to a friend of mine who in turn sold it to her brother who has kept it since 1990! Him and his son were going to fix it up, but when the father died not too long ago he willed it to his son. But for like the past 20 years it's been sitting in a field, gathering rust, junk in the back, etc. however he considers that his DAD'S truck and does not want to sell it. I would like to have it back to fix it up how I wanted to make it when I got hurt.

My question is, How to get someone who is emotionally attached to a vehicle to sell it?

Latest pictures in field

My 1962 truck.jpg

Edited by Cripp (see edit history)

He's fully aware of my story because I talk to him about it, and as far as finding another one sure I could do that but it would not be "the original"

If he is not in the position, or simply doesn't have the desire to restore the truck, have you tried the age old persuader of showing him some actual cash? There must be something he wants and can't afford.

It would be a shame if the truck just sat and deteriorated more when it could be saved. I believe they call this demolition through neglect.

Good luck.

Well the thing is I'm in DFW area, he lives in Illinois and the truck is in Kentucky and I cannot travel at all to do that. I have offered him money for it, just ask team if $5000 would take it off his hands and he did not like that.

I have bought and sold a lot of cars, motorcycles, and assorted motor vehicles. People such as you describe are generally a waste of time and effort. It's sad that people let things rot into the ground. I'm a believer that such items should "go home"  to where they belong. 

Find a better truck that's identicle, and save yourself a bunch of time and money. Once you have a substitute he won't hold any power over you, and is in a much weaker negotiating position. If and when it does come available, you will have a better chance at making a deal. Maybe he would consider a swap and cash one way or the other. Best of luck.

Your op didn't give the logistics. $5K sounds like a pretty generous offer for a field truck.

Who owns the property where the truck is stored? If it sits there for a long time perhaps you could make a deal with the property owner to lien sale the truck for storage. 

If you want it, there's a way.

(unless the property belongs to the truck owner's family, of course!)

I'm sure that you have made it clear to the owner that your emotional attachment to the truck is strong also. I realize that you say that you can't travel to it's location, but you should make it clear to the owner that you would like to make a trip to see it again, even if it's not for sale. If he says "come on down" try to comply. If you really can't make the trip, then explain the situation and beg off, but try to keep the door open for a later trip. I think that you will want to see it before you buy it, so the earlier the better. Keep in contact with the owner and try to involve other members of his family. They may not be as attached to the truck as he is. Finally never, never complain about the condition of the truck! That's the quickest way to put off an emotional owner. Good luck!

14 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Your op didn't give the logistics. $5K sounds like a pretty generous offer for a field truck.

Who owns the property where the truck is stored? If it sits there for a long time perhaps you could make a deal with the property owner to lien sale the truck for storage. 

If you want it, there's a way.

(unless the property belongs to the truck owner's family, of course!)

It's on his family land which belonged to his father submit reply submit

You can get another truck. You can't get more time. Every day you spend pining away for "the original" is another day you won't have to work on whatever truck you get and another day you won't have to drive it. Judging by your story, I don't gather that you're a young man. Move on--the seller isn't the only one holding things up because he's emotionally invested in that truck. There is no shortage of similar trucks in similar condition for not a lot of money. Better yet, buying a different one would allow you to start with better base stock--spend more for a good truck and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Buy a different truck and get started with living the dream or keep it just a dream and don't ever own a truck like that again and simply comfort yourself with the memories. Those seem to be your only options at this point.

• Like 2

If you buy another one, they may realize you have moved on and just might let it go at that time.  Then you can possibly follow it and get it back.  Or not.  Either way right now you seem to be spinning wheels, and that is not constructive.

If you think they are just not going to sell at any price, forget about it for the time being.

If you think they are just testing you to see what you'll pay, that plan may have an effect.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

The 1950 Buick two door fastback that showed up in a Craigslist ad about 80 miles from me was very likely the first car I licensed in 1965. Lots of evidence pointed to it. I entertained the idea of buying it for sentimental reasons, but it is not in my field of interest today, a Roadmaster, maybe, but not a Special. The things I consider most are, number 1, space; 2, the money. That car was $3,000 and needed another 15-20 over time. I remember 5 of us riding around in it and stuff we did, but I moved on to a few variants of '58 Chevies, then a '57 V8 stick Chevy, and ended up exiting High School with a black '60 Invicta. The '50 was just part of the transition.

Last week I sold one of my cars and that surprised my Wife. Two more are in the cue. Right now I am making plans for a seriously modified, somewhat iconic, car on a Lincoln Mark VIII platform, quite far out of my traditional pieces, but I haven't had a car of my own build in a long time, 30 years, I think.

I change. Sometimes it is a bit of a shocker to those whom have known me a long time. After Buicks and Cadillacs for years, in 2003 I bought a new Chevy truck, then another, better one, in 2005. My Wife asked me why people we met in public acted so surprised that I had a truck. I just smiled and told her "They associate a truck with work." "Oh" She knowingly answered.

There was sincerity in my earlier quote from the Kodachrome song.

Bernie

You could, during conversation with him, ask what his father's opinion might have been regarding having the truck just sitting neglected in a field for that period of time - of course this could backfire on you, but might get him thinking if his father would approve or want it to go to a home where care could be provided

Or maybe read "Moby Dick". It has to do with an old New Bedford whaling captain obsessed with an albino whale which had ripped him up and got away with it. Or something like that. I really feel for you , Cripp. You undeservedly hold a tragic and lousy hand. Under the circumstances , it might be a good idea to open yourself up to the idea of a new love. Speaking of love : Welcome to the wonderful world of AACA forums ! Over here in this camp love abounds. Look at all the caring empathetic friends you have made here already. As you get to know your new friends here , you will find that some are also handicapped and crippled. Some in a nanosecond accident , other ailments include congenital conditions making an entire life very difficult to adjust to. And other bad luck of the draw. Please stay with us , a very fine group , and I expect the relationship here will have you feeling better. And feeling better will open you up to that new love. Hey ! That gives me an idea : I will show you a picture or two of a new love which changed my life. I had only suffered one heart attack when I bought it. A second one before I got to drive it. But I have it right at this point , and I don't worry too much about my health these days either. I am 73 , and got to live into technical old age. With apologies to everyone who already knows my new love , here for the enlightenment of our new brother , Cripp : With love from   - Cadillac Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/12/2017 at 6:31 PM, Cripp said:

Well the thing is I'm in DFW area, he lives in Illinois and the truck is in Kentucky and I cannot travel at all to do that. I have offered him money for it, just ask team if $5000 would take it off his hands and he did not like that.

Make sure to show him the cash in front of his wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mrpushbutton said:

Make sure to show him the cash in front of his wife.

THIS!

An old friend of  mine had a 1948 Chrysler Town & County convertible.

He collected all sorts of things but was a major steam and gas tractor man who had some really cool pre 1930's tractors of which I bought 3.

Anyway his wife was always ragging on him about buying all that old junk....... :blink:

When he sold that car he got his wife to the kitchen table and proceeded laying stacks of hundred dollar bills on the table.

When he was done........so was she....... :P