What am I missing here?

EmTee

First, let me say that I have ZERO pre-war automobile experience, Buick or otherwise.  But - I have slowly begun to pine for a 38, 40, or '41 Buick (OK, I'll consider a '39 if the deal is right).  I don't need it immediately, but owning a straight 8 is now on my 'bucket list'.  That said, the '40 Special in the ad below has popped-up.  The price seems quite reasonable assuming the car is as nice as it looks in the pictures (at least on the outside).  So, what are the possible issues that could explain what seems to be a low asking price?  Mice in the interior...?  Bad wiring?  37K miles seems really low if actual (and not 137K)  NADA would say it should bring ~ $17K.  I'm confused...  :huh:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1940-buick-custom-coupe/6251581529.html

IMO, the market for many old cars is soft.  A number of reasons is that a number of owners are getting a lot older and starting to sell off their collections, the younger generation is not interested in the old iron and/ or they do not have the financial means to buy & maintain an older vehicle.   I think that at some time the market will rebound some, but I do not know when it will be.

I do not think some of the valuation publications have caught up with the market and the economy.

That said, the market for pre 1910 bigger brass cars, classic cars of the late 20's-30's and other noteworthy cars will always hold their value and desirability.

Just IMHO.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the real world, NADA is way high on these late 30's-40's Buicks.  No way will my car be worth what it says.  With the limited photos and info in the ad, it's hard to say if it's worth $5000 or $15000.  Need more info on it.

Look what this great looking car sold for just last summer:

IMG_3211.PNG

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have looked at a '39 Special 4-door and a '38 Special convertible (very nice car) up close at local cruise-ins recently.  Neither of these was for sale, but I took advantage of the opportunity to confirm that I could see myself owning one some day.  If I can dream up some excuse to disappear  for a half day I might have to take a drive to see this one for myself...

I can really only speak for my 1941 Special, but these are nice. Relatively comfortable, enough power to drive reasonably quickly, and such smooth, quiet engines. My wife loves that it is so smooth. 

Ok, now I'm working in my brain that it is overdue to get mine out again. So many Buicks so little time. 

A couple friends here have 1938s as well. That remains a floor shift while the '41 is three on the tree. 

Just go have a look at the car.  It looks very solid from the photos, but as Don has pointed out, there are no photos of the interior (very important) or under the hood.  The price is NOT especially low, despite what NADA is telling you.  Also, it's pretty hard to tell the state of the exterior paint from photos, and that's probably your biggest ticket item if you're unhappy with it.  How well does it run?, which is also not evident from the ad.  "Excellent condition" is a relative term, believe me!

If it's in solid shape with a decent interior and runs well, that's a fair price.  Check it out and let us know what happens.

Neil

I realize that everybody always thinks that a coupe is worth more than a sedan but for those of us who like to tour with and othewise dirve these cars, a four door is typically more desirable. The extra space is better for touring.  With that said, if the interior and mechanical condition appears OK that is a good price on that car. Condition is everything regarding price. At that price, if you had to rebuild an engine, you would soon have more in it than it is worth. The interior would cost less than an engine, but still would be an expensive fix, if needed. 

• Like 1

To give you an idea I bought a '39 Century sedan last fall in excellent black paint, replaced interior in a nice correct looking fabric, side mounts and fender lamps for $10000 CAD which is about $7000.  I bought it from a local Kijiji ad so anyone could have picked it up.  I do not know why it was so reasonable, right time and place, I guess.  Now my wife and I have a car for pre war events.  Good luck, Gary

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments -- exactly what I was hoping for.  I do understand the dilemma regarding coupe vs sedan -- the cars are definitely smaller inside (narrower, anyway) than one would expect by looking at the car from the outside. I may have to go see this one in person simply to educate myself and add to my mental price/condition 'comparison list'.  I agree that all of those items not pictured in the ad can make all the difference on this one...

13 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

IMO, the market for many old cars is soft.  A number of reasons is that a number of owners are getting a lot older and starting to sell off their collections, the younger generation is not interested in the old iron and/ or they do not have the financial means to buy & maintain an older vehicle.   I think that at some time the market will rebound some, but I do not know when it will be.

I do not think some of the valuation publications have caught up with the market and the economy.

That said, the market for pre 1910 bigger brass cars, classic cars of the late 20's-30's and other noteworthy cars will always hold their value and desirability.

Just IMHO.

I think these are very accurate statements. 

Most younger people view old cars as a joke rather than a part of history, and have no interest because they just don't go fast enough.  That's most I've met or observed, there are always plenty of exceptions. 

There is so much to experience working on and driving these old Buicks, that a lot of young people are missing out.  I grew up on slow rides in my Grandfather's 24-45 and my Father's 54CC, and learned how to treat, and appreciate them. 

The market is so soft, even on cars of the twenties, I only wish I had more money, time, space, and ambition to go out and collect more. 

These cars can't be built, or restored, from a catalog, like cars of the muscle car Era can be for example.  Because of that, the cost of a Buick restoration will far exceed its sale value.  Anyone looking at prewar cars as a restore and flip venture should look elsewhere, in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to add that I believe that another reason the younger generation is not interested in the old cars is because there is a large segment of the car collecting hobby that puts out "do not touch" , "Do not breathe on my car", "don't come near my car", and the list of stay away signs goes on and on.

Those in the car hobby that have given that message to the younger generation have directly told them to stay away. 

"Do not touch" = lower interest in the cars/trucks = lower market for the cars/trucks = lower transaction prices.

I personally let anyone in my family drive anything we own after I have shown them how to drive the particular vehicle, and I have let hundreds of persons sit in the '15 truck and get their picture taken. I have also given hundreds of rides to different persons.  It is something that 99.9999% will never get to do again in their lifetime. 

I wish that I knew the number of times our truck is on Facebook and other social media.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I would like to add that I believe that another reason the younger generation is not interested in the old cars is because there is a large segment of the car collecting hobby that puts out "do not touch" , "Do not breathe on my car", "don't come near my car", and the list of stay away signs goes on and on.

Those in the car hobby that have given that message to the younger generation have directly told them to stay away.

That may be true, but on the other hand I was raised in precisely that way, and I learned to respect others vehicles.  It did not keep me away, it made me an observer who listened and learned...almost everything I know.

I have also witnessed people and their children climb right up on a running board and step on the leading painted edge of the front fender, while the parent says nothing.  Heel scratches still remain as proof.  Also kids running around car shows unsupervised, pounding on all the horn buttons.  Replacement bakelite was required. 

So there are plenty of respectful examples from opening up the car hobby, as there are disrespectful examples of doing so.

To this day children my age who have become adults still lean with an open palm on my freshly waxed fender, something I would never dream of doing to a vehicle other than my own.

I would check this car out, but it's strange that the seller doesn't know what it is.  Buick never built a "Custom Coupe".  Go in with you eyes wide open and see what is really there.  It looks nice, but what about the interior and engine compartment.  Reasonable price if it's all good.

I also agree with the above comments. The only way you can know is to see it yourself and ask questions.

As for the car show comments...

I too was raised to respect others property. If I wanted to touch I would ask first and respect the answer.  I have no problem if someone wants to investigate my cars and I will even let them touch and feel.  I also have no problem letting the people I know AND trust drive them. I will happily give rides to any who ask.  I only ask for some common respect.  I wonder how the parents of the unsupervised would feel if we trashed their stuff and thought it was "just so cute" :angry:.  I really do want people to get interested in the hobby and if a talk, feel or ride accomplishes that I think it is great.  We are all getting older and the younger crowd need a gentle push to keep our old iron on the road. Just my rant, your mileage may vary :) .

On 8/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, EmTee said:

The photos don't show much, and you don't know anything about the mechanical condition. It'd be worth a look, or  better yet, get an appraiser or one of our BCA expert members to go over it. 

First, let me say that I have ZERO pre-war automobile experience, Buick or otherwise.  But - I have slowly begun to pine for a 38, 40, or '41 Buick (OK, I'll consider a '39 if the deal is right).  I don't need it immediately, but owning a straight 8 is now on my 'bucket list'.  That said, the '40 Special in the ad below has popped-up.  The price seems quite reasonable assuming the car is as nice as it looks in the pictures (at least on the outside).  So, what are the possible issues that could explain what seems to be a low asking price?  Mice in the interior...?  Bad wiring?  37K miles seems really low if actual (and not 137K)  NADA would say it should bring ~ $17K.  I'm confused...  :huh:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1940-buick-custom-coupe/6251581529.html

I've had my 1949 Super sedan for 39 years--my first car.  However, owning a prewar car with sidemounts and suicide doors has been on my bucket list for some time.  I needed to act on it sooner rather than later.  I bought my 1939 Roadmaster three years ago sight unseen, but only after talking it over with a friend and Buick expert who had knowledge of the car and its history.

Take a look at the car.  Bring along a friend who understands old cars.  Take a lot of photos and ask a lot of questions. 

I have no regrets with my purchase of the Roadmaster.  I am having a lot of fun with the car!

The older the car/truck, the more interesting the driving experience gets.  There is a point that parts are not available at the local auto parts store and finding someone to be able to help get it running again can be a challenge.  That said, the brass & nickel folks are some of the most helpful car people that I have had the pleasure to know.  :)!

• Like 1

Thanks again for all of the insights.  I'm aware of the challenges with driving old cars on roads with modern drivers.  I've also been thinking hard about the pros & cons of the 2-door coupe vs. sedan from a usability perspective.  I looked back and think this is the same car originally listed back in April.  I think I'm going to let it simmer for a couple more weeks before calling the seller.  He may be more motivated to sell in September as winter approaches...

Might be a good plan.  Time will tell.  If I had a vote I would cast it for a sedan because of higher comfort and you can give rides to interested folks rather than sexy flowing body shape.  Good luck, Gary

• Thanks 1