WHAT FLUIDS USED ON 1940 BUICK SPECIAL

buick special

Can anyone let me know the proper type of oil and weight for a 1940 buick special

transmission oil and wt

differential oil and wt

steering box oil and wt

motor oil and wt

brake fluid type

also

spark plug mfg and model#

tire size in modern radial size

All the best

AJ

On your trans fluid, make sure you use either GL-4 or GL-1. Do not use GL-5, it will wear out the synchros. Also do not use GL-1 in the rear, it should be GL-4 or 5 (4 preferable).

On your steering box, if you use 90 wt or 140 wt you may have leakage down the pitman arm. If you do, use Penrite 1200w semi-fluid grease, you can get it at Restoration Supply http://www.restorationstuff.com/index.html

Cheers, Dave

My personal recommendation for the transmission and differential would be Master Pro GL4 SAE 140 gear oil available in a gallon jug from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/masterpro-chemicals-4341/chemicals---fluids-16461/grease---lube-16582/gear-oil---additives-16905/gear-oil---140w-20063/gear-oil/80040/4495693/2002/buick/lesabre?q=gear+oil

I just look a look and came here to post info

there are only 2 things that are canister shaped is on the passenger side of the motor

one is near the front of the motor at the bottom which I assume is a mechanical fuel pump

the other is on top of it and has a bolt on top to remove the top lid

no idea what that is

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

transmission    =  90/180

Rearend        -=  same

Steering box==  same

Engine        = 30w or 10 w-30

Brake fluid  = DOT 3

Spark plug = AC 46

Tires depend on what size wheels you have.   A 225/70R 15 would be about right.

Pictures?

Ben

I just checked my tire size they are 6.5 x 16

what modern radial tires would work ?

8 hours ago, jvelde said:

Perhaps we could see a photo of your engine - maybe there is no oil filter canister on this car. 

And the engine serial number near the distributor.

Is possible your engine has been replaced by a latter engine some time in the last 80 years.

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop%20Manual/

Thank you for the link to the manual its going to be a help ,

still waiting for the guy to find the one he has for me and drop it off

guy I got car from was 2nd owner and says its orig motor

motor number matches reg ,and looks right so have no reason to doubt him

19 minutes ago, buick special said:

I saw a WIX 51001 oil filter element that cross references to an AC P-112

has anyone used the wix and is it a decent filter?

WIX filters are excellent!  The NAPA GOLD filters are Wix by an almost identical part number.  So the NAPA GOLD crossover number or the Wix--whichever you can get more reasonably.  And pick up a suction gun to remove the dirty oil at the bottom of the filter housing/can.  Then wipe out the canister with **lint-free** cloths or towels.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:08 AM, buick special said:

I forgot to ask what oil filter should I get?

Is it available at a regular store?

I have a 1941 Buick and the filter can appears to be the same as yours. I get my filters at NAPA . The number is the NAPA Gold 1001. Their catalog part number is FIL 1001. They are presently going for $13.05 if ordered online for store delivery. Check the dimensions to be sure. They come with gaskets too. I usually order 2 or 3 at a time and stock up. Click on the blue link to see the item at NAPA.

Edited by Roadmaster71 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

transmission    =  90/180 GL-4

Rearend        -=  same

Steering box==  same

Engine        = 30w or 10 w-30

Brake fluid  = DOT 3

Hi Guys

I went to a few local parts places for gear oil and found

85/140

or

80/90

would either of these work in transmission and  steering box and rear end with out leaking or damaging

You have to look for the GL rating, it will be on the container somewhere. GL4 is what you want since GL5 will damage some metals over time, specifically the syncros. Most if not all gear oils sold in stores like Advance Auto and Pep Boys is GL5, which is fine for modern cars. NAPA will have GL4 (StaLube) or you can get it online. Also, if you find GL1 that will work fine in the transmission but do not use it in the rear, only use GL4 there.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S (see edit history)

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, MCHinson said:

My personal recommendation for the transmission and differential would be Master Pro GL4 SAE 140 gear oil available in a gallon jug from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/masterpro-chemicals-4341/chemicals---fluids-16461/grease---lube-16582/gear-oil---additives-16905/gear-oil---140w-20063/gear-oil/80040/4495693/2002/buick/lesabre?q=gear+oil

Thank you for the link to the Masterpro GL4 140 gear oil ,

That looks like good oil to use in my 40 special

I checked and sadly there are no O'Reilly Auto Parts in NY and they do not ship

Do you happen to know any sellers of this in NY?

here is a link to the company website product

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/api-gl-4-multi-purpose-gear-oil-sae-140-1-gal-SL24238.html

Description
GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil has low pour points and high temp properties to provide lubrication over a wide temperature range. This versatile lubricant contains anti-rust and anti-wear EP additives to provide the corrosion protection in drives and hypoid gears.

I didn't like where it says " This versatile lubricant contains anti-rust and anti-wear EP additives to provide the corrosion protection in drives and hypoid gears"

one guy posted a review on another website he posted "Perfect for older cars that require GL-4 but don't like GL-5 gear oil. Smells like sulphur. You know, as it should"

the above poster may be wrong about the sulpher  since no other reviewers mention it

Has anyone on the website used this in their cars??

if so please post your experiences with it as I do not want to buy the wrong thing

32 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

I use Sta-Lube and it is good.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for the reply and letting me know that it is ok for our older cars , I called up the mfg and spoke to the tech dept and they said all the additives would not harm any yellow metals and this is good our applications

All the best

AJ