My 1957 75R - Big Gray

lancemb

Did you heat the folded edge of a piece of sheetmetal?  How did you heat the metal?  Seems like you'd have to work fast once the metal was hot and ready to press...  I'm impressed with the result and think it was worth the effort!  ;)

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Did you heat the folded edge of a piece of sheetmetal?  How did you heat the metal?  Seems like you'd have to work fast once the metal was hot and ready to press...  I'm impressed with the result and think it was worth the effort!  ;)

I used a nicely cut edge.  Yes, I found that the trick was getting it nice and hot and working quickly, being careful not to let it sit for too long.  I heated it on my gas kitchen stove and used the granite countertop as a base.  My wife loved me using the kitchen as a workshop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

That’s just ingenious.  Way to go.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, lancemb said:

I used a nicely cut edge.  Yes, I found that the trick was getting it nice and hot and working quickly, being careful not to let it sit for too long.  I heated it on my gas kitchen stove and used the granite countertop as a base.  My wife loved me using the kitchen as a workshop.

• Thanks 1

Well, finally got the rear upper door panels done in between other tasks.  I prepared the vinyl at the same time as I did the fronts.

These were inherently easier than the fronts, and plus the panels only had surface rust on them so didn't require much prepping.  It was kind of time-consuming getting the vinyl glued down nicely around all the curves on the edges, but an overall pleasant task.

20220302_145130.jpg.7e5f54f717c19e01a91d313e85bc0e11.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been awhile since an update and some forward movement has been made. 

After finally getting upholstery guy I was going to use admit he wouldn't be able to do my car in time (since he bumped me back for a drop-in job or two a shop brought him), I had to find another place.  It's really aggravating and disappointing being screwed like that, when I've been in periodic communication for the past year about the timing.  But, now I know who never to go to again.  A shame, since he was very nearby.

While at the World of Wheels show I spoke with a shop who had several cars there and was less than an hour away.  They agreed they could do the car, so I stopped by the shop and got a tour, and dropped off the interior pieces not yet complete, with exception of front seat which is still in the car.  Hopefully within a couple weeks I'll drive the car over, and let them finish it up.

In the meantime, I got the trunk completed.  I had to fix a wire break to the trunk light that had not materialized when I first tested it, but got the light installed and adjusted, and it works great!  I just need to plop the jack in place and install the NOS accessory spare tire cover.  It's not the most handsome accessory but it's rare and original so I'm going to use it.

20220409_094701.jpg.0d06949196f026fc59e47756b57f7c99.jpg

20220409_094630.jpg.cd9d381ed6ceb847c2a7166f3e5735bd.jpg

20220409_094641.jpg.4b1283fceba9f0b02fe87098616bd2a4.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was finally the day the car was off to the upholstery shop.  Crossing my fingers that it comes out well.

A couple weeks ago I was taking the car for a short drive and as I pulled into the garage it died and wouldn't start.  Turns out the rebuilt fuel pump failed.  I swapped it out with an old NORS one I had and it ran fine.

Then today, about 12 miles into the 23 mile trip to the upholsterer it happened again.  It was running perfectly then just died, no warning.  I had it towed to the shop (who also does full high-caliber restorations) so they'll hopefully let me know soon if this fuel pump has now failed.  I sent the other one back to the rebuilder who confirmed that the arm came loose from the diaphram and it's due to arrive back tomorrow, so I'll have that one put back on if fuel pump is an issue again.

20220421_175628.jpg.9e1a97d93c0f5286588c7734051696c3.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, lancemb said:

Well, today was finally the day the car was off to the upholstery shop.  Crossing my fingers that it comes out well.

A couple weeks ago I was taking the car for a short drive and as I pulled into the garage it died and wouldn't start.  Turns out the rebuilt fuel pump failed.  I swapped it out with an old NORS one I had and it ran fine.

Then today, about 12 miles into the 23 mile trip to the upholsterer it happened again.  It was running perfectly then just died, no warning.  I had it towed to the shop (who also does full high-caliber restorations) so they'll hopefully let me know soon if this fuel pump has now failed.  I sent the other one back to the rebuilder who confirmed that the arm came loose from the diaphram and it's due to arrive back tomorrow, so I'll have that one put back on if fuel pump is an issue again.

Shakedown cruise before the cruise was scheduled! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got the car back from upholstery.  With only weeks until national meet, still have some bugs to work out and worried about time.  However the interior is pretty much done, but waiting on chrome bezels for interior lights to cime back.  I'd sent wrong ones to chromer (from 4 door) and had to pay hefty to get the correct ones done on a rush.

Here's a sneak peek at interior.

20220528_132456.jpg.8998d13a1bfa9f82941d5fbc803b95d4.jpg

20220528_112438.jpg.7a30e66260d1723b5ec80a09456a124e.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I did some odds and ends and took the car on a few test drives today.  It did pretty well over a total of about 25 miles, which is about how far it was supposed to take itself to the upholstery shop, but didn't make it.  I discussed the issues more in a separate thread, but the end result was I had 2 issues occurring which made the symptoms more confounding.  The first turned out to be a vent cable intermittently contacting the back of the ignition switch, creating a short.  The second turned out to be a plugged fuel sock in the gas tank, which was strangely inside the strainer.

One of the small items I addressed today include installing a brake pedal spring (per a campaign Buick had introduced).  Although my pedal is returning pretty well, it could be better.  I also clipped in the seatbelts I just got re-webbed with original style of buckle from the rare optional seat belts.

I stopped at a nearby golf course during my test driving to take some photos.

20220618_111908.jpg.9eab15b0d1fc6fb8e8b7e7faae169d29.jpg

20220618_111845.jpg.67c1d3380fdf39a9fe1d3e7ba0d79ddf.jpg

20220618_112823.jpg.dde213f222e0b4f05f5266c7fd45ff14.jpg

20220618_112356.jpg.b681bc997523f09da0cbb6255b5239a4.jpg

20220618_112404.jpg.7c6edc0ef09879fd1a952603a1b9c23d.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Looks Fabulous @lancemb! I love the Buick Floor mats.  I have two of those on the front floors of my 56, but all the nubs have deteriorated and broken off.   These look to be new!  I have followed the other thread and I hope you have the running issues fully sorted.  Good luck at the National!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Looks Fabulous @lancemb! I love the Buick Floor mats.  I have two of those on the front floors of my 56, but all the nubs have deteriorated and broken off.   These look to be new!  I have followed the other thread and I hope you have the running issues fully sorted.  Good luck at the National!

Thanks John!  Those are indeed new old floormats.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:32 PM, usnavystgc said:

Lance,

Your car looks fabulous.

Can you post a pic of your brake return spring and tell us where you got it?

Here is the spring (an extra one I'll put on Big Blue eventually).  I got it off Ebay some time ago.  It is part of a kit that includes a little double-hole metal plate with one hole to slip over the brake rod and the other to hold the spring.  The other end of the spring clips onto the underside of the front of the dash. Unfortunately the flat metal piece is missing from this kit, but it's easy to replicate.  Also, it looks exactly like the piece that the front of the rear parking brake cable attaches to; I'll bet it's identical in fact.

I can post information from the service bulletin when I get back from the show if you want to do something similar to your 56.

20220622_212754.jpg.edf1b696b24064bbdc78a7e0d7c45356.jpg

• Thanks 1

lancemb, was that the Recall kit and part number  that was listed in the product bulletins for 1957 ?

and if you could post a picture of bracket (other part in kit) if you have it and only when you have time.

Bob

16 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

lancemb, was that the Recall kit and part number  that was listed in the product bulletins for 1957 ?

and if you could post a picture of bracket (other part in kit) if you have it and only when you have time.

Bob

This image I found on Hometown Buick from the service bulletin that covered the introduction of this spring covers most questions I think.  If be willing to bet the clip that goes on the brake rod is same as the one that fits on Parking brake that holds that spring, but I haven't confirmed this. 

1957-buick-brake-pedal-return-spring-view.jpg.91ac7e21b54ec4457604e854cbdb4005.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the car made it to the BCA National meet just fine.  It did start to get a little warm from the stop and go driving, but didn't officially overheat.  I may later add the optional HD radiator which was standard in AC cars if I can find one.  The PS started making noise on the way home as well - it did this once before prior to the meet but had cleared up.  It sounds like either air or something foreign is blocking the pressure side into the gearbox, so I'm going to just rebuild it because it's practically the only part on the car that hasn't been replaced or rebuilt anyway.  All in all though, the car drives great.

It did pretty well at the show.  After being announced as receiving a Silver, it was soon confirmed that a clerical error resulted in the incorrect score having been reported and the car actually received a Gold Senior award.

20220625_172337.jpg.63e67639c9390d66c97caadd36485124.jpg

20220625_172402.jpg.fcfaf11bb8e6a46c49ac9c036086a19b.jpg

20220630_180321.jpg.8cafc0de072024841434ed3b6d85c094.jpg

• Like 12

Very good test, driving your car to the National's and NO die out concern, your confidence is now back driving your car, no more worries.

Car looks great, and your award is sharp looking also.

Bob

• Like 1