Saw this nice 1946-1949 1st series Plymouth club coupe today

keiser31

42 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

That is a lovely looking car.  Do you think it is original or restored?

By the aftermarket rubber around the wind wing window, I am pretty certain it is restored. I think the metal alongside the rubber seal should be painted black.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Keiser,

It would appear from your posts that you just bomb around all day lookin' for cool old stuff to snap photos of & post here.:lol:

Keep 'em coming.

I have toted a camera for years and I get lucky to be able to see the fairly rust free cars I run across.

I go for restored as well.  with the front bumper worn a bit from years of polishing and the gleaming paint with fresh, I don't think quite right upholstery (I don't think they had red guts in 46-49 on the coupe except maybe on the side panels, gray would have been most likely or tan) 

There is actually some reproduction available for them as well.  Even the NOS stuff isn't too crazy except the rocker moldings and conv't /woody wiper towers.  I think i paid $30 for an NOS horn ring.  The whole grille is stainless steel.  Someone is making that hood ornament insert.  The trick is finding a good base.   They do drive really well.   I drove mine every nice day.  I would have another,  but I kind of like to get a different type of car after I have had one.  I would rather have had several types of cars to experience than a barn full of all the same cars in a different color.   Though if you were talking about Duesenbergs I might make an exception;) as they were all pretty much different being coach built. 

Guest BillP
13 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Keiser,

It would appear from your posts that you just bomb around all day lookin' for cool old stuff to snap photos of & post here.:lol:

Keep 'em coming.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, we walked to his diner and it happened. An old but bright green and chrome COE shorty rolled up, stopped at the light, and turned down the street. As I was gawking, Keiser was snapping away. Even in a target rich environment, fate favors the prepared man.

1 hour ago, BillP said:

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, we walked to his diner and it happened. An old but bright green and chrome COE shorty rolled up, stopped at the light, and turned down the street. As I was gawking, Keiser was snapping away. Even in a target rich environment, fate favors the prepared man.

Yep....here is that vehicle....

Picture 25125.jpg

Picture 25126.jpg

• Like 1

That is a nice COE, but I would think that those tall stacks would be in the way all the time.

Maybe he tows a tall fifth wheel trailer or the likes.

The wrench for a bumper could be a hitch cover.

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Minor correction,  46-48.  The 49-50 don't have the built in running boards.  Looks like a really nice car.  Those plymouths really don't bring any money for some reason.

Minor correction of correction....the FIRST series 1949 looked like the 1948s....that's O.K....it is NOT a well known fact.

Picture 25321.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, c49er said:

Nice pipes on the COE ....till he forgets about them!:D

May be hauling a gooseneck horse trailer. Wants the exhaust well above the trailer. I've seen other trucks like that at shows. 

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Do you mean the trivia about the 1948-49 Plymouth?

No... that the tall pipes were needed for possibly hauling a tall trailer.

I have seen kids and their diesel PU's with an amazing array of goofy looking pipes.....

I guess I'm over the hill and out of touch with a lot of things!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 0:44 AM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I just saw a 48 Plymouth coupe for the first time at a local cruise. If he comes back I'll add a few pics to the thread

Here's the one I saw. He came back. It's also a local Diner cruise, Tuesday nights. The owner, a bricklayer restored it at home over a period of years. Beautiful job.

48 Plymouth 1.jpg

48 Plymouth 2.jpg

48 Plymouth 3.jpg

48 Plymouth 4.jpg

• Like 1