Quite the attention getter

Dosmo

Hopefully, this guy plans to replace the Nissan pickup bed with a bed that matches the Chevrolet cab.  There is a gap of several inches between the back of the cab and the front of the bed.  

Nonetheless, it did grab my attention.  

hybrid 1.jpg

hybrid 2 copy.jpg

1 hour ago, poci1957 said:

That bed matches up better than I would have expected, a very good look

It does, I was surprised when looking it over close. The front step on the bed fit the curve of the cab, and lined up with the body line, on the lower portion of the door. But again, tough look to pull off with an older cab.  

Am I the only one who noticed the Chev cab and Nissan box are on some kind of late model chassis? Notice how the wheels are too small, and stick out past the fenders both front and rear?You can see what looks like IFS and a coil spring in the first picture.

Looks like someone put together a truck out of whatever junk they had available.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

When looking at the two top pictures, I noticed that the street sign in the bottom picture has not been blacked out. And now that I know where that picture was taken, I am going to go to that intersection.:huh:

Dang - I knew I'd forget something.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

I just did some work on this truck. It has a newer bed on it. I think this bed flows pretty good with the older cab. Some of the blending of old and new, can look good. It does get harder when the truck cab is from the 30's-50's 

chev truck bumper 002.JPG

chev truck bumper 001.JPG

I'm not a fan of new boxes on old trucks either but I really like this. I would be happy to drive that sucker.

• Like 2

Maybe the guy simply did whatever he could with very limited resources. I say good for him. If the truck was spotted in Havana everyone here would be commenting on his ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Personally I find his truck more interesting and commendable than the guy that restored his gazillion dollar Belchfire Eight using nothing but his check book.................................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Am I the only one who noticed the Chev cab and Nissan box are on some kind of late model chassis? Notice how the wheels are too small, and stick out past the fenders both front and rear?You can see what looks like IFS and a coil spring in the first picture.

Looks like someone put together a truck out of whatever junk they had available.

I noticed that.

That frame and axle are from a late model truck

17 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Maybe the guy simply did whatever he could with very limited resources. I say good for him. If the truck was spotted in Havana everyone here would be commenting on his ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Personally I find his truck more interesting and commendable than the guy that restored his gazillion dollar Belchfire Eight using nothing but his check book.................................Bob

You make a good point.  It may well be that this person has very limited resources.  And, while I think the late 60s red Chevrolet pickup with the late model bed does, indeed, look very good, I do find the truck in the OP the more interesting of the two.

That said, the owner/builder/driver of the truck in the OP has to know that it is an attention getter.  And, vehicles that attract attention will always attract the attention of those want to critique them.  I guess I was making my own critique of it when I snapped the photos.

People will be people.  In an ideal world, any critiques of someone else's work would be of a complimentary nature.  Or, kept to oneself, if otherwise.  

I do think the builder deserves kudos for building a pretty unusual vehicle.  It is way more than I could do.

• Like 1

Growing up in Idaho, I have seen my share of cars/trucks pieced together. A lot of sedans around here were cut in half, to make a flat bed out of them for hauling hay bails in the fields. I know a few well to do people around here, that have a junker that takes the abuse.

• Like 1