1950 Ford 2 Door Paint Question

victorialynn2

Yesterday I put several layers of soapy water on this to clean her up. I did not rub so as to not scratch. After several hours, when I was satisfied she no longer had dirt on her, I gave her a good cleaning with a clean sponge. There was no debris in the water and I used a lot of rinse, cleaning her in sections. She came out really well, but there is a haze, she's been in storage untouched, in her paint and some water spots despite my diligence to try to avoid them. She's had a recent (2011ish?) paint job.

She needs a cut and buff but I can't find anyone to do it. Do you have any recommendations for a safe product I can try by hand to gloss her up to her full glory without damaging the paint?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a great body style. Looks particularly good in black, but black is always tough to maintain. I'd start first with a clay bar to see if you can lift off the water spots and contaminants in the paint. Easy to use, impossible to hurt the paint with it, and it should brighten things up. If the cloudiness is in the paint, however, it will probably take something a little more aggressive like a cleaner wax to cut into it a bit. Still something you can do yourself without harming anything, especially if you do it by hand (most pros would use an orbital buffer but that can be hard to control if you're not used to it). Beyond that, however, I think you're right that a professional should take a pass with a more aggressive compound to bring up the shine. I think that would be a worthwhile investment in the car to really make it sparkle. Most buyers don't have much vision to see past what's right there. Give them something to envy, especially when it's not terribly expensive.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I agree with Matt's advice above.  I would first clean VERY thoroughly so there is no dirt left in the surface, then use a Meguiars clay bar kit (www.meguiars.com) and then follow with their deep crystal cleaner which is applied by hand.  If those two steps give you a good enough surface then you can follow with their deep crystal polish and wax, all available from most parts stores.  The only thing is they are formulated for modern finishes, the old paint may need a little more care after all these years.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's a great body style. Looks particularly good in black, but black is always tough to maintain. I'd start first with a clay bar to see if you can lift off the water spots and contaminants in the paint. Easy to use, impossible to hurt the paint with it, and it should brighten things up. If the cloudiness is in the paint, however, it will probably take something a little more aggressive like a cleaner wax to cut into it a bit. Still something you can do yourself without harming anything, especially if you do it by hand (most pros would use an orbital buffer but that can be hard to control if you're not used to it). Beyond that, however, I think you're right that a professional should take a pass with a more aggressive compound to bring up the shine. I think that would be a worthwhile investment in the car to really make it sparkle. Most buyers don't have much vision to see past what's right there. Give them something to envy, especially when it's not terribly expensive.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise Matt. It's more a problem of finding someone who can do it out in nowhere land. What could I expect to pay someone to do that? I really appreciate all the info!

9 minutes ago, poci1957 said:

I agree with Matt's advice above.  I would first clean VERY thoroughly so there is no dirt left in the surface, then use a Meguiars clay bar kit (www.meguiars.com) and then follow with their deep crystal cleaner which is applied by hand.  If those two steps give you a good enough surface then you can follow with their deep crystal polish and wax, all available from most parts stores.  The only thing is they are formulated for modern finishes, the old paint may need a little more care after all these years.   

Thank you. I think it's a newer paint job. I will try and let you know how it works.

7 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thank you. I think it's a newer paint job.

If so this system should work, it has worked well for me.  The upside is the products are good and readily available and your cost will probably end up well under $50 with enough to use for several cars.  The downside is it is a lot of work going over the vehicle for each new step, but if the surface is recent and was not deeply scratched you should be able to get good results yourself. They even have You Tube videos on how-to use the deep crystal system, good luck, Todd C 

• Like 1

This car put a smile on my face, I fondly remember a car just like it and the man who drove it. You won't believe how many shinny square 5 gallon tins of "vegetable oil" you can put in the trunk.

If a 2011-ish paint job isn't ready for a gentle hand waxing by now, it never will be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Digger914 said:

This car put a smile on my face, I fondly remember a car just like it and the man who drove it. You won't believe how many shinny square 5 gallon tins of "vegetable oil" you can put in the trunk.

If a 2011-ish paint job isn't ready for a gentle hand waxing by now, it never will be.

Vegetable oil???

Get some good wax like Turtle Wax, Mothers, Rain Dance or your favorite brand. Some old T shirts and microfiber cloths and start polishing. You won't hurt it polishing by hand and the finish will come up nice and shiny. If you are not satisfied go over it a second, third, or fourth time.

I did this once on a red Renault that was so faded the paint looked like primer. I polished it 9 times and it came up a bit more each time. After 9 coats of wax it was the shiniest car you ever saw.

I am not joking or jesting. Do this and it will look great, and no chance of ruining the finish. An expert detailer might hit it with polishing compound on a buffer first, but unless you know what you are doing there is too much chance of burning thru the paint especially on edges.

21 hours ago, Digger914 said:

I was old enough to read and that's what was printed on the cans.

21 hours ago, Digger914 said:

That vegetable oil would likely have been up to 180 Proof.

Recall the movie "THUNDER ROAD", with Robert Mitchum and Keely Smith ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Get some good wax like Turtle Wax, Mothers, Rain Dance or your favorite brand. Some old T shirts and microfiber cloths and start polishing. You won't hurt it polishing by hand and the finish will come up nice and shiny. If you are not satisfied go over it a second, third, or fourth time.

I tried that the other day and wasn't seeing any improvement. I bought the clay bar today. I had to get Mother's Brand as that is all Napa had. I will let you all know how that goes!

Not sure this of any help but...

I have had my Buick since High School, stored it in various garages / barns on and off. Sometimes storage was dirty/dusty but dry and after washing it carefully like you did, spent uncountable hours hand polishing it with turtle wax paste.

It still has a shine today (please dismiss the nicks - :o)

1958 Buick Special - brakes - Nov 30, 2016 - pic1_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

I know from your posts that time is the issue but doing this by hand will not scratch or wear too much paint off.

This was painted before I bought it in 1972 so might be old school paint here.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, Marty Roth said:

With 60 years of hindsight that is kind of my thought, but my first though when I saw the car was the guy up the road with the big fluffy dog.

5 minutes ago, AJFord54 said:

That's a '50 Club Coupe.  Very much desired.  However, I could be wrong - does it have a back seat?  If not, it's a Business Coupe and maybe even more appreciated.  Nice car.

The seat is out so I'm not sure but I think it should have 2. I have two un-redone seats that I think go in it. 

Thanks for the info AJ. I will not be completing the restoration. My father became ill during the process (Fell and hit his head, had an extended hospital stay and developed Alzheimers.) He was not able to finish it. I will be selling it as a project. I will offer the sun visor to the buyer for an additional fee and sell it separate if they are not interested. I expect to market in in the range of $9900. I will take photos and have my appraiser give me a final evaluation. He has been right on the money with every car I have sold on eBay so far. Not sure if I will sell private or EBay yet. 

These guys are right that the sunvisor has value but I would advise do exactly as you said above--do not install it, keep it until you get the buyer for the car and offer it on the side or as an offer to sweeten the deal if necessary.  Some people like those very much, others (like me) think they are a giant sore thumb, although admittedly a 1949-51 Ford wears them better than most.  Keep it with the car, do not bother installing, Todd C

• Like 1

I was told the sun visor is an original I think he said aluminum and worth more than the reproductions on Ebay. It even has chrome on it. I also have original side wheel covers. Both in excellent shape. I'm told thier worth about $1000 and hard to find? Will be cleaning them up soon. 

Thanks for the info Todd. 

Hi , Vic' (forgive my familiarity - your great presence and dedicated intellect sure makes you seem like family around here). Those parts are called "fender skirts". Please do not sell these or the visor yet. You are doing extremely well on your valuations so far. Hold the items with the car as a potential bargaining point. As the witty Bernie Daily (60 FlatTop)  has advised us , if someone starts to grind you some on the price , you can say " O.K. , fine , I will keep the visor , and/or 'skirts in that case". And who knows , maybe the purchaser is good with that. You are learning fast , and doing a wonderful service for your dad. The comfort you are providing for him will be a comfort to you , as I am sure you perceive. I am an old man in ill health , and wish I had a daughter. With your dedication. You will be the better for this great endeavor. All the best to you and your family.  Carl

• Like 1

Thank you for your encouragement and advice Carl. This has been a rough couple of years. This car stuff is just one aspect. I spent over a year fighting (you wouldn't believe how they tried to harass and intimidate me into submission, but I finally succeeded), with the VA to get proper care for my father and also took care of him as long as I could. Your comments mean a lot because sadly my father has no idea what is going on with the cars. He doesn't remember them. He would be a big help if he could, but then again, I'm sure he would have a better way to do most of this and I could never live up to his abilities, so maybe it's a blessing. 

I am so very grateful for all the support and advice I have received here. It means a lot to me to have the support of my father's peers since he is unable to guide or encourage me. He had faith in me though, and has had me as his executor since I've been an adult and also gave me POA as soon as I asked for it. He was married at the time and wouldn't even give it to her. I don't want to let him down. 

• Like 1

Oh , and as long as I am here , if you are from the Portland area , Bob Earls ("Corvairdude") , could be of some help to you. Obviously with the Corvairs if you need it. He also does appraisal in the region , but of course logistics will determine the need or not of this alternative. Let me know if you would like his contact info. Again , in the coming years you will be left very content and grateful that you had the opportunity, and did your best by your family. Happy Holidays , 'Vic !  - Carl

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 3:50 PM, Marty Roth said:

I looked up that movie and was thrilled that it's a car just like this one. A friend who comes down from Oregon to help me told me, when he first saw it, that it looked like a boot leg car. Since prohibition was in the 20's I dismissed it, but maybe on some level he had seen this movie and made the connection. ;) Thanks for posting this. I got a kick out of it and intend to watch the entire movie at some point.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Oh , and as long as I am here , if you are from the Portland area , Bob Earls ("Corvairdude") , could be of some help to you. Obviously with the Corvairs if you need it. He also does appraisal in the region , but of course logistics will determine the need or not of this alternative. Let me know if you would like his contact info. Again , in the coming years you will be left very content and grateful that you had the opportunity, and did your best by your family. Happy Holidays , 'Vic !  - Carl

Thanks Carl. I worked in Portland and actually live close to Corvair Underground as well. He saw my fathers 61 Rampside and said it was in the top 1% of any he had seen. I sold that one on eBay and got a lot more than anyone expected. My appraiser was right on the money with his estimate. He is from my home town, well respected in the hobby, and has about 50 cars himself. He has been a true blessing to me. Helped me sell all the cars so far and although I have paid him a little here and there, he helps a lot without charging and texts me almost daily when I'm in TX or in OR and actively working on the cars. The only time I'm not working on these cars is when my father's health issues preclude it and take my attention away. I will keep Bob in mind though. Might be a good person to contact if I take the '63 Turbo home. I'm still kind of leaning towards keeping that one if possible. I figure I can fit that one and the '57 Retractable in my garage if I crawl out the windows. Haha

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...