1925-45 MASTER has arrived

dibarlaw

The 1925-45 touring that Dwight Romberger and I worked on and posted on the forum 4 years ago has come to live at my garage. One has to be careful when he makes an offer . Someone my take them up on it. Even 4 years later. We had a bit of a trial getting it running again this morning. But, we did and I was able to drive it under its own power. This should keep me busy over the winter.

DSCF5632.JPG

DSCF5633.JPG

• Like 8

From Seventy Years of Buick by George H. Dammann.

"The Master Six Series was divided into two sub-series, of 120 inch and 128 inch wheelbase cars.  Most popular  of the 125 inch wheelbase models was the 5-passenger Touring, Model 25-45, which had a production run of 5,203 for domestic sales and 701 for export.  The car cost $,395 and weighed 3,465 pounds."  Wind wings and bumpers were accessory items.

Larry

That looks like one nice ride ! I'm interested in the name as well.

Not happy is an understatement. That is one positively  malevolent expression from Christine, I mean Belulah.

I hope you are not parking them in the same building or things might just start 'happening'.

Brad

Larry and Joan.Congratulations!

Seems to be a good buy for that money,but I`m still waiting for upholstery and engine pictures.Looks like they have used galvanized sheet metal on the running board splas pan,if so when I taked to the sheet metal worker he told me I had to wait  7 years before I could paint on it.?

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

After some more cleaning and replacing some mashed side curtain snap fasteners at the tops of the doors. I carefully pried the Gypsy sides snaps apart with a thin screwdriver. Polished inside and outside snaps with steel wool and paste wax. Now they snap right on and off. I vacuumed the inside and outside of the top with the attachment brush. I have not attempted to wash it. It looks as if most of the fabric size and dye is going. The owner's (92 years young) wife said that they drove it to my town of Chambersburg in the 1970s to have the top done. I believe they said that someone in Gettysburg upholstered it. I took some "in progress" photos.DSCF5657.JPGDSCF5658.JPG

DSCF5659.JPGDSCF5663.JPGDSCF5665.JPG

I already bought the Spark plug cover wing nuts from BOB'S while at Hershey.  I need one more valve cover one to match the ones from BOB's. Of the 3 he threw in one for 5th 5/16-24 thread. The distributer they said that their father adapted an International unit. Looks the same Delco unit as early Chevy points. And it works fine, and on an original style coil no less!

DSCF5660.JPGDSCF5668.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Larry.

Thanks for those pictures.The upholstery looks very nice,original? ,a really good buy.I see the tube is gone from the carb. to the outlet,just be sure the "hole"between the exhaust and the heat riser are closed too.Good luck to you with the "new car".

Leif in Sweden.

Chuck:

The only problem with garage expansion is that I can not have lot expansion. Our in town lot is bordered on 2 sides by the Chambersburg Hospital. To get approval for new construction under the new set back distance of 12' requires an agreement of all surrounding property owners. Our garage is 2' from the line. We thought of a double deep addition. In the last 12 years the hospital has bought over 35 properties and had them leveled for parking (they just tore 3 more houses down with the loss of 5 garage spots 2 weeks ago) plus they own just about all the properties on my street except for 7 properties. The hospital would not want to sign off on any construction. They are just biding their time until I am "the last man standing". When they started the parking lot campaign they would offer very good prices for the real estate. Now they are offering "square footage prices", if they are interested. With every home that gets leveled in our neighborhood my home is less attractive for a sale.

Thanks Gary. And thanks for the ride in the 1913-31. I did a write up for our local chapter's newsletter about the old car festival and included the account of our ride. I would have still liked to have an earlier brass Buick.  But, this showed up locally for about 1/6th the asking price of the other Brass Buicks I had looked at, all of which needed a lot of sorting out before I could do any determining of what may needed to be done. Your car was an exceptional auto and it was a pleasure to experience it.

DSCF5431.JPG

This 1925 had the fuel system redone and I could hear it run!!! And drive it !!! The other 1913s I had looked at the owners did not have much insight as to what may be needed to get them back to a roadworthy car. The 1913-31 near me in PA. has gone thru 2 owners since I offered on it last April. DSCF4707.JPGThe last owner sold it at Hershey for $25,000.It is now in England.

This is what I have been working on in the evening. Just to see what might be salvageable from some of the parts that came with the car.

The first photo is of the Sport model cluster (which cleaned up pretty nicely) but missing the Buick clock, compared with a shabby regular one on the left. Every thing was filled with dirt, bugs, grease and such. The next photo is of the 4 switches several with key switch and several without. Other than a bezel, glass and face not much to work with.  In the cigar box are the innards of some of the switches. There is a steel retaining ring around these units and each one was torn as the pot metal case swelled. The "Best" unit he put in the car but it is also unusable. So I need a new case from Bob's and try to make something from the best of these parts. The last 2 photos are of the 3 distributer caps and pot metal distributers. The one on the left may still be useable, although it is now oval shaped. The only things salvageable from the one on the right are the points and gear.

DSCF5674.JPGDSCF5676.JPG

DSCF5677.JPGDSCF5678.JPG

DSCF5675.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)

As to the distributors, when we bought my '24 Buick, 6 cyl., it had a swollen pot metal distributor housing that would barely hold the cap on straight. My dad found a 4 cyl. Buick distributor with a cast iron housing. Don't know what year it came out of, but it looked identical on the outside and all the 6 cyl. insides fit right in with no modifications needed. So, just F.Y.I. in case anyone has pot metal troubles and is looking for a repair option. Don't pass over a 4 cyl. example just because your car is a "6".

• Like 1