Spare parts to take on a road trip

49_buick_super

We are about to take our Buick on a long road trip and I've been giving a lot of thought as to what spare parts to take along.  I've got one of everything.  And by that I mean starter, generator, water pump, fuel pump, voltage regulator, etc...  I've literally got one of everything that might fail.  I'd like to get opinions about what you would take on a long road trip of say, three or four weeks and distance around five thousand miles.  There are days when I'm inclined to take most of it and other days when I think more about the weight and space issues.  A starter and generator are around 45 pounds without anything else added.  Everything is working well.  I've got six thousand miles on the car since the engine and transmission were completely rebuilt.  It runs well.

What are the opinions out there?  What would you do?

Here's a photo of the spare parts assembled.  The carburetor and distributor are definitely out.  But I am still open on most of the rest.

Dan

spare-parts-1.jpg

Edited by 49_buick_super
insert photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You probably won't need any of them, especially if you have them with you. Wouldn't you be upset if you did not bring some of it and ended up needing the part(s) that you decided to leave at home? I would box them all up and take them with you.

• Like 1

I agree with Matt. 

I've been accused of carrying half of my garage when we tour. Since my tour cars are typically well-maintained, interruptions seem to be few and far between, but not unheard of.

On a tour with our '54 caddy, following several other week-long tours, a rear wheel bearing became a concern. It was available locally in a matter of an hour or less. This past month, while driving the fourth of five week long tours in an eight week period, I noticed a slight noise which could certainly have been ignored for several more thousands of miles, and maybe more - but deciding to possibly err on the side of safety, I had both rear axle bearings pressed. A trusted friend just a couple of hours away from my original location contacted a garage he trusts, and they sourced USA-made bearings, did a beautiful job at a reasonable price, and I was back on the road, losing only one day in the process - then on to the next two one-week tours - and the car is ready for the Glidden Tour in New Hampshire, after which we expect to drive it to visit family in Nova Scotia for an additional week.

Carry all the stuff you can, and then a little more! Don't forget any special tools and test equipment, as well. You won't be sorry - even if you don't have to use it, you might help some other poor soul who did not prepare as well. Remember, our steeds are typically older than we are, and anything can happen on the road.

1941  Caddy in Texas-Sentimental Tour.jpg

• Like 3

I'd take sets of generator and starter BRUSHES and leave the heavy units behind.  Don't forget the proverbial baling wire, duct tape, and zip ties.  I like to carry an Optima battery as a backup and a small 3-6 amp battery charger. Aerosol cans of carb cleaner and PB Blaster penetrant. Two extra inner tubes!

Points, condenser, rotor and cap.  For my cars with dual points, I carry a distributor HEAD with new synchronized points--can be changed out in 5 minutes, far less time than to try to sync points on the car. 

• Like 2

There's a good list here  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/280271-allentown-road-trip-checklist/ 

Shop around some antique or thrift stores for a couple vintage 40-50's suitcases and fill them, one with tools, one with parts. One thing I don't see on the table is the latest BCA Roster, I never leave home without one. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Grimy said:

...I like to carry an Optima battery as a backup and a small 3-6 amp battery charger...

Yes - forgot to mention.  I've got an Optima ready to go as a spare along with jumper cables and a charger.  6-volt jump starts are hard to find if you need them.  Thanks for your ideas.

Dan

Seeing all those parts reminded me of this trip: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cc-vintage-the-adventure-south-to-the-tip-of-south-america-in-a-1941-plymouth/

The book was available from my local library and is a pretty good read.

I'm the guy who makes sure I have a dime in my pocket in case I need a screwdriver.

Bernie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buick5563 said:

Make sure you have an inline electric fuel pump installed before you leave to combat vapor lock.

Yes, sir.  Thanks.  I already have one installed on the car and I'm able to drive here in Phoenix in the heat without vapor lock issues.  And I have a spare to take that's not shown on the table.  I got it after I took that photo.

Dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Seeing all those parts reminded me of this trip: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cc-vintage-the-adventure-south-to-the-tip-of-south-america-in-a-1941-plymouth/

The book was available from my local library and is a pretty good read.

I'm the guy who makes sure I have a dime in my pocket in case I need a screwdriver.

Bernie

Thanks, Bernie.  I took a look at that link.  Now that was a road trip!  I've always been fascinated with those types of stories.  Here's another link to a road trip story that's an interesting read and has some great photos:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196219

(It's a Ford, but put that out of your mind while you read the story and look at the photos. ;)

Dan

18 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

and the car is ready for the Glidden Tour in New Hampshire, after which we expect to drive it to visit family in Nova Scotia for an additional week.

Nova Scotia is quite lovely. The map is a bit amusing...just a road around the edge is pretty much it. If you fly over (or look at a satellite view) it makes sense. It isn't necessarily easy to get from one place to another. Suzanne's brother is outside Halifax and I've got some Acadian roots. 

I li never seem to have the simple things I would need for a repair. 

Crimping tool, splices, and wire ends can take care of some electrical issues. A good knife to deal with hoses. CAA / AAA card. 

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

...I'm the guy who makes sure I have a dime in my pocket in case I need a screwdriver....

Bernie

A dime works good on slotted screws. For the same price, you might also want to carry two nickels in your pocket for the Phillips head screws.  :rolleyes:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 2

I wish I had the list that my dad told me about when he was outfitting a car back in 55 or 56 to be driven to Alaska before the big highway was built.  If I remember correctly it was a Buick publication.  The one thing that I specifically remember him mentioning was a spare rear axle.  Go figure.  Makes you wonder what the road was like back then.

Ed

• Like 1

GM Coolant Seal Tabs could save your trip if you spring a radiator or heater core leak.  These are the same ones that GM used to seal the infamous Cadillac HT4100 V8s.  The 5.3L in my 2004 Silverado fell victim to the dreaded head crack issue, so with nothing to lose, I added a few to the radiator and it's been over 12 K miles without a drop of coolant lost.  All vegetable -- and they work!

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634621-Cooling-System-Tablet/dp/B000QIH3C4

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

GM Coolant Seal Tabs could save your trip if you spring a radiator or heater core leak.  These are the same ones that GM used to seal the infamous Cadillac HT4100 V8s.  The 5.3L in my 2004 Silverado fell victim to the dreaded head crack issue, so with nothing to lose, I added a few to the radiator and it's been over 12 K miles without a drop of coolant lost.  All vegetable -- and they work!

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634621-Cooling-System-Tablet/dp/B000QIH3C4

Great product, but indicated for small leaks/seeps (that you could live with until your destination).  Doubtful that is would have any effect on large disabling leaks.

Carry some old spark plugs and clamps to plug heater hoses if the heater core or ranco valve start leaking.

• Like 1

I had to scroll to the top to see if this was really the Buick section. I don't take nuthin, I was kidding about the dime.

My '60 failed to proceed about 6 years ago, right after a tune up. The wire came out on the new condenser. Flatbeded home. And put the old condenser back in. I wouldn't have changed it on the road.

Ever notice some guys have 50 year old car and stacks of new parts on the shelf while they drive with original parts still on the car? Tip: If you have a new part on a shelf and you are driving around on the 50 year old part can you explain the rationale? Put the new parts on the car.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We took our 47 RM everywhere, NO PARTS, NO PARTS.  The only difference from THEN to NOW is THEN parts were available EVERYWHERE. 

We had only flat tires, and then not often.

If your car is in good condition, and this isn't the first long trip, then I personally would take very few parts.  Dad was good at servicing our RM, so that made a difference, he had CONFIDENCE.  With five of us kids, we needed all the storage space we could get.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Ever notice some guys have 50 year old car and stacks of new parts on the shelf while they drive with original parts still on the car? Tip: If you have a new part on a shelf and you are driving around on the 50 year old part can you explain the rationale?

I resemble that.  But the way I figure it is:  if the part lasted this long and it's still operating, then that's the last part you need to change.

FWIW:  I'd call any branch of the major parts stores where your going, and see if you can source a rebuilt starter or generator through them. If so, I'd leave those heavy parts with a friend who agrees to ship them ( at your cost) to you, if you call for them.