straight 8 to v8 swap

Guest 51 nyk

Guest 51 nyk

I have a 51 club coupe that im wanting to put a 455 in from a 75 electra. has anyone done a s8 to 455 swap? Are there conversion mounts pre fab? or am i gonna have to do all t he math and fab my own mounts?

Done many times. Will not be a kit available. (A Buick is not a Chevy or Ford)

The biggest problem will be the torque tube, rear diff and rear suspension. All will need to be changed. This can be expensive & difficult, unless you have some engineering skills

Guest 51 nyk

I have the turbo 400 with the 455 and a drive shaft along with a ford 9" rear end. Rear end came out of a 73 cutlass and is triangulated 4 link. Is the geometry hard to get mounts right?

You are "gonna have to do all the math and fab my own mounts", PLUS get another transmission to fit and mount and rear end that will take the 455 engine.  Then you'll need stronger front suspension, steering, radiator, brakes, all new wiring and frame modifications too.  Don't forget the 455 will get about 7 MPG and you'll need another fuel tank, lines and fire suppression equipment.

On the other hand you could just drop it in and buy lots of life insurance with the money you save.

Copy of Ronpic.jpg

• Like 1

51 nyk,

Normally I try to welcome new posters to the forum. In your case, without trying to be rude, you really are more likely to find better advice for this project on another site. The AACA Discussion Forum is sponsored by AACA to discuss Preservation and Restoration of Antique Cars. While some of the members may very well be able to give you some advice, this is not the type of project that our members focus on here. If you change your mind and decide to preserve or restore the car, you will find plenty of people here that would be happy to help you. 

• Like 1

Never did a Buick of this model but what I have found in general is that the cars with inline engines don't account for the width of a V engine.

You will most likely run into steering box and column issues. Also the crossmembers and tie rods will need to clear the oil pan. This is why we see many Mustang II front conversions. (there are many front end systems on the market, MII just seems to be the most economical).

Not to difficult to dial in a triangulated four bar rear but I wouldn't want to do it with the body on.

25 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just curious; why do you want to do it and how much have you budgeted for the job?

No matter what the budget is, the final cost & time will be 2 to 3 times the budget

On 8/9/2016 at 5:55 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Then you'll need stronger front suspension, steering, radiator, brakes, all new wiring and frame modifications too. 

Why?  Look, I realize that the mission of AACA is to preserve original cars, and the post that suggested the OP ask at H.A.M.B. was appropriate (though why one didn't suggest the Buick Performance forum below is a mystery).  However, the above statement is just uninformed BS.  The OP has a 1951 Buick.  The frame and suspension are pretty much the same on the 1953 cars that DID come from the factory with V8s (as did the nearly identical 51 Oldsmobiles), so width and steering will be fine.  The 455/TH400 combo likely weighs considerably LESS than the straight eight and it's trans, so suspension and springs will be fine, if not too stiff. The torque tube conversion has been done to death.  No, it isn't a bolt-in, but it also isn't the moon shot that some make it out to be. 

Considering that the OP hasn't been back to this site after being smacked around, there's yet another potential AACA member lost.

• Like 3

Guest 51 nyk

im doing it because i got a great deal on the car which had no motor or trans, i also got the 455 for a steal specially since its a "blue block". havent set a budget building it one piece at a time. i understand this is a restoration/preservation forum, i was just fishing for tips. i figured its probably been done before. im building a tail dragger out of it. not gonna chop it as some may think, i love the body the way it is

There are a lot of options. Depends on what you want to do with stance and tire size and so on. Rear leafs, four bar, air ride, trailing arms, or even the stock set up just modified. I have set up a 455 in a 53 Buick two door hard top before. It is all custom work, Not a big deal to do it. Just comes down to your budget and what work you can do yourself. Talking to people on a local level would be your best bet. That way people can see what you have going on and what you are trying to do. Car shows and clubs in your area should turn up some guys with the knowledge you are looking for. I always stress resale value to people, keep your custom mods clean, and in good taste. Just because it sounded like a good idea drinking beer, does not mean you should have done it. ( I know, I have done it)      http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1951-buick-suspension-help-advice-needed.526259/

I have always seen the worst project cars promoted as a good candidate for a street rod or custom, basically saying "It's too far gone to restore or no one else would want it." If I was going to build a modified car I would start with and really good one. Some people can transform junk but it is an uphill battle to get to zero.

I agree with maintaining the resale value, even on a stock car during restoration. Shiny sells. Always balance your investment between mechanical and pretty in case you have to bail out.

Be careful about who you talk with. There is an automotive counter culture group out there that just chooses to be offensive. They condemn expensive high quality cars and promote some pretty crappy stuff in the name of creativity. They are quite easy to spot. You might see one at a car show holding a pocket tape measure up to a restored car windshield and telling his friends "Take about 3 or 4 inches out of here, har, har" and they had a steel tractor seat welded to the object d'art they drove in. Don't listen to them too much. You might get misled. That group seems to be dying out, not much rat rod popularity these days. Maybe their backs are giving out from the homemade seats. (Last one I saw had a gray pony tail, baggy shorts, and support hose). Yeah, and I was walking around looking like Archie Bunker.

Seriously, post some pictures of the car. You are looking at $4,000 to $10,000 just to drive up to the corner for a gallon of milk, even with the cheap entry fee.

Bernie

I'm not a Buick guy, was just speaking in general.

I say go for it. Keep at it as you don't want to be that guy that wants to sell an unfinished project.

It takes me a couple of years to build a street rod, but I am retired and am pretty much full time in my shop.

Most people take much longer than that. It kills me to hear these guys talking about their twenty year projects.

That tells me that they don't much like the car any more. Or got in over their head. Probably both.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Hot Rodding is Dead

This speaks to the heart of what Big Idol stands for. Give this a share and spread the culture! As far as I can tell, this video was created by a gentleman named Eric Darby who has a YouTube account of the same name.

Posted by Big Idol on Wednesday, March 9, 2016

\

That sounds like something my wife was listening to on Books on Tape; I asked her to come in and listen. She agreed that the speaker had that "read for hire" sound. I laughed about the $6,000 paint job. That gave me insight into what readers and writers make. A professor would give them and A. I gave them a shrug. Better to use it to define prose than the car hobby. I would rather hear Stacy Keach read that particular script.

Hot Rodding, Street Rodding, Customizing, drag racing have been alive and in transition for 100 years. The question on this car has been answered. It is someone's leavings, so go for it. The part about doing the "math" to make motor mounts is what raises an eyebrow.

Bernie