Cross country road trip

Guest rbassemir

Guest rbassemir

In 1916 my grandfather, CW Tuthill and PG Scull made a round trip from Newark, NJ to California and back in a 1917 Maxwell. On the 100th anniversary of this accomplishment my brother and I are planning to do it again, using a 1917 Maxwell (but we are just going one way).

Our grandfather kept a diary so we have pretty accurate list of the towns they passed through and landmarks they saw as well as some pictures and letters. We want to take the same route as closely as possible. Starting with the Lincoln Highway, US 40, and Rte 66 to Los Angeles, CA. Planned departure is November 16th (the 100th year anniversary start date).

We created a website with his diary, pictures, letters and our plans to relive history.

http://rtbassemir.com/1916-transcontinental-road-trip/

We learned a common issue with this kind of trip in the older cars is over heating. The Maxwell had a siphon type of cooling system. We want to add a water pump to the car (using the original engine). Although we have some idea how to do this, if others out there have experience adding a water pump we would like to hear how you did it and maybe some pictures.

We also would like to replace the flat belt with a v-belt and add an alternator to run 12 volts. Again if anyone has experience with this we would like to hear what worked for you or maybe what did not work. One solution we saw as running an alternator off the drive shaft.

We would also like to build a network of car enthusiasts along our route in case we need technical advice should we run into issues, or maybe the name of a good place to eat. Once we start we will post a daily blog on our progress at the web site mentioned above. If you are interested in following this adventure, you can subscribe on that web site for updates.

Attached is a picture of Tuthill and Scull and a picture of the Maxwell we will be using.

CWTstart_photo.jpg

MaxwellPrep.jpg

If you are travelling Rt 30 (Lincoln Highway) you will pass thru York, PA. Our shop is about 8 miles South of York. Should you need the loan of tools and/or a place to work give us a call. Should you suffer a break down while in our area we can provide a trailer to retrieve your car. We would happily serve as your "safety net" while you are travelling from Lancaster to Gettysburg (and I would bet money your GF visited Devil's Den while in Gettysburg). Not looking to drum up business, just offering our help free of charge if needed. We find your trip fascinating!  Too bad you can't schedule your trip to land you in Hershey during the annual Fall meet. Jeff Hammers/Penn-Dutch Restoration

Guest rbassemir

Thanks, Restorer32, yes we will be going through York on Rt 30 on November 16 if all goes as planned. We appreciate your offer, but I am hoping that early in the trip we don't have to call ya. The idea of having a safety nets along the route is very appealing. I have added you to our list of potential helping hands.

Our grandfather did this trip in 10 days and 16 hours. According to their sponsor, Texaco, that set a national record back then. We are not trying to set a national record, we just want to complete the trip in 10-12 days. Not sure how much time we will have to visit sites. According to our grandfather's diary that first day they drove until about 17 miles outside of Wheeling WV. That was about 400 miles the first day, wow... but they were not able to keep up that pace.

Thanks again for your support!!!

Not sure how to advise you on the water pump or alternator concepts, except to suggest you make sure the other components are good first. (radiator core, block flushed out, good electrical ground connections, etc.)  Maybe a brass era owner can recommend good updates for long distance travel.

I would like to suggest you consider a good strobe light or other signal method for the rear of the vehicle.  You'll want to get the attention of a fast approaching vehicle - especially with all of the distractions out there!  Be careful, enjoy.

While I am certain that it is possible to complete the trip in 10 to 12 days you should probably plan on a bit longer and plan your route carefully. Have you spent enough time in your car to know what its "natural" cruise speed is on two lane roads? I think I remember my dad getting our '18 Maxwell up to around 40 mph but it was not happy. If I recall "happy" was around 32 mph, but of course it hadn't had much done to it mechanically at the time.

Regardless, great trip and a great plan - I will be following your progress with great interest.

If your trip brings you anywhere near Palm Springs on the California end, I be real pleased to have you drop into my bar/restaurant (as my guests, of course!) for a good meal and a couple ice cold beers.

Greg

Pulled these pictures off the net a few years ago of a 1917 Maxwell with what I believe has a Model T Ford aftermarket water pump adapted to it. It looks like it almost bolts on and possibly the lower hose must be altered and possibly the shaft length to get to the Maxwell belt?

Howard Dennis

Maxwell Water Pump 1.JPG

Maxwell Water Pump 2.JPG

• Like 1

Guest rbassemir

Thanks Howard for the photos... this helps us figure out what to do.

Yes, Terry, others have suggested doing this on a warmer time of year but we wish to do this on the 100th anniversary and November 16th was when my grandfather started.  :-)

Being interested in geneology, and the past in general, it is incredible that your grandfather had the ability to document the journey so thoroughly.  I am sure you guys won't be alone on your journey!  Since I probably wont ever have the vehicle or the time to take on such a task, I will live vicariously through your blogs.  I definitely did during the Swann's adventure.  Wishing you good travels in advance.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 0:44 PM, Restorer32 said:

If you are travelling Rt 30 (Lincoln Highway) you will pass thru York, PA. Our shop is about 8 miles South of York. Should you need the loan of tools and/or a place to work give us a call. Should you suffer a break down while in our area we can provide a trailer to retrieve your car. We would happily serve as your "safety net" while you are travelling from Lancaster to Gettysburg (and I would bet money your GF visited Devil's Den while in Gettysburg). Not looking to drum up business, just offering our help free of charge if needed. We find your trip fascinating!  Too bad you can't schedule your trip to land you in Hershey during the annual Fall meet. Jeff Hammers/Penn-Dutch Restoration

So now I know who Restorer32 is.  I was wondering what your shop was (I'm a newbie here).  I've heard of your shop before (even being 800mi away).  I visit friends in Harrisburg a few times a year and I've heard the name Penn-Dutch tossed around a few times at the Kelly Cadillac show in Lancaster put on by the Central PA region of the CLC that usually happens in May.  The show usually coincides with our Victoria Day weekend, so while we're down with visiting friends, us guys head to the show for a day while the wives go shopping.

We're a general restoration shop. Been in biz for 37 years. I prefer working on Pre War stuff and we do have an '09 car here as well as several other pre war cars but like everyone we're getting into newer and newer cars. For some reason we have had a glut of Cadillacs the last couple years. Doing a frame up on a '60 Biarritz at the moment. We had a pair of '58 Broughams here for a while. We restored and showed a '59 Conv thru AACA and CLC judging. We're active with the Potomac Region CLC. We probably should join the Central PA Region as well. Happily my Son is taking over the business so I have time to goof around online. I take it you're from Canada? We just yesterday sent a '33 Packard back to Ontario. We rewooded it and did the sheet metal work.

" Best take a sweater."

Better take a parka in an open car. On November 16, 2014 it was -1 in Kansas. Roads were ice covered with numerous accidents. I've driven a Model "A" (Sport Coupe) on a 200 mile trip at below zero and even though it was a closed car and had a manifold heater it is COLD.

Just my two cents - oh, in any event don't forget your anti freeze

Guest rbassemir

Thanks Allen, we appreciate your support.

I was up your way last October.... checked out the Cadillac Range (without any spray paint). ha! 

Rich

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

For replacing the flat belt with a V belt, I would suggest that you go to a NAPA store and match up a serpentine belt the length and width that you need and use it.  That is what I run on my old truck and it works great.

I also use a NAPA Serpentine belt on the flat  pulleys of my 1915 Hudson. Mine is approximately one inch (1") wide, and the wider surface area means that the belt does not need to be very tight to maintain good operation and no stress on the bearing/bushing.

1915 Hudson Engine Right.jpg

1915 Hudson Engine Left.jpg

I don't want to rain on your parade, but when I was much younger, I used to go on 400 - 800 mile bicycle trips through California. All the roads I used have been changed to high - speed freeways, and your slow speed will not be allowed on many of those roads now. My neighbor took his motorhome to California, only to have a Highway Patrol car pull alongside him, and tell him to "speed up, or get off the freeway". The speed limit was 65, and that was exactly what he was doing. You might want to look at a plan "B" using some backroads. I'm pretty sure you won't get there the same time he did if you have to take alternate routes. Willy

2 hours ago, Willy said:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but when I was much younger, I used to go on 400 - 800 mile bicycle trips through California. All the roads I used have been changed to high - speed freeways, and your slow speed will not be allowed on many of those roads now. My neighbor took his motorhome to California, only to have a Highway Patrol car pull alongside him, and tell him to "speed up, or get off the freeway". The speed limit was 65, and that was exactly what he was doing. You might want to look at a plan "B" using some backroads. I'm pretty sure you won't get there the same time he did if you have to take alternate routes. Willy

Been living in California for nearly 40 years now and I don't normally speed which means I sit in the right lane and have lots of cars pass me. I've never had the CHP nor any other law enforcement give me a second glance. When going longer distances in my '33 I keep the speed about 60, below the speed limit and well below what much other traffic is doing. Again, I've never had the CHP nor other law enforcement bother me.

That said, freeways are not fun in a vintage car so finding secondary routes is a good idea. If retracing the old US66, in California lots of that is still drivable as non-freeway though you might want to be equipped for having issues in areas without traffic or cell phone coverage. Check out a good map, it is possible to travel many places in California without getting on a freeway. For example, in 2013 a group of us toured from the San Francisco bay area to a Plymouth Club meet in Tucson, Arizona and did not have a single mile of freeway driving.

Wow!! What an adventure this will be!  Have a fantastic time and I can't wait to read about your adventures and tales.  We would be available for help, but you are staying well north of NC, but best of luck to you and safe travels :)