1956 Century Ring and Pinion

Beemon

The car is in the shop for a scheduled tear down of the rear end to replace all the bearings and seals. I got a call today from the shop that the pinion gear was loose and has been hammering away at the housing and spider gear assembly. Furthermore, it has effectively sanded off the hardening on the surface of the teeth. The gear set is fine but he strongly suggested to track down a replacement. As far as I know, 1956 is a one year wonder with the rear end. The local classic junkyard has no rear ends left in their two 1956 Buicks. How often does this gear set pop up? No one makes this gear and I haven't been able to turn any leads.

A little bit of history: My grandfather had the rear end out in the mid 60s and went through and replaced all the bearings and seals himself. He tightened down the pinion nut and then backed it off.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

So essentially your wheels turn slightly faster for the same RPM on the engine.  Probably not enough difference to see a fuel economy change on these cars, 

There's a good article here:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/how-gear-works/

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

So just to clarify, there are nothing wrong with the gears, except that the bottom of the pinion gear is rounded at the edges from hitting the spider housing. They are solid, but the hardening has been worn off in places because the pinion was loose (it looks like rubbed through tin foil?). What trouble would I get in to if I kept the gears?

Looking at the carrier in the listing I notice some lite rust on the gears. When I restored my 55 Olds the ring gear had some lite pitting on a few of the teeth. I figured it would not be a problem. I was wrong. The rear hummed badly under acceleration. A new center section fixed it. Maybe that listed rear is fine. I'm just saying it doesn't take much to make it otherwise.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

How much are you going to drive that car?  If yours can be put back together to be functional and quiet and using 85W-140 lube it will last a few hundred thousand miles.

The only thing I would worry about on that ebay item is the pinion splines.

I would like to drive the car fairly often. I'm going to be going to a four year institution to finish up my engineering degree soon and it's the only car I own, so it was going to be my daily driver at the campus. I called the shop, going to go in and take a few pictures so you guys can see it.

Both show the same surface damage, the ring and the pinion.
They (the shop)  are correct... that you do need a new set. 

If you got lucky to find a  NOS set, you don't need to replace the ring gear carrier just because it has marks.  But the spider and side gears need to be looked at during rebuild, ....but they do look fine in these pics.  They don't turn very much, which is why they are looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, Ttotired said:

I wouldnt put that back in my car

Was it noisy, apart from where the pinion was hitting the carrier, the crown wheel teeth are shot, I would have thought it would have howled like a banchee

Mick

It was loud above 20mph. Shifting into reverse or drive after starting the car always clunked into gear, but after running the gear clunking went away.

33 minutes ago, F&J said:

Both show the same surface damage, the ring and the pinion.
They (the shop)  are correct... that you do need a new set. 

If you got lucky to find a  NOS set, you don't need to replace the ring gear carrier just because it has marks.  But the spider and side gears need to be looked at during rebuild, ....but they do look fine in these pics.  They don't turn very much, which is why they are looking pretty good.

So far nothing has turned up except for those dirty Ebay listings with the wrong gear set. I would call Wheatbelt, but they aren't around anymore sadly. I'm just in a bind, it can't sit in the shop forever and I have no leads to a good gear set. The cars at the local classic junkyard have the rears torn out already.

Your corner of the US has a better chance of finding a used chuck, than my area. Cars rotted out decades ago, so none are left in my local wreckers

Is there any chance your local wrecking yard is part of that service, where they can request a used part from another yard ?  

If not try a wanted ad on buy/sell up at the top on the main forum page.  Also could try a advanced search on Craigslist to see if one is a few hours away.  ??

The guy who runs the local yard does it out of his own pocket in his backyard. Last time I was up there he said he just dealed locally.

I already put in a wanted add in Buy/Sell, still no hits. I have until next Friday before they put it back in the car and say come back again soon.

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Did you try Bud's Salvage, as written about in the March Bugle? Bud's Salvage.  You could also try French Lake Auto Parts in Minnesota. French Lake auto Parts 

I bet each of them have more than one unit available.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Edit: Sent out parts request quote, but neither one had anything listed. Won't hear back until Tuesday...

• Like 1

One other thing to consider is that the pinion was making metal chips and fine particles that circulated in the oil and were carried into the bearings and all sliding surfaces. All the bearings from the carrier to the rear axle have probably been compromised. You may get away with disassembling everything and cleaning and flushing everything and putting up with a noisy rear until you can find a replacement...........Bob

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

You can buy an later rear axle at least up to 1959 probebly even 1960 and use the complet differential with  ring and pinion.The only problem is that the pinion axle are shoter on 1957-1960,as in the picture.

Leif in Sweden

Buick 1959 43-14=3.07  001 (1).JPG

Will this bolt up to the original torque tube and mounts? I'm not a fabricator and I hate chopping up the car. 

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

One other thing to consider is that the pinion was making metal chips and fine particles that circulated in the oil and were carried into the bearings and all sliding surfaces. All the bearings from the carrier to the rear axle have probably been compromised. You may get away with disassembling everything and cleaning and flushing everything and putting up with a noisy rear until you can find a replacement...........Bob

The car was in the shop to have all the bearings and seals redone in the rear end anyways. The car can't sit in the shop for long because they have a wait list now and they can't keep the car in the shop if they have nothing to work with. When I was in on Friday, the tech said the gears are in good condition for how old the car is, there is no problem with meshing and none of the teeth are damaged except for the hardening that's been worn off. It's under warranty for one year so they said if I find some gears in the next year they'll open it up for no shop time charge but I'll most likely have to buy a bearing kit again. 

49 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Will this bolt up to the original torque tube and mounts? I'm not a fabricator and I hate chopping up the car. 

The car was in the shop to have all the bearings and seals redone in the rear end anyways. The car can't sit in the shop for long because they have a wait list now and they can't keep the car in the shop if they have nothing to work with. When I was in on Friday, the tech said the gears are in good condition for how old the car is, there is no problem with meshing and none of the teeth are damaged except for the hardening that's been worn off. It's under warranty for one year so they said if I find some gears in the next year they'll open it up for no shop time charge but I'll most likely have to buy a bearing kit again. 

Then just run it and look for a replacement. I'll be surprised if it's not noisy. Make sure they clean out the rear itself. Probably lots of particles hiding in there. Also I'm not so sure the gears are case hardened rather than fully hardened & tempered alloy steel......................Bob

Okay I understand now. So would that be a bad thing that it has a smaller spline surface? Doesn't seem like it would affect the 1956 torque tube. Also does this mean that the ring and pinion off a 1957-1960 Buick is the same as a 1956 or are they still different?

The ratio can be different as you can see on the picture,and a smaller spline surface are not the very best on 1956 models if the splines already are not the very best .Before you put the rear axle back on the car again ,just check the rear tube splines against the pinion splines,they use to be to much "play" on it.  1956 splines on the "pinion-and tube"are probebly the worst year of Buick, 1957 and later models  changed it to be one more U-joint on the tube close to the rear axle.

Leif in Sweden.

Utväxling bakaxel (4).jpg

• Like 1

My interchange says:

1.  1957-1960 center section will fit 1956.
2.  Complete 1957 rear axle assembly (w/ axle shafts & drive shaft) will fit 1956 in the same series (ie. 1957 40/60 series will fit 1956 40/60 series).  Axle shafts were the same on 40/60 series for 1956-1958.

You might be able to make a 1957-1960 ring and pinion work in a 1956 rear if you know the differences.  In addition to what has been posted above, I think the ring gear was bolted on in 1957-1960, but rivited on in 1956.

Yes.  The center section (carrier w/ gears) will fit (the same for all series other than the gear ratio) but the complete rear end won't fit because the axles and housing for the 50/70 series are wider than the 40/60 series. 

So you need one of the following (watch ratios for all options):

-1956-1960 center section (carrier w/ ring and pinion gears) from any series
-1956-1957 complete rear axle assembly from 40 or 60 series
-1956 ring and pinion gear set

and you might be able to get the following to work:

-1957-1960 ring and pinion gear set

1956-1960 Buick Gear Ratios.jpg

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Weather is looking good! Unless you mean the gears, then I won't know until I get out there. They're still sealed in the car with the 3.36 gears. I'm taking my original gears to match numbers just in case. I will take some pictures though. If you need anything, here's a full list of what they have - must be a little outdated because they said they had one Century that's not listed on this page, but I found it on another. Bear in mind it takes them one full work day to process orders and most of it is local pick up only, that was the case for the carrier anyways.

• Like 1

Just wanted to post an update: I got a call today from the junkyard and I might not get out until Wednesday. I want to point out that they made it clear this is not a pick and pull style junkyard and they oversee any parts being removed from the vehicle, hence the one day work advance. About the only thing you can pull are hub caps... I can take a look and see what they have upon request but I won't be able to have them pulled until their employees are free.

Well just wanted to give a status update. Turns out the gear set was junk and I never got out to the junkyard. There's one more in Idaho, but I have yet to hear from them and my spring break ends on Sunday. My other leads turned up dry - either pitted or non-existant. The plan is to put it back in the car and see what comes next.

• Like 1