Trippe lights

bob duffer

I believe they are commercial.

I believe all Trippe lights were intended for commercial vehicles, fire trucks, etc.  None were offered as factory options on cars.  However, I'm happy to be corrected if someone has some factory pictures or documentation to show otherwise.

Guest AlCapone

I believe all Trippe lights were intended for commercial vehicles, fire trucks, etc.  None were offered as factory options on cars.  However, I'm happy to be corrected if someone has some factory pictures or documentation to show otherwise.

It is my opinion this is not correct. I believe Trippe lights came on many of the high end cars. Wayne

They were not all commercial like Pilot Rays for example that were made to hook up to your steering. As for Tripp Lights they had juniors and seniors, painted for commercial and chrome for autos. I do not believe they were factory accessories and may have been a dealer option or jobber accessory.  As for points I do not think you will loose any for having them on you car at a judged meet or you would not see them on so many Full Classic cars. White Glove Restorations  would have an answer to this question.  

It is my opinion this is not correct. I believe Trippe lights came on many of the high end cars. Wayne

Al, I know many people install them.  I would like to see a factory photo or some paperwork that proves they were original equipment.  They certainly might have been - I just don't recall ever seeing the documentation.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Trippe lights came in many different forms and sizes.  The earlier ones, that are pictured are seniors, they came chrome and painted some had levelers some did not. 

The later Tripps came with with a flatter back, as they were mounted closer to the grill on later cars. Again, some were painted, some were chrome  Trippe juniors had a smaller diameter .

All of these were on the shelves of various auto parts stores. The customer could pick and choose according ti their budget.

None were offered by a factory as a option. If someone can produce a piece of literature from the factory, I will stand corrected.

Guest AlCapone

Al, I know many people install them.  I would like to see a factory photo or some paperwork that proves they were original equipment.  They certainly might have been - I just don't recall ever seeing the documentation.

A although I have no proof I based my opinion on being at 3 Concours events and seeing them on several high end vehicles. The cars did not seem to be the type that would have add ons and they had won in there class. I have been wrong before. Wayne

AACA Official Judging Guidelines  page 21 number 10 Trippe and Pilot Ray are excepted on classic cars and certain pre-war II production vehicles....

Joe, did you mean "Trip and Pilot Ray are ACCEPTED on classic cars"?

Or if you meant "excepted," from what are they excepted?

One expert once told me that those lights were listed options on Packards,

though they may have been installed by the dealer.

Curt,  how does the ACD judge with regard to period equipment that could be bought from an auto parts counter?

Cars are judged the way they sat on the show room floor after dealer prep.  Do you suppose there were Trippe's on them?   

HOWEVER, the ACD company did offer Pilot rays as a factory authorized option on L-29's and Auburn up to but not including 1934 production cars.

In my opinion it is a shame that the AACA ' relaxes' the judging standards, because many clubs look to them for guidance.  

Edited by Curti (see edit history)

Joe, did you mean "Trip and Pilot Ray are ACCEPTED on classic cars"?

Or if you meant "excepted," from what are they excepted?

One expert once told me that those lights were listed options on Packards,

though they may have been installed by the dealer.

This may help

post-125099-0-58246300-1458135267_thumb.

Curt,  how does the ACD judge with regard to period equipment that could be bought from an auto parts counter?

Now thinking out loud if a customer had a coach built body and he wanted driving lights installed seeing we are talking ACD now I do not think they would say no. I have always admired Wood Lights and were they ever a factory option or just on coach built body's?

You can download that page from the AACA Judges Guideline on the AACA website under Publications, Judges Guidelines, which is now on page 2-19 in the 2016 Guidelines (but says the same.) If you're going to have the car judged with the lights, I'd suggest you take a copy of it with you to the meet. Since you really cannot produce factory documentation for it,you could hand the Guidelines page to the team captain.

As to your original question, that shiney black chrome look would probably be accepted. But it would be great if one of these guys could document it.

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

Pilot Ray lights were offered as factory approved accessories in both the 1930-31 Franklin and 1932 Cadillac/LaSalle accessory catalogs I have copies of in my archives. The Trippe lights were in the 1932 Packard accessory catalog but not with the curved brackets we are all used to seeing, but with a straight vertical bracket that mounted to the round bar between the frame /chassis in front of the radiator. The only period photograph (of 4,000 plus in my collection) I have of a car equipped with the curved Trippe brackets we are used to seeing is on a 1938 Packard town car with Derham body, and the buckets are painted but so was all of the chrome on this car except the hubcaps. They are definitely a more popular accessory with collectors now then they were with car owners when the  cars were new prior to WWII.

This is one of those questions that comes up now and then. As far as anyone can document, those large Trippes were built for and marketed to tractor trailer owners as auxiliary lights and were never factory installed or authorized on any auto. If you want to be famous in the antique car world just find a factory pic of a car with those large Trippe lights mounted to the bumper brackets and you will attain immortality. Years ago they were grandfathered into AACA judging since almost every early '30s Classic seemed to be wearing them.

Don't forget the owl light mounted off the top of the radiator she'll in 1927 and 1928. I have seen three of them over the years all on Lincolns that were original. I am sure I have a photo of a set of Trippe lights on a new 33 Packard.......I just can't find it in the mess of my files. Ed.

For the record, the last 8 cars I bought had either trips or rays on them........they all came off. As did the side mount mirrors, and trunks. People today add too much junk to their cars.........I like the plain factory showroom look.

• Like 1

Guest AlCapone

For the record, the last 8 cars I bought had either trips or rays on them........they all came off. As did the side mount mirrors, and trunks. People today add too much junk to their cars.........I like the plain factory showroom look.

If you have any of these accessories for sale please send me a private message. Wayne

Here is a dual ray on a new 1931 Cadillac 16...... Am I famous or infamous?

Are there 'Dual Ray' or Pilot Rays?  These are the same lights that are in the Auburn and L-29  sales brochures, which are referred to as Pilot Ray.  I think they say Pilot Ray on the lens.

None of the pics posted show the style Trippes which are the subject of this discussion. Specifically the large Trippe lights with the levels and the cast curved mounts were never original equipment. Of course Pilot Rays were original as was the single "Packard-Trippe" shown in the accessory catalog but those are different animals.

Here is a dual ray on a new 1931 Cadillac 16...... Am I famous or infamous?

Your historical pictures are very helpful, Ed.

Someone said that that documentation would 

make you immortal in the antique-car world---

Now, were all these lights actually USED much

when the cars were regular drivers?  Or were they

like post-World War II loaded-up accessories, which 

were there mostly for dealers' profit margins?

Were they there primarily for the look?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Again, I double dog dare you to find a factory pic or factory documentation showing the large Trippes with the curved bumper bracket mounts. Not talking about Pilot Rays or the single center mount light as shown in the Packard catalog which was made by Trippe and marketed by Packard as the Packard-Trippe light. Personally I like the look of them on certain Classics and I have several pair but original equipment they were not. 

I agree with Restorer32, if any of you have a good clear period photograph of a classic car pre war with the Trippe lights in question on the car I would like to see it as well.

Single and dual Pilot Ray nights were popular to a certain extent and were placed on pre war cars when new. Personally for me I like the Packard - Trippe light with the vertical stand

and used to like the Trippe lights in pairs on the cars, but not so much anymore since everything is now being fitted with these by current collectors from Cadillac V16's to Durants (that is not a put down for Durant cars, I saw a Durant sedan with a pair of Trippe lights mounted on it at a restoration shop recently).