Re-use head gasket

DavidAU

I was wondering what others think about re-using a head gasket and if they had done so did they do anything to it before use and was it successful.

I have an engine that has been fitted with a new copper/asbestos type gasket and then run/idled for about 20 mins but now the head has got to come back off to address a valve problem.

The engine is low compression, 4.5 comp. ratio maybe, and does not have any water pressure in the radiator.

I realize that it would be better to fit a new one and if they were freely available I would however this gasket is custom made and it takes quite a while to get another one.

Hello David

As you are aware, you should always use a new gasket when refittng the head, but I see your predicament. I have never heard of the soaking and freezing technique, but who knows, maybe it works.

What I was going to suggest, because I have done it myself, was simply to degrease and fit the gasket with a coat of hermatite or similar sealant on both sides. Go for the hardening type of sealer, not silicone instant gasket. In your low compression, low pressure application, i am sure it would be fine.

Kind regards

Adam..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1) the gasket is already fitted to your engine so if you put it back exactly the way it came out it should work as new 2) it has not been in use long enough to be compressed to the point of being useless.

Soak in hot water or not, use some kind of sealer or paint and it will work fine.

Not true, once it's torqued down, the gasket is crushed (which provides the seal and a specific thickness)and will not give the same seal as a new one. They don't become "fitted" 

It's a personal thing. I prefer to not have to do a job again to save a couple dollars. Gaskets are cheaper than labor.