Looking for a club to join so I can take all my old vehicles to

junkyardjeff

I am in two brand specific clubs and since I always have more then one brand I am thinking about dropping both and joining one that I can bring any of my vehicles too but there will be a big problem with the AACA since none of my vehicles are 100 percent original and I doubt I would ever put them back that way,since I never show in judged shows I would never enter any of my vehicles in the shows but are there other AACA events I could attend in a reasonable distance from where I live to make it worth it to join. I also thought about the NSRA and Goodguys but they eliminated the Indianapolis event leaving only the Columbus and the NSRA event in Louisville is the closest,I want to join a club to get the best bang for my money and get out and do something but I have a feeling there might not be anything for me so anyone have any ideas.

Let's see, hmmm, you have 1,142 posts on an AACA forum and still don't know what AACA is about?  I must have missed something here.  If there were such a category in AACA, my vehicles would qualify for the OSAC category ... One Step Ahead of the Crusher.  With that said, I have one original 1938 Chevrolet, two Crosleys, and a couple of more lightly modified cars.  Oh, and then there are the two hotrods.  I could be wrong, but I think that there is a place for almost any old vehicle in AACA that has not been completely modified.  I don't often enter car shows, but when I do, it's just for the enjoyment of the cars and people because none of my cars is of show quality ... no matter what organization might be sponsoring a show:  AACA, NSRA, Good Guys etc.  As far as I'm concerned, car show trophies mean little ... but that's just me.  I do, however, greatly admire the 100 point (and less) restored vehicles and respect the dedication and commitment required to produce such works of art.

Just my opinion,

Grog

• Like 2

Guest AlCapone

Let's see, hmmm, you have 1,142 posts on an AACA forum and still don't know what AACA is about?  I must have missed something here.  If there were such a category in AACA, my vehicles would qualify for the OSAC category ... One Step Ahead of the Crusher.  With that said, I have one original 1938 Chevrolet, two Crosleys, and a couple of more lightly modified cars.  Oh, and then there are the two hotrods.  I could be wrong, but I think that there is a place for almost any old vehicle in AACA that has not been completely modified.  I don't often enter car shows, but when I do, it's just for the enjoyment of the cars and people because none of my cars is of show quality ... no matter what organization might be sponsoring a show:  AACA, NSRA, Good Guys etc.  As far as I'm concerned, car show trophies mean little ... but that's just me.  I do, however, greatly admire the 100 point (and less) restored vehicles and respect the dedication and commitment required to produce such works of art.

Just my opinion,

Grog

d

Well said Grog ! Wayne

I know you have mentioned it before but I don't remember how modified your cars are. I don't remember your location either. I would suggest you simply find your nearest AACA Region or Chapter and check out one of their meetings. You could drive a modern car to the meeting to check it out, or you might want to drive your least modified car and see how it fits in. You can find a list of regions and chapters on the home page at aaca.org. You have very little to lose by checking out AACA, and possibly a great addition to your enjoyment of the hobby and a lot of friends to gain. 

Since it's the intent of AACA to preserve automotive history,

the club's national events are for unmodified cars.  But as

Matt Hinson above mentioned, you might check out the 

AACA region or two nearest you.  Some AACA regional shows

are happy to have modified cars along with the antiques.

If your modified vehicles don't get a welcome, please don't take it

personally:  Every club must decide its focus.  You might not

see LeSabres at a Riviera meet, dogs at a cat show, or

hot rods at an AACA event. 

There are monthly activities in the Southern Chapter of the Ohio Region. Your car does not have to be completely stock to participate in their monthly tours and/or driving events. Also, depending on just how much your car(s) are modified, you can even show them in AACA national events in the Driver Participation Class. I really enjoy participating on the weekend driving events, but I have to admit I don't get to as many as I'd like to.

Jeff,

As you know, you are welcome to join us on Southern Ohio Chapter tours or events in any car,motorcycle, modern or hot rod. It is in attending national events like a show that modification may be an issue. After a past proding on this forum, I believe you drove a nice 65 Ford on a local tour to Hueston Woods, the new covered bridge and Ft. St. Clair a few years ago. While many of us are not fans of T-Buckets or Small Block Chevies in a 30's Ford when a flathead will do the same, most of the cars on local or Ohio Region tours have radial tires, sometimes A/C and other incorrect items on their driver cars of 50's, 60's and 70's. In fact a certain restorer of 40's Buicks AACA National meet winners from Northern Ohio has a nice yellow driver 40 Convt Sedan with a straight eight he usually drives on Ohio Region weekend tours. He also has driven a 40 Convt Sedan with a crate engine and A/C. The point is on local tours, we just want you to come, enjoy and hopefully host at some point a nice tour.

By the way, West Peterson does make a few tours a year in his Packard. He joined us on a covered bridge tour to Brown County with his wife and son in August lead by one of our youngest members, a 25 years old in his 23 Model T Ford. Unfortunately, Sean just moved back to Pittsburgh with his T but may join us on some Ohio Region tour in the Youngtown area.

Besides the local monthly tours or winter events, you can attend the quarterly weekend Ohio Region tours hosted by one of the seven local tours. We hosted the Summer Rally this past July that took us to antique semi truck collection in Fairborn, a nearly 200 year old family distillery in New Carlisle, several dams on the Miami River and other stops. The recent Fall Tour was hosted by the Western Reserve Chapter that was in the Mentor/Painesville area east of Cleveland. We toured wonderful back roads and saw a collections of award winning Stearns automobiles owned by the granddaughter of the manufacturer Frank Stearns and incredible Rolls Royce restoration shop that does Silver Ghosts and early Phantoms owned by some guys from New Zealand. That was an interesting story in it self. I wish more folks like our frequent poster Matt Harwood could have attended.

I believe I still occasionally forward our newsletter the Gauge to you. We have a Christmas dinner in December and some lunches or dinners in Feb and March before the touring season starts. Sometimes, we even have a spur of the moment winter tour like a group that goes New Years Day to Rabbit Hash, Ky if the weather is good.

Tom Muth

Southern Ohio Chapter, AACA

Heck I have 10X and keep getting different answers. Personally I have never "shown" a car (except for some local "people's choice"). If I go to something more formal I have a "For Display Only" sign. Once at a national marque event I had a little contest for anyone who could find all of the things "wrong" with my car. No-one could including a few egg-spurts.

Just a casual Googling found this (though 25 years old now includes the 1991 model year):

" I state that the majority of AACA members have what AACA classifies as a "driver," and I stress that we should have more members participating at national meets with their driver if they're not going to enter a car for judging. Basically, a driver is any vehicle (cartruck- motorcycle) that is 25 years old (1987) or older that many would consider to be their "cruiser" or the vehicle used on tours. Seat belts and seat covers may have been added, along with turn signals, additional stop lights, sealed beam or halogen headlights, a nice stereo radio system, upgraded electrical system, upgraded brakes (bolt on), upgraded steering (bolt on), air conditioning, overdrive, custom exhaust system, and even radial tires mounted on aftermarket alloy wheels of the same era as the vehicle. No problem. The AACA still classifies this type of vehicle as a driver and it can be evaluated by judges in the Driver Participation Class (DPC) and given a badge at a national meet."

So all of the cars on the left side of my .sig qualify for the DPC. For me this is more of what the AACA is about. Now can someone define "era" ? Would 1978 factory wheels on a 1970 be considered the same "era" (stock ones are not even safe in the driveway) ? Yout wants to know.

I know you have mentioned it before but I don't remember how modified your cars are. I don't remember your location either. I would suggest you simply find your nearest AACA Region or Chapter and check out one of their meetings. You could drive a modern car to the meeting to check it out, or you might want to drive your least modified car and see how it fits in. You can find a list of regions and chapters on the home page at aaca.org. You have very little to lose by checking out AACA, and possibly a great addition to your enjoyment of the hobby and a lot of friends to gain.

This is where the confusion starts. Oh, your car is ok for the driver participation class or your car is ok to go with us on a tour ( showing outsiders what AACA is or is not all about ) but your modified car is not welcome at a Grand national. Once you gather enough people with modified cars out there someone will be wanting to change the rules. Just ask people of VCCA or how about that eye opener this year at Pebble Beach. At Pebble beach you can't even get invited with a 100 point restoration 49 Mercury, However the customized Merc's were there this year. AACA next?

I am not a member of any clubs. (I would go broke paying dues as I would have to join a bunch to cover all of my interests).

However, I can find a show or cruise of some kind pretty much every weekend in the summer.

I bet you could google up some site that most of the independents advertise on.

I find that 99.9% of car guys will welcome you no matter what you drive unless its a Prius.

As far as local tours go, there never has been any rules as to what to drive. I have been involved since the early 1970's and if a members antique was on the fritz or there was bad weather, they drove modern. My parents have been driving mostly modern for several years due to health issues. We have few members that hardly ever drive an antique. I call them wimps and listen to their excuses that it's too hot or cold or chance of rain or such stuff and welcome them anyway. While I do a few cruise ins to recruit some members and educate young folks about brass cars like my 1912 McLaughlin-Buick, sitting around in a lawn chair answering a hundred times what the carbide tank is and why the car is right-hand drive is not as fun as driving the back roads on a tour. Without clubs like AACA, VMCCA, HCCA and others, there would not be tours and insurance to cover hosts, meets like Hershey, contacts to help you with car issues or this forum. While the DPC class is relatively new, the cars in that class have always been welcome. They just had signs that said Do Not Judge with incorrect items on the car. I remember this well even in the 1970's from my Dad telling every thing that was wrong with a car. I always think that is funny since his cars have incorrect parts too. Most of the early restorations had a lot of incorrect stuff on cars. I have 1909 Maxwell restored by the Founder of our local chapter in 1954 which has the wrong lights, a propane tank fitted under the car instead of a carbide tank on the running board and a few other incorrect items. Most of that era restoration were painted the wrong colors too. They just got them running and had some fun.

Tom Muth

Jeff, your really have all your answers here already but to clarify things it is pretty simple. In MOST regions or chapters you can drive what you want. It is up to the region and MANY have shows and members with highly modified cars. That is totally up to the region. You said you were not interested in judging so the DPC Class in national meets is not really of concern although your car might fit the criteria.

If you want to join an AACA Region you must join the national club and at $35 we feel it is a HUGE bargain. The state of Ohio is very active and joining one of our groups there could be a lot of fun. I got to tour this summer in Ohio and our groups there did an incredible job and we all had a ball.

I know of no other national multi-make car club available to you as CCCA, VMCCA and HCCA are not going to fit your needs. So join a local car club or consider the gracious offer from Tom. I do not think you will be disappointed.

I am going to take the offer from Tom and see how I like it,the single brand clubs are ok but I am getting tired of them and I do not think there are any clubs locally that I can join. There used to be a few car clubs locally years ago but I have not heard anything about them for many years so I do not they are still around,I just want to get out and do something with fellow old car people and not just sit in lawn chairs behind my car.  I just want to find a club where any old vehicle is accepted and yes I do know what the AACA is about that is why in my first post I was thinking it could be a major problem if I were to join but other then the Goodguys or the NSRA what club is out there that I could really feel at home in where I can have any old vehicle and not be 100 percent original. I am a member of the VCCA and feel out of place there and also a member of the Crown Victoria Association that has no problems with modified vehicles but felt out of place with my driver quality car among the 90 percent trailered cars at the show this past summer so where does one like me go.

Jeff, I don't think you are going to find a "once size fit's all" car club. The AACA strives, as it should, to preserve antique cars as they came from the factory. All the other clubs mentioned, CCCA, HCCA, VMCCA also do the same. As for NSRA and Goodguys they cater to "hot rods" and customs. Your car may feel out of place in ether situation, depending how modified it is. Let's face it, do you think your car would fit in at a CCCA event, it's sort of like bringing a Corvette to a Mustang show. As stated many AACA Reigon's welcome cars that have been modified, but are only for display and not eligible for any awards. The V-8 Ford Club now welcomes  modified cars in their display class. I have friends in Ohio and they tell me that there dozens of car shows held every week. Why not just enjoy your car and attend local shows. If you enjoy reading the club publications that you get now, why quit.

I have a feeling that there might not be the club I am looking for and I do attend some local shows but wanting to do a little more like getting with fellow old car people and driving them to shows and other places togather instead of just doing it myself,when it comes to the VCCA I should have joined a local chapter as they would probably be more forgiving and I would not have to put up with only the politics of the main club. But since I usually have multiple brands the single brand clubs are about useless to me and a waste of money so I am looking to get more bang for the buck when it comes to a car club,I will accept the offer for the membership of the AACA and local chapter to see how I get along and go from there. I have no problem with all original old cars its just I do not want to own one that would have to be trailered to shows a long distance from home,I do not own a trailer and realized its cheaper to just drive the car to the show so whatever I own has to play well with modern traffic and travel on the highway but still look like what its supposed to be. I will not be coming in the AACA telling anyone they need to do what I have done to my vehicles but just looking to have some fun and attend more events if they are not too far from where I live.

Just a heads up about the Southern Ohio Club,  we are a social group who like to get out and exercise our vehicles and waste gas.  Some clubs will only go to each others house or shop to admire the current project, we seldom do.  From Nov through Mar we will get cabin fever and meet at a restaurant.  In warm weather, we will drive from 20 miles to 200 to visit something and eat.  Four times a year the seven chapters in the Ohio Region will get together for a weekend.  The clubs rotate hosting with tours and a Sat banquet.  We meet in April, July, October, & January.  Oh yes, most of us attend in January without an antique car. 

The AACA members are involved in Preservation of vehicles.  Vehicles that are personalized "Hot Roded / Customized" will have a lower status than an barn find needing painted and a new interior.  After all, the car is only original once.  We are not purest as many members have both types of cars.  Keep in mind, the AACA does not have any judging category for customized cars.  In the Driver Participation Class, some customization is permitted if it is period correct.  Baby Moon hubcaps are acceptable on a 1960 car but accepted on a 1940 as they were not available till the 1950s. 

The AACA does not require you have a vehicle to join and be active, only and interest in cars.   For me, judging has little interest, I like to tour.

There is an antique car parade in Hamilton OH in late July and they insist on no modifications.  They are not an AACA club.   I met a fellow who was rejected the previous year because he had baby moon hubcaps, that year he had put the originals on and participated.   Every group has there own interest.

Our club members tour in modern or any car 25 years or older.  I drive both, after all a 1990 is considered an antique and is available for judging.

Jeff, I think what you need to do is make friends with people in your area that have the same interests that you have. I have a group of guy's and their wives and we all travel to shows together. Sometimes we all go out to dinner but no one is under any obligation to do so, we are all flexible. We all park our cars next to each other and whats in my cooler and picnic basket is open to everybody and theirs is open in return. It's nice to travel in a group in case of a breakdown or other issue. As for the trailer issue it is just a fact of life when it comes to antique cars. I won't single out which club it was, but last year we went to the show that started on Monday and ran thru Friday. The concours and judging was to be held on Wednesday. Wednesday was the only day that you could see the vast majority of cars, the other days they were hidden away in the trailers and the minute the judging was over they were returned. I call them "Dracula Cars" they only appear for a short time and then disappear, it's almost like the sun is going to melt them. I can also understand both sides of the trailer issue, but it is more complex than it seems. If you would like, we could start another topic on the trailer issue.