Optima Battery yes or no and where ?

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

Ever since Optima batteries began being manufactured in Mexico there has been much discussion concerning quality. Many claim quality has diminished somewhat! Are they still a premium battery and if so where is the best source. If not what do you recommend for a group 86 battery? Thanks Wayne

There are only 3 or 4 battery manufactures that make all the batteries we see in the stores. quality is close to same from all whether it is a flooded cell type or gell or AGM. i have better luck with AGM batteries. the AGMs can sit in a state of disscharge for long periods and be brought back to full percentage with a smart charger designed for AGMs. i was never impressed with optima, the case is a little different looking but the technology inside is exactly the same as any other similar type battery. the only real difference was that the optima cost more.

My 1929 Cadillac has been running the same Optima for nearly five years without incident. I keep it on a Battery Tender whenever it's stored and I have a master cut-off switch for when it's parked, but I've never had an issue with it. I deal with a lot of batteries here in the shop and cars that do sit a lot, and the Optmias are no more problematic than others as long as you keep them topped up. I hear a lot of guys claim that you need special chargers or to hook a standard lead acid battery to the charger than hook that battery to the Optima, but I think that's nonsense. I will say that it kicks that Cadillac engine over with genuine vigor and has a lot more staying power than any other battery I've used. It doesn't seem to object to the ancient regulator that tends to over-charge batteries, either. I occasionally run with headlights on to burn off that extra amperage, but the battery never seems to care.

I'm a believer and think they're worth the extra price, especially since they don't leak or emit fumes that can damage paint and make a mess. Of course, they don't look stock, so if your battery is visible, then that's a consideration, but from a functionality standpoint, I'm pleased with them.

• Like 3

I just bought another Optima  Volt gel cell battery on Amazon.com for $112.97 with FREE shipping.  It came in about 5 days, (To Franklin NC, between Hooterville anf Pettycoat Junction)  well packed and ready to go on the AACA S.E. Divisional Moonshine & Mountain Mist Tour in Tennessee.  Worked just fine and was $6.00 cheaper than NAPA's 19L original equipment battery.

I laid it on it's side under the back seat, strapped it down and enjoyed it's large cranking amps for the whole tour in our 1966 VW Bug.

I agree wholeheartedly with Matt and Paul. I have been using these for years with excellent results, and no problems with extended storage. I order from Amazon.com - the 6-Volt is about $112 with FREE SHIPPING and NO SALES TAX -  and they are absolutely fresh, which is not always the case with local suppliers.

I have a pair of them in parallel in the 1941 Cadillac, and also use "000" cables. This gives 2,000 cranking amps and absolutely spins the big Caddy's flathead mill as if it were on Cheerios..

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I have had an Optima for over 10 years without a problem, but the "battery tenders" make an enormous difference in battery life.  I have not hat to replace any of my batteries since I started using them before I was replacing batteries every two years (not the Optima) it has been over 5 years and I have yet to loose a conventional battery.

I have used Optima batteries both 6 and 12 volt in 4 out of the last 5 cars I've owned and never had a problem. I do run my cars fairly often year round and give the batteries a top off with a battery tender every now and then but do not leave it connected.  As others have said Amazon is the best deal

Guest Al Brass

I cautiously bought and installed my first 6V Optima around 5 years ago and I wouldn't fit anything else in 6 volt now.  I have found them amazing.  I set one into an old Willard rubber case but I have since learnt you can now buy them that way for show cars.

Regards

Al

Guest prs519

I have been very impressed with the two Optimas I have used. The weight to amp-hr ratio is amazing.  Do NOT overcharge an Optima.  I left one charging and foolishly ruined it.  Try as I might, I could not get it to take a charge afterwards.. obviously, the trickle chargers the guys are mentioning are not sufficient to harm them, though.

Guest AlCapone

A lot of information to digest. Having said that I will try an Optima. Amazon $148 including shipping and in my local AutoZone and O'Reillys about $230 plus. Thanks to everyone for your input !

Wayne

AGM is "absorbed glass mat", means the acid solution is suspended in a fiberglass matting and is basically spill proof and less prone to sulfating.

In our truck parts business we are selling more and more of these, but they are expensive versus a flooded battery.

Chuck

I agree with Matt and Marty. I have a 6 volt version in my Buick and it gets abused. It sits for long periods of time without being charged or started. Never an issue.  

I also have a yellowtop 12 volt I run in my Riviera. It was a year and a half without starting and once I put the engine in, It cranked just like it should.

I've followed a similar discussion on the HAMB and a lot of people seem to feel the quality of the Optima's have diminished in the last couple years. I also agree however that the secret to long battery life is keeping them properly maintained, and it's hard to say how these people that are complaining have treated their batteries.

Guest AlCapone

Yes to Optima 6v Red...

had one for over a year and love it.  When not in use i plug it in to my Batter Tender Jr 6v Battery Maintainer !!

Got mine off of amazon for around $115 or so

Do you use the battery tender between every use ( even a few days ) or just in the case of extended non use such as a month or more?

Wayne

Guest lakelaurashawn

Optima Batteries are great, never had an issue and keep them on a tender when not in use.  Yes, the shape is a little different but they hold up for years.  (I would also place a lead battery on a tender when not in use too)  

I am not sure about the newer AGM batteries, but when I had my 42 foot sail boat up until 15 years ago the boat the newer style voltage regulators made for boats that had a special settings depending on the type of battery you were using.  Flood acid, gel or AGM.  

I have read in boating magazines where people had their AGM battery explode when they were using them with older voltage regulators that did not have these settings.

As I recall, it had to do with the charging voltage where AGM batteries use a slightly lower charging voltage.

Older cars may not have a very accurate or steady charging voltage, so it could be an issue with AGM batteries. 

As far as antique car batteries, I normally buy medium grade batteries that look as close to original as possible.  

On my older cars that have no battery drain when not in use, I never use an external battery charger.  I usually start them at least once per month in the winter.

For my 1984 BMW I attach a battery tender to it for around one day per week, since it has electronics that will drain the battery after around two or three weeks.