Cowl Lights NOS

MikeC5

Being in the resto business, with the amount of time to fix the cracks,dents,holes and rust, you would have more that 600 in to them and you still have the lens that looks funky. Chrome alone would be a couple of hundred at least. Then you have to buy or fix the electrical. After all that, I think 600 is a bargain if your doing a top notch resto.

I guess, in a free market, it all depends upon what side of the fence you are on. What I mean is that if it was you selling those lights you might want the best price you could get for them.

On the other hand, if you are restoring a car and these are what you want, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be other guys in the same position and so what you end up paying will be entirely down to the market.

Sometimes, of course, we do what we can to help other enthusiasts by not going down the path of market forces. I have done this all my life and have in turn been helped by other like minded people. This is an aspect of our hobby which I feel has a value rather than a price. These days, many people, usually not enthusiasts, tend to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I think the prices that rare parts can fetch these days is making our hobby more and more like a business and I think that is a shame.

Ray.

I think the prices that rare parts can fetch these days is making our hobby more and more like a business and I think that is a shame.

Ray.

I am seeing several people on here that are making a business out of the hobby and I see them recommended quite often.

So, shame on them?

I didn't say shame on anyone who has a business as a supplier of parts; or at least that is not what I meant to imply.

Sorry if I have offended anyone - no shame in trying to make a living!

The nature of our hobby has changed a lot over the years but for ME it has never been about making a profit. Nothing wrong with making a profit but I personally don't always want to mix business with pleasure.

I also don't expect others necessarily to agree with me. As I say, no offence intended.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I wasn't meaning to bash capitalism either.. It is good that we have some reliable suppliers who specialize in these cars so we don't have to rely on epay for everything. Since I don't make a living selling DB parts I prefer to share spares, when possible, for no profit with like minded enthusiasts of DB. I've been lucky enough to have a few Brothers do the same for me with parts I couldn't easily find.

I wasn't meaning to bash capitalism either.. It is good that we have some reliable suppliers who specialize in these cars so we don't have to rely on epay for everything. Since I don't make a living selling DB parts I prefer to share spares, when possible, for no profit with like minded enthusiasts of DB. I've been lucky enough to have a few Brothers do the same for me with parts I couldn't easily find.

That's just what I was trying to say, Mike. Thanks.

Ray.

Guest Henry White

Higher prices increase availability. The seller obviousy has a firm grasp on the reality known as inflation. Back when those lights were around $4 each the fuel for the car was about 20 cents a gallon. I dont care to work for a dollar a day though. One word best describes it, SOLD.

You are absolutely right to link availability with higher prices, Henry. Better things like this sell for whatever price the market will stand than sit on a garage shelf gathering dust for a few more years!

The price must have been right because the darn things sold!

Ray.

You are absolutely right to link availability with higher prices, Henry. Better things like this sell for whatever price the market will stand than sit on a garage shelf gathering dust for a few more years!

The price must have been right because the darn things sold!

Ray.

Well Ray you might see how high they go! They are being re - sold on EBAY starting at $899 with a "Buy it now" for $1200.

Someone in Florida.....

Guest Henry White

At $899 I would imagine they might be available forever. Or until his estate liquidates anyway. That seems to be a good bit now.

Well Ray you might see how high they go! They are being re - sold on EBAY starting at $899 with a "Buy it now" for $1200.

Someone in Florida.....

HA! "Takes money to make......" a corner on the market! So, is it politely time to start "bashing" now?

I think those lights have effectively been "removed from the market" now and will sit on a (particular) dusty shelf with many other needed parts for a long time. :mad:

Greed is a curious thing. It is so widespread but seldom satisfies anyone. :(

If these parts are priced too high they will remain unsold and their value will not be realised. No one benefits.

I think greed is getting in the way here but the guy can't see it. :rolleyes:

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's something you don't see every day. I can't imagine paying $600 clams for them but I guess he can try....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Pair-of-sidelights-for-1920-1925-Dodge-Brothers-in-retail-box-Rare-/221435608683?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

How about the new price $800.............http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=221439469217#ht_330wt_1290