Road trip on my bucket list, looking for advice

John_Maine

Hey guys, one of the things on my retirement bucket list is a road trip out west. I've always wanted to see what's out there; have a couple of cousins in the San Diego area that I'd like to visit as well. I'm thinking of a northern route out and a southern route back. I'd like to take in some presidential libraries, car museums, historic sites and National parks. Thought I'd head out of New England across Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and eventually the west coast down the Pacific Coast Highway to San Diego. Heading back, hit Arizona, New Mexico, Texas up to Kansas and Missouri (Eisenhower and Truman libraries) and then east. I'd love to do some of Route 66, maybe some of the Lincoln Highway.

If any of you have done this, what time of year would you do it? Spring is tornado season, summer seems to be fire season and I sure as heck don't want to run into any snow. I'm also not sure how I want to do it. I'd love to take my '72 LTD but don't have AC and cruise. I'm not crazy about hauling a trailer with my Taurus but I guess I could haul a small pop-up or something. I was thinking a small, van based motorhome would be okay but I don't want to invest in a truck and large trailer or 5th wheel.

Just looking for some thoughts and advice if any of you have done this and how you did it.

My wife and I did part of your loop in 2011. We camped with a small slide in camper on the back of my Ford F250. We planned the trip by deciding Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon were our western corners and then started adding things that were roughly on that loop. We were on the road for 6 weeks but part of that time was visiting relatives and the Crosley Nationals for a week. We started in early June in Western NY. We took a portable weather radio with us that had alerts for storms, big problem is you had to know where you were and we didn't always know. Found that most of the campgrounds in the big tornado areas had shelters and sirens.

We stayed off the interstates once we got past Chicago and enjoyed the slower pace of the two lane roads. Stayed a way from national chain restaurants and enjoyed a lot of small town cafes. We often planned our next day while camping the night before or while we going down the road. We asked locals when ever possible for things to see and places to eat and found some great places that we could not have found otherwise. We had no schedule accept the night over in Burlington IA at a friends house and when we needed to be back for the Crosley Nationals. Never got reservations for camping till we got there or late in the afternoon when we knew where we would be.

We got to Yellowstone on June 11th and the upper loop had only been plowed open for a week and the ice was just breaking up on the lake. Went from 98 degrees in Burlington Iowa on the 7th to 29 degrees in Yellowstone the morning of the 12th, got warmer during the day.

When you are at Rushmore be sure and go down the road to Crazy Horse, we actually liked that better. We did 5 National parks total, our favorite was Bryce Canyon. A hidden surprise that I highly recommend was the Cosmosphere museum in Hutchinson, Kansas. We found it when we were having supper family style in Dodge City and asked a freshly graduated from high school girl at our table what we should see in Kansas and that was the first thing she mentioned as a not to miss place and she was right.

Drop me an email <Jim@Bollman.com> if you want more info about our trip, I wouldn't waste more space on a mostly off topic posting. We did visit some old car friends along the way and take in the Crosley Nationals as part of the trip. One restaurant in Silverton CO was picked because they had a Model A parked in front of it for advertising and were restoring an old pickup on what was suppose to be an outside eating area.

Going early in the year like we did we missed a lot of crowds.

If you like old towns and antiques and crafts I would recommend Galena , Illinois and Dubuque, Iowa

http://www.traveldubuque.com/

http://visitgalena.reachlocal.net/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=VGSearch

Both are beautiful towns with a lot of history. My wife and I have been to both and have great memories of the trips

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

The Crawford Museum in Cleveland is great, especially for any body that likes seeing cars made from 1890-1940. Not cars but the air museum at W-P air base in Dayton, OH is also great. The A-C-D Museum in Auburn has some really great cars. I also understand there is now a large truck museum very close to the A-C-D museum. There's a lot of history to see at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. On my bucket list is the Gilmore Museum at Hickory Corners, MI and the Studebaker museum in South Bend, IN. We visited out west in 1984. Camped in Donner Pass and spent most of a week in the Harrah Museum before they had their first sale. Of course, it no longer exists but now the National Automobile Museum is in Reno and was created with some of the Harrah's cars. My guess is you will enjoy whatever you take time to see.

Guest camilla2013

Hi john, I can't give you any advice :) but I just can say that your idea is great!

Maybe if one day you'd like to do the same in Italy I'll give some advice ;)

For example renting an antique car (an old Ferrari or Alfa) and doing a road trip from Naples to Florence via Rome :cool:

Hey if I wanted to take a good trip like this I'd travel the Lincoln Highway. Starts in New York and ends in San Francisco. Great way to travel on one of the first routes and public highways in America. Not many but some of the original sites along the way still exist and you get to see all the small towns and sights along the way. This route was before Route 66.

John,

I get excited when I think about a road trip across our beautiful country. I live in the PNW and have been traveling like you are contemplating for over fifty years, and I am again thinking about driving from Seattle to Dover Del. next Spring. My advice is to give the northern route proper consideration. In other words don't just get to Yellowstone and head to California and think that you have seen the West but continue across Montana, Idaho and Washington then you will see one of the most beautiful parts of the country and still travel down the West Coast in relative comfort in the Spring or Summer without much fear of Tornados. As a mater of fact you could travel the general route of the Yellowstone Trail out of Chicago. This is a lesser known highway but is actually older then either the Lincoln Hwy. or Route 66, just click on the Yellowstone Trail on the internet for information. You might not get this advice from many on the Forum because I doubt that most members have been this route. Please give it some consideration, I doubt that you would be disappointed. If you are interested in more detailed information on some of my favorite places just get in touch with me. I am always happy to talk about travel!

Bill

John,

Just checked and the Yellowstone Trail really started in NY and not Chicago, as I had stated before. Regarding travel months, I prefer to travel in the West in the Spring and early Summer, May and early June; the East and Midwest in Sept. and early Oct. and the PNW July through Sept. I guess what that means is that Sept. and early Oct. would be the safest and most comfortable if I were planning the same trip but either would work about as well.

Have fun, Bill

I would spend time in Glacier park.....its a gem....and i would catch a few car shows. Here in the spokane area we have a couple great events. One is called car d alene....it is in coeur d alene idaho. They. Shut the main street down fora really cool car show. Silver auctions always has an auction going on on the waterfront, too. The website is. http://www.cdadowntown.com/index_cardlane.asp?pageid=1498

I also enjoy the good guys shows....anywhere....here is a link to their events. https://www.good-guys.com/2014-events

I havent been yet but this place is on my to do list. You can browse their collection to see if it interests you. It is in tacoma, wa. ...right off i5. http://www.lemaymuseum.org

There are a few swap meets in the nw that are great, too. One is in portland and the other in monroe, wa. It is put on by the early ford v8 club in may but has all makes of stuff. We love travelling over the hill for that one. The dates arent up yet but here is their site. http://www.efv8psrg.org

The weather here is excellent until july...then it gets super hot.

I would be sure to stop and see the Grand Coulee Dam...there are some great campgrounds along Lake Roosevelt. They have limited facilities but are perfect for travelling. You can also rent fire lookout cabins for pretty cheap (50 bucks a night for some). The website for finding them is http://www.recreation.gov. if u are a senior or disabled you can get a discount. I would check out Crater Lake, too.

Edited by AdW13 (see edit history)

Mount Rushmore is great, Crazy Horse is better. Yellowstone is great, Grand Tetons are better. Mount Hood, Crater Lake, Yosemite, Pacific Coast Highway, Bryce Canyon. Museums: Gilmore in Michigan, Air Force in Dayton, Nethercutt and Peterson in Los Angeles, Speedway Motors in Nebraska. Hit some of these and you will have a great trip.

Been to all in the last post and they are all awesome places. Call ahead for access to Crater Lake.....you never know when there will be too much snow to gain access to the crater view. WELL worth the side trip!!

Bill,

About a dozen Buick enthusiasts took the Yellowstone Trail route from Seattle & Vancouver WA to the BCA National Meet in Rochester MN several years ago. We had a great time and visited a local Museum and a super car collection just outside of West Yellowstone (Call the local Chiropractor. He is a Buick guy and arranged the visit). Don't miss Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park. http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

Also don't miss the Columbia River Gorge on Hwy. 84 to Portland. You can see a replica of Stonehenge, the WHAMM Museum in Hood Rv. and the second tallest waterfall in N. America...

There is really too much to see in just one trip...

Auburn In has several museums. well worth a stop. Yellowstone better than grand Tetons IMO. Take some time at Yellowstone, lots of good sights. We spent two days and did not come close to seeing everything. Glacier is also a must see. The Bad Lands and Rushmore are a must, Crazy Horse, not so much. You can see all you need to see from the road without paying for it IMO.

Pretty much agree with all the suggestions above. Don't be afraid to head north into the Canadian Rockies either... a little detour up into the Okanagan and Fraser River Valley is a great tour. We've done some early spring (Easter break) tours and found out a lot of the tourist traps aren't open yet, so if you want to see the caves in the South Dakota Badlands or things like that, maybe plan early June. I can't say I'm sold on dragging the camper around. If places are busy you have to be off the road by 4 to get a campground. By the time you register the camper, burn extra gas dragging it around and pay for campsites, you can pay for a lot of mid-range "decent but not fancy" motels. I like the mobility of just having the car and going where I want without worrying about a trailer out back. Don't put that trip on you bucket list or you'll never get it done... just start planning and do it!

Leave your pop-ups in the junk corner. This is a BUCKET LIST!

Buy a used extra-wide, self-contained, go anywhere, turbocharged Cummins diesel pusher with six speed Allison transmission. (it pulls out like a sportscar.)

You can park it in the fanciest motorhome parks in the country or for free in the walmart parking lot.

You bought it used. You should be able to sell it for a little less or a little more than up paid for it!

Cross one off the bucket list!

post-63449-14314228169_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281415_thumb.jpg

post-63449-14314228142_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281423_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281426_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281682_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281685_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142281687_thumb.jpg

John,

Kick your pop-up to the gutter. This is a BUCKET LIST!

Buy a good, used extra-wide, self-contained, go anywhere, turbocharged Cummins diesel pusher with six speed Allison transmission. This one drives like a sportscar.

You can park it in the fanciest motorhome parks in the country or for free in the Walmart parking lot.

You bought it used at a good price. You should be able to sell it for a little less or a little more than up paid for it! And pay off a loan if you used one.

Cross one off the bucket list!

(Yes that is a recliner in the living room and a Queen size bed in the master bedroom!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223485[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223486[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223488[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223489[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223490[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223491[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223492[/ATTACH]

Dwight,

Is that your motorhome?

Can we borrow it for about three or four years?

We'll spring for the new Michelins!

Actually we have, for some time now, been considering something similar, maybe a used Monaco Signature or Holiday Rambler Navigator, but with a tag axle, 400-550+hp, a couple of recliners, a computer desk, to tow a stacker so we can have Brass, Nickel, Classic/Glidden, and Chrome cars with us --- talk about pipe-dreams!!

Actually we have spent much of the past year on the road, and just completed a great road-trip. After the Glidden in Chattanooga and the SE Divisional Meet in Cleveland, TN, a fun week in Hershey and home again brought us to the drive west so we could judge at the Palm Springs, CA Meet in late October. As long as we were there, we attended a regional Annual CCCA meeting in Vista, CA at the home of a family whose collection of Pierce-Arrows is unsurpassed. W then met up with an L.A.-based cousin who has a place near Santa Barbara in Carpenteria. It only made sense to visit the:

1. Mullins Museum, and since the regular docent was busy, Peter Mullins' brother Patrick volunteered to be our guide.

2. Aaron Weiss' private collection

3. Petersen Museum - and their VAULT collection

4. Nethercutt Collection - both buildings - the 150 cars in the main building,

as well as the cars and orchestrions, organs, pianos,

and other mechanical musical instruments across the street.

5. A drive up US 389, to the east entrance to:

6. Yosemite National Park

7. Lake Tahoe, and a drive around it's western shore, and on to Nevada

8. Reno and the Bill Harrah (former) collection, now the National Automobile Museum

9. Las Vegas - and a quick visit to Gold and Silver Pawn - the Pawn Stars shop

10. Winslow, AZ and the meteor crater

11. had previously visited the Grand Canyon and Sedona,

so headed for Midland, TX where we had lunch with members of the AACA Region

who had done the 2009 AACA Founders Tour

12. Home - then back to Chattanooga to retrieve the Packard after fantastic dashboard woodgraining

(by way of Fayetteville (in far Northwest Arkansas) for a lot of parts and kits for older cars

I will add photos later

Next year the travels will include the Big Sky, Montana AACA Meet, all other meets and tours

The Bad Lands and Rushmore are a must, Crazy Horse, not so much. You can see all you need to see from the road without paying for it IMO.

If you didn't go in and think you saw it all you missed 90% of the Crazy Horse site. They have a great Native American Museum and lots of the back story on why it is there and how they are creating it, including scale models of what it will look like when completed. It has been under construction for 65 years and when I asked our tour guide, who was maybe 21, she said not in her life time. No government money is going into the project, it is being built with donations and money they make at the site. It is an Native American project, they hire students to give tours and explain what you are seeing. Spend enough time to stay for lunch, also good. The children of the original sculpture are continuing the project.