What will completely remove tar from bare metal?

hddennis

Just bought a replacement fan for my 1917 Maxwell. It is in really good shape except for surface rust and tar. I'm currently soaking it in molasses and know it will come out rust free. My question is what will completely remove the tar that the molasses has no effect on?

Howard Dennis

post-33891-14314220553_thumb.jpg

I have always had pretty good success spraying tar with W-D40 . seems to melt it right off. Hope it works for you.

I've had alot of luck with WD40 on cutting any heavy bodied grease or tar as well. Infact when I get grease on my hands tor tools that I can't get off with even tough hand cleaner. I hit it with a little WD 40 first and it comes right off.

For rust I know you mentioned Molasses. I have been using Evaporust on a bunch of rusty raw metal parts and can't believe how clean the parts come out in about 12-24 hours. It's under 20.00 a gallon with tax at autozone.

Thanks guys, I'll try all of these ideas. John, although I like your idea I think your wife must be more understanding than mine. If my wife finds that fan in the refrigerator, I'm sleeping in the garage forever!

Howard Dennis

And that's a BAD thing??

Thanks guys, I'll try all of these ideas. John, although I like your idea I think your wife must be more understanding than mine. If my wife finds that fan in the refrigerator, I'm sleeping in the garage forever!

Howard Dennis

Maybe she would prefer you run it thu the dishwasher

If you want a fun way to do it- buy a few cans of compressed air. (Like the kind nerds use to blow dust out of their computers) Secure the fan on the work bench so it won't move. Wear gloves and safety glasses. turn the can upside and spray one area of tar . It will freeze the tar to -58 F. Chip off the tar with a hammer and old wood chisel. This is a variation of heating a nut with a torch and then quick freezing the bolt. They come apart every time.

As Gomer used to say, Surprise, Surprise!

After dreading this tar scraping I find out that there is nothing under it but dry surface rust. Once I got the sharp wood chisel under the tar it just peeled right off like very old chewing gum and left almost no residue. Whole fan cleaned up in about half an hour. Now for another soak in the molasses to get rid of the newly exposed rust and it should be good as new.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions,

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142213371_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142213381_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)