ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

It is Sunday March 4th and it finally reached 41 degrees late this afternoon and needed some fresh air so headed over to the Special.

I brought that lens with me to see about changing it out and got a bit side tracked while there. Moving the Limited around I came across the fender skirts I had for the Special and had put them in the trunk which were now staring me in the face.

Tried one on the drivers side and it fits nicely but not sure if they are the look I want?

IMG_2736.thumb.JPG.697d7b320b47242561689586982516b7.JPG

Obviously some painting is needed and matching that red after all these year??

IMG_2739.thumb.JPG.01ba141101d41aade522a217d7b8bf3a.JPG

Meantime, went back to that tail light. I had backed into something in the garage years ago before the brakes went out on me and never addressed the issue. With a better lens cleaned up and in hand, it was time!

IMG_2734.thumb.JPG.246af213da3291f0bf5a940c1c7a08fc.JPG

Fortunately all the screws came loose and didn't strip the heads with the Phillips screw driver.

IMG_2735.thumb.JPG.00658adbae0131575b894b28ab2605c4.JPG

The reflector isn't in too bad of shape but the backup section will need a shot at cleaning and will have to see. I have extra reflectors on the shelf but will look later.

Part of the problem is the gasket was in rough shape (dried out and cracked) but will dig around and find the new after market ones I bought and replace them.

Decided to bring everything back home as it was getting late and deal with the cleanup and replacement there. The unit comes apart easily and with a bit of washing in the sink, presto.

IMG_2740.thumb.JPG.79332a4611f903bbc74e0bf98b3fb6de.JPG

New gaskets, six screws and back in business.

IMG_2741.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. Looking back I realised I had them on for a bit after I bought them some time ago and received mixed reaction then hence part of my hesitation now. 

5a9ec61d3b69d_1958BuickSpecial-HeritageVillage-Copy.thumb.jpg.5365dcfd8ce3e95d3b52613505d8055a.jpg

The black wall tires and not being painted surely didn't help so might try having them painted and see if that turns my crank.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GARY F said:

Just a question, why don't you have white walls on?

Hi Gary,

I should have posted the date on that picture of me in the car with the skirts on. That picture was shot at our Car Clubs Heritage Village back in about 1986 or so. 

With having owned the car since 1972 I ran bias ply tires back then and put a fair amount of miles on tires over those years so got to the point I would find used ones now and then. Guess I put blackwalls on because they were cheap? 

I replaced the WW radials I had on last August and they are a bit smaller (white wall wise) than the previous set but they were a good deal for five, mounted and balanced so...

Seeing a pattern here? :lol: 

This picture was the end of January this year on the one day we hit 50 degrees.

IMG_2596.thumb.JPG.cc6bdf642cbd53c5ccbf73812181ce0f.JPG

The very next day it was like this!:o

5a9fd87eb76a9_January292018-onedaylater.thumb.JPG.fc1fab9e517f5339fb459951f015ce44.JPG

It's Wednesday Mar 7, 2018

Looking back, Sunday evening my wife hooked up the three week old portable dishwasher after dinner and we settled down in the living room to watch a movie. The unit makes some noise going through the cycles so it ran for awhile till I heard my son come home. He says loudly that there is water on the kitchen flood guys! :o

Sure enough, water is coming out from under the sink and all over the place!

We shut the unit off and disconnected the feed hose from the tap but can hear water running under the sink... Seem the hot water plastic feed line had two cracks in it and was spraying all over the place! Reaching in to shut the water off was impossible due to the hot water so had to rush downstairs to the main shut off. Fine there but coming back up stairs I notice water was dripping through the finished ceiling tile onto the bar area and on books and thing on and near the bar....

By now it's late, Lowes is closed so shut the hot water tap under the sink off, moped up the mess both upstairs and down, turn the main back on and went to bed.

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.4f18bfdb2ddfcc015078a3f153b473be.JPG

Monday morning off to Lowes and purchased new stainless steel supply flex hoses and replaced the plastic garbage ones. :angry:

I'm no plumber but figured it to be not a big job... Crawling inside the cupboard on ones back, reaching up into the tight space between the sink and wall well... Might have been worth the cost to call a Plumber in hind sight but getting one around here on a emergency call (other than an Insurance Claim) is like looking for gold. You might get lucky and find some but more than likely you won't.

My day was shot and the Ben Gay helped once everything was back in order.

Move on to yesterday, 

After some unsuccessful estimating on work coming up I need some perking up so grabbed the tail light I had cleaned up and headed over to the Special. Fortunately it wasn't a long job to install but desperate enough to deal with the 34 degree temperature between hand warming in the truck.

IMG_2748.thumb.JPG.32b9b02d3a1f7e3cb908314965f64cf0.JPG

IMG_2749.thumb.JPG.b40b9d6566a407422cec0bfa6555a4f0.JPG

That was satisfying :) till I learned form my son that his wife backed into the tongue of the car trailer with her leased Chevy Cruise punching a hole through the back bumper on Saturday... :huh: Good Lord!

He was upset with her naturally as the estimate to fix is 2700 bucks. OK but lets look at the trailer, is there any damage? I don't think so... Well there is fluid on the ground right under the brake reservoir...

Guess we dodged a bullet with snow last night in that we have nothing while across the River some areas received 6-7 inches. That was OK with me but...

NEXT? :unsure: 

Just venting, thanks for listening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate the comment on the tail light sir! :)

Here is are the SS flexible supply lines since you asked. 

IMG_2743.thumb.JPG.76b3808f44dfb589d6c0788bf49eab6b.JPG

Looks simple enough right? 

Like I stated, Not A Plumber! :o After frustrating myself trying to tighten up the nuts in that tight space went back to Lowes and a department guy directed me to a plumbing wrench used for tight spaces. Fine, got back and it would have worked great if the darned shut offs and pipes were not in the way... Sheesh. At just about a quarter of a turn at a time I finally had it tight enough not to leak.

Felt much like having to remove a bolt on a car that just has to be turned with a wrench to the very last thread... only on your back partly in the cupboard reaching up and having to find that sweet spot with the wrench each 1/4 of a turn... I didn't realise how much blood I don't have in my arms anymore! 

IMG_2746.thumb.JPG.bb7f7df4681321ab2006c5b00f451ccb.JPG

As you can see there is some plaster repair that now that needs to be done but it has to dry out first.

Then I have to address the wet stained ceiling tiles downstairs at some point. 

All this trouble for a pair of stainless steel lines that cost a whole $16.00 total. 

OK, I like the W/Ws. are they 14 inch rims?  If so where did you get tires with the W/W. I am looking for four to put on my GP I just finished restoring. I am not looking at coker or those other companies like them.

Sorry Gary, all '58 Buick's are 15" and my new tires are not Coker either. 

I wish they were a bit wider like the ones I took off but at the price for the five at 800.00 CDN I can live with them for now. 

Here are the old ones. They were 1-7/8" wide and I liked that size even though they were smaller than the original 2-3/4" (I think).

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.82f24b9aff4f73fca76d4fc355633b36.JPG

Compared to the new ones today. They are only 1-1/4" but it is better to be new and safe than 20 years old and worried so can live with them.

IMG_2038.thumb.JPG.5321f5f0f7b82b7ac303c1a538784676.JPG

Wishing you good luck with hunting for 14" tires. Have you tried any Pontiac Clubs for their tire sources? I'm sure there must be someone out there that has them.

Do you have a thread on your car? I'd like to see it if you have posted some pictures. 

• Like 3

I put these on my Electra last year... very comfortable tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Mile-Matrix-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MZBU2CI

I think these Hankooks are the only other "off the shelf" tires you can get now with a white wall if you don't want Coker or Diamond Backs.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/hankook/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/15-in/sidewall-style/whitewall

Both my Buicks are 15-inch tires.  The Matrix tires were very cost effective.

Cheers,

Doug

• Thanks 1

I am running those Hankooks with a narrowish whitewall on my '69 Electra. I had a long search to find those, if there are other readily whitewalls of any description, I couldn't find them here in Toronto. I am quite happy with the Hankooks so far. I had a set of them on my '56 for over 15 years, the longest I'd ever run tires, and they were just showing a bit of minor cracking, the tread was still good, but I replaced them as I drive the car quite a bit, highway as well, and don't want to take chances. Those whitewalls were about the size Doug has on his '58, and I was happy with the look too.

Keith

I checked the link you posted on the Amazon / Matrix tire Doug and the first thing I noticed was that it states, "Does not ship to Canada".

That suggests the $89.00 per tire cost is payable in US funds and as I'm sure being in Vancouver, BC you are aware the exchange rate today is about 31 cents on the dollar to buy US. That pushes the tire to 120.00 CDN each before the 13% tax here in Ontario which then makes it 135.60 each without getting them here across the Border. Those guys have their own ideas about what they charge (Duty or otherwise) when importing auto parts etc. so even if I cross and return (which is now 16.00 round trip) to a pickup point in Michigan, gas etc. for the five tires I bought for 800 everything included and mounted, just seems a good deal. 

Now, if it is imperative my tires be the original WW size and bias look well, I'd just have to bite the bullet. Obviously right now it isn't and I just want to drive safely and with confidence.

Oh and because I have dealt with the owner for years for my business trucks and the wife's cars he threw the alignment in. Since I had replaced the necessary front end parts at the same time I bought the last set the front end was in good shape and didn't take very long. 

I do appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with tires as I have bias ply roller quality ones on the Limited for now but will be needing new ones for the road when she gets to that point. No sense getting them now and age on the rims at the pace I work... :wacko::P

• Like 1

Doug, yup I realized those links are for US websites, but figured it might be more useful to 90% of the people on the forum.  I bought the Matrix tires at my local tire shop here as they had them in stock.  Similarly with the Hankooks... I could get them from a local shop.  Tires in the US are definitely cheaper than up here, but I just wanted to show what I was able to find when shopping.  Around the same time, a buddy in Washington state with a 67 Wildcat bought the Hankooks and, at the time, they would have cost me $135 CAN a corner.  The Matrix's were slightly cheaper than that, and I got a slightly wider WW.

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know of a few guys that have driven over Doug and put tires on their car during a 48 hour visit and drove home thereby claiming the exemption allowed per person. Guess I could have done that planning it into the trip to the National last year but since the fuel pump died the week before, just wasn't in the cards. 

All part of the price living in a Border City. 

By the way, I have been to Seattle, Wa, Vancouver Island and Vancouver City many, many years ago. Need to go back again! BEAUTIFUL PART OF THE COUNTRIES! :)

Now that would be some 'Road Trip' in the Special, top down on a summer day cruising through the open Prairies with the Rocky Mountains looming closer by the mile and then pulling up to the Hotel at Lake Louis in the heart of the Canadian Rockies...  :D

Time for another coffee possibly with some Bailey' and ponder the possibilities...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dei said:

Now that would be some 'Road Trip' in the Special, top down on a summer day cruising through the open Prairies with the Rocky Mountains looming closer by the mile and then pulling up to the Hotel at Lake Louis in the heart of the Canadian Rockies...  :D

Then we'd have to modify our driving challenge to 4,500 miles.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Then we'd have to modify our driving challenge to 4,500 miles.  :ph34r:

No fear of that this year John! :lol:

Obviously I have a bit too much time on my hands right now to be dreaming up something like that although... :unsure:  

• Haha 1

On 2018-03-09 at 6:24 AM, dei said:

Time for another coffee possibly with some Bailey' and ponder the possibilities...

I’ll be making that trip from the west coast in 2 weeks!  Won’t be taking the convertible though, it’s a bit too early in the season to be driving those cars through the Coquilhalla summit or Rogers Pass. Traffic cams from this morning and lots of sand and gravel on the roads due to all the snow they get. 

1011DCCA-3AF0-4E4E-B0E0-D3845E02E760.jpeg

19D13601-F97B-4AAA-8C60-ECFC8B086297.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Beemon said:

Doug, when was the last time you've been to Seattle? Wouldn't exactly call it beautiful, more like cesspool these days. 

Well Ben you'll get a laugh with the answer... I was there loooong before you were born. :lol:

It was a family trip in a 1959 Oldsmobile 98 in 1969. 

I do remember catching the Ferry to go over to Victoria on Vancouver Island and seemed to be a  somewhat industrial looking area but I loved the water and boating back then and with the long ocean swells gently rocking the large Ferry, feels like yesterday.:)

• Haha 1

Went over to get the Special today as it was sunny and in the upper 30's.

after adding a quart of oil, adding a pint of transmission fluid and topping up the power steering unit off I went to top off the tank with high test.

While there a gentleman came over and said he liked the car. Then he asked what my plans were to restore her? 

I love to see peoples reactions after that question when I say that I have owned it since High School and guess I'm a bit behind with that.:lol:

Went for a ride and blew a few cob webs out before heading home as I wanted to pull the Limited out again.

This time I used the Special and the rope.

IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.02e3dd3187dc4e9edb0ba6ddb50128f0.JPG

This is the first time these two have been together in a looong time!

Once the Limited was out far enough to have room to get things out (that truck seat especially) without scratching the car, I found the right rear tire was almost flat. Will have to see how these tires hold up for rollers...

IMG_2782.thumb.JPG.c271e1339996b1ea3fb10e71d9d1edce.JPG 

With a 5:15 dinner engagement looming I worked quickly to sort through what was junk and what to save and with pumped up tires was able to push the Limited back into place fairly easily.

IMG_2784.thumb.JPG.7bbba1c1c0eabff9aaaeccb5bc4f9fc2.JPG

Accomplishing this has gained me about three and a half more feet at the front.

NEXT - need to clean off that mess from the hood up on the roof.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Didn't get the Special back to her garage before dinner and planned on going back afterwards but... I just parked it in the wife's spot for the night since the forecast was to be dry again for most of Monday.

IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.29447580e43173ec58f99390a2188019.JPG

I didn't mention I tried to put the other fender skirt on the passenger side before coming home yesterday and had difficulty getting it to fit right so left it off as the mission was to get the clean up going. 

I remember now why they have been hanging in the garage all this time.

During my driving home I could hear and feel the drivers side rubbing against the tire so took it easy. Seems with the radial profile, the bit of body movement with coil springs and the metal lip on the skirt there just isn't enough clearance. 

Looking at that I might be able to cut the lip back enough but don't want to weaken the metal to allow them to fall off or bend while putting them on. Needs to have more thought before I do anything. Beside, I don't need to waste precious time any more. Times a goin' by...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dei said:

OH NO John, that is against my Religion! LOL

2 hours ago, dei said:

Next time tell em: If it ever needs to be restored, you might sell it. 

The key word in the sentence is:  If   Add emphasis while practicing saying it in front of the mirror. :lol:

• Like 1

You are too kind John. :D

I don't fool myself that the car is in excellent condition. There is lot's that should be done but as it is she will now get me to where I want to go and get me back so just enjoying the rides.

• Like 1

I learned a valuable lesson today.

After driving the Special back to the garage before the predicted snow showers, Came home and received a call from my wife.

I saw her go out this morning with a bag to be placed in the garbage can and then drive off to work. Guess she noticed the fender I had moved to get the Limited out and in my haste to get things packed up forgot to put it back inside the garage.

IMG_2786.thumb.JPG.bff6f4bdc51d4d5d2b5d0375600efa02.JPG

She thought it was some scrap metal I was holding onto and didn't want it laying around...:o

Lesson: Keep important items out of sight locked up or it might just disappear on you. 

After work today decided I had better move on that fender lying about before I get told again that it might end out on the road for the junk collectors. :mellow:

First I went out back of the garage and brought up the fender I had taken off the parts car to see whether it was going to be any good for patches and take off the stainless trim.

IMG_2789.thumb.JPG.cb05112063c3784c440da3afcc115e3f.JPG

I need to save those rocker moulding clips as I'm not sure where I'd get new ones.

IMG_2795.thumb.JPG.197e387d88bcc4c28ade823b910d8d9f.JPG

Unfortunately the wheel opening stainless is broken. I have a few others that are broken in the same place. It cleaned up nicely with some metal polish and a rag. Not sure it it can be welded back together or maybe just put a metal sleeve in it and bolt back on... Will ask around.

The long side moulding came off nicely and cleaned up beautifully. 

IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.7579a4307dfdca4253a80550eaeca624.JPG

Was able to tuck things inside for now before the wife came home and will see if I need to salvage some of the old fender or do work on the one in prime later.

Meantime a possible road trip in the Special is to be confirmed in the morning. :)

Thanks Adam, I have what is left of the clips in a freezer bag for comparison and will look into Cars for new ones.

I remember seeing when you put the Limited back together to ship Oversees but can't say I noticed the wheel mouldings were broken too. Must be a common fault of that trim just like the eyebrow mouldings.

Have you heard from the fellow you sold it to and see what he has done with finishing it?

Heading out soon to get the Special as it has warmed up to 48 with the promise to hit 53!

Had a thought concerning oil changes.

I changed oil last year right after finishing the brakes and have as stated put on 1,075 miles on that oil change.

I usually change it after 1,800 to 2,000 miles so while not quite there yet, being it has been a full year, should I change it now or wait till I reach the mileage point or do you think it matters.

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

1,800 to 2,000 miles if you do a lot of idling and short trips less than 10 miles.  Road trips oil and filter at 3,000 to 5,000 miles.  That car probably uses 7 quarts and with that massive filter it could probably go more.

THANKS! 

Think I will wait till I hit the 2000 mile mark as there were more than a few 60 - 70 mile trips last year. Will keep an eye on the colour of the oil too as I think I have guides or rings that are showing signs of age. The tail pipe is a bit dirty but she does not blow black smoke... 

However, the more it is out on the open road, the smoother she gets (or is it me getting used to it again?). 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With a possible road trip soon I thought I'd better renew the Plate sticker today so gathered the paperwork and went to the Ministry Office.

The lady asked for all the paperwork and then asked for the Emissions Test papers not realising, until she looked at the year, the Special was exempt from that. 

Process was good and the ensuing conversation was fun.

Guess the office naturally deals with modern renewals right, but she had lots of fun questions.

She just about fell off her stool when I said I bought it when I was in High school!!! :lol: 

That was fun. B)

• Like 2