ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

This Mother's Day weekend is starting off badly with an all day rain Friday and promising to continue till Sunday...

Thunder Storms started about 9 Pm Friday and the electricity flashed off and on with one BIG thunderclap!

Decided to bring the camera to the side door and WOW!

You know it was close when you feel the hair on the back of your neck react! :o

No top down driving with the Special this weekend...

Edited by dei (see edit history)

This is the main drain for much of the south end of the City just one block from the Special.

IMG_3013.JPG.acb230bea5c55d8fe239d46ff10a2883.JPG

Late yesterday the water was above those inspection covers so it is coming down but last year with the 2nd of "storms of the Century" rainfalls, the water was just about at the top of the concrete for a day and a half and much of the area flooded basements with storm and sanitary sewer water.

Can't wait for this years major storm.  

An hour from Doug's house in Kent County a farmer I asked told me received 6.5 inches of rain Saturday.  The most rainfall he has ever seen.  I have a storm catch basin in my driveway, it measures 4' wide 4 ' long and 6' deep and it was full of rainwater to the top, glad I live 8 miles from the nearest river or lake.  Today, Sunday, the sun back.

Regards, Gary

This sure was one big front stretching from Chicago to here and moved east to you area and beyond so know I was not alone.

Let's hope it gets out of it's system before the Chatham Show! Are you going?

With the lousy weather this past week decided to close the work week by throwing the weed whackers in the back seat and driving the Special to a job at the end of the day.

After all it is Friday (and that is my excuse).

IMG_3056.JPG.3d55430d62af5b3c6e5a13c1e550d3e3.JPG

• Like 1

With this past weekend weather not good enough to enjoy a ride, took the evening off today to get that open air feeling again!

Went to the Wednesday night Cruise-In and when pulling in noticed this green Dodge with a spot open beside it. Just had to park beside her as it looked along the condition of mine, not restored to show, appearing original and sure enough, it was a 1958!

IMG_3084.JPG.5b204429e8347247940571092fb17578.JPG

We drew a bit of a crowd after a bit and when he opened his hood, sure enough it has it's original flathead six with standard steering and standard brakes.

I thought it was interesting to see the two side by side to get a perspective on the styling differences.

Had a good conversation with the owner and appears he is keeping it the way it is and just enjoy it. I like that!

This is my first time out to this weekly Cruise-In on Wednesday nights and is on the opposite end of the City which brings in cars from out in the county some nights.

I looked at this '40 Ford car with it's hood open and was stopped in my tracks to see the motor!

IMG_3085.JPG.ea9fb45ae13b5deebb76d15ae57e2e72.JPG

It sure is a tight fit in there but it works! Nice to see something besides a... (you know what).

He has it bolted to a 5 speed stick which I believe he said was a Tremic? 

Not familiar with them but says it moves the car along JUST FINE!

The weather held and I left by 8:30 taking the city streets (not the expressway) getting a few thumbs up from what was a surprisingly busy night.

Good to make this evening run and be sure it is running well for this weekend. Planning to go to an all day car show 60 miles away with a few guys. Forecast is mixed with 30% chance of rain but if the top has to go up, so be it!

I just have to put more RainX on the windshield as the vacuum wipers are way to slow to be of much use... (always something)

• Like 2

After three looong days and having to work Sunday (if it doesn't rain...) Decided to close shop about 4:30 and fire up the Special.

Saturday there is an all day Car Show in Chatham, Ontario which will be about 60 miles one way and needed to check things before our early morning 6:30 departure. 

On the way home fuelled up with premium for the highway drive at 1.552 per L at a cost of 49.50 cdn.

IMG_3087.JPG.e157623732d841f12e9642dd8d003893.JPG

Naturally forgot to put chairs in the trunk so made the obligatory evening run back to the garage.

My wife is coming since another wife is going her husband too.

Of course it helps that parking is down town and the stores are open so life will be good for all...

IMG_3089.JPG.e26a5604a4f2ed5e9a32082879054194.JPG

• Like 1

With great anticipation I was up early Saturday morning to gather up a few things (wife included) to fire up the Special to meet up with a few others and head to the Car Show in Chatham some 60 miles away. 

The meet was at a coffee shop 5 miles up the road and when all there we headed on another 25 miles to meet the rest.

All went well cruising around 60 miles per hour with the top down (and the heat on for the wife) as it was only 7:30 in the morning.

This is a free show with attendance around 400 so getting there early ensured we could pick a spot together. Made a good display by chance pulling in with the white cars in between the red ones.

1651761984_IMG_3092_Easy-Resize.com(1).jpg.5a22e33a7a8b3b659778fd02c7cc6e11.jpg

Having watched the forecast all week changing for storms to light rain to possible showers and waking up to partly sunny skies and leaving the top down (PHEW) was happy the trip was clear and uneventful!

However..

After registering and placing place cards in the cars doesn't it start to sprinkle ever so lightly... 

The girls said they were going to the restaurant for breakfast and we all put the tops up (just in case) saying we would be right there. I finished first and needed to address a nature call so headed down the main road until I came upon this.

IMG_3093_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.8086f182e786e198c3b7303700bdabdf.jpg

There was no one around but the engine and transmission are original and the interior was completely done very close to factory but he had upgraded the brakes to disc and the obvious dual master cylinder with power brake booster.

For 4 door sedan thought it was well.. pretty Special.. (groan)

Moving on towards the restaurant I then come upon this.

IMG_3098_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.80637302fa277266ba7c995bb00bd68b.jpg

Tony had contacted me last fall about a gas tank and we have been keeping in touch since. He mentioned he would be attending this show so it was my plan to drive the Special and share the day.

This 1958 Buick Limited has been repainted and both the engine and transmission have been rebuilt and the factory air condition was charged up but the interior is factory original. He was not sure when the plastic seat covers were put on. 

IMG_3132_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7de0b7e2da8fdb9cf89844a8611eba26.jpg

Needles to say I was thrilled that the show had three '58's at one show! Other than a few Notionals I have been at have I seen more the two at anything around here.

The trunk on even the four door is still massive.

IMG_3102_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.8f7d71742b21e1cd9527e9590db28c01.jpg

And you have to love that rear quarter side view!

IMG_3103_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.70d01e3c99be00a6fc5895532f2e9354.jpg

Well... breakfast? Finally realised I had missed a text from my wife asking if i wanted a takeout sandwich and would meet me at our car...

By then the light rain had quit (I really hadn't noticed it - hahaha) and defiantly started to put the top down. Soon the rest followed.

IMG_3136_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.24c94c2ce18fd23d6b247e9ebf5033f9.jpg

We all decided to go investigate the rest of the show cars and for a small town there are lots of antique cars mixed of course with the usual street rods and such but more than enough original and restored cars to please anyone's appetite. After all this is the home of RM Restorations and well known for RM Auctions.

So...

One of the cars was this beautiful Buick.

IMG_3110_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.97945e491f5f8b6cd40ead1c146ce8c4.jpg

And notice the T's behind it?

Further up the next block was this. I'm sure you will recognise what car it belongs to.

IMG_3122_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c2b91a1da81aedbbeafdd275721d4c87.jpg

Didn't read the place card but possibly one from RM?

IMG_3121_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7043f99a45bca5870ce211dc7526af28.jpg

Not only is it a beautiful sedan but a formal Limo.

IMG_3123_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.99b2da33e87bc1d7a25553f16e4bd1fc.jpg

There were many more I took pictures of but my thread is about the 58's and posted these because they were just beautiful. Managed to work my way back to Tony and Susan's Limited and spent another hour about our cars and plans for them. They are four hours from my home so will keep in touch via email for now and hope to meet up again at one of the many summer shows.

After the 50/50 draw was drawn most cars started to leave as it now was 4:15. Dinner was suggested and someone recommended an Italian Restaurant named what else? Mario's.

It was a good choice and bellies full fuelled up and headed for home once again, top down.

My old girl (car that is, said lovingly) performed very well! 

Total round trip 128.6 miles.

There is another major show in London next Saturday but a two hour drive one way and 130 miles.

Have to think about that for a bit as the others are committed to other things so going alone well... little steps for now I guess.

• Like 3

I hear you on those long trips by yourself Dei.  But the few I have ventured on have been really pleasant.  I love to be with my wife and or the rest of the gang, but when you only have to think about yourself,  it's possible to have a great trip. 

• Like 1

Hey Doug, how far away is Kitchener/Waterloo from you?  Both my boys (twins) are accepted in to the Engineering Department at the University of Waterloo, so we'll be travelling there at the end of August for a week or so to get them settled in their new residences.  Not sure if I'll have time to visit any car shows, but it would be good to have options?  We'll be in Toronto from the 25th to the 4th, with a stint in Waterloo from the 31st to the 2nd.   

• Like 1

I'm with you there John, going down the road less travelled.

I'm also feeling that the Special will make it there and back with gentle persuasion staying off the major highway.

Just heard my wife say she doesn't want to go if there is no shopping close by (not that she is a spendthrift at all) just not into the cars like me and the boys.

This car show is a charity fund raiser and is held on the property of Mr. Steve Plunkett. 

If you check out the website for the event you will read that last year there were 4,500 show cars on display and the money raised to date has hit 1,532,000.00.

http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/

I really want to go as he owns the sister Special to mine only it is yellow with a white interior and '53 chrome wire wheels. He calls it his driver not a show car.

Shoot, I aspire to have a driver of this calibre!

He also has a Caballero wagon that is definitely "Show Grade" and would love to see his face when I rolled up....

Weather would deter the trip but... giving it some serious thought.

11 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Hey Doug, how far away is Kitchener/Waterloo from you?  Both my boys (twins) are accepted in to the Engineering Department at the University of Waterloo, so we'll be travelling there at the end of August for a week or so to get them settled in their new residences.  Not sure if I'll have time to visit any car shows, but it would be good to have options?  We'll be in Toronto from the 25th to the 4th, with a stint in Waterloo from the 31st to the 2nd.   

First off, congrats to your boys on attending the University! It is one of the finer University's regarding Engineering and is big on Co-Op programs, school for a semester or two and one semester work experience in their field. The benefit is a paying job helping out with some costs and the experience looks great on a resume after graduation hopefully aiding in finding a job. 

I wish them all the best!

Man, three quarters of the Country away from home and on their own... Oh to be young again!

As to distance, Google maps show me three hours due west from the University and Toronto is 1 to 1 1/2 hours further east of the U depending on traffic. 

Round trip for either of us would make for a long day in one shot, but with my wife just putting in for retirement, will keep in mind a possible destination celebration down the road. 

You might reach out to Buicknutty as to events since he is Toronto way. Knowing TO is a BIG city like Vancouver he would be more in the know of things in that region than me.

No matter what happens you will be busy with the boys and getting set up. 

As stated, will keep your time line in mind and lets see what transpires.

Thanks Doug.  Wow, didn't realize you were that far away, but Ontario is a big (the biggest) Province.  I'm not sure how much time we'll have anyway as we'll be staying with my wife's family while in Toronto, but I like to check to see what's going on! 

The boys were quite excited to get into Waterloo, as you say it is the top Engineering school in Canada by most standards.  They are in the Co-op program and I'm hoping they can start paying some of their own way after their first co-op term... sending both at once is a bit hard on the old pocket book!  (I could fully restore both Buicks for what it's costing in first year!... I try not to think about it...).  They did get into UBC here locally, but decided they wanted to get out of town. That was particularly hard given the bus that stops almost directly in front of my house goes right to UBC directly!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yup, she is a big Province for sure...

Down my way here in Windsor it is flat as a pancake till just before Kitchener but even with the rolling hills there it will not equal what you have in BC as to topography.

I have been to Vancouver and Vancouver Island way back as a young teen with my parents and sisters and took the upper Trans Canada Highway across Canada to home. Fantastic to see the Rockies and then when going into the Prairies watch them fade behind you... 

If you have time go and see the Steam train in St. Jacobs. I believe it comes into Kitchener and goes back or visa versa. The engine No 9 has a history with Windsor in that is was taken off the tracks at some point in time and the boiler was used to power a factory (if I am correct). It was a switcher on our Essex Terminal RR which is still in existence. I have not been to see it for awhile and hear they have built a full service Engine House for maintenance and storage.

St. Jacobs is a great little Amish community and has a huge Market on the weekends. The food is really great!

Then there is the Grand River for the boys. If they like canoeing or kayaking there are places to rent them and trails for hiking or biking.

There is also an old quarry that is a Park right along the River with a beautiful sand beach to enjoy those last days of summer.

I know it's early but keep us posted on your visit and the boys adventures.

• Thanks 1

Well,

Nothing major to post other than checked my thread this morning before out to work and noticed the views have hit 58,000.

Just think it is somewhat a significant number having "58" in it....

Thanks to those of you checking in. :)

• Like 3

So the stars have aligned and decision to do the road trip to London is finalised.

More importantly, I received the stamp of approval from Headquarters! LOL ?

Waiting on a call from a friend to see if he will join me in my car or drive his Cadillac but as of yesterday wasn't sure he could make it as early as I'm going to go.

With it being a two hour drive I want to be there before 7 am and expect a long line up to get in but figure arriving later in the morning, have heard it can be up to a three hour wait...

Filled her up in anticipation and only put 25.50 of high test in. It looks like she did better coming home from the Chatham show than going as I had to put in 33.00 before leaving Chatham. 

Makes sense as it seems run better after a highway run and the stretch at 65 for awhile must have blown the grud from City driving out of her.

Will check the usual things in the trunk to have if on the side of the road and have Haggerty's number in my phone (just in case...). 

I'd leave now if I could!

• Haha 1

Hey Doug;  See you there.  My Buick is down for repairs waiting for parts from California.  Catching a ride with a local guy you know, Len, in his limousine at 7:00.   Only my 2nd time at Country Cruise.  Gary

• Like 1

That's Great Gary! :)

If it is I the Limo and the Len I think it is I'll be sure to look you two up!

Too bad to hear your Buick is down as I think I know that car too and would have been good to see it again.

The weather looks in our favour tomorrow so hoping for a top down drive there and back.

Should be a good day. ?

• Like 2

The day began early Saturday and it was with great anticipation I opened the garage door by 4:35 AM to fire up the Special.

IMG_3151_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.60fed52ff506619357813a12ba0c7ff1.jpg

First order of the day was to stop at the Coffee Shop to get a HOT coffee and carrot muffin as it was only 58 degrees out and the top WAS NOT GOING UP!

IMG_3152_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.ede91cb89b42c978dc59ddbd3b989894.jpg

My buddies all had commitments so going solo meant dealing with things by myself this trip. Fortunately there was little traffic at this hour and with no troubles with the car planned on being there around opening time 7 AM. 

Now, made one mistake (other than leaving the top down...) finding coffee these days is only good for so many miles before the mandatory pit stop! No problem as there was a McDonald's 40 minutes up the road right? Hmmm... Even with the heater on full blast, that fresh air blowing around the steering wheel left the old hands quite chilled!! Thank heavens for those electric instant heat hand dryers man! ?

Ordered a small HOT chocolate, rolled all the windows up and proceed my way. That top was NOT going to go up if I had my way today!

I used a secondary road known as Hwy#2 which would normally take me within three miles of my destination but there was a Detour about 20 miles before getting there.

It was clearly marked and I had never been in that area so took it easy and enjoyed the new scenery.

It directed me through the small town of Appin and noticed a Gas Station at the light so stopped to fill up just to be safe. Right across the road was a Tim Horton's coffee shop and with the sun up figured it was safe to go the 15 miles or so into the show.

There were plenty of CAR SHOW signs and soon came the back way to Mr. Plunkett's front entrance to his car show right at his house.

IMG_3154_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.b29dd847e9f5b359968bf1d11e6d1042.jpg

Since I had used the back way there by chance, it was clear that it had been a good choice as traffic was backed up some two miles coming in the other way...

I soon was directed along with others to park in one of the two horse areas and soon shed the jacket as the sun was doing it's best to warm things up.

IMG_3156_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.8b90f63c023139871522437bf063e19b.jpg 

I've mentioned Steve is a dedicated Cadillac collector to which he has built what he calls his Cadillac Salon which he built in the style of the New York Salons that featured / showed new cars in the 30's. I have been there once before and it houses some very special cars most of which are the V16's let alone some very special models. 

IMG_3169_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.2de74d6bd57b584d497d58ac0faf14f6.jpg

One has to see it to grasp the style and attention to detail!

Outside on the right were several celebrities including one Gene Winfield who was demonstrating some interesting panel work.

I heard him being introduced as being the worlds oldest teenager!

Inside they had moved out a few of the Cadillacs normally parked there and was surprised to see this Buick being honoured there.

IMG_3163_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.2b28371fe17a2654cc5ea4eb4b4dc350.jpg

I did not read the placard to know about it but you can be sure it is of some significant to be there.

And being the Cadillac man he is, what kind of personal golf cart do you think he has?

IMG_3171_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7ec2ffbfd20ea6220c1352cc8d5ca823.jpg

Obviously a show of this size has just about everything you could want to see but for now will focus on the Buick's I took note of.

In no particular order:

IMG_3176_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.53f43772a1f3d1e123ef1557f5ee783c.jpg

IMG_3178_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.71c677e853da17256b8526f637090d18.jpg

IMG_3184_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.3cb5e63b9913a90a6d63c8ca25e2e3e8.jpg

And there was Tony's '58 Limited who I met last weekend parked with a group of his friends today.

We had another good conversation in between the people ogling over it.

IMG_3201_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7c8987eaf8bf83d84ce5204bdbd3c894.jpg

Not departing from the Buick theme here but I had to go up the to owner of this Whippet truck and ask to shake his hand. See, what started out as a 1927 Whippet 2 door sedan was transformed to this pickup but... look what is powering it!

IMG_3211_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.9301f6bcb6a1ec7c87c9a8a5ed58f915.jpg

That's NOT the usual motor of choice! And notice the valve covers? It doesn't say Buick on them either.

He was quite taken aback when I explained I recognised the conversion, all about Whippets and the fact I liked his choice of motor.

So much to see, so little time and walked, walked, walked...

Lunch was a pulled pork sandwich with fresh cole slaw and have to say that one could actually buy a bottle of water for a buck vs. the usual two or three at most shows.

Thanks Steve for being a car guy and making this reasonable for all.

Soon the 50/50 draw was to be announced meaning that immediately following most would be heading out. I walked back to my car and watched as I was on the exit path. It didn't take long for most of the cars around me left me by myself but with cars all over the 108 acres it was a nice time to watch as they left too.

IMG_3216_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.cf885bc306a16a84f5a4432ff8f88c8c.jpg

Finally decided it was time to head out and started her up. As soon as I put it in gear, it stalled!

OH OH! Gave it a pump or two, hit the starter and just would not fire!

I had a small bottle of gas with me (just in case) and tried and tried till my four year old battery was almost drained. With having run out of gas decided to go up to the main house to see if there might be a chance to get some from Steve's staff.

It just so happened as I was there looking around Steve himself came out of one of his attached garage doors. 

He is such a great man! listening to my woes and pointing out it was my '58 Buick he immediately said he had noticed it when I came in that morning! He told me he could give me some gas so come on in the garage.

Well, look what was sitting there for me to see!

IMG_3212_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.4565b4593f6fc8cf880c0f181355fe63.jpg

And he has said before he calls it his driver! Would you call that a driver???

IMG_3214_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.f663e6ccaf325b57920fbbf51b5ef8b5.jpg

I thanked him profusely and he joked after saying Good Luck that if he saw me there in the morning when he lets the horses out he would know I was unsuccessful. LOL

On that way back I saw a small group and asked if by chance they would give me a boost as I had cables? So after some efforts the car fired up and idled for a bit and again thanking these guys, head off for home.

Went back towards the way I came in and at the intersection the Police were directing traffic as it is a rural road and directed me to go left. I explained I was going to Windsor and wanted to use the Detour route I came in on but... Uniform trumps requests and obeyed.

Sure enough it directed me to the 401 Highway which I didn't want to use if the Special acted up again but not being familiar with the side roads, just got on and white knuckled the wheel trying to keep up at the posted 100 km max posted for the next two hours. 

Funny thing about that. After about 10 miles with the wind and traffic noise (as traffic sped on past me - no one drives the posted max right?) one gets into the rhythm of things and with no notice of fuel starving held at the 100 kms waving at the many honks and thumbs up from the passing traffic. 

Fortunately in this case there were stretches of construction to slow to the a single lane pace of 80 kms which felt better to me. 

I'm pretty sure though that any carbon built up from last years City driving is now blown out! :lol:

IMG_3220_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.a2ea36ed5d475446746050f89a9ae828.jpg

Things went like this till Tilbury (45 minutes from home) and got off the Highway to refuel (just in case). Drove fine and caught the only light red in town with the gas station across the road and... she stalled. 

Called a friend who lives just on the outskirts but was not in town at home. He called me back shortly and said his EX would be there to give me a boost and we got the car going again.

Thanks Lori!

How many EX's would do that???

Got back on Highway #2 and at the very last block from the garage.... she stalled!!! 

Managed to get her going again alone this time and with remote door opener in hand, pulled in to park for the night.

Get this! I let it idle while I lifted the hood to see if gas was not filling the clear fuel filter and it could have sat there and ran like that all night!!!!!

IMG_3221_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.ced40226983e92a181bc42a4efd4f81e.jpg

I had replaced a section of the fuel line up front and will check the clamps but suspect somewhere at the back there is air getting in and the fuel pump has a hard time pumping back up since it was new last summer. Will see.

Final synopsis,

I can stroke this show / event off my Bucket list. Overall it was a great day all things considered and the moments out on the open road I just can't put the feelings into words.

I had to deal with things alone working on the Limited too at times back in the day and while not ideal in a perfect world, all part of owning what is now an old antique car. 

IMG_3215.JPG

• Like 4

The week has been busy enough so far that the Special is going to sit for awhile.

Tomorrow I'm on a road trip to pick up my rebuild transmission which has been at Jim's all this time. (I did tell him no rush...)

Interesting day today though as I had stopped into a body shop about my work truck and the conversation came around to a Buick one of the workers noticed across town at a transmission shop. Not many '58 Buick's in town so went and searched it out.

Sure enough, there it was.

IMG_3226_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.41f97a5716276c15258787a0c8ef11d6.jpg

This is one nice car! It looks to have been painted but the interior is all original. Even the dash padding is very nice and not sagging.

The Shop owner said it came in from the States and he was going to do the transmission rebuild / reseal. The owner of the car had a complete rebuild kit which looked new not NOS? I did not get his name but told the shop owner I'd be around with mine to watch the progress.

Love the Dealer Tag on the trunk. Anyone recognise it?

IMG_3229_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.b9abc77d4fc7098ed45a7970b832818e.jpg

The odometer reads 44,000 miles so it is likely a low mileage car.

IMG_3230_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.e2ec4717fb368186d14d8545002a0807.jpg

This is the first '58 I have seen in town for something like 40 years.

Left for Toledo (Perrysburg) Ohio this morning and immediately after crossing the Bridge realised I-75 was under construction going south bound and would have to deal with the Detours putting me way behind schedule.

Finally after 35 minutes of slow heavy travel hit the end of it and found the open road. One has to go by the Monroe Nuclear Generation Plant on the western end of Lake Erie. Today the steam off those two towers were just hanging there.

IMG_3231_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c729c5523e856acbc07ddef5f9f58cfb.jpg

I arrived at Jim's shop after lunch and immediately saw my transmission on end waiting for the universal I had brought with me from one of my other transmissions.

Jim dunked it is some gasoline and discovered that he was not happy with it's condition so reached into his stash of parts and showed me what a good one was supposed to be.

Decided to make notes as I watched him put the joint on the transmission and then the torque ball seal as he talked about various hints to install and protect the drive shaft seal when installing that etc.

Jim is a great guy and knows dynaflow's intimately. It's well worth the cost and effort to have him rebuild one!

Once loaded in the bed of my truck I had to say good bye as I had an event at 7 pm.

Didn't waste any time and coming into Detroit I started to cross the Bridge for home. I came around the curve and right away noticed the trucks in the right lane slowing way down on the uphill climb.

There are four lanes on this bridge and at 4 o'clock they had markers out closing one of the on coming lanes to Detroit making three lanes going into Canada. Both truck lanes were stopped almost 3/4 across to Detroit and the cars were slow moving at the very top of the bridge.

Man is it tight up there!

IMG_3232_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.9ba548f6b19c985f19d72abb63b61c9a.jpg

Once over the top I had time in the slow traffic to take this shot.

IMG_3234_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.cecb9a253b8e53c2c61909c97d2c01e6.jpg

Not my first time on this thing but it is a suspension bridge and you know it is when the trucks move over those expansion cracks as your vehicle actually feels the spring in those cables! 

Remember this was build in the 30's and I know it has a full time maintenance crew/company but... not an easy feeling at times.

Can you believe they used to allow paying people to walk on this?

Fortunately home before my wife with time to cleanup for the event later.

I'm extremely pleased with the appearance of my unit and sure it will perform as new due to Jim's expertise.

IMG_3238_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.517a4c41c5f5b852a0e76fa83a0659f3.jpg 

Now,

Have to decide if I take the next step and bolt it in place suspending it while I take a few years to rebuild the motor or...

Store it on a dolly off to the side and then put everything in as one unit???

• Like 3

On 5/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, dei said:

This is my first time out to this weekly Cruise-In on Wednesday nights and is on the opposite end of the City which brings in cars from out in the county some nights.

I looked at this '40 Ford car with it's hood open and was stopped in my tracks to see the motor!

IMG_3085.JPG.ea9fb45ae13b5deebb76d15ae57e2e72.JPG

Nothing makes a Ford run like a BUICK. 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Decided to store the transmission on a dolly for now but getting it off the truck was a problem as my engine lift was buried behind a lot of stuff and I needed to use my truck asap.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

IMG_3240_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.d1dbf2b066450d74c564bdd96558834c.jpg 

Now, this thing is heavy and had some concern about it running away from me down those ramps so grabbed some rope using the rack as a leverage point.

IMG_3241_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.b108b932ab33f9cfbb7d1f9cb5754ad2.jpg

Once centred, lowering it down was easy.

IMG_3242_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.a48df23ea8ed776678c4657c24d3ddc0.jpg

There is great comfort in knowing I have a rebuilt unit ready to go in my car when I'm ready for it.

One step closer with that bucket list...

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 8:28 PM, dei said:

while I take a few years to rebuild the motor 

..or maybe throw you computer and camera away.:D

4 hours ago, dei said:

I have a rebuilt unit ready to go in my car when I'm ready for it.

...the warranty will expire before you are ready,,,:o

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Not to echo  Old Tank, but do you really have to rebuild the motor Dei?  After all, it is a Buick!

With the motor having been taken apart to free it up sitting open for many years maybe rebuild is the wrong term?

The block has been on an engine stand covered but with the crank and cam and distributor still in it with pistons and rods removed so would one just clean things up and reassemble it or go the mile and do a rebuild since it is this far?

That and painting the front clip of the Limited are what is holding up that project (if you will). 

It is about time and money as well and life priorities seem to have always been in play...

Basically what I believe too John.

I have found a place that will redo the heads for what is in my budget which will move me another step forward.

I used to say "getting there is half the fun". Some days it's difficult to see that fun... 

• 2 weeks later...

Trust everyone had a good Father's Day.

Mine started out with a long coffee to wake up and decided to finally get the fuel line for the Special. It was a bit cheaper by the 25 ft roll and with two more cars to someday get going thought why not have it on hand.

IMG_3257_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.36804d0ea8dceddafd17b0ec39815c83.jpg

At 11 a.m. it was hitting 92 degrees and wanted to trim some bushes that were going wild so pulled out the extension cords and worked at the ones that were in the shade till I had enough!

the forecast was to be hitting 100 with the real feel to be 110... very unusual around here!

420705706_Rankin-June172018-trimming_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.84bc1984f5f2c30487e47ba11e295436.jpg

Packed up and after a short visit to a friend headed home just in time to see my sons backing into my driveway and unloading a big box.

Seems they had hoped I would be away longer as they had bought me a new stainless steel BBQ which needed to be put together.

One of the benefits of having children... LOL!

Clearly my wife was in on this and she was right there supervising.

IMG_3264_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.ce45cc8ea53c8ba519f0c3a44c583981.jpg

(Now, if I could just get that concentrate an effort on the Limited...)

A GREAT FATHERS DAY!

• Like 7

Glad it was good for you too Keith!

I LOVE to BBQ so they all hit me where I live this year!!

I did see you got the '56 Home and boy she sure looks good in the new garage! Must be satisfying to have the collection together in one place. All running is even more rewarding. 

I'll get there one day. Planning on bringing out my '89 Cougar before the long weekend and fixing the power window lift before I put her up for sale. Then with that money will possibly have the Limited motor gone over...

Meantime,

Hope you are getting the relief we had today from that 96 degree heat these past few days!

Upper 70's with reduced humidity brings on a new sense of energy!

• Like 1

Here's a few pictures of the cruise. A '32 Ford hotrod that has a 401 nailhaed and looks like Buick finned aluminum brake drums. My '41 Roadmaster with my friend's '41 Special, perhaps for the last time! As I'm hoping to move the '41 this weekend. Finally, a sharp looking Cuda, gold with white interior.

Keith

Cruise2Buicks.jpg

CruiseDuce.jpg

CruiseCuda.jpg

• Like 3

Since the big Show in London, work has been steady and somewhat demanding so no progress on the Special yet.?

On my home front, my neighbour had purchased the house on the other side of me a few years ago and rented it back to the previous owner. Sad story and a sad ending...

The agreement for him was to move out the end of May. Being single and dealing with a host of health issues at only 56... The Police were there on May the 30th with a friend of his that had not heard anything from him. Sadly the Police came out of the fully unlocked house to inform us he had passed away. Still not sure if it was natural causes or not as he was a very quiet private man. Just hits you being something next door...

Meantime the house was known to be demolished to make way for a new one and in two days, we have a new view. From this...

IMG_3255.thumb.JPG.166c4c6c8a7864ecf3df22e28e2b5a06.JPG

To this!

IMG_3284.thumb.JPG.ff6b1bdc48be84fc4a965279adb81e89.JPG

Quite the change after 35 years (let alone the circumstances getting here...)

Have decided the contractor doing the new construction will be rebuilding our back yard wall / fence but will need to do some preparation for access which means... the parts car Limited will finally have to go. (My wife is really happy)

More to come.

Moving forward...

I had to start cleaning out the shed before dismantling it and then getting at the Limited so pulled out as much as I dared, placing it on the lawn to sort as to 'keep or scrap'.

After almost having that task completed before the wife came home (oh my!), decided the ditch needed to be weed whacked to avoid further discussion.

IMG_3303_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.b55406f84a211aa8079b0e5ea94f8a7b.jpg

Amazing the mosquitoes that reside in tall grass!!

IMG_3306_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.0a6f3b5ec66d72b796dcbe7b7b879634.jpg

That missing part of the block wall is what collapsed not having a proper footing and drainage and is 75 feet long!

The contractor needs to have access to break out the remaining wall with his small backhoe hence the shed and Limited removal.

Meantime I decided to end the effort for the day and after supper chose to season my new BBQ as the instructions stated.

20180623_170428.thumb.jpg.ee429379358456847f5f97ffdec1fdba.jpg

It was a simple process of wiping down the grills with cooking oil and heating to 300 degrees for about 25 minutes. Presumably this was to remove any manufacturing oil or such for cooking any foods. 

Meantime looking at the yard and finding scrap wood around decide to burn what was needed to get rid of it.

IMG_3309_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.2f779de424f4a5792dd743b37d30871c.jpg

It was a beautiful night and while hard to tell, the sky was clear showing the moon about 3/4 full.

I have  a bit more things to remove from the shed yet which are 'keeper things' before starting to dismantle it. Then the access to the Limited dismantling it will begin... 

• Like 4

Had an opportunity to sort through more in the shed and while getting ready to call it quits was hearing a knock at my door. Seems my neighbour stopped by with his car he had out for a run since he saw the garage door open.

IMG_3298_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.e879ff48c0444b622c1ea2d592a9cd00.jpg

This is all original showing the usual signs of daily use but the interior is perfect.

He is looking for the rear rubber corner fillers as these did the usual breaking down from sun and weather like that era Buick's do too.

IMG_3299_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.06f5a2daa46118161d9d3781b46f5bba.jpg

The trusty 318 lost it's lean burn distributor before he bought it and she runs great.

Will get back to the cleanup soon... (after the rain here gives up)

• Like 1