ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Doug, 

It is always a pleasure to see you and talk Buick smack! Thanks for coming over and spending the morning with us. It was really great to have all of us together for a while just to talk cars and general stuff. Hoping your tranny is a simple and easy rebuild for Jim. 

It was really neat to see Joe's 58 Caballero in progress. It is going to be a real show stopper, for sure!

Looking forward to the next time we meet, which hopefully will be soon! Glad you had a safe trip back and no issues with the customs people. 

• Like 1

Headed back to the garage late this afternoon to get some equipment loaded for tomorrows work and once that was done started to take a close look at the rear top bumper I got from Lance.

IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.0c237eaae5800579b7384546cf7ffc49.JPG

I'm not sure what exactly is on it but with some elbow grease and my metal cleaner it started to look better.

IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.68f8a5154faa4d6624c4826d35892561.JPG

It is not quite as nice finish wise as the Special but if nothing else, is proving to be a great condition candidate for re-chroming. This is for the larger Roadmaster or Limited series which is longer than the Special / Century.

Something else I have wanted to do was take a picture of the oil change sticker on the door of the Special. I had completely forgot about it till wiping dry the jams after washing her one day and noticed it. I have mentioned buying this car while in High School in 1972 and even though I have the license plates still on the car (the last year we had to buy steel plates in 1973) I finally took a picture of the sticker.

The date is not clear but I remember taking it to shop class and doing the oil change, filter and grease as a class exercise up on the twin post hoist.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.665a9a7f77ce5dfbca15e200453444dd.JPG

I did driver her to my 10 year High School Reunion and parked up on the lawn in front of the Principles Office for fun. More than a few that time remembered the car and knew I was there.

I've posted this shot earlier in the thread but thought I would add it here again.

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.1d03aa9e309672fe5d1617a68d131366.JPG

Hoping to get one more cruise in this weekend as the temps are supposed to be coming up.

Edited by dei
added picture (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Doug, it was great meeting you this week!

Thanks for the fun morning; I was glad to learn that you all had time to visit the Caballero.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting it home.

• Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoyed the all too short a time too Joe! :)

I read your PM this morning and responded. Can't wait to see the "Cab" painted up! The body guy seemed like a great fellow and could tell he takes pride in his work. 

Now that I know where you / it is at maybe we all could do a lunch and visit again some time over the winter as work for me slows up and need you guys to help keep me inspired to get at my collection.

For you 1958 Buick collectors, thought I would post a shot of the difference in length (widths) of the Special/Century and Roadmaster/Limited series cars.

I placed the large series bumper on the trailer hitch as the example.

IMG_2355.thumb.JPG.9a660c4f9e2d9be47ecb9bca1adc1e59.JPG

There is exactly 3" difference between them.

The front grills are inter changeable between all the models but the difference in width is made up on the fenders and the lower turn signal panels.

This is from my Limited which is longer between the signal housing and where the grill meets.

59fc52ee6ce7d_1958BuickLimited-Aug311993-frontturnsignalprimed.thumb.jpg.bbf505bb9b0c1ff6de438c6588ff012b.jpg

• Like 2

Last night was "change the clocks back" for daylight savings time and managed to take advantage of the extra hours sleep. ^_^

My oldest stopped in unexpectedly on his way home from work this morning and we all shared breakfast together for the first time in a long time. Then I had a mission to accomplish and since the weather forecast came through with the all day rain, it was a good day to be inside the garage. 

I need to take off the yoke on one of my '58 transmissions to take down to Jim later for him to install. 

Most of my time was spent just digging my way along the one side of the car due to STUFF that has been accumulating over the years and blocking my way. :rolleyes:

I FINALLY uncovered it only to find some spare door frames resting on top of the torque ball! :wacko:

IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.298a8c5c1d3509e9d9817a53f941c03b.JPG

Removed some more things, placed a brace and voila, Access!

IMG_2362.thumb.JPG.b31c634518f94c069d03aac170847daa.JPG

Need to read my Chassis manual and check but think this one might be from a '57 Buick also as the spline doesn't look like it has the keyway for the '58 driveshafts....

IMG_2364.thumb.JPG.29c82a04ab80fa1e4ae57d1a5ce22f45.JPG

Plus I have to buy a thin wall socket to fit the bolt deep inside!

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

While cleaning up to get back there I found a few things on the floor that a critter had knocked off the shelf and brought them in to clean up.

One was this spare trunk emblem I forgot I had. While the centre emblem is pitted, the main body looked to be in good condition so figured it deserved a cleaning to see what I had.

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.9c06d0e2e83bd80ee200404c169ca4e6.JPG

The other piece is the headlight chrome from a dash and again, needed to see how it would look after some effort.

IMG_2376.thumb.JPG.861e7908863c263508d3caabf4c65965.JPG

With these kinds of results, I could do this all day and as you might guess, suppertime was about do. 

(and it was still raining)

• Like 1

I locked up after supper and will get back in there later. 

I had to turn on the fan as with the rain and high humidity today, everything was sweating which isn't good at all.:o

IMG_2358.thumb.JPG.572e3a56e981a6c1d7c7abc81a1cbaa9.JPG

One thing about this effort, I realised I have lots of parts to get the Limited back together with some concentrated effort.

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.6952cfe2f1623fc49de6f3d3eee2e9e2.JPG

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.541a17ff73ad2b01afd85e93c4573f0e.JPG

Now to sit down with a beverage, read my manual and see if I'm forced to dig out the other side of the car to find the other transmission at the very back...:unsure:

• Like 4

With full intentions of cleaning up the other side of my garage at home to get at the very back of the Limited to check on anther transmission i believed was there I was side tracked.

The garage door is an old 16 foot metal sectional using the side cable / spring lift system. My son has been in and out lifting the door (it has no electric door opener) and didn't bother to tell me it was heavy as... to open! :angry:

Seems the cable on one side had slipped it's anchor some and the spring on the other side has lost some of its tension so... spent the afternoon Sunday correcting that situation.

Then, had to reattach the styrofoam panels I had on the inside to help hold the cold out. Duct tape is my friend at this point but will need something more permanent to keep them from falling back out.

Finally started digging towards the back of the car just before dinner and realised I must have shoved it at the very back corner which will require moving more stuff... 

Having another garage has not done me any good but give me more space to shove stuff in! :wacko:

However, exposing more of the Limited is keeping me motivated to plug along and get her back on the road. ( no pictures for now - too embarrassed to show the mess)

Coming home to check on mail and email noticed an ad parting out a '58 Roadmaster and with a bit of correspondence sent a picture of mine to help him with what I'm looking for.

Will see what he has and so on but thought since the picture was out I would post it here too as you can see the Limited in the background.

5a0b2ea0e2c6e_1958Roadmaster-storagemoveLeamington-Copy.thumb.jpg.86eb5568898f8309beb051c0c8956c71.jpg

This was awhile ago and one of the last storage moves before bringing the Limited home to my garage. Notice she is all together there. Should have just concentrated on the engine and not taken the front clip off but guess in the end it will be worth it. :unsure:

Same day, closer shot.

5a0b30164aa0b_58Limited-March1990-Leamington.thumb.jpg.32227399716c20ab9a88b63fa2be41a9.jpg

Might just use this one as my home page on my computer now instead of the one of my Special I have used to keep me working on her...?

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has been happening on my Buick's as with the winter closing in trying to finish up late season work.

My son however is finally getting at his car as mommy wants her winter parking spot back...

5a15f1d427578_1991Mustang-Nov142017-rearaxlereassembly.thumb.JPG.5bcad1a088cf2efe1418996c9035f2bb.JPG

The parts he needed came in to repair / replace bearings and such on the axle you can see sitting on the floor just inside the garage. 

He wanted also to change the bushings on the trailing arms too while things were apart and I took the one side of the chrome exhaust pipe and went at it with my chrome cleaner and just a rag. 

When he took a good look at it, he brought the other one to me and said, "This one might need a little more work".

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.a219469f2947cd7533b27f5dc22c2f07.JPG

Huh? Who's car is it anyway? :lol:

However, he might be right about the effort part but I'm not quite done just yet...

IMG_2400.thumb.JPG.2b4b0eb64a300763dd8664926b18526b.JPG

Gotta help him out while I can. ;) (It's good to feel useful)

Nothing yet on the progress of my Transmission but I did tell Jim there was no rush plus, no news is good news at this point with Xmas coming up.

I stopped into this place for breakfast yesterday as I noticed it was officially opened.

It is a re-creation of the chain started by a local family who actually received permission from Walt Disney himself to use the Hi Ho name and created the Grumpy Burger's etc. way back. 

At one time there were three Drive-in spots here in Windsor and I drove my Limited and the Special to them getting served in the car by the Car Hop Girls. That was in the early 70's.

IMG_2401.thumb.JPG.d50cc8fbea7ecc6118f557f329d5dabe.JPG

IMG_2402.thumb.JPG.6f1205d808fa2f0ba0921a3cbca0a279.JPG

Planning to get the Special out on Saturday for a few shots since the forecast is to be dry and sunny. Sadly this new version isn't offering the Car Hop Service but hey, still looks cool! :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smartin said:

I know hat sound well

I'll bet you do Adam. :D

Would imagine mostly from the Roadmaster since you drove her to South Bend and back compared to the Limited which only was driven around your block if I remember correctly.

What I find interesting is I never really noticed it too much this summer driving with the top down. Even with the top up, the road sounds and other usual rattles that come from a convertible can't say it bothered me much either.

Playing back the video though sure picks it up. 

Hey Doug,

Just like Beemon said..to get rid of the squeek, give the linkage a good spraying with WD-40. Mine chirped like a bird at certain speeds, and I did that and .....(silence)......when I drive Bessie now.

The drive in looks awesome! How is the food and service? Hope as good as the place looks!

Enjoy the weekend my friend!

Jim

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

The drive in looks awesome! How is the food and service? Hope as good as the place looks!

Enjoy the weekend my friend!

Jim

I've only been for their breakfast Jim which was plentiful!

Will be going back for their Grumpy burger or something similar and will have to compare it with our meal at the restaurant we had dinner at near your old storage place that day! :D

Would love to take advantage of this 60 degree weather and pop over with the Special but when the sun shines my business phone rings, and while great full for the work, can't be everywhere! 

Too much to hope this will last for the weekend?

Are you home and getting much done on your "long roof's" at the new place?

Always nice to have room to watch a collection grow ! :lol:

On 26/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, Beemon said:

It just needs a good spray of white lithium. The WD-40 stuff is the lube I used and it helped most of my squeaks. 

On 27/11/2017 at 3:35 PM, 1957buickjim said:

Just like Beemon said..to get rid of the squeek, give the linkage a good spraying with WD-40. Mine chirped like a bird at certain speeds, and I did that and .....(silence)......when I drive Bessie now.

Guys, You are so right about this! :)

Grabbed a can, generously sprayed the the linkage and...

WHAT A TREAT!

• Like 1

Wow, I remember my parents taking us to the Hi Ho on Highway 18 just south of the Ambassador Bridge, on the way to back Amherstburg from Windsor.

That new one looks a lot nicer than the one I remember!

• Like 2

I remember that one too Joe! In fact what is left of it is still there but part of a machining company now. The other one I frequented was on Tecumseh Road E and that building is still a restaurant but different owner / name.

For the squeaking linkage, you could also take a bit of wiper vacuum tubing, cut a slit in one side and then press it on around the edge of the hole where they linkage goes through. That way it's rubber on metal instead of metal on metal if/when it chirps against the firewall.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

For the squeaking linkage, you could also take a bit of wiper vacuum tubing, cut a slit in one side and then press it on around the edge of the hole where they linkage goes through. That way it's rubber on metal instead of metal on metal if/when it chirps against the firewall.

I'll remember that when I put my new gas pedal boot on this winter Ben. 

Wow, this is December 3, 2017! :blink:

50 degrees today, sunny and "NO SNOW!"

Grabbed the Special to have a final drive this afternoon and fill her up for the winter (which just has to be around the corner...).

IMG_2422.thumb.JPG.01ffabc18fe8d90d42e2e9a0e23db867.JPG

LOTS of thumbs up :) and brought her home to fire up the BBQ.

My son was home and after supper he asked me if I was going to take the car back to the garage.

At first I asked if he wanted to go for a ride. Shortly after I asked if he would like to drive her? 

He quietly said sure. So...

IMG_2423.thumb.JPG.a116238d014e08bcd0e0c70f4609160a.JPG 

Too dark to capture him but... This was the first time behind the wheel (age 28) and was one of those really great father / son moments! B):wub:

I think I can be sure where this one will go when the time comes. :)

• Like 2

Finished early today and slid over to the Special. Decided to clean out the glove box of the things which accumulated over this summer. I have a habit of taking my gas receipts, marking the mileage and sticking them in there. I sat down after supper and decided to organize them on a spread sheet and here is what found:

Total Miles driven since May 1st:  1,170.6 miles

Total fuel costs: $473.91

Total fuel volume: 74.1 gallons 

If my math is correct I believe she delivered an acceptable performance of 15.79 miles to the gallon.

Now that I have actual numbers to back me up I plan on having some fun with an artist friend of mine. He owns a 1962 Metropolitan convertible and when he finally saw the Special, started kidding me about being lucky if I got 10 miles to the gallon!  :P:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While watching the TV tonight I hear the sound of an in coming email and...

It was from Mr. Hughes showing me a progress report on my transmission.

I had told him to take his time as I was not in any hurry (plus needed to gather some US funds).

The main case and tailshaft  housings after cleaning.

5a2b6bc990460_Themaincaseandtailshafthousingsaftercleaning-pic1.JPG.c4121375ae821d669f25dbab9a268f00.JPG  

5a2b6c425f400_Themaincaseandtailshafthousingsaftercleaning-pic2.JPG.14c69a7ec2577be67af521c44836b82a.JPG

The tailshaft housing reassembled.
5a2b6c9e5179e_Thetailshafthousingreassembled-pic3.JPG.f63d156ea5aad0f542fa84c4e2d80c4e.JPG

The main case with the new support bushing installed.
5a2b6ce6f2ee6_Themaincasewiththenewsupportbushinginstalled-pic4.JPG.a1bc16baa968971e10f9d3461c4d1364.JPG

The output shaft, reverse brake drum, reverse band, rear oil pump and parking lock wheel installed in the main case.
5a2b6d38ee762_Theoutputshaftreversebrakedrumreversebandrearoilpumpandparkinglockwheelinstalledinthemai.JPG.c33c0b733f6fbbc668c1dd0038f4418c.JPG

The tailshaft housing installed on the main case.
5a2b6d863d7b3_Thetailshafthousinginstalledonthemaincase-pic6.JPG.7b9418facdc7d3f98d945fd69f99d53a.JPG

The clutch assembly, low band and input shaft installed.
5a2b6ddc36280_Theclutchassemblylowbandandinputshaftinstalled-pic8.JPG.c1fed89750a70e7a0fcf629c146d154b.JPG

Jim says he is now working on the stator support and front pump assembly.

If I get nothing else for Xmas this year I'm happy and thankful knowing this transmission is in GOOD hands! :)
Looks like a good start in the NEW YEAR...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GOOD LORD! 

Minor snow but still had to head over to Mom's to clear the steps and driveway.

Dressed up, went out to the truck, put the key in the ignition and tried to turn it on. WOULD NOT TURN! :o

IMG_2439.thumb.JPG.e8de95d0a2c4abf6d6393f9c3aad3e85.JPG

With no success after twisting the wheels, rocking the truck back and forth thinking the linage has a bit of pressure, having a totally useless online conversation with the Dealership... now grabbing the keys of my wife's van and heading out to shovel the bit of snow! :angry: :( :wacko:

IT HAD BETTER NOT SNOW ENOUGH THIS WEEKEND TO NEED THE BLOWER AS I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO MOVE OUT IF I TRY TO LOAD IT IN HER VAN!!! 

CRAP! :P

Well, after a five hour wait for a Locksmith I'm back running again. :rolleyes:

Seems Ford had a problem with the Focus ignition switches up till 2008 somewhat like I was having.

The tumblers would get stuck or out of alignment not allowing the key to turn.

He sprayed a little bit of WD40 in the switch, sat in the seat and centered the steering wheel. There is a little bit of play even when locked. He then put the key in and with a screw driver tapped the key lightly while trying to turn the key with the other hand. 

Suddenly it turned and he started the truck. He shut if off and on several times and it only offered to stick the second time. 

Turns out he lives almost behind me and.... I went to High School with his older brother!

Said not to worry about the service call as he was headed home anyway but gave him something anyway. Who knows when I might need his services again!? :unsure:

Phew!

• Like 3

Moving from one crisis to another... 

We are supposed to get about 4-5 inches of snow over night and went over to the garage and load up my snowblower which I had running two weeks ago. After many, many, pulls FINALLY got it to fire and just as I was pulling the choke off it quit. :(

Pulled several times again she fired up and this time thought I'd let it warm up (with the choke off) then trying the auger and the drive.

During the warm doesn't it quit again! This time trying to pull the cord it feels like something is hung up or... the bearings are burned??? :unsure:

NO luck getting it started again and decided to head home for dinner and make a few calls to customers explaining what is going on. This is not an old machine but has a Briggs engine which someone told was a china made unit a few years ago. Oil has been changed regularly with new plug every season. 

Meantime once at home and checking e-mail I see Jim returned my asking him if he was seeing anything unusual in the transmission. His response; 

"So far I haven't found any surprises.   The transmission is in very good condition internally."

Somewhat confirms Lances 66,000 mile speedometer reading on his Roadmaster which this came out of.

How ever, the picture I sent Jim of what I hoped was a '58 Dynaflow turns out to be a '57 so will need to dig back in behind the Limited soon to get at what I'm sure is the transmission out of my Limited parts car.

IMG_2365.thumb.JPG.e47e4412932aa8e092f39d7c569cc273.JPG

Time for an evening night cap, get some decent sleep and up early for tomorrows snow.

T'is the season. :P

Rough couple of days...

With receiving 4 inches of snow two days ago and firing up the snow blower only to have it quit twice and not starting up again, managed with the shovel but.... Last night we received another 6 inches!!! 

Spent the day today hand shovelling that and decided enough was enough! The blower was at the garage with the Special so went over the end of today to further investigate if the machine can be salvaged? Sadly it is sized up and will not turn over by the pull cord!! 

Decided to fire up the Special and move her out into the driveway to give me some room to work.

IMG_2460.thumb.JPG.7a7351a20cf88184020c1144d16c1583.JPG

This is the first time she has had her feet in the snow since I bought her in 1972.

IMG_2458.thumb.JPG.1a0c2c5c5abb1e9c58e2a7eb7ce6f9b8.JPG

No I did not drive it out on the salt laden road... Just tore the snow blower apart and then parked her away for the rest of the winter (hopefully?). 

One does what one has to do. :blink:

Meantime, making good use of the Ben Gay...

• Like 1