ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

I found this thread while looking for "1958 Buick grounding straps."  Wow! what a great thread.  I have spent the afternoon reading and been excited about a number of your thoughts (and the notes on the steering column, one of my next adventures). So, keep it up and stay dry.  I understand that Irma may take a twist north once it hits. Cheers from Alberta. Michael.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much Michael!

Canadian and from Alberta too! :D

Just where abouts would that be sir? Don't tell me Calgary by chance?

Would you believe that's where my Special came from!

I would imagine if your '58 originated from there that it is fairly solid too. 

Thanks for following along,

Doug

Posting pictures of this past Labour Day Weekend.

With requests to hold space for the group whoever arrived first I had to encourage my wife to hurry up. However, looked outside and isn't it starting to sprinkle! :(

Now, I wanted to arrive top down and this wasn't looking good plus on top of that , it was only about 58 degrees.... hmmm. I waited it out a bit wiping off the car and last minute carpet cleaning and soon the rain quit so fired her up and drove back to load up for the day.

Told my wife to wear her winter coat and she looked at me kinda funny. I said that we were going topless but the car was all warmed up and the heater was working.

Oh it was cool but arrived to register with number 34 and found one of our group was already there.

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.552eeab7cf0f8efadb1e2b1542fe1fe0.JPG

We ended up with a total of seven cars all together and the day was coolish but warm out in the sun. (A sure sign the season is a changing.)

One of my friends owns that green '55 Cadillac you see down the row.

While it is not a Buick, I have to tell this story.

A local car shop owner John Banks of Banks Alignment bought it way back and his daughter eventually bought it from him. She owned it for many years and had it repainted and at times was in our Museum on display.

Eventually she and her husband decided to sell it and knew my friend was wanting to own it so a deal was struck. The car needed the usual old car things to make it dependable and Joe took a few years before they were worked out. What was going on behind the scenes was one of our gang had called the daughter and said that she just had to come to the car show as it was imperative they be there! Meantime, there was a call put in to Joe that he just had to drive the Cadillac to the show.

Well, most of us did not know what was being planned and the look on Audrey's face (and ours) when she arrived was PRICELESS! :)

IMG_2053.thumb.JPG.24054766023e7995722ce779cb23b21e.JPG

Naturally Joe had to take her for a ride in her old baby! 

IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.e1d91eef36a51388a2643ff085b4b6f2.JPG

T'was a great day. B)

• Like 3

Dear Doug: Edmonton.  Mine is a 58 Estate Wagon 49D.  It is almost all back together. Pink. Will be fun when it is done.  It had been in a barn (yes, a real barn) north of Edmonton since the 1970s.  Lots of work, but it is fun to play with. I'll fire you some pictures as it gets closer. I will be using your pictures to put my steering column back together. Cheers. Michael.

• Like 1

OK Michael, a bit north of Calgary but... would you believe my Special came from the factory pink also?! 

I've seen pictures of a few Cab's in pink and they look really nice!

I think I'll keep mine red if I ever redo her. :D

With work still coming in it is hard to do all the shows I would like to but...

the winter will be coming and have a small list (so far) of things I want to work on when things are slow.

The effects of Irma are not here yet and this time it has given us a system of nice clear weather this past week without the humidity that usually is pushed up from the Gulf.

Having said that, work is still work but with the different settings I get to work in, sometimes one just has to stop and smell the roses.

IMG_2100.thumb.JPG.3c15349a001c4a426c5eb8e2b26fedb6.JPG

This is Hiram Walkers distillery Home of Canadian Club on the banks of the Detroit River with the Ren Cen (Gm Headquarters) in the background in Detroit. 

Having been lucky enough to have worked here for many years on and off, I have seen this view often. What caught my attention this time is the water level! Being an experienced pleasure boater most of my life and plied this very stretch of the River have never seen it quite this high! :o

IMG_2098.thumb.JPG.c7f2ffcf8285fc068879d7913ab8bfdd.JPG

Normally this sea wall is about three feet before the water hits the top!

The small swells you see were created by this.

IMG_2095.thumb.JPG.60e674e589d56b602813a7bbe4f7c91a.JPG

Like all things, change is inevitable and the only constant is change. 

Wisers has actually taken over the property and made it their home but... I'm still working! ;)

Unfortunately sometimes it means missing those weekend car events so... made up for it Monday evening by asking our neighbours last minute if they wanted to join us for dinner going in the Buick?

Having said yes, put the girls in the back seat and off we went.

IMG_2106.thumb.JPG.6664d52e95f8c06f31e62c8a54adfd2a.JPG

The drive there was not too cool at all but as soon as the sun starts to set, it's that time of year. 

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.07755b2fc08d629ced59d72508207a77.JPG

Told my friend that he needs to be in a newer car than the Special to wear that rapper look! :lol::)

Was a good evening capped at home with sharing a glass of champagne.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Awesome photos Doug! The river is quite high right now. Looks like you had fun in the Special as well. Hope we can catch up soon! In between travels, I actually have been working on the long roof. I hope to update my post in the near future. Glad you're getting out there and driving the Convertible. Enjoy it while you still can with this weather. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to your updates Jim! :)

Having fun is what it is all about for me. :D

Would you believe I just turned over 1,100 miles since putting her back on the road! 

Hope to get over one day before the weather closes in but in the mean time heading to the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti next Sunday driving one of my friends Monarch's. With Irma breaking up the forecast looks good for Sunday! 

• Like 1

Have thought about that Jim, especially following MrEarl's thread and desires to do that very thing! :)

This being the first time I have towed anything behind her, going to have to redo the dynaflow I think to ensure her dependability though.:unsure:

With having put new cardboard down after the garage flooding have noticed a few more drips here and there. (Didn't seem so bad with the old cardboard - new makes it seem worse I guess and will be watching the level more)

• Like 2

Left the Special in the garage this weekend as my friend Joe wanted to take his two Monarchs to the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show on Sunday.

We have attended this show many times in the past with my Dad taking the Overland, Whippet and Nash at various times so this one I was looking forward to.

Sunday morning started out with BAD fog and delayed our heading out about a 1/2 hour.

IMG_2123.thumb.JPG.c1f8fcf0e3d9fe2c0f7c873d3fe9f696.JPG

Once the sun was above the horizon it soon burned off and the temps all day were perfect.

IMG_2157.thumb.JPG.7cc1c64d5c9d1b1423e4576d526d57b0.JPG

The white '60 on the left was his dad's car purchased new in 1960 and has it's original interior. He redid the paint about 20 years ago and while still looking good, is starting to show a few bubbles on the rear doglegs. 

The blue '59 he picked up about 30 years ago and has gone through things mechanically and has its original interior also.

The white '59 Mercury four door was it's first showing from another owner and bears it's original paint and interior but is the US version versus the Canadian Monarch line. Other than small trim pieces and name badges,  basically the same cars.

Sooo many orphan cars to see from this Durant / Star (yes, barn find) coupe, which ran like a top in the pass and review,

IMG_2141.thumb.JPG.7278c2470d92168a75e4ac19297ee682.JPG

To Imperial's, Marmon's, and Packard's! :D

This one for me was the show stopper of the Packard's!

The design is just so distinctive and classy and being a phaeton.

IMG_2154.thumb.JPG.fb3eee783f9e476bf59cd9ef01b74c0d.JPG

IMG_2153.thumb.JPG.a6c5a0981c295f5c755a9759141bf0ca.JPG

Now, I love finned cars but had to take time and study what must be one of the last Packard's made.:unsure:

IMG_2149.thumb.JPG.bac5e6e7876afbe6b7cedb0e4ef747fc.JPG

Still, a beautifully preserved piece of Packard history!

IMG_2150.thumb.JPG.4ac7a6f976a3e6f7c0564c18f4eadbac.JPG

I could post more cars but being this is supposed to be my Buick thread.... will save them for another.

T'was another great day! :)

• Like 6

With the continued build up of temps this past week had to fight sweating to death! (90 degrees the end of September around here is crazy!)

Thank heavens for air conditioning in the truck! Work took longer than it normally should but so what!!

A last minute call came in for more work before this past weekend at Hiram Walkers again as there was to be a Wedding on the grounds.

Work helps pay bills for the cars so....

IMG_2181.thumb.JPG.e6ff71641dd019772a415cb390281123.JPG 

This was Hiram Walker's Executive Building established in 1958 and is one beautiful piece of architecture!

After completion in the front it was off to the river front grounds.

IMG_2196.thumb.JPG.0b2f27ad19bb86b9277b66a6cffd8ad2.JPG

I had to clean up and be gone before 2pm due to a wedding being held which was fine by me. 

IMG_2197.thumb.JPG.29ef7f72b5a391c78dab1c7b5618a228.JPG

Guessing that's why they wanted the sign and windows on the first floor trimmed out and cleaned up for pictures.

After dealing all week with the heat decided to take Sunday off and planned a road trip.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, old-tank said:

No sympathy from south central Texas...

HAHAHA...

I went to High School with a guy whose family moved up here from Dallas Fort Worth and soon learned all about Texas so in the State credo, "Everything is bigger and better in Texas", I guess you have bigger heat than we do... :lol:

Seriously though, I have to be careful having had an episode of heat stroke 7 years ago and with working outside, just don't take it like I used to. (might be an age thing???)

Our Sunday road trip was to take advantage of the continuing clear hot weather and being my wife is coming upon a monumental birthday soon, suggested we go for a ride and have a late lunch together like we used to do many years ago when dating.

With the fuel topped up we headed east out of town along Lake St. Clair and stopped at the mouth of Pike Creek which is a very wealthy area.

IMG_2207.thumb.JPG.58b03f4172b01ce3ef7fff3e841df866.JPG 

This particular road I believe will eventually become a private one as the owner of this yacht has two huge places (bought out his neighbours to build on the lake) and can see him getting tired of people (like me) stopping to simply be astounded at this.

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.f221bcc2766e5127974130ef65256352.JPG

At 72 feet it puts my 20 foot car in perspective doesn't it?

• Like 1

Lunch Trip cont'd.

Taking all secondary roads and taking our time we drove into Belle River which has a Pier with a Restaurant, Marina and a Public Boat Launch. The place was packed just like in the middle of July so skipped having lunch here as parking was at a premium but stopped long enough to capture a shot of the beautiful beach across the canal. Just a great place for families with kids.

IMG_2212.thumb.JPG.a9eb4844fd637fe98e0c1432eccc3269.JPG

Again following along the Lake and the dedicated rail road for Via Rail (the Canadian counterpart for Amtrak) we came upon a Golf Course advertising a new Patio and lunch specials so stopped in. Convinced Cindy to eat outside under the covering by telling her she just might not want to get back in the car after sitting in the air conditioned restaurant as it was officially 89 degrees outside. 

IMG_2214.thumb.JPG.c9434ca7656626bc02fb4a89c84f1c85.JPG

It was a good choice and the food was super and with a gentle breeze, was a perfect setting.

After lunch Cindy went out to the car while I paid the bill and two couples up from Florida came over to see the car and asked if it was a work in progress? After telling them I had bought it while in High School they said "That's incredible. It's a beautiful car and one that deserves to be taken care of."

I liked seeing the smile on Cindy's face telling me the story.:)

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.5b08893d974d611aa26c90ca94b4e24e.JPG

• Like 2

Lunch Trip cont'd.

Back on the road we set a leisurely pace till entering an area called Lighthouse Cove which is at the mouth of the Thames River. It was developed many years ago by dredging canals in the flood plain and selling lots with steel break walls just like in Florida.

It really is mostly a summer type community and economically is up and down. Sadly the long time restaurant in front of us was not only closed but for sale. This was going to be my first choice for lunch but glad we stopped when we did.

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.66334a188bbe7c7478395d908cca37b0.JPG

Directly behind is the Government Light House that used to guide boaters into the mouth of the Thames. With this end of Lake St. Clair being so shallow it was a navigation necessity! It has been preserved and bet there are some stories could be told by the Lighthouse Keepers.

IMG_2216.thumb.JPG.aa45a88d1b1c671c8a185c7527fe4920.JPG

• Like 2

Lunch Trip cont'd.

Driving around a few of the roads / canals looking at the changed new built homes (from what we saw were more like cottages years ago) we headed up the Thames to another Marina and came across a canal that had 30-40 turtles sunning themselves on drifting wood but by the time I got out of the car, they all slid back into the water. I swear of them was  a foot in diameter!

IMG_2219.thumb.JPG.0087f01f066c5b93cbb7cb3cf2f07f0f.JPG

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.bde270a284038ff116ca092ce81f71e8.JPG

As boating goes, this is a nice quiet area and driving through the Marina, seeing many nice boats for sale.... miss my boat! <_<

Being the afternoon was getting on we decided to head back taking a slightly different route. We crossed the Via Rail line a few times hoping to catch a picture of a train as she really boots along out here in the open country but... never saw one. I think Passenger traffic to Toronto and back has been slow from what I have read and know if one has a car, can go a lot cheaper than round trip by train.

Fortunately the car performed well never offering to get hot and always started up immediately. 

Guess my new three core rad (I put in back in 1984...) with the heat we are having has proved itself and doing it's job! 

IMG_2223.thumb.JPG.be63d04cc098cfee733042c79dd73499.JPG

While this was not an official birthday gift for Cindy (as she doesn't want to celebrate this one...) she said it was a great day, thanks and would be OK to let this be one.

T'was a great day!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dei said:

This particular road I believe will eventually become a private one as the owner of this yacht has two huge places

Doug --  just to be clear, which yacht were you referring to; the white one or the red one?  :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monday was an interesting day.

While still in the low 90's finished the day and told the wife I was going to the last official Cruise-in at one of the weekly haunts. As I was warming the car up I get a text asking "Where am I?"

Shoot! Forgot I had a meeting at 5 pm. Decided to drive the Special on down, do my walk through / estimate meeting and head on to the cruise-in right after.

This was at Walkers (Wisers) for inside work so had to take another picture.

IMG_2237.thumb.JPG.ae4fa2bed7122bc9bb8978092375f5ef.JPG

After our meeting went back to check out with Security and had to wait for them to return from rounds on the property. Turned in my badge when they came back and started the car, backed up and it stalled! Hit the starter and fired up but immediately stalled again. :o

Fortunately at this time of day the operation is quiet and being in the middle of the entrance gate wasn't a problem but opened the hood to see what was going on.

With having started the day before with a full tank of gas didn't figure I was out of gas???? but looked at the fuel filter and sure enough it was empty! :wacko:

Nice thing about Buick's, with the starter on the throttle one can reach under the breather, grab the linkage and crank the engine over. Doing so proved there was no fuel coming into the filter at all...

Two Millwrights were checking out also and asked if I needed help and told them I suspected I was out of fuel. They both said they had a 5 gallon can of gas in their truck and would help me put some in.

With fingers crossed after putting in about 4 gallons, I hit the starter and with a bit of cranking away she went!!!

These guys wouldn't take a dime from me and thought WOW! What a great thing!

All the young fellow said was, "I believe in paying it forward". THANKS GUYS!

We all left and I immediately went to the nearest Shell filling up with high test. I watched the pump and was shocked when it clicked off at $22! :huh:

This is a 20 gallon tank and figure with the approximate 4 gallons from the can and the additional 5 gallons I just pumped in (approximately 5/gallon cdn) I should have had at least 9-10 gallons of gas in the tank?! 

The other thing that did not make sense is that I only travelled 80 miles the day before and would be right surprised if she used all 20 gallons in that short of a distance!

Made it to the Cruise-In late with no other difficulties and was telling several friends about it. 

One suggested that he had something similar with his car. Turned out his pickup tube had developed pin holes in it when the tank was just under half letting air into the line and would stall out.

I have no leaks anywhere in the rubber line to the fuel pump or loose hose clamps so....

Guess I will be dropping the tank for a thorough cleaning, gauge replacement and new fuel line to the pump this winter.

Meantime, better get into the habit of filling up "every trip out" for now.

IMG_2238.thumb.JPG.485078098e2a36b235aeeb63ff404149.JPG

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Doug --  just to be clear, which yacht were you referring to; the white one or the red one?  :huh:

LOL

At 73 feet I call that a "Yacht".

With the Buick at only 20 feet It is a "Boat" as I have heard it called by some. :lol:

• Haha 1

With my wife having to attend an event Wednesday evening I decided I needed a Buick fix and with the threat of rain left the top down and went out to the weekly cruise-in.

Not very many there at all and after talking to a few decided to go in for dinner. Decided to put the top up 'just in case'.

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.dba07fdecd69ad45c37f5a5342ed587e.JPG

Fortunately the temperature was in the upper 70's as it has been down for well over a month and not being new, took a bit of effort to clamp into place.

Jim and his wife came in with their totally restored Velie which purrs like a kitten and is a weekly regular here.

IMG_2278.thumb.JPG.84109b45ac7472a490dfd38628325288.JPG

IMG_2279.thumb.JPG.bd237ce2219e8a8ee129de37af07dc92.JPG

Having satisfied the hunger urge Joe and I came out to find we were the only ones left and it had not rained at all so called it a night. 

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.c4e448543100f2f897d49b298b76e4e8.JPG

It's funny how certain cars peak ones interests. Joe really likes the Special and has stated he prefers the 50's over his Continental and I really like his car. I'm not sure I would trade mine for his but bet we could come to an arrangement if we really got serious...

IMG_2282.thumb.JPG.b5484591e56559295501ab09eba0b550.JPG

Meantime, the road trip is still on for not this weekend but the next one.

• Like 2

With heading in a few directions due to work I have been in the slow process of cleaning out my 12 X 14 shed at home which has to be moved for some construction work needed. Two small loads to the dump and putting the kids small bikes out at the curb have revealed the heads covered and on a bench for my Limited. 

Now that the Special is out and running fairly dependably, I might just have to get at the Limited but again it is going to be at a snails pace with other priorities in play.

Clearly this demonstrates to anyone reading this that having more than one car isn't always the best thing to do but... Getting there is half the fun?

I also have about five boxes of used 51/52 Ford truck parts I shelved which came with my 52 F-1 when I bought it. One of the items was a set of Mercury hood side trim which I spent about an hour hand polishing to see what condition they would in.

The top one was what they both looked like before polishing.

IMG_2286.thumb.JPG.c101dbee88a47c198f1ee6c693ded01e.JPG

The metal polish with a micro fibre rag did a great job.

IMG_2287.thumb.JPG.213c76ad29897c60e6a666b837dd63b0.JPG

With a little more work on the letters of the one, I think they would make nice driver quality pieces for someone since my truck is the Ford model, not a Mercury. I will be listing them on Kijiji which will help with work towards the Limited engine.

IMG_2291.thumb.JPG.5298cb692455e6fc3913cf88c8f8b5e1.JPG

• Like 3

Took my road trip yesterday and while most successful, it was arduous and what I call a test. More about that later.

The purpose was to pickup a used transmission from Lance who was wanting to reduce some of his collection to have more room to work on his Roadmaster coupe since it is coming apart and spreading out.

I have been posting on this Forums for quite awhile now and get an impression of what people are like from their various postings. Lance is more than what I had perceived and not only a GREAT Buick guy but a straight up honest shooter, a family man and like most of us, bitten hard by the Buick bug! 

What was his dad's car is just spectacular and after seeing the coupe up on his hoist, can imagine it coupe will be every bit as exciting and a winner too!:)

20171014_120904.thumb.jpg.0051a76ccffbef316d8577982af94c54.jpg

Of course Lance pointed out to me that Smartin (Adam) put his touch to the car and I must say that reading all your ventures with your cars, seeing various cars and getting a chance to meet some of you is what has motivated me to devote time to getting my Special back on the road! 

THIS IS A FINE GROUP OF PEOPLE and I'm proud to say I belong!  

• Like 3

About the trip.

After getting up at 5am and gathering the things I needed I no sooner crossed the Ambassador Bridge Customs (no issues there) and I realised I had my camera but.... FORGOT to put the charging battery back in it! :angry:

Still pumped, I did bring my old tablet (with it's cracked glass front) and figured I'd just have to make due with it.

Since I had plenty of time I set the cruise at the posted 70 mph and let traffic cruise on around me with no issues since it was light at that hour. Does anyone read posted sign limits and obey them anymore?? :unsure:

Just before the sun should be coming up it started to rain lightly and speed was maintainable. However, about a 1/2 hour later and no signs of the sun, it was like someone was turning the tap on full force and then the fun began. This is where had I had the point and shoot camera operating I would have taken a quick shot when the situation would have allowed. The tablet IS NOT convenient for that or safe while driving!

These conditions continued for another hour and a half getting worse at times and no real breaks till I was about 45 miles from Lance's home where the rain slowed some to allow reducing the wiper speed to the first level just below being on steady but... then it was road construction with supposed slower speeds and signs stating "Speeding Violations Carry a Minimum Fine of $1,000.00 and two points!" 

Having travelled this same route on our way to Brookfield and back this year wondered, do all construction road work projects take years to complete?? We have the same issues here in Canada!

Obeying the signs (while still raining ) in the now reduced three lanes of traffic to two, I slowed down (no braking) and immediatley had two cars swerve around me on my left and swear had I not hit the gas would have caused a pileup with me at the lead! Then where there were the electronic radar speed signs traffic hit their bakes and we all bunched up due to the leader of the packs actions..... 

Just before my turn off of this Disney World driving experience the rain actually stopped and once I saw the McDonalds sign, just had to make a "Pit Stop!" :lol:

20171014_103710.thumb.jpg.457a7b153fb95bf1781d27a733324388.jpg

Even with the rain I was actually early from our agreed meeting time and while arriving at Lance's wasn't he in the driveway! It seems his event with his kids had been cancelled due to the weather so... As stated above, had a good visit, loaded up the transmission and all too shortly headed on back to 57buick Jim's close (but not) to my home to drop it off for a bit till I can take it on down to Jim Hughes for a complete going over.

That trip to Jim's was even worse rain wise and traffic was heavier in the afternoon so when we talked just before arriving, I suggested needing to eat and we met at a great restaurant before unloading and enjoyed that time together. Jim is another Great Buick Guy and will leave the surprise he will be posting down the road.

This whole effort was so that down the road, if and when my tired transmission in the Special needs to be rebuilt, I have one basically on the shelf to reduce some down time. Additionally, I have two more 58's so... it just makes sense to have a spare and that is what I'm telling my wife! :lol:

Even with all this I still love an adventure! :D

Edited by dei
picture added (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Post script on the trip:

Round trip covered 580 miles.

My F-150 (V6) used a full tank and 3/8's of a second tank.

Border Crossing round fees were $13.00 Cdn.

Crossed Bridge at 6:15 am and home by 8:30 pm. 

Cleanup of spilled transmission fluid on Sunday was 1.5 hrs.

Now, I have to go back to Jim's to pick up the tranny again in order to take it down to Jim Hughes outside of Toledo on the 30th as it turns out 57buick Jim has to move out of his storage unit by the 31st so...

Another Road Trip! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beemon said:

Just be thankful you didn't take the Special.

Travelling the same route to Brookfield driving our minivan confirmed she did me a favour by breaking down at home before this Ben!

It was not only because of the speeds and nuts in front of me but then it was the 90+ degree heat!

Had I ventured with her this time still would have had the speed and nut issues but the rain would have been a "real bear" with the vacuum wipers not really operational! :wacko: 

• Like 2

When you get to the wipers, look into Kent Jaquith of Clean Sweep Wiper Motor in Redmond, Oregon.  I've had some ups and downs with my vacuum wipers, but they perform flawlessly when sealed properly. You just need to build up confidence! Driving on I5 and I405 in the rain through Seattle and Bellevue respectively has turned me into an unstoppable motorist. I've only hydroplaned maybe two times on the highway lol. The trick is to drive aggressively enough the people give you a wide berth because they don't want 4000lbs of steel coming through them... and have to pay insurance. :P maybe I'm just young and dumb... ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/10/2017 at 4:20 PM, Beemon said:

maybe I'm just young...

Ben, I didn't quote the last part of your post because after reading your postings, I know you are anything but what you said. However, having had two boys of my own the phrase 'No Fear' comes to mind...

My experience with aggressive driving lately has been testing my temperment both with the truck and as late as last evening with the Special, proving it is NOT just young drivers!  

I decided to fire her up after work and bring her home for a possible cruise downtown after supper. Turning off the main road into my neighbourhood and taking note of a few homes where I know there are some interesting cars, doesn't a newer Lincoln sport utility come blasting up on me from behind. As there is a stop sign coming up I see he is starting to pull around to pass and at the same time a car is turning off the side road towards him! :o There is no room or time for the Lincoln to get fully around me and not hit the on coming car so he jambs on the brakes and almost clips my back bumper to avoid a head on collision! 

Now fully stopped at the stop sign I instinctively reacted by getting out of my car and approaching the Lincoln (likely yelling) "What were you trying to do?"

To my shock I see the window roll down and it is a well dressed OLDER man behind the wheel!

His answer to me was, "I thought you were having car trouble."

Expecting to see a much, much younger person (I have experienced both sexes driving like this) I say to him that I bet he lives in the area right? The response was, "Yes I do" to which I said that he wasn't going to get home any faster with driving like that and you are in a residential neighbourhood so SLOW DOWN before you hurt someone! SHEESH!

Two blocks later, I parked in my driveway and sat for a minute thinking, I'd better change my attitude that all young drivers are a problem. 

What the real issue might be is, you just can't fix "STUPID"... :unsure:

I gave up on the evening cruise and let her sit out all night. This morning I plan to clean her up with a well deserved washing and chrome cleaning which is good therapy for me.

Thanks for listening to a "soon to be senior" griping away.

• Like 3

With my recent driving event with the Special, have been thinking about road safety. 

All newer cars have a third brake light and have seen several "antique cars" that the owners have put them on for added safety. I started digging into my shelves looking for ones that would not only serve the purpose but look right for my Buick and considering how to attach it without taking away from her originality.

My first attempt was to take a unit that is raised and was attached on the inside rear package shelf of modern hardtop cars but being the Special is a rag top, don't have that option.

Then I thought of somehow placing it out on the trunk but... did not like the squarish look compared to the rounded 50's design of the car. I also thought about getting to the car show and wondered if I could make one that could be removed and tucked into the trunk out of sight while there and quickly put back on upon hitting the road.

Then I received my flyer in the mail from one of our discount suppliers (Princess Auto) and saw some LED turn signal and brake light bars for a reasonable price. They are designed to screw onto a trailer (or car) but after looking it over thought, what if I made a filler in the shell and glued a magnetic strip to that allowing me to place it on the back of the trunk when driving and easily pull it off and place inside the trunk out of sight when at an event?

I had purchased two as one day in the future, I hope to have my other 58's on the road so off I went to my mom's where Dad had built a wood shop back in '84 and has just about everything one needs to do a project.

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.ce8e63627ff894c09faa6d3102bb2ddb.JPG

Still waiting for paint to dry and attach the magnetic strips but thinking this might work.

It was somewhat a tough day being in there as no one has really been in since Dad's passing back in March... and if one didn't know, you would expect him to put on his apron and offer you a seat while he talked about his latest project.

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.937ff3bee00252a83b9daa67eb69e770.JPG

His presence is strongly felt and sure he was watching over me as I used his jig saw to cut out the wood from his supplies. All of the wood benches and shelves was custom built by him to fit in the 16X16 hobby shop. 

It will be an even tougher day when Mom decides it is time to sell... 

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.db24e8ada893763c40a9c717208974a0.JPG

• Like 5

I have the third brake light on two of my cars, the '41, which I adapted to take a 6V bulb, and the Electra had one installed before I bought it. The '56 with its' higher tailfins, and much larger lights has I think better visibility, and doesn't the improvement as much. Though of course your car is similar, and anything that prevents a collision is a good thing.

A friend has LED bulbs in his '41 Ford, and though the lights are still small, they are much brighter and quite visible.

Keith 

• Like 2

It's Sunday evening and managed to squeeze a few "Buck things" in along with unexpected work these past few days.

I attached the strip magnets to the third brake light unit I made and wired it up. 

While not quite the blending look I had hoped for, it will make people take notice more and feel more comfortable knowing it will have higher visibility now.

I didn't take a picture yet but will when I remember to have the camera with me...

My other effort, after finding the heads on a shelf stored in my storage shed two weeks ago, moved them to my Dad's garage for now since the shed has to be dismantled and moved to make room to rebuild a retaining wall at the back of my property.

My son is encouraging me to take them to a shop he has dealt with while at University who does engine machining and rebuilds heads.

These are from my Limited engine which I took off some time ago.

IMG_2322.thumb.JPG.bfd167cd97c71cdc5967f09dc605f2a7.JPG

With the Special on the road and running fairly dependably, getting a bit pumped to think about the Limited. ;)

This car was the 2nd Limited I bought and never actually drove but... is identical to my 1st one in every way so... need to get at her and relive those memories along with the Special! 

59f645c89b3c1_1958BuickLimited-April41993-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.57ea81dd0a6583aeebb4ce4956e64d6c.jpg

I have a long way to go to get her "on the road" but as another Forums member says, you can't finish unless you get started. (or something to that effect...) 

• Like 1

As my thread sates, this is about all my '58's so having mentioned the bug to initiate some efforts on my Limited, will be flip flopping between it and the Special and this post is about the Special.

Up early today unloading my truck for another road trip over the Border to 57BuickJim's to pick up the transmission I brought back from Lance's two weeks ago. Then I'm driving it down to Jim Hughes for a complete going over.

Should be an interesting day! :)

• Like 1

Well, today was another full day but other than the cold biting wind and temps, a Good one! :)

Thanks to the light outbound traffic versus the incoming to work traffic heading towards downtown Detroit, I was there in plenty of time to meet 57BuickJim at the locker where my transmission has been temporarily. 

One day last week I had a call from 95Cardinal (Joe) confirming I was still coming over and wondered if we could meet up and if I was interested in seeing his '58 Caballero? I mean, all I heard myself saying was "YES, YES!" :D

While waiting for Jim to arrive parked along the long entrance driveway, I look and see a more than nice early 70's (?) Chev pickup approaching. Sure enough it was Joe and rolling down his window once beside me says Larry Schramm is meeting here too! 

IMG_2326.thumb.JPG.a3f8d74c755b65cb92bbde42ae655837.JPG

Once I was loaded up with the transmission, 4 used L78 15 www tires and a rear bumper top centre section to fit my Limited or Roadmaster we all went over to see Joe's Caballero which was really close by.

I won't steal too much of Joe's updates on his progress but share this shot and have to say this is going to be definite winner at the National when completed!! B)

IMG_2331.thumb.JPG.678e065b6fafd7a66c56b75ff385b580.JPG

I could have stayed ALL day as there was an abundance of Corvette's (their specialty) and various other make cars there...

IMG_2327.thumb.JPG.209e319117a420ffd4d87de132939c40.JPG

There was even a Skylark ('54 I think) in the back and included this Corvette which was being loaded and prepared for shipment to Europe.

IMG_2330.thumb.JPG.236e0de145ef9071b7331c8a4fd86a56.JPG

Sadly the time was getting on and I needed to set out for Toledo (Perrysburg) to drop my transmission to Jim's for a thorough going through. The 1 hour and 15 minute GPS estimated arrival time was made a bit longer with I-75 South bound construction redirecting traffic onto the city roads, but still arrived ahead of schedule enough to stop for a good lunch before calling Jim to say I was here.

I knew from our two conversations on the phone we were going to need time to talk and he is a great guy! He has things down to a science and is a wealth of knowledge regarding Dynaflows!

I'm not sure what the Buick Community will do without guys like this down the road...

After unloading and having to finally say goodbye I hit I-75 North and was on my way.

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.ee0389ea83bfaecb7f0c982c4015c6b7.JPG

Fortunately the North bound was only detoured for about 5 miles or so and when I hit the Canadian Customs all went well with my four used tires and rear bumper top. 

I stopped by my storage locker to unload them and made it into the house at exactly 6pm and before the kids started their Tricking and Treating. (My wife was happy I was home :lol:)

It was one of those days where 10 hours felt like 4 and driving 215 miles broken up the way it was left me not tired and able to help hand out candy. :)

Expect progress pictures of the transmission in the future as Jim does this as he moves along. Again, for anyone concerned about a Dynaflow rebuild, suggest you talk to Jim!

• Like 1

OH, I really can't sign off tonight without shouting out and thanking 57BuickJim for all his help with storing the trans for me and those tires let alone the muscle to take off and reload that boat anchor ! :lol:

Another great guy and his "Long Roof" is going to be great too when it is done, much like his '57 Special!

It is super to meet the guys on these Forums and have time to chat.

Nice to actually met you Joe and Larry!

Today was worth every minute!!

• Like 1