ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

So it is Xmas Eve Day and having finished my late morning coffee, getting ready to head out for one last item (gotta keep the wife happy) plus reflecting on this past year.

First, I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Xmas! :)

May all your travels be Safe and Joyous this Season! 

We are expecting some 4 inches of snow this afternoon through the evening so a White Xmas is in play around here!

I'm ready for it as I found another used snow blower for a reasonable price and not stressed with the thought of putting my body through too much this time!

Xmas will be different for us this year due to the absence of Dad and even less busy due to both my Daughter-in-law's having to work the Holidays this year but will make the best of our times together big or small.

At some point I will be getting into my garage at home to dig out that other transmission behind the Limited. I purchased a thin walled socket needed to unbolt the yoke and will be bringing it down to Jim when he says he is finished with the rebuild. That and the Ball Seal are the very last thing to go on which he will do when I go to get the unit.

Meantime, 

All The Best out there and Thanks for following along.

Cheers!

IMG_2492.thumb.JPG.7ede26b77c8d4fb15ecb58e40e03a9e2.JPG    

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

With this years "Deep Freeze" going on I have not been inspired or feel it was worth the effort to dress up and fire up the propane heater in the garage so far.

However, had a bit of a January thaw yesterday after a four hour freezing rain event in the very early morning and then hitting 40 degrees. Decided to go out late in the afternoon and open up the garage, move my son's collection of stuff in the way and document the effort to find the transmission at the back behind the Limited.

5a57622c7e747_ScofieldAveJanuary102018-pic1.thumb.JPG.15560ce0055ec7491fa68eb32543d1bf.JPG

Have not seen grass since two days before Xmas which is unusual for around here.

With the wife at work and my son's Mustang away in storage for the winter, I have plenty of room to move things out and keep under cover for the time I need to dig in there.

5a5762e26db92_ScofieldsAve-January102018-pic2.thumb.JPG.cbc8737f1fdaa284867d8a5efcad43bc.JPG

Well, the best laid plans....

First my memory card was showing "Full". This was by no means itself should have stopped the effort but then the phone rang and the accountant required some past information which is stored off site. So....

Closed the garage and later, receive text from the wife to put dinner in the oven...

Heading out to get a new memory card once the stores open and take advantage of our 51 degree forecast today since it is supposed to PLUNGE back in the 20's Friday and stay over the weekend.

Winter....:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a difference 24 hours makes around here weather wise!

At 6 A.M. it was already 49 degrees and expected to go up to 54. :)

5a5869302999e_ScofieldAve-January112018.thumb.JPG.6ec3bdff5c270fdcdb24e42b3b3afa7c.JPG

After a hardy breakfast and watching my wife and son head out for the day, opened the big door and dove in...

It's time to face the music!! :rolleyes:

IMG_2513.thumb.JPG.b1821fc80f6c175448243d6f2755e4b6.JPG

I've enjoyed watching others who are and have built some BIG garages for their collections and think to myself, What I have would fit nicely in that space with plenty of room to work but... looking at this shot realise the space would just be cluttered with MORE STUFF! :(

Of course I will try and spread some of the blame on my son who has managed to encroach in there too. His fully stocked tool box has come in handy a time or two but I don't think I'll be jumping on his dirt bike any time soon...

IMG_2514.thumb.JPG.06a5041fda2982b354a0336d50a8bf45.JPG

And so the safari begins to find and get at the other transmission for the correct yoke Jim wants for the '58 Dynaflow.

I know it is in there and hoping it is behind the Limited or on the left rear side of her.

IMG_2515.thumb.JPG.30b46daa887d0018dfcbbaa41ceba13c.JPG

This might sound like an excuse but this is a lifetime collection of Buick stuff mixed with parts from my then daily Chev (square box style) trucks and a smattering of RR stuff and at one time chased out a family of Racoons! Those buggers loved the attic! I had isulated the walls and ceiling with friction bats but never put up plywood so... their weight popped the insulation and plastic down creating such a mess!

Being discouraged is the only word I can print here but Life pulled me in other directions and well... just kept the door closed. 

Picking up some things off the floor, setting them outside to sort what will go and what will head into the trailer for disposal and finally getting to the back I see this!

IMG_2519.thumb.JPG.ad61234c7e3981585edc69f41cd46d1b.JPG

My hope was that the transmission was lying on the floor near or under the far side on the Limited so digging in deeper.

Having collected various parts over the years at swap meets with Dad, when he could go, I had made a light frame hanging from the ceiling just low enough to not be a head banger to hold all the side trim (mostly stainless) for the three different models of '58's I have. Well... the very back frame had come loose from one of the Racoon's weight and while nothing was bent, some of them were on that pile you see and on the trunk of the car.  

It was good to see after all these years some of the NOS stuff I had collected in OK condition.

IMG_2521.thumb.JPG.851b0172532119477e2cd53c10adec7b.JPG

IMG_2520.thumb.JPG.86a58506b47328d881e694528625d077.JPG

These two front fender side mouldings are for the Limited and if I recall correctly the ones that came with the car were not bad but... they are around somewhere?

IMG_2526.thumb.JPG.57387750e306c15882ba9920734aa73c.JPG

IMG_2525.thumb.JPG.241eccb0f57d0a81164cc88f0d72038b.JPG

I had made an honest effort on this car after I brought it home from storage and put her in the garage. Digging around the back I found various sheet metal parts that I had cleaned and painted.

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.00c74a5c11e0add9e1bc1c034dcfc165.JPG

IMG_2533.thumb.JPG.ec5593e742b65bea832cc890cf4794f6.JPG

Plus other Limited specific parts.

IMG_2527.thumb.JPG.48c28309706129773153123166e7caa9.JPG

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.765df16ac223c8f510b2d3003360bb29.JPG

FINALLY, things were at the point I could get around the back, open the trunk and found I had put the cardboard sides from both the parts car and this one flat inside along with my long lost electric car polisher. There you can see also the reconditioned rad and shroud which has survived the unwanted tenants.

IMG_2534.thumb.JPG.1748a88a108df01ce12e66997be634cd.JPG

Sadly, the transmission objective was a failure! It was not laying on the floor like I had thought. :(

I was hoping upon hope that it was not in the very corner but... sure enough!

I made my way back on the other side where I had found the other '57 transmission before and after moving what I could, peaked behind some stuff and THERE IT IS! 

Disappointing but... have decided to air up the tires, drop the car down and roll it out to get at the thing (plus clean up the stuff covering it and fix the trim brackets that failed to put back the trim that is now lying together on the side (out of the way but...).

Went in for supper leaving things where they were expecting to continue as the temperature had reached 56 degrees! :) 

During dinner the phone rang and it was my son asking how I was making out. I heard in his voice something was up and sure enough didn't his starter screw up and he was waiting for the tow truck to bring it home and he wanted to give me a heads up since he wanted to park it under the tarp to change it out himself.

With having just finished school and waiting on a response to a job application, money is tight and just like when I was his age, turning a wrench yourself is the only choice.

That was the end of my effort for the transmission find for today as I had to move / load the stuff I had out back inside to make room for his truck.

Timing was just right when I finished as the tow truck finally came. Mark had a three and a half hour wait for CAA (US AAA counterpart). Such is the way of service today... 

IMG_2535.thumb.JPG.62956f7278e2029c000e39b885dcc02d.JPG

The plan for tomorrow is to gather up some metal I have in the back yard waiting for enough to make a trip worthwhile and then come back, see how Mark is doing and start to lower the Limited on her feet in preparation to roll her outside. 

That's the plan... will see how that plays as starting Friday it is supposed to rain and the temps are to drop down into the 20's again over night and stay there for all next week.

One small step forward...

• Like 3

On 12/01/2018 at 4:36 AM, dei said:

That's the plan...

To catch up, today is Sunday afternoon and as usual had to adjust. 

Friday we all woke up to temps only 21 degrees, knew until my boy's truck was fixed, getting back in the garage (even warmly dressed) was going to be impossible till maybe sometime in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

Kid's!?.....

As cold as it started out, he said he had thermal underwear on but... clothing looked awfully light for laying on the somewhat wet cold concrete, but what does Dad know right?

5a5ba470e591e_Marks2003Fordtruck-January122018.thumb.JPG.6b1dd9315fc30200c86964f51e4068c6.JPG

Dang if the wind picked up and by 11 am it was down to 12 degrees! :(

Changing a starter is only a one man job so I took off after loading up 200 lbs of scrap steel and a few Special specific parts to take over to the other garage. 

While there Mark calls me to say his battery is completely dead and did I have the battery jumper pack there? 

That thing had lost it's ability to hold a charge four years ago and had tossed it out but do have a spare battery on the shelf I keep up for just that need. So, back home to answer that COD for help request.

With his truck pulled in the problem was having cables long enough to reach my battery if we used my truck so the portable spare battery was the answer.

Once connect it started right away so he was successful but COLD!! ^_^

Left to the Metal Recycle place, cashed in a whole 14 bucks :P and after putting gas in my truck went home. It was just too dang cold to spend a few hours out so went back to desk work warm and cosy.

End of that day...

Saturday 6am...

It was 0 degrees out with wind chill showing -25! :o The decision was made for me as to work out in the garage today... NOT!

Later that morning I received a call from my friend who has let me drive some of his cars asking if I wanted to join him for dinner with the gang that does the weekly cruise-in's and does a winter Social to keep in touch.

Joe drove and we were there for 5pm to hear they were expecting 40 or so. Some of the wives came which meant the conversation was well rounded and good to actually get to know people, not just their cars.

During dinner a fellow came over to ask if we were an organised Car Club? Seems he had moved here from northern British Columbia four months ago and has a 1961 Chevrolet bubble top so looking for a connection. We took his email address and told him we would pass it to a fellow car owner (a restored Vellie) that took it upon himself to advise anyone willing to receive email all the events and car happening locally. Looks like we have another one in the fold.:)

Soon it was time to leave and head back to Joe's to get my truck. He renovated his garage awhile back insulating it and has gas forced air heat. Sure was nice to feel the heat getting out of his Jeep. 

With his permission I took some photo's for you to enjoy. I know I do! :D

(There is no Buick in there yet, but I'm working on him!)

IMG_2543.thumb.JPG.a813de43eb2f9902cfc06d30ed65292b.JPG

IMG_2544.thumb.JPG.3996c807d955761c3dc05b504ec9249d.JPG

There is a 66 Continental factory authorised 36" stretch Limo along that back wall on the very right which is undergoing a full restoration.

Truly envious of his garage...

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It's Sunday night and managed to spend some time in the garage this afternoon till 6 pm since it was in the 40's today.

After my last Safari I thought I might take the rims from my parts car that have been storing in my shed and check out having them sand blasted and powder coated. Then I was going to mount wide whitewall tires I have on them but they are quite old and two have check marks in them so obviously dry rot is in play. :( 

Going to put that on hold for now...

IMG_2554.thumb.JPG.d8aea281324cf796ba78eefa3cc37181.JPG

Next effort was to check tire pressures on the set currently on the car and found them to be about 22 lbs each which is not bad considering the years up on jacks. 

Plugged in my compressor after draining the bit of moisture in the tank and started to pump them up. Three out of four were easily accessible and held pressure at 32 lbs. The fourth is buried by the plywood and panelling I moved over to get at the first transmission...

Meantime I needed to remove the stuff my son had placed on and under the front frame as it was convenient to shove stuff in there and close the door. :rolleyes:

IMG_2576.thumb.JPG.21801305515a15dae8a9910741b97dec.JPG

For me this is huge and needs to be done first, to be able to drop the car off the jack stands and second, after moving it outside, I can then get at that other transmission buried in the corner (and clean the crap out back there!).

With the day ending fast and a late dinner, went back out to move the two boxes I had everything reduced to in front of the car and went to the back of the car. I have the complete dash and wiring harness out of the parts car up on a shelf and took this shot as I didn't remember the mileage. 

IMG_2572.thumb.JPG.792d5134f7b246121c7ca8da2cf96430.JPG

IMG_2573.thumb.JPG.96816fd4262d22577dc14637e1022b14.JPG

Both cars are identical twins in every way from interiors and options (no air) so figured saving as much as I could from the parts car was the right thing to do but... saving stuff and having room to store it is what I'm dealing with at the movement.

Before I drop her down I have to locate the steering damper I took off the column to replace the dry rotted rubber other wise there will be no steering so that will be the next assignment for tomorrow night. 

• Like 2

What a motivator when the temperature hits 50 degrees! :)

One job I needed to completed is the steering column vibration damper since the one on the Limited was dried and cracked.

I had taken it off knowing the one on the parts car was serviceable.

IMG_2586.thumb.JPG.8414e676cbc11b4a3eb7a7e02042bad5.JPG

I had taken the complete dash and steering column out of the parts car awhile ago but needed to take the damper off so today was the day.

IMG_2577.thumb.JPG.f94268c61fdfdf95a9e1ceb297083183.JPG

With some PB Blaster and giving it 10 minutes to do it's thing, those nuts came loose with just a slight bit of muscle.

IMG_2585.thumb.JPG.6636286480ad0c7f88dbaee10c39b858.JPG

Will need to unbolt the steering box to fit this in place and bolt together making sure the steering wheel is in its proper place.

Still cleaning things up but seeing some progress to getting her on her feet again. Checked the front tires and they are holding pressure.

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.1e200c58e629116f1b07c6bcb6f38169.JPG

• Like 1

Went over to the Special to look for the new steering column damper I bought from Cars and decided to fire up the Special. Poured a little gas down the carb as I was pretty sure that it would have drained down. After the second attempt away she went. Once she warmed up enough to kick off the choke thought, why not drive it home as it had rained all day yesterday and today the sun was out full and the roads were dry.

Came home to find both boys were home and they were curious as to what I was about to do.

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.0daae17b3e0ccb27ca7b77e779354c94.JPG

Sure felt good to drive her again. :)

While looking the car over one of them said, "Dad, you know your license sticker is expired right?" 

Oops! It has been so long since having the car on the road regularly that I forgot with my birthday in January I have to buy another one for 2018! 

(Will take the back (long) way to her garage before dark.)

Meanwhile I opened the garage door and pulled the usual things out of the way, uncovered my drill press/wire wheel rolling stand and pulled it outside. After taking the nuts and bolts off the damper setup, wire wheeled them to remove the rust in order to paint before putting things back together. 

IMG_2599.thumb.JPG.f7f76760c78b38dff77d53fab14ff41b.JPG

I opened the package with the new disk in it and started to compare things. Right off the bat noticed the pins were not the same diameter as the old ones and there was no hex on the new one which is used to tighten the nuts up...

IMG_2600.thumb.JPG.7c377053452fb6823d8cbdeca08a632f.JPG

I'm a bit undecided as to using the new disk seeing that made in China sticker... :rolleyes:

Next had to try and line the column up with the steering box and realised I have to loose the whole column and lift it up to have enough clearance to get the disk and pins in position.

Shot what was needed to be done with paint and left it for the night to dry. 

Then it was time to take the Special back to her garage. B)

Not huge but a small step forward.

IMG_2601.JPG

• Like 1

Trying to keep up beat about the plunge back into winter, thought I'd share a nice thing that happened the day I drove the Special home.

Just as I backed out of her garage and put my foot on the brake to park and close the garage door my cell phone rings.

The man introduces himself as Tony and explains he found me in the Roster. Call display confirmed it wasn't an Ad Call. :lol: 

Shoved the Special in Park and with further conversation understood he has a '58 Limited 4 door hardtop and was looking for a decent gas tank. While his was not leaking it has gained a dent at some time and he would like to replace it. Unfortunately my parts car tank went to service another Buick a friend of mine has (but hasn't seen the road for many years now) so wasn't able to help him.

I had to tell Tony at one point how timely his call was as I actually was sitting in my Special warming her up and going to go for a ride.

Later he sent me an email with a picture of his Limited attached. 

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.eb74c8f1edd7383e7a2887a491475532.JPG

Pretty sweet looking car for a "driver" as he calls it!

He is about three hours east of me and has informed me that he and his wife are planning on coming to a Car show in Chatham, Ontario (an hour from me) in May so guess I will be going too! 

Come on Spring!

• Like 5

Hey Doug,

Yes, with your rag joint, it is a bit of a bugger to get the new one back in place, as the diameter for the pins are smaller. The part is a very common GM part, and one can buy it from the local AutoZone, O'Rielly, NAPA parts guys. I think my kit cost about $15-18 USD with all the new bolts, pins etc.

I've done it with the Old Bessie (Sedan) and just recently with the Wagon. Always good insurance when you are working on the steering. Just make sure to tighten them up each a little at a time, and also, it works better if the steering column is loose, or disconnected from the dash. It will set better between the steering shaft and the steering gear, then attach the steering column back to brackets (cowl duct) and IP/Dash connection. Just giving you a lessons learned public service announcement. Good luck!

Jim

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jim, very much appreciated!

The voice of experience does help.

Now, what is this IP/Dash connection you mention?

Also, I'm having difficulty getting the two bolts up into the bracket on the steering box. Not sure how they came out / off the parts car but the angle and length of the bolt doesn't allow them to go up into the holes irregardless of the position of the column which I have loosened and moved up some.

Hi Doug, 

You have to drop the column from under the dash. Take off the lower trim piece under the PNDLR and trans shift lever. Stamped metal piece, held on by 2 screws. then loosen / remove the two 9/16 nuts holding the steering column to the IP / Dash. The steering column should start to fall when you are lowering the nuts.There is a die cast bracket that "clamshells" the steering column to the IP, which is held on by the fasteners. It will all make sense when you remove the trim from under the steering column.

That should give yo enough play to work with the bracket to the cowl duct cover as well as get the rag joint installed as falt as you can. Then in the terms of the shop manual, reverse the procedure. 

Hope that explains it for you. 

• Thanks 1

Jim,

With having had a birthday this month I realise now I'm getting old! :o

The "IP/Dash" in your post drew a complete blank hence my post. Sheepishly I have to admit I thought it was a connecting thing of some kind I didn't know about and thanks for your procedure post which indeed enlightened me fully and makes just so much sense.

With today's penchant for short form texting I SHOULD have realised it means "Instrument Panel" 

SHEESH! :wacko:

(Note to self: read carefully before displaying signs of early alzheimer's ...)

Thanks for your post!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 5:50 AM, dei said:

So I had sent a picture of working in the garage on the Limited to my sister and brother-in-law down in Tennessee last week and she sent me this back.

Stuff.thumb.jpg.ab0d2dfd663fdaf2c8d5d2fc0e725d40.jpg

THANKS SIS! :P

I've got something very similar to this waiting for me. My mom doesn't want to do anything to get a start on the inevitable. So it will all be left to me and my wife to deal with when my mom is gone.

• Like 2

NOTHING has been going on with progress on the Buick's since the first of the month due to miserably cold temps and snow.

With that "Rat" predicting another 6 weeks of winter (go figure...) one surely can't say he was wrong around here this year! :wacko:

I used to have a truck with a Meyer plow unit on it for 10 years and at the start did very well with a run of 12 hours when we had a 4 inch snow fall. Towards the end of those 10 years snow became less and less to the point breaking even with the cost of repairs, fuel and insurance just wasn't worth it commercially so sold the truck and bought a snow blower just doing residential jobs.

Three weeks ago my 7 year old unit broke down with a seized engine and needed to keep going so purchased a used unit found in a classified ad and so far keeping up.

5a7c42c3a80b4_Scofield-February72018-pic2.thumb.JPG.d4c5e001663636f3e30d7a4ae1eec3c7.JPG

Normally it is on the trailer under a cover ready to go but this supposedly 1-2 inch prediction this day caught us by surprise ending up with 5 inches! It started right up with the pull cord (it has an electric start via 110 house current) and with forward and reverse gearing and proper clothing, is keeping me somewhat fit and NOT a couch potato. :D

Will be testing it's durability once again tomorrow night as a front is coming from Chicago way and we are expecting some 6-9 inches... :o

What has all this got to do with my Buick's you ask? 

Directly nothing except it is the "LIFE GETS IN THE WAY SOMETIMES" kind of thing keeping me from staying with a plan in mind. 

I need that wheel nut off the parts car to complete dropping the Limited in the garage on her feet, then get the "rag joint / vibration damper" on before I can move it out to gain access to the transmission back in the corner... With 7 inches of snow on the ground around the parts car now and another 6-9 inches coming, it might be April before there is some progress??

What's that saying, "Life is like a box of chocolates." :lol:

Stay tuned...

• Haha 1

On 02/02/2018 at 6:16 PM, Bleach said:

I've got something very similar to this waiting for me. My mom doesn't want to do anything to get a start on the inevitable. So it will all be left to me and my wife to deal with when my mom is gone.

The last two years when Dad got his diagnoses, there was much discussion about their life time accumulations (same house for 55 years). While he did clean up some things in his shops, the life time house hold items were still all in place.

It will be coming up one year this March that we lost Dad and boy has Mom been busy. 

At 90 and still driving I'm starting to call her Mohamid (which is a good thing) as she is planning on moving into a nearby "Retirement Home" some day "when she is ready" she says. :D

Bleach, I wish you all the best with your Mom, meantime enjoy the time you have together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the forecast now predicting 10 inches by Saturday night I filled up the gas tanks and greased the moving parts on the Snow Blower as it will be getting a work out in the next few days.

I decided to look at the parts car with the bit of slack time thinking I might take off that spindle nut. This is the closest I got to that effort with the current snow around it...

5a7ce149cab7e_1958Limited-February82018-partscar-Driversside.thumb.JPG.840f1ccf894c7043ecbb41de30b9ce41.JPG

24 hours later and the question is, Are we having fun yet?

Walked out to the parts car this afternoon to shoot this shot.

5a7e0ec68d78f_ScofieldAve-February92018-pic2.thumb.JPG.00563ddae4e5f0d5f0a8afbe1db52fc9.JPG

5a7e105e80987_ScofieldAve-February92018-pic3.thumb.JPG.fb65aed6a41e6b044452e97110335c38.JPG

This was around 1:30 and after warming up a bit need to go back out to put in two new shear bolts in the snow blower auger!! :angry: 

Caught a rubber mat that is down for my wife to walk on due to rough concrete...

Snow is to continue till sometime after 7pm. Then we are to get 2-3 on inches on Saturday and Sunday's prediction is for something like 4-5 more.

I'm not the only one getting this naturally. This storm is huge covering from west of Chicago drawing a line through to Detroit continuing on to almost Toronto. 

Did some one say something about Global Warming? 

To continue:

Snow fall started around 7 am and didn't end until about 9 pm. Longest storm I can remember!

With no wind there was no drifting fortunately as it was only 18 degrees. 

Shot of the snow blower fix. Once again the boys rolling tool box came in handy.

5a7ee9cfe0253_ScofieldAve-SnowBlower-February92018-pic1.thumb.JPG.01ac0e40a56c051991a1866c7c4daaae.JPG

With this shot yo can see that mat I got caught in the auger breaking the shear bolts. (Better them I guess than bending or breaking the actual auger :unsure:)

5a7eeab50a3f7_ScofieldAve-SnowBlower-February92018-pic2.thumb.JPG.dc539e7a3856807237fe80caf63e5666.JPG

At this point I had already shovelled those steps, blew out my driveway and two other neighbours plus cleared the road at the end of the driveway just to be able to back the truck and trailer up into the driveway!

If you notice the plastic covering it has snow on it. I had cleaned it off the night before in anticipation of the snow staring earlier and did not want it to collapse. Then I cleaned it just before lunch and starting the snow blower. At this point you can see it needs it again, it was that steady a snow fall... 

Have to head back out today to clear driveways that the plows likely have shoved back off the road! :(

tbc...

• Like 1

After three days of snow totalling almost 13 inches and dealing with the heavy slush the City plows back in the clean driveways, spend the afternoon cleaning up the truck, trailer and snow blower in theory being ready for the next bit (?) of snow fall..

Thankfully even starting out at only 19 degrees this morning the sun was shinning and by Thursday temperature is supposed to be in the low 40's! :)

That will be helpful in clearing the eaves troughs of the ice and snow that I had hoped will disappear after scraping a few feet off the roof's of my house, garage, Mom's and one other customer yesterday.

IMG_2630.thumb.JPG.4850bc41d600ca45caf48805a6904b0f.JPG

One can feel heat in that sun (maybe just in my mind? :unsure::D)

So in anticipation of "a heat wave" decided to dig my way back to the parts car to take advantage of getting at that wheel nut I need.

IMG_2632.thumb.JPG.1623bbc27e300880e71593477f3ea580.JPG

I figure if I start to dig in there which should aid with the melting of the snow, "the land mine stuff" that is buried around there will be obvious and not hurt myself?

5a8207edb4730_1958Limited-February122018-pic3.thumb.JPG.26877b812fc62a95235e069dd6d76099.JPG

Meantime, tomorrow will spend the day in the garage working on that "rag joint" should the orders from Head Quarters not come into play.

As far as I'm concerned Access is granted! :lol:

IMG_2636.thumb.JPG.148b0a7691a428dddbb5686d591d1915.JPG

• Like 2

Love it when the forecast is spot on! :)

Got up to 43 degrees today and stole an hour from the "honey do list" to get that darned wheel nut off the parts car.

Grabbed a few tools from the boys tool box after opening up the garage.

IMG_2639.thumb.JPG.494fa4656d2000e2cdcef20a7bc41b1e.JPG

With tight access, getting down to get at that cap off meant I had to sit on the snow... (Not as young as I used to be... but still stubborn enough to get it done! Kneeling is not an option.)

IMG_2641.thumb.JPG.2e916be5ed6ba0a27c0d8c50ac6b64ab.JPG

Not a technically difficult job at all but took me back for a moment. It has been almost 35 years since I have taken this wheel nut off and did a brake job on her... :o

IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.aa642ee20c06c19c1c05f753d530e43d.JPG

Put the cap back on to protect the wheel bearings which I believe are still good but by now my arse was getting wet so needed to move on! 

Took the wheel nut into the garage to put on the "missing in action" one on the good Limited and can say from experience now that the drivers side wheel nut is a left hand thread!

IMG_2646.thumb.JPG.7b03c31a97057ac0cd0073e5d422975d.JPG

Adjusted the tension on the wheel bearings lightly and buttoned things up for now.

IMG_2647.thumb.JPG.01890fcca4997faa602fb76565b4e6c6.JPG

Next will be that rag joint (steering damper gasket) before I drop her on the ground and be able to roll her out but tomorrow, will be a much anticipated Road Trip! :)

• Like 3

My Road Trip somehow went off as planned and what a great day! :)

I crossed the Border heading over to 95Cardinal's for a visit and offer a helping hand on his 1958 Buick Caballero wagon. 

IMG_2652.thumb.JPG.91ab0a3df5861511c4bff6475c057b02.JPG

I won't spoil Joe's thread with too many of my pictures here but man what a beautiful car this is!!

Great day with looking over his stash of restored ready to bolt on parts, having a good lunch meeting up with 57BuickJim, heading back to sort out and place the fan motor and shroud on the firewall, a short trip to a great hardware store and getting together with Larry Schramm seeing his Buick truck collection! :D

I even got lucky heading home that traffic was moving steady considering it was the rush hour and no quick close calls but glad I left when I did as the fog was setting in heavy by the time I crossed. Although, the Michigan freeway "three lane change" to get to the off ramp is always a throat clencher... Clearly defines the phrase "Drive it like you stole it."

Wish the Buick Chapter in Flint was closer to me as I miss the direct fellowship and sharing of cars but these Forums (technology) has helped greatly!

Likely would not have met these fine guys without it.

Can't wait for Spring! 

• Like 1

Needed to go over to the garage with the Special today as the forecast is for major rain Monday and Tuesday. The trench I made two years ago has helped but wanted to dig out the ice, snow and left over leaves from the Fall just to be safe. It's low back there so every little bit helps with the water.

IMG_2666.thumb.JPG.3379e44c76eb8337b2b20ef94c98420b.JPG

Headed home after that to get at the rag joint on the Limited and managed to make some progress. With being only 34 degrees today and the garage door open, the fingers can take only so much.

IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.126003b2498eb7c0da2ba76c149b6ce1.JPG

Managed to get it bolted in place but need to reattach the bracket holding the column in place on the firewall.

IMG_2672.thumb.JPG.c1988426f61de44cc17acfcc3ff28fde.JPG

After that bracket is reattached I'm going to drop the front down off the jack stands and proceed clearing stuff out from under the back end.

IMG_2676.thumb.JPG.785725ece448be863d9daa0bb72ed19f.JPG

Then once rolled outside it is on to the mission of unearthing that transmission buried back in that far left corner. 

• Like 2

It's 7 am and not much sleep last night listening to heavy rain at times and dealing with a veery sore throat...

After my coffee plan on dressing properly (its already 55 and going up) and drop the Limited down on the front since there is a four hour window between rain fronts. Even if I get her fully down, not sure I will push her out under the wife's parking tent just yet. :unsure:

A sore throat is one thing, a sore wife is.... worse!:o

• Like 1

Took my coffee and drove over to the other property to check for water before starting at the Limited. 

Fortunately the garage floor is dry but my trench has rapids in it! :o

Happy it's doing it's job thought. :)

IMG_2680.thumb.JPG.4ddd79aca7fbd4cc5c59e2c292407ee9.JPG

Headed back to open the Limited garage up and proceed there.

Moved just about everything from around and under the car before slipping the jack under and pulling out those front jack stands.

IMG_2682.thumb.JPG.f8cc5e8daf402e8bf147f40a80084a6e.JPG

Had to cover things under the parking hut just in case as the wind started up some and Lord Knows my boy would NOT be happy his stuff needed to be wiped down...

The front of the car is now lowered but it was time for a hot coffee and a throat lozenger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

You don't have to pull it all the way out of the garage, do you?  

Possibly might get away with only half way out but there is stuff that is back there and behind the car that really needs to go, so it would be better to have a clear shot and not put any more scratches in the paint.

• Like 1

During Lunch my boy came home too and saw what I had been up too. I was good there (for a change) and went back out to lower the front of the car. The rain started again but at least came down straight.

IMG_2686.thumb.JPG.e1e88cc03e612173bfc5d40e324c8d7f.JPG

Once the stands were out of the way I started looking for stuff under the back end as that long overhang of hers was actually raised quiet a bit with the rear stands in place making it easier.

I had moved some plywood and panelling along the wall onto the side of the car looking for that first transmission so squeezed in there to move it back off the car. Before I moved them though I noticed the rad cradle and the inner fender / battery side and took it out as they would need to be moved anyway.

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.f48b8256306d0dc577693ef2a354c148.JPG

Squeezing between the car with them and NOT scratching the paint is exactly why I need to pull the whole car out plus to be able to get at that broken rack you see. Some good stainless trim is still in there and don't need it bent.

Guess I had sanded the rad cradle and put primer on it but if you look closely there is rust out on the right hand side that I didn't have fixed. Placed it resting on the frame for now and will see if my son will attempt some welding? (Not my thing)

IMG_2687.thumb.JPG.66cd5a164e78da1c088fec8190f897ed.JPG

The Inner fender panel has the usual rust out on the battery box so maybe two projects for him...

IMG_2688.thumb.JPG.de9d7d9f6873e34a3e86a4039bdafdeb.JPG

At this point I was able to drop the rear end. Suddenly the drivers door opens easier... 

Going to the back, posturing the next step?

IMG_2692.thumb.JPG.8391e689dee5e8f1403d881fae040c2c.JPG

Cleaning up is mandated!

Feeling a bit feverish by now I tried to roll her out a bit but... even with the transmission and engine out not an easy roller yet. Determined to get this done grabbed a ratchet strap and hooked up to the truck as an anchor. I got some movement and success! 

IMG_2693.thumb.JPG.99a4dd189d2a4b862755dbc794c6acb4.JPG 

That was enough room to get me at the back and clean up some racoon treasures and insulation!

ANYONE NEED RED 1978 VINYL TRUCK SEAT? It's going OUT!

IMG_2691.thumb.JPG.731ad09b648bd6a49b043c54c8e388e4.JPG

That was enough for today and enlisted help from my son to push her back into place for now. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be rain all day too but a bit colder.

Need to get feeling better with that, the humidity and sweating (me too) is not a good thing for metal but happy about the progress today. Might have a hot toddy after supper...

• Like 4

Decided to see if I could pull the Limited out of the garage today. Since it wasn't supposed to rain pushed stuff out of the way and tied a rope to the trailer hitch on my truck. 

IMG_2702.thumb.JPG.43f94815c040cb848056ba1b0f52e1b7.JPG

Being by myself I dragged it carefully and but not all the way out.

IMG_2715.thumb.JPG.5e5168bbd848f219a8c4d3fa61d10ac8.JPG

Thankfully the driveway is level and the car sits where I stop with no fear of rolling into my truck. 

I went back inside and started the effort to unearth the transmission along the wall. :(

IMG_2703.thumb.JPG.3c9bcb94f18d71e68e227f2710b88666.JPG

FINALLY the goal was in sight! ;)

IMG_2706.thumb.JPG.9faa31e481d1103408cdc741cbb00e58.JPG

After carefully propping the one next to the yellow covered engine block I was able to verify it indeed is the correct '58 yoke I need to bring down to Jim when I get the call he is finished with the rebuild.

IMG_2714.thumb.JPG.6bd58be3a57f4f4bbb5d09aef3ced506.JPG

Putting it in park and using a thin wall 3/4 inch deep socket it came loose easily.

IMG_2716.thumb.JPG.ba74a2c87b91dc0c274cc4d01acb9735.JPG

Putting it safely aside I continued with the cleaning up of the mess on the floor and at the back wall. I took the fender out to the front of the car and hung it loosely to check it over. It is a solid fender rust wise but is going to need some work as it has some damage on the upper front side.

IMG_2719.thumb.JPG.1468b22d87aa0aec3364cec98023fed8.JPG

By now it is well after 2pm and needed to fix that rack where a lot of trim is while there was access. That took a bit of innovation without clearing everything off but finally had it back to normal with some help from my son who returned with my trailer from a run to the  dump.

IMG_2724.thumb.JPG.7537d27dee841dcc781e6288530864f9.JPG

With afternoon disappearing quickly I asked for help pushing the BOAT back inside so my wife could park underneath out of the weather tonight. The beast does not roll easy even without an engine and transmission!! :o

Will have to figure a way to hook up a block and tackle to get her back inside if I'm alone. That will be for the next time I pull her out and clean out the remaining stuff on and around that red '78 Chevy truck seat.

I need that extra space back there. If the front bumper was on the car, the garage door would not be able to close. :wacko:

Meantime I'm now ready for another road trip :)

• Like 2

It was 51 degrees and sunny today which brings cars out for a drive this time of year.

While thinking about doing just that my phone rang and a friend asked if I was home. He was out for drive in in 1965 Buick Gran Sport and wanted to drop by.

IMG_2726.thumb.JPG.dcef6655f02755f927de01bd78bce5e8.JPG

Other than those wheels and tires this is a numbers matching car with dual four barrel carb option.

IMG_2725.thumb.JPG.3a9748f5caa80178568c53a7c967a7a8.JPG

Painted / restored and on the road in 2005 it is driven when ever the weather is good. This is no trailer Queen.

IMG_2728.thumb.JPG.7379928a5a9367275a0bfe1a7d2198c2.JPG

Good way to spend an hour or two and get some fresh air. :)

• Like 1

Last two days were sunny and in the low 60's. Unusual...

Naturally my phone rings with the sun out and work is coming in which is both a blessing and curse. Will be starting another year of balancing work and play which again means the cars come second at times.

Thinking about this I called Jim to see where he was with my transmission and found out he had slipped on some ice 6 weeks ago and was somewhat out of commission for awhile! At first it seemed he didn't break anything but after this amount of time the healing is slower than expected and there is further investigation to be done. Good luck Jim!  

The good news was that what he has found internally with the transmission so far shows it is indeed a low mileage unit and nothing out of the ordinary in regards to wear. 

When I purchased it from Lance and seeing it came from his Roadmaster with 50,000 something miles I pondered just cleaning up the exterior and taking a chance putting it in the Limited but... just made so much sense to get it gone over now. To have to pull it out after everything was back together well, with my timeline history, now just makes so much sense. 

That road trip will be "down the road" when Jim calls me to say he is finished with the rebuild which is OK as I have another project at home here that has been on the back burner for some time. It involves preparing access to the back of the property for a contractor to repair my retaining wall. It is too wet for him right now but as soon as things dry out he wants to be able to get going for his other seasonal work too and not be held up. 

Balancing act, Here I go.

Three days since my last post and the weather has done it's usual seasonal up and down changes.

Thursday morning it was raining steady and the temperature was around 43. While doing a job it changed to huge wet snow flakes and by the end of the day had to scrape the snow off the truck windshield before heading home. No rides in the Special for a day or two...:(

However,

Have had a PM from JohnD1956 posing a friendly challenge for us both to put 2,500 miles on our Buick's this year. :) 

I have two Car Shows on my Planner in May and June for sure that will take me out of town so will see how it adds up as the summer goes on. Might be interesting if we could meet half way at some point?? 

As the saying goes, "Let The Good Times Roll".

One of the things I came across while moving the Limited out was this tail light lens which had been on the floor for awhile. Took the opportunity to clean and polish it up since it's only 36 out today. It will go on the Special since I have a piece knocked out on the passenger side rear. 

It's not perfect (around the screw holes) but cleaned up nicely using some polish and nice soft rags.

IMG_2732.thumb.JPG.64a5318194fad843da5067444bb30fee.JPG

Sadly the chrome strip is pitted badly but the chrome still has some shine to it which would do for a driver if someone had one that was worse or broken.

IMG_2731.thumb.JPG.cdcf93b5f5fee42aa113ac3153695284.JPG

• Like 1