ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Yes it sure does Lance! 

Every day I drive her it not only gives me confidence in the dependability but "takes me back".

I never dreamt in my wildest dreams 45 years ago imagined I'd be retracing the county roads in her but also with one of my sons who also has kept his first car! B)

594ff0d6e63f3_1991Mustang-comingoutofstoragefor2017season-pic1.thumb.JPG.e138155b5463e193120c99c43a8e7266.JPG

3 hours ago, lancemb said:

So which one is next?!

After I have sorted out a few issues needing attention (like possibly a new battery which needs to be on the charger about every three or four days between drives) and keeping an eye on the tires, I'd have to say it would be the Limited.

While the car I have is not my original Limited, if you see pictures of them, they are identical in every aspect.

594ff8cbdc180_1958BuickLimited-April41993-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.1b17626b984b7d308173ee924b976cc7.jpg

So, with that car being on the road someday I can say I have both my first car and my second cars still. The fact they are both '58 Buick's is kind of special (no pun intended :lol:) too.

And once I get the Roadmaster convert on the road, have imagined the day when my boys and their girls and me and my wife drive up to a show or event together with all three. 

That thought helps keep me going some.

Still going to be baby step though. After all, it only took twelve years to get the Special going again. 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I just must repeat myself... At least I think that I have said it once already. But I admire your enthusiasm, your passion and your spirit with your B-58's. You are a great motivation for me!

And I love the feeling to cruise around during late night with all the streetlights shining from the top of the hood. Keep up!

• Like 1

Thank you.

For me it has been a life long passion and with certain events this past year, decided I was missing that feeling of cruising again so.... at the sacrifice of a few things, just made the effort to be "On The Road Again" (think Willie Nelson song here :)).

I must state that being around this group of Buick owners, reading their stories and learning from their experiences has been a big part for me too! They are a very knowledgeable and supportive gang and that has helped me. 

Glad you are moving along on your Super!

Take it one step at a time and next you will know, you will be Cruising one night and say, Isn't this Magnificent? !!! B)

• Like 2

One night last week I started a check list of things I need to verify / check "if" we are driving the Special to the National.

One of those things was checking the spare tire. Sure enough it is flat! Tried pumping it up with my compressor (a portable unit) and it would not hold air while all four road tires did well while being in storage?:huh:

Took her out of the car and brought it to my garage with a spare powder coated rim I had purchase at a meet in Ohio a few years ago just in case the old rim was defective.

Sure enough, they had to switch as the old rim just would not hold air.

I asked about the condition of this tire and he said that it was pliable, showing no tread separation or side wall cracks so it should be fine. They are not new so... will be looking for any signs of deterioration! 

IMG_1522.thumb.JPG.720b901b46b7353d997dac7550cf1678.JPG

Now, all my rims are painted red and with this one black, you just know I had to change it!

Grabbed a new brush and a can of what was labelled 'Fire Engine gloss Red". It's a spare right? If it is off well....

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.e09f68b676ef6f91a9e4901acf33454c.JPG

Like the rest of the car, at 30 feet, not sure anyone will notice the difference.

Actually, should consider redoing all the others but not sure there is time.

While waiting for paint to dry, looked around the shelves in the garage and noticed some bubble wrap. Sure enough don't I find four hub caps I had planned on putting on the car.

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.6e7538eb39222eaaa61260bf6d021df7.JPG

Those two on the right are NOS and had forgot about purchasing them....

I love the scratched out price (believe it was $15) and writing $20 bucks! I likely paid what was written as they are perfect.

IMG_1527.thumb.JPG.33d5da375a2a44bd3b29d15ee3a8260c.JPG

Shoot, the re-pop emblems alone are about $80 bucks each today!

Next......

• Like 2

WELL........

I have been taking the Special out as often as I can justify with the intention to drive her to the National and sort out any issues before we leave next week.....

I finished a bit early today and after getting a call from an Upholstery Business I actually do business with who said he had finished a chair I left for him, decided to drive her over before they closed. I left it running while completing my transaction and noticed a strong smell from the exhaust which he commented on too.

Pulled out heading towards home and.....

somewhat close to home doesn't she die on me! :o

Suspecting the fuel filter, I had to pull into the center lane as she would not turn over again! Fortunately I had a spare battery in the trunk and carry a good set of jumper cables but.... 

Dang it if she would not fire and wore both batteries down.....

Have to say, I was offered a boost by a woman who turns out, has an automotive paint supply store close by but....

The fuel just was not coming up in the clear fuel filter! 

Oh Ya, didn't mention the fact I started out with the top down and somewhat sunny skies but... doesn't it turn dark and before getting a chance to decide what to do? the skies OPEN UP and I was scrambling to get the top and windows up!!!! 

Two hours later (and soaked to the bone) she was back in the garage.

IMG_1528.thumb.JPG.3a6a7c40672568e3b4c05b2210e3cccc.JPG

While having mixed feelings about this, the decision has been made that she is not going to be able to attend this years National.:blink:

With the Holiday weekend and no spare fuel pump, can't imagine enough time to get things in order so... my wife and I will be coming in our mini van with our Forum Name on our tags anyway. ;)

Such is they way of OLD CARS.

Actually, glad this happened close to home and NOT on an Interstate Highway!

Maybe next year for the car?....

You know Brian, that's funny you should ask that as my wife and I were having coffee this morning she asked the same thing :huh:....... 

IT WILL ABOUT KILL ME IF I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT SHE (AND YOU) WERE RIGHT!! 

However, after we finish breakfast I'm going to slink on over to the garage first to check and then going to my local parts place and see bout the chances of having a new pump anyway. 

• Like 1

Just got back from checking in with mom and looking at the Special.

Tried to start the car and the battery had about two revolutions and then totally died.

Pulled my Ford truck up and put the cables on her. Let it rev (blocked the pedal) for awhile to give the battery a chance to come up some. This time it was better but... I think it is cooked as I pulled off all the caps and could see the top of the cells were not covered with fluid. 

I had a bottle of battery water so topped them up to cover the plates, put my charger on it and decided to check the gas tank. 

With the filler neck built the way it is to access from the center of the bumper, not able to put a stick into the tank and check the level but.... tapping the tank, sounds like the Grand Canyon so.... headed to the station with a 5 gallon can as suggested.

Boy.... Last Tuesday the price of regular was 97 cents per litre. Today the price was 1.06 cents per litre! Imagine, it just happens to be the Holiday weekend and being a border city, how coincidental the price went up today?

I paid 1.28 per litre for premium and that 5 gallon can cost me 28.50 to fill!!!

Understand John you feel the pinch filling up your fleet! It is bad enough when it hits the pocket book but when it stares you in the face like this,....

Going to relax now, mix a caesar and listen to some music while I wait for the battery to hopefully come back up. 

Will go back after supper and check things out. At least the rain is gone.

Ben,

July 1 is our Holiday (Canada Day) so things are closed today and likely Monday too with various Union Contracts so will plug along with what I can for now. My fuel filter is an inline clear plastic one which I can see if fuel is coming up and without enough power to turn it over for some time not sure for certain it is the pump but.... kinda figure.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm.....

Seems the AACA site was down this weekend and would not let me in till now.

I made it to one parts store Sunday on my way to the Special and naturally, the oldest their system goes back is 1962. Surprisingly the young fellow brought out an old book, looked up a sheet with codes on it and searched two other sources he said carried old car parts.

When he got to the the fuel section and '58 Buick it did show the pump to block gasket as available but... n/a on the actual pump. 

Figured that as a matter of course, but it was worth a try.

Thanked him for the efforts and carried on over to the car.

Checked the battery charger and the dial showed it was not needing the 2 amps so figured it had taken some charge and looked at the cells and watched as the fluid was bubbling some....

I grabbed an empty pop bottle, put some gas in it, had my fire extinguisher handy and poured some down the carb. She turned over like it should and caught after a few turns but stalled as the gas wasn't coming up into the fuel filter. Decided to give it another try and this time it ran for a bit longer but again, no fuel in the filter. 

So, what do you think are the chances of finding a fuel pump at the Meet?

Funny though, I know they advertise a rebuild kit showing the parts you get but when I look at the one on my car now, it is not the type that unbolts to replace the internal parts.

Guess I must have replaced it at some point with this type (an after market?). 

IMG_1532.thumb.JPG.3292e7eb6d043d5e360c1b85c261c50e.JPG

The hunt for a new pump (or rebuilt) will be no.1 on my list when we get there on Thursday after checking in.  

Oh, Hey Adam!

Just had to get this shot on the way home. 

OK, not a Buick but... Canadian relative? :lol:

IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.0d5f7f37791aa0732100770f54942292.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Ben!

If our NAPA Store here is open today, will take this info and see. 

If not (or stock not available) will bring this info with me when we come to the Meet.

Knowing I need to drop the tank and clean it I will be getting a new sending unit/float too and correct that stuck gas gauge issue.

Nothing is a monumental fix but the timing to get it done before we leave well, business demands my time so will get her done after we come home.

One way to exhaust some frustration was to cut the low limbs over the driveway that fortunately did not tear the top while unloading the car.

IMG_1535.thumb.JPG.ac11bea0661f7e55b10f6d4710b0b6a1.JPG

Naturally one thing leads to another and with being a corner lot, decided to attack the sidewalk (before I get a City order to cleanup) and before you know it, it is 5 pm.

IMG_1533.thumb.JPG.d9d6b6e74972a6a7631b938abe4491e4.JPG

• Like 2

Napa was open today so brought the US Napa printed out sheet with the number on it and... typical Canadian system, number does not reference the pump. Mentioned to him about likely being the same pump through to 1965 and sure enough he finds one, Says it will take a week to get here. And how much I ask? It will be 58.85 plus tax (13% here cdn). 

I guess at 32.00 US plus Mich tax of 6% and then 35 cents on the dollar I'm still cheaper looking for one while either on the way to the National or coming back.....

Who knows, I might even get lucky and find one at the swap meet. 

And of course, the wife tells me our 2009 Chrysler minivan dash has some lights on it...... and one day before leaving! :P

Just the way of things Ben.

When our money is at par with yours our economy slows because trade (especially automotive) is more beneficial for Michigan to keep it over there. Then there was Free Trade etc... but lets not go too deep there.

Nobody is going to this National for free, US or Canada but my fellow Canadian Members have to add 35 - 37 Canadian cents on every US dollar we spend. 

Now, having said that, it is about "bang for the buck" and to me this is still worth every penny:) 

Just going to miss not having the experience with the Special (this time).

Long day today finishing up jobs to get away and I'm beat as it was 7 pm when I finished!:(

Still going out tonight to pack up the van and charge the GPS.

Tomorrow I will have one more job and will be there at 5:30 am to get home and double check the travel list before we are off to Wisconsin with passport in hand for the border!:)

• Like 2

It is now Monday 10th we and are home.

We have been away at the 2017 Buick National Meet since leaving last Wednesday.

With the Special resting comfortably in the garage (again) and having registered with vacation time booked, decided to drive our 2009 Chrysler mini van (which has only 30,000 miles) and loaded her up!

We hit the Ambassador Bridge right at 9 am our time and with no issues at Customs, we were on our way.

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.b10cf3cee5cc25101c2e1ac0e8061437.JPG

With light traffic and clear skies travelling was good.

Just before Kalamazoo Michigan we come across this and I say to my wife, "Bet this is going to the Meet".

IMG_1541.thumb.JPG.eb841e4a6f14e7e049b4af039044efff.JPG

The "rest areas" in Michigan are great and while taking that rest stop decided to make lunch from our fully packed cooler.

IMG_1542.thumb.JPG.3478d912ca3366427e08b5891e60f739.JPG

• Like 1

Knowing that going around / through Chicago might be an adventure sure enough, construction on I-94 around Gary Indiana proves to be something....

It took almost 2 hours to travel 40 miles before hitting our first Toll Booth.

IMG_1543.thumb.JPG.4371768247b1c8041854e46c5efa2336.JPG

Again with swiftly moving traffic things were fine until we were right at Home of the White Socks Stadium where we abruptly stopped and crept along like a snail giving me time to capture this shot!

IMG_1546.thumb.JPG.d3783f5826aaf63cbf5abb587fe63384.JPG

It wasn't too far from here we saw that the elevated trains come right up between the Freeway and stop at this station where there is a walkway over the freeway over to the Ball Park!

Big City Life!:o

IMG_1547.thumb.JPG.6b2c93d563a8a069c1a70671ae079ffe.JPG

Meantime, my wife is remembering her visits to Chicago with her class mates from Chicago way back when while in College as we approach downtown....

IMG_1549.thumb.JPG.4726f41bcd0e775b156f74f5d92a4350.JPG

Not too far later traffic started moving along fine and with a steady light rain, right at Miller Park in Milwaukee, we arrived at the Sheraton at exactly 6 pm our time (5 pm Milwaukee time with the time change) for a total of 9 hours going highway speeds of 70 mph (or more at times) in the van.

I know it would have been nice to have driven the Special to this Meet but in reality, even had she been up to it, a much different route would have had to be taken for me to be totally comfortable doing this run....

Upon checking in what do we see first?

IMG_1550.thumb.JPG.3922c797ec25cc635457f50c7cc870c9.JPG

This was only a suggestion of the things we could have only imagined to see!

Coming in that late and unloading the van the Registration Room was closed for the night so took the advice of the desk and went over to the Mall to look for a place to eat. After the long day decided to try the Fisherman's Market Place and was not disappointed! :)

Of course it helped my wife to get her bearings for shopping the next few days too... :mellow:

After getting our Registration Package Thursday morning and telling Roy the Special unfortunately was not attending, I spent the morning cruising the parking lots while my wife went back to the Mall.

I was not disappointed to find not one but two red Special's (but not their owner's) along with other early arrivals.

IMG_1554.thumb.JPG.522a2a802e80cef937fc88cb46bed34a.JPG

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.3102d29f88dd9b48f767e0394834c70b.JPG

There was a black 4dr there too but guess I did not have my camera.

As all were Special's thought mine would have fit right in.....

It must have been the heat that day or something didn't agree with me but unfortunately was not up to going out to the Forum Breakfast at Larry's Truck that evening. It sure looked fun from Mud's video!

I did however get a chance to meet some of you from these Forums during our stay and meet new people to me. It was nice to not only put a face to your ID but confirm in person my impression of you all from your postings. :)

Friday morning found me much better and continued prowling the field talking to different one's and snapping pictures. Meantime my wife was back out on a shopping mission.....

My son is a Packers Fan as is his wife. Turns out she found a pair of folding aluminium Packers chairs (reasonably priced) and shopping was fine for her so after getting together for a late lunch Friday we decided to drive to Lake Michigan.

Downtown Milwaukee was BUSY with their Summer Fest but once through that we headed north along the Lake till stopping at a beach. This was looking north.

IMG_1576.thumb.JPG.fc7355daf7c44db44b5527ae948276a7.JPG

Looking at Downtown Milwaukee.

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.5ea4eadcf10e4bfecc3a9e8fbb2340db.JPG

Being a past boater knew it was about 10 degrees cooler near the water and we enjoyed the hour we were there. 

Miss the boat but... will be putting the money that went in the hole-in-the-water vessel into a few of my "land yachts" now.

• Like 2

We did not go to the Banquet Saturday evening but I came down about mid evening and stood outside to hear some of the awards being given out.

Met a fellow, his 15 year old son and wife who just became a member who received an archival award. The smile on his face was priceless! Especially since he decided to join last minute on Monday (I think) and bring the car to be seen. He is an enthusiastic new member guys!

Tried to catch up with a few others but while talking.... missed them until heading back to the room and ran into Keith and Glenda.

We sat and chatted in the restaurant (bar...) till we decided the morning was going to come too fast.

Thanks guys for the great company and conversation!

The trip home still had a bit of construction slow down but not quite as delayed being Sunday I guess so hit the Bridge after only 8 hours on the road. Canada Customs was it's usual friendly Welcome Home self and were all unpacked by 6:30 pm.

A GREAT SHOW, WIFE WAS HAPPY AND GOOD MEETING THOSE FORUM MEMBERS AND NEW MEMBERS TO ME! :)

Not planning on Colorado but... Cleveland should likely be doable with the Special or??

• Like 4

Didn't mention the Swap Meet yet.

I was fighting restraint while my wife was out shopping at the Mall.  I could have spent my inheritance with one vendor alone! :blink:

The one thing I did splurge on was this Limited convertible model. It was the first time I have seen one with the top up.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.742124aabca3ef716dd70ac581724767.JPG

IMG_1619.thumb.JPG.3cbe42cd5e1d706db31fc015530dcf47.JPG

I have two other Limited models from this manufacturer. One is the Limited 2 door. (wish it was black like mine)

IMG_1622.thumb.JPG.f65419e62844acb14d00e03dffc85466.JPG

And the other is the Wells Fargo convertible.

IMG_1629.thumb.JPG.d0fa5a02b466cf7895d39da1709ff700.JPG

IMG_1631.thumb.JPG.075371b4fafed2ef7846ffba7f9675ea.JPG

Figured my reward for some restraint was this little bit of candy....

(that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:)

• Like 4

With taking Monday to recoup from the return home managed to put a 15 hour day in on Tuesday in order to catch up on business..... 

We are having rain and storms sporadically and about 2:30 decided to go to the Special.

With not finding a fuel pump at the Meet and figuring out what it would cost to do the order in Michigan, I decided to bite the bullet and order one here yesterday. 

Dang if it didn't come in overnight!

IMG_1632.thumb.JPG.308bf171e7816c83a30d9be23bdfced1.JPG

While it looks like a lot, remember it is in CDN funds and.... with a cost of 12.50 (cdn) added round trip to go to Michigan (to the NAPA store) it was just better to do it this way.

IMG_1636.thumb.JPG.c2a5e27c219331b3fb2d733fce0e6a05.JPG

Notice Tax here is 13% on everything in Ontario!!!!!

After getting covered to the elbow in oil and grease removing the old pump, decided to clean things up.

IMG_1634.thumb.JPG.b0f7130298e7a792b427af22cf6e2083.JPG

• Like 1

I figure it was 1983 that I changed out the fuel pump when I swapped out the engine from my Limited due to bad noisy lifters and an overheating problem on the original engine in the car.

5966d95a54684_1958BuickSpecial-April1983-eniginecleanedfrom58Limited-pic1-Copy.thumb.jpg.b8ce3a124d2b039107af056ffa8e68be.jpg

After wiping things off of the oil/grease with thinners thought, I should paint what is exposed now. 

While NOT the "SMARTIN" touch (one has to start somewhere) I went back home to look for a can of Buick green I was sure I had on the shelf still. 

Again, this was some time ago when i purchased it and after opening it thought, OMG! :o

IMG_1640.thumb.JPG.36832322466555d5ea55b9eafd2b758c.JPG

Well, sat down and started stirring and.....

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.2f4f561feb3cc1c0d676089d646c6ea5.JPG

• Like 2

I carefully painted away and read that the paint actually dries fairly quickly which it indeed did.

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.88c84de68621bbce883a54320ce1ff65.JPG

I cleaned up the surface of the pump area and installed new pump.

IMG_1643.thumb.JPG.7a6a325fe39b69ac98cf137caebbbbf5.JPG

Sure looks pretty and clean in there and I didn't get greased up on the install.

I believe the CFL bulb in my trouble light gives the impression of the rest of the engine being blue.

Didn't mention that in order to get the fuel pump out and the new one in the generator and bracket has to come off in order to twist and turn the pump out and back in due to the long actuator rod hence the decision to clean up the exposed area.

IMG_1644.thumb.JPG.b645bd85a16729f7befdeb7514bfa187.JPG

• Like 2

With things connected back up I connected the battery and with putting some gas down the carb hit the starter. 

Guess I will be in for a new battery as after the first try and noticing it was turning over slower as she cranked decided to jump her with my charged up spare battery and with a bit more gas off she went! :)

I'M ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

NOW,

Having purchased a new fuel tank sending unit at the National, will get at that next.

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.f75e197418d43c179a1157e0e4a64c9a.JPG 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Sounds good Doug!

Keith

Just finished taking the wife for a ride this evening and happy how it performed. 

Earlier today I took the battery to the place I originally purchased it from and asked to test it. All they did was put a volt meter on it and it read fully charged.

I wanted to put a load test to it to see just what it would show but they said it was a low cranking amp battery and they had one that was about 150 more cranking amps than the one I have.....

While it has been awhile since I have been in there to buy a battery, didn't recognise anyone and decided to take it home and try it for now.

So far, so good but... will see. 

My regular mechanic has a load tester so will get it over to him and see what is going on.

Jumped the gun posting to you Keith as I have pictures.

New fuel pump in, all buttoned up and out for a test drive.

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.4a11bb3a10123fe7dec02843bc632bb5.JPG

Convinced Cindy to go for a cruise after we had supper and if I believe the trip odometer (not really sure on that...) put about 55 miles on without issues.

Once we headed back into Windsor along the Detroit River pulled into a park area for a shot.

IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.549c107e4d3b8826f7c6009e85661763.JPG

We are east of downtown looking at downtown Detroit across the River.

Same parking spot now looking up river towards Lake St Clair way off in the distance between the island on the right and Michigan mainland on the left. This is the main shipping channel for the lake freighters and Salties going into Lake Huron and on into Lake Michigan. The tree line in the forefront is Belle Isle.

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.34d167fe14acd96e3ccfe61a460f978d.JPG

Need to tighten the left tail light housing as it is not quite as bright as the right side. (bad ground)

A little bit closer to downtown. T'was a beautiful evening.

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.bc964ff0e3f3b0c476988f5a26820aca.JPG

Hard to see but that is the Ambassador Bridge way down river on the very left. 

We might only be a City of about 200,000 but can say we have miles of beautiful waterfront.

In fact from here we could hear a Blues Fest going on at the Festival Plaza right in front of Caesars Casino Windsor.

IMG_1652.thumb.JPG.20556a5fdb46a5907d9122fe4d6a6479.JPG

Difficult to say but had she been running this good before the fuel pump issue, just might have driven it to Brookfield. Maybe just not on the 70 mph freeways though....

• Like 1

Doug ,

as I stated recently you American / Canadian guys sure are committed to hobby the miles you drive to meets are amazing. Have read on here some members travelling lists , been surprised , but understand now why you go so prepared , old cars are temperamental any long journeys tend to bring problems to the fore.

• Like 1

Doug, if you can get Cindy or someone else to assist, you can put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and check the voltage while cranking.  If it's 10 volts or better you should be fine.  9 volts is starting to get iffy,  If battery voltage is good but cranking is slow, then I'd repeat the test only measuring voltage at the starter.  Also check the voltage drop between the starter case (ground) and the negative battery terminal.  High resistance in the ground circuit will reduce the voltage available at the starter motor.  I added a separate ground strap between the engine block and body on my '56 Bel Air to ensure a good ground.

• Like 1