ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Thanks John.

No it wasn't a hit and run and edited my post some. 

A van had started to come out of a driveway on my left as I was travelling along and because it had stopped but then moved as I was right at his front, I glanced left and then immediately noticed brake lights in front of me. I reacted by turning the wheel to the left, jamming on my brakes in an attempt to avoid hitting that car but.... it happened all too quick!

Ultimately, one is supposed to have one's vehicle under control at all times under the law but....

Once I recovered noticed the van turn into the on coming traffic, sped up to the turn lane further up ahead ahead and go left. Even the driver of the car I hit on his left rear corner said he could not believe the van was pulling out like that.

It was a very frigid cold night (7 above) and here it seems if all vehicles can drive away from an event, the police do not come out to do the report. They told us all to exchange information and report to a Collision Reporting Centre in the City the next morning.

To add insult to (no) injury, when I got home that night went for my cell phone and in the flurry of things had lost it! My son and I went right back in a vain attempt to find it but no luck.

I have sufficient insurance coverage for the truck and will be picking up a rental next week after the adjuster comes so the material things can be fixed, it could have been worse, even at City traffic speeds.

There goes my 35 years with a clean "at fault" driving record, with my first ever new vehicle no less.

Met with the Adjuster early today, agreed on a Collision Shop and was supplied a truck to rent while the work on my truck is done.

IMG_0890_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Talk about overkill! :o It's all I can do at 6ft 4inches to get my cheeks onto the seat with out running boards.......

Trust everyone had a good Xmas!:)

With all our family managing to be together (even though work schedules played in the equation for the kids) we were blessed by the fact Dad was up to coming to our home and enjoyed a good turkey dinner. Even Mom (who just turned 89) seemed to enjoy the afternoon / evening and I felt comfortable watching her back out of the driveway heading for the relatively short drive home. 

The weather here went from frigid the last two weeks to 57 degrees Boxing Day and had a thought in the back of my mind to go out where I had the accident and look around to see if by chance, with the melted snow, I might find my cell phone. Well..... don't I find it and the loose battery way down the way likely due to the snow plow pushing it up onto the grass! :rolleyes: 

While it has suffered some damage it was a relief that the sim card was still there with all my contact information! :D

Now, after I attend to changing out a dripping valve in our kitchen tap and some year end paper work, with my new halogen tripod work light my one son gave me for Xmas, will see if I can get on the brakes again.

He made the statement that I shouldn't have any more excuses.....

Don't you love it when the kids are right?! :lol: 

Xmas 2016 - Garage Tools_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

• Like 1

You mean it will generate some heat John? Never had one before. 

23 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Now, looking forward to that road test...

With things at work quiet right now need to get paperwork completed first but... hoping to steal some time before the official end of the year comes about so.....

You can bet I will record the event when it happens!:) 

2 hours ago, dei said:

You mean it will generate some heat John? Never had one before. 

"Some" is an understatement!  Be careful around that thing. 

ps: I love mine.  I have that one and two hanging halogens.  My son got me a floor standing one but first use the bulb stopped working.  

• Like 1

In a symbolic effort to start the New Year on the right foot at home, Spent a few hours back in the basement at the clean up and came across this in a box.

IMG_0921_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_0920_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Then I assembled that work light and as stated on instructions and John's warning, it does generate some heat. Definitely will be a step up from my old trouble light.

• Like 1

With having gone into the Deep Freezer again here in the Great White North :P, it is just too cold to be in the garage so....

I went basement diving into more boxes and found these.

IMG_0946_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Then I came across not only an ad but an actual can of wax which still has soft polish in it!

IMG_0936_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Since I had gone back to the upholstery shop and collected the seat back to the Limited, hard to tell but had to pose them in front naturally.

IMG_0942_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

• Like 2

Heading over to the Special today and work on the brakes some. Yeah!

Know they won't be completed just yet but happy to get back to this. The weather is up and down temperature wise but typical where I live and time to take advantage of it.

Recently I came across a thread on decal placement on '57 Buick breathers. 

With having four '58 Buick's wondered about my old original Limited which had a red breather cover and red decal on the base. 

1958 Buick Limited - Feb 1983 - before engine pulled @ 145,000 miles - Copy (2).jpg

My Special had a white decal on the base and wondered all these years what the difference was.

IMG_0816_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Thanks to that threat I now understand the difference. 

Simply put, the red is when there is a four barrel carb on the car and the white is when there is only a two barrel. 

You are never two old to learn something new. :rolleyes:

Now, off to the garage with my new trouble light.

• Like 2

Managed to get to the Special late after dealing with the days events.

One good thing was a call stating my truck was finally inside the shop and work was to start on the repairs...... YEAH! 

With the rain we had last night, checked the trench around the garage and it needed to be raked out of debris for better flow. Fortunately the grading is shedding the water away from the building but... the low spots are pooling still which means I need to do more grading this spring. 

During this I decided to fire up the car in an effort to build up a little heat once the door is shut only to find the battery isn't holding a charge. Looked back and guess the last time I had it running was the first of December so... Jumped it with a battery on the shelf. I know the fuel pump works as I can see the fuel come into the clear fuel filter I put on and after the second attempt away she went.

Once I shut her down and closed the doors finally set up the new light stand and boy, what a difference from that home made unit you see on the floor! :D 

Right Rear Brake - E Cable cleanup - Jan 12, 2017 - pic5_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

As per John's warning about being careful working around this thing, Yes, it delivers some heat! 

While cleaning up the E Cable I was hunched over and thought, Hmmm, That is a different smell than the usual oil, exhaust, paint smell I'm familiar with? Sure enough I moved back and could feel the heat on my right leg through the coveralls! :o

Fortunately nothing burnt but... fair warning.

Decided to wire wheel the few remaining parts needing to be done, apply paint and before you know it, the wife is texting me wondering if I'm coming home for supper?

Not huge progress but funny how the time flies when you are having fun. 

Next effort will be replacing the flex hose at the torque tube and reassembly of the brake parts on this wheel including a new drum. On with the fun!

• Like 2

My experience with the Harbor Freight variety halogen lights is the  elements last no more than a couple of hours.  Practically every time I have used mine the elements have burned out without my ever having getting to the point of being ready to turn the switch off.

• 3 weeks later...

With life issues having ramped up I missed the opportunity window of a January thaw and working in the garage. :P

However, one last minute call from my oldest son Friday provided a memorable experience on Saturday. While he might one day be the beneficiary of one of my Buick's, he is not quite hands on with them but that's OK too.

His hobby interests have been into audio and loves the tube type equipment sound plus vinyl records. Seems he had been looking for a rather rare type speaker set and managed to find them. His call was to ask if I might go with him on a road trip.

Needed to leave by 6 am as it meant we would travel the Ohio and Penn State Turnpikes just to get there. :o Opportunities in life can be missed sometimes without thinking about them and having made many road trips with my Dad thought (as the kids today say) "just do it".

Funny how last minute things work out better than often long time planning. Somehow the stars aligned as the weather had a window with no snow and traffic was unusually low so it was a Good Day but long! :)

Our travels took us passed Hershey which my dad and I have attended twice so hence my willingness to help my son out and share.

I won't bore you with the details but share a few pictures since it was a great trip (and accomplishment).

IMG_1028_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

After going through the fourth tunnel, it was a surprise not see any more snow!

IMG_1034_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

First time in Philly and wished we could have spent time to explore but... next time?

Can say that my boy's Envoy stood out like a sore thumb with the amount of salt it had on it compared to everyone else!

As stated things went fine and round trip was 19 hours and 3/4 by the time we were home!!! 

He was happy with his purchase and I think with our time together.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start...

A fellow Buick owner / friend's mom is the same age as my Dad and with the seven degrees of separation thing in play, found out she was in the same hospital when Dad was in Emerg this past week. We have not spoken for awhile and after sharing our concerns over our parents the conversation eventually turned to our Buick's. His 1957 Buick Super has been off the road for many years and not being a hands on guy figured it just might never be back on the road. As it turned out I wanted to go out to the storage where both cars are and take some pictures of my other '58 Buick I have not talked much about here. He asked if I would take some pictures too and after the 45 mile trip out planning on spending an hour (or two) I get a call about 1/2 an hour there to say my Dad had fallen at home and could I help. Fortunately my son was close and managed this situation and with no major injuries I hastily none the less shot what I could after having wiped the car down. 

She was a only a dream when I bought it and storage was cheap but know with the other projects on the go might have to consider what to do in the future.

IMG_1068_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.66fad34bc856d6f87d2f439beadd2100.jpg

IMG_1066_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.a4b358266f9add7e65a69cef993c0a41.jpg

IMG_1070_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9811c87bfcbf6482e96804e313529de2.jpg

Sadly I discovered the engine would not turn by pressure on the fan belt but.... like the Special, hope with some soaking I can free it up and get it running again.... 

My friend's Super has been here longer and it would not turn over either....

IMG_1073_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.486679b143a4fe59cd3e4b7c9d253791.jpg

IMG_1084_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.554233cca79034b5d12583a0c88ed3ad.jpg

What is it with Nail Heads when they sit?

• Like 1

With my friend's mom and my dad not doing so well and discussing our Buick's, kicked around the idea of either looking at his to get back on the road or possibly selling his. Decided with things in play now to shelve things for awhile.

My Dad was moved into Hospice Friday and while relieving Mom of the 24 hr duties needed, it has been busy with family coming to see him.....

I went up today at what turned out to be a quiet period for him and after an hour he said he was OK and I should go and enjoy the fine weather which is very unusual for this time of year. 

Because of our mutual joy of cars took him at his word and went over to the Special.

Decided to fire her up and with a few cranks to get gas up to the carb off she went! 

58ab8ed0b633e_1958BuickSpecial-Feb202017-running-pic2_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.b4dc18d1e0a7888884e951ed4b501ab4.jpg

As usual lot's of plays in motion but will deal with things as they come.

Sure was comforting to be assured the battery was up and running nice.

Went home after things warmed up and opened up the garage door. I have a flat head motor on a stand for my 52 F-1 sitting in front of my Limited and decided to put a bar on the crank to see if it would still turn.

58ab90e76db2c_DSCN0712-copy.thumb.jpg.42c80e9d65e39a78d7ab5087c918d1c2.jpg

Fortunately it is fine so pulled the plugs and dumped some trany fluid in just to be safe.

With Mom, house and issues.... dealing one day at a time for now.

With the Forum being shut down, a little late getting back but thanks John and others for your prayers and best wishes. 

Dad is actually in a good frame of mind knowing he isn't the burden he was for my mom. The care and concern for his quality of life is amazing and being only 10 years old, the facility has the latest for patients and families. 

I know this thread is supposed to be about my Buick's but going to break the rules this once and post a picture of where it all began for me with antique cars and owning my first car (58 Buick).

Shoot! Won't up load even with resizing ..........

Edited by dei (see edit history)

I remember your dad from when he showed your Whippet Cabriolet long ago.  I think I have an old photo of the car and he in Chatham.

My roommate from collage drove a '55 Special sedan and that is how it began for me.

Attended the SWO Flea Market this morning in Essex, didn't purchase much but had a good breakfast in their diner.  Best regards, Gary

4 hours ago, dei said:

With the Forum being shut down, a little late getting back but thanks John and others for your prayers and best wishes. 

Dad is actually in a good frame of mind knowing he isn't the burden he was for my mom. The care and concern for his quality of life is amazing and being only 10 years old, the facility has the latest for patients and families. 

I know this thread is supposed to be about my Buick's but going to break the rules this once and post a picture of where it all began for me with antique cars and owning my first car (58 Buick).

Shoot! Won't up load even with resizing ..........

Try again! I had the same problem, Sent an email to Mr. Earl, then two hours later everything worked.

Caballero2

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Caballero2.

I didn't mean to imply anything more than it didn't work at that time. Patience was mentioned at the top of all threads since coming back on line and...... it's working and mission accomplished.

This was Dad's first true antique car he purchased in 1967 in running condition as you see it - 1920 Overland which is now in my possession. It was Canada's Centennial year and they were dressed to attend a celebratory function with the car. Mom made her dress and Dad's jacket to play the part.

It was the start of many car shows and back then weekend trips with our local car club where the car found him.  

58b1dbc695ee5_1920Overland-1967-Copy_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.6c6961763a1c013bbcef5897513649fc.jpg  

Another of his project cars was my now 1928 Whippet which only took 28 years to get in running condition from this:

58b1deffd4421_1928Whippet-dayofPurchase.jpg.9f5096998ae60009422b09706f6189cd.jpg

To this:

58b1dfa63f219_YpsilantiOrphanCarShow2011-pic1.thumb.JPG.4114c03666a0fa7315b2a94c7cd0ccf0.JPG

I thank him everyday for passing the love of cars on to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

I remember your dad from when he showed your Whippet Cabriolet long ago.  I think I have an old photo of the car and he in Chatham.

My roommate from collage drove a '55 Special sedan and that is how it began for me.

Attended the SWO Flea Market this morning in Essex, didn't purchase much but had a good breakfast in their diner.  Best regards, Gary

Thanks Gary.

Appreciate the recognition.

Did you see the Whippet after it was done, during or before?

Good thing the Flea Market is indoors with this wind and change of temperature today right!

• 2 weeks later...

You can just barely see a corner of the Limited.

Dad bought her to drive back and forth 60 miles each way to work for two years before there was an opening here for him to apply.

58bd2e09dbe17_1920Overlandbutwiththecornerofthe1958BuickLimitedshowingbeforehechangedtherustedrearbumper-1969.thumb.jpg.c0f83274e30ef4c68a4096b9214d9cdd.jpg

With his condition changing have family coming home soon.....

• 3 weeks later...

Last week my sister and her family came up from Tennessee to see Dad due to his health and condition. With work obligations they went back home while my sister has stayed and Dad asked me to make sure his Corvair is in running condition as she will be inheriting it.

IMG_1134.thumb.JPG.6adec4e116370ba680abbe9328a4f156.JPG

It is an amature restoration at best but with rebuilt engine, rebuilt automatic transmission and new brakes, once I charged the battery up and the twin carbs got fuel, off she went. 

A few years ago he wanted the car painted and after some coaxing he convinced my son to help with sanding and do the painting there in his garage. 

58d3d26241520_IMAG0677-Copy.thumb.jpg.6d978d4acc837a339e28db733ec48bd3.jpg

After it idled down decided to take it out and exercise the brakes.

IMG_1127.thumb.JPG.4e5325356bcf4754f35d827a94f8bfdb.JPG

There are a few items needing to be put back on yet but with a little time that can be accomplished.

Since the car is mobile again decided to take advantage of the garage and clean up the car trailer (which barely fits! :o).

58d3d4500d878_CarTrailer-Mar222017-pic1.thumb.JPG.1ac11d874483966e4b8e3af2d41f5cdd.JPG

Sadly it is not wide enough to handle the Corvair without damage to the doors so my sister will have to look at other arrangements for transporting it back to Tennessee.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words.

It is indeed difficult but Hospice has been a wonderful experience for Dad and us so far (if one can say such a thing). 

I did have to pump up the tires after I shot that picture. The car has been sitting in the garage (heated) for about two and a half years and was last started well over a year ago. Not sure what my sister will be planning on as she doesn't have a garage to park it in at home so..... I find where they live, being right on the edge of the Smokie Mountains, is rather damp so leaving the car out won't do it any good but... it's Dad's wish she has the car and will be carried through. 

Where to start or just what to say..... today was a tough day.

With sunny skies and in the upper 50's we laid my father to rest this afternoon.

It truly amazed my mom and family the volume of relatives and many friends of his that came to pay tribute to Dad. 

I did my part by finishing the car trailer on Thursday and loaded the Whippet on it to have it parked at the entrance of the Funeral Home knowing Dad would be proud of his car being there.

IMG_1149.thumb.JPG.c69665e002bdc71fec39d1a153f650aa.JPG

Everyone who knew him and had not seen the car but heard about it was touched!:)

• Like 5

Our deepest sympathies Dei!  One of the hardest days in life!   Your Dad was lucky to have such a loving family and so many friends.  Even more lucky to have a great son who shared his passions in life.  God bless him and all of you!   

• Like 6

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SYMPATHIES AND KIND WORDS! 

Not having met in person any of you yet is such an indication of the "Family" this Club has built. :) I look forward to putting faces to the names someday soon.

Sorry to be slow in responding, the out of town Family and friends stayed until yesterday (which was good for mom). 

{Doug, he'll always be there in spirit, right in the passenger seat.}

Beemon,

You are so spot on with this and will be one of many cherished moments as indeed it was the first time he rode in the passenger seat of his beloved 1920 Overland at 85 years old.

58de3ff686714_1920OverlandDad-WindsorAirportShowonparade.thumb.jpg.e4e70f0d553aab64e16f48227afa38f9.jpg

Best Wishes & Health To You All.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With the saying, time heals all wounds in mind, I'm not healed yet but after putting the Whippet away still on the trailer back in the car port and using my good outside car cover on her, have freed up a spot beside the Special and have used that to prepare my lawn equipment for the fast approaching grass growing season. With temps around 70 and last Thursday having hail and light snow, hope that is the end of winter! :P

My son was in the garage at home Saturday and decided to take advantage of the fact his dirt bike and his big a** rolling tool box was outside, leaving me access to the back of the garage.

Started wiping down the Limited of dust accumulated over the last year or so and found it very therapeutic.:)

58ead9ecc775a_1958Limited-April92017-pic2.thumb.JPG.86b0ae3ea84f94ab1193a69de2b1254c.JPG

I moved some things around at the back and realized there was my rear bumper I had purchased some..... years ago and looked like it needed some attention. :o

Set it up in the aisleway, gathered some rags and my chrome polish and went to work.

58eadb47921ee_1958BuickLimited-rearbumper-April92017-pic1.thumb.JPG.926d51f3e0bac7dc76f49b0e066aa4e3.JPG

It is going to need lots more elbow grease but I can escape here and be in the house quick if needed!

58eadcd8cddcc_1958BuickLimited-rearbumper-April92017-pic6.thumb.JPG.6f6c0f5fed860c6e6df54620d2e90017.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, Saturday was, well, a bitter, sweet day.

I had received an e-mail last week from the Car Club both Dad & I belong to requesting help with maintaining some of the historic buildings out there from members and volunteers. After having such a great response when I called asking for Pallbearers for Dad, How could I NOT offer my services?

The sweet part was that one of the two buildings I'm involved with is a Train Station moved to the property and restored / preserved over about the past 35 years which is my second love of all things train (next to my antique cars).

IMG_1195.thumb.JPG.bc9798272566db6eaa2970571f3e9482.JPG

The somewhat bitter part is, with having to raise funds to maintain this 100 acre Village and 25,000 square foot Museum, one of the events has been an annual Murder Mystery Night which Dad loved to participate. He loved playing the part of Station Master and when his eyes forced him to stop driving (his choice) I would take him out to be there, dealing with the many questions by the public in the baggage room, keeping him in hot chocolate or hot cider during the sometimes cool Fall evenings.

58fcab5b2ce86_AbatMurderMystery2012.thumb.JPG.4768693732ed3baa61fbbcf867402d57.JPG

It has been accepted by the management that a picture (likely this one) can been hung in "his" baggage room to honour him. It means a lot to me.

58fcabfbe0475_AbinTrainStation-MurderMystery2012.thumb.JPG.5e4519104a07177e09130ccee609e5f8.JPG

• Like 7

Thank you so much Matt.

You and others in this great "Buick Family" have been gracious in offering sympathies and support and please know that it does help. The one fact of life is that we all will be dealing with a loss of some kind sooner or later.....

How I deal with it is going to make the difference as I still have mom to watch out for since she is capable of living at home still but I will be the one taking care of the property more now. That will keep me occupied.

Fortunately at 89 she is still driving and competently for now which helps on some levels.

And so, life will carry on and staying positive, have to make the best of it we can. :)

Doug

• Like 4