ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Today was a great day, 63 degrees!  :D

Cleaned up and hooked up a disconnect switch I purchased at the swap meet yesterday for a buck.

post-80315-0-76467000-1456714554_thumb.j

Hope this will keep the battery from discharging for now.

Meantime, 

Not happy with the work space I have but....

post-80315-0-09439700-1456714758_thumb.j

Needed to clean off the years of grease and dirt before mounting the backing plate.

post-80315-0-62130100-1456715064_thumb.j

Managed to get it to this before painting.

post-80315-0-04655900-1456715407_thumb.j

After painting.

post-80315-0-71778600-1456715685_thumb.j

While waiting for the paint to dry moved back to the right rear. The brake line and wheel cylinder came off Ok but....

wanting to remove the parking brake in order to ensure it was free... broke one of the bolts!  :angry:

post-80315-0-44079400-1456716079_thumb.j

While PB Blaster works great, should have gone a bit slower with the socket wrench. Guessing the heat built up and snapped the head off. 

Decided to finish cleaning up and painted the backing plate.

post-80315-0-30427500-1456716453_thumb.j

Thanks Adam.

Happy to get some serious time on her. Just itching to get on the road again!

Will need to start soaking those bolts on the exhaust next as the tail pipe is just about none existant yet the muffler is fine. Don't want to break one of those suckers.....

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Will start the process in a day or two. Getting ready flr a predicted 3 to 6 inches of snow depending on the track of the storm! Crazy weather, had snow last week, record heat on Sunday, snow again....

No wonder people are down with the flue....

Day two for my wife.

Doug, I have been going through a lot of similar issues working on Glenda's Wildcat. Lots of frozen bolts, and some have come out, and others have broken, no matter what I've used and how how easy I take it. Though I have not yet tried the ATF and Acetone.

We also are supposed to get 20 or 30 cm of snow, which is a foot or so for our American friends. Cool too, we also had very mild temps on Sunday, but today its' -8C, which is 15 or 20 F.

Keith

I recommend dropping hot ATF from a preheated transmission sparingly on these potentially frozen nuts and bolts.  The acetone is going to vaporize outside of the fixture, and it only appears to help thin the ATF to begin with.  But that hot ATF has been just as, and maybe even more effective in my opinion.  

Just heat up your daily driver, then pull the dipstick ( if you have one) and just drop a few drops on the fastener.  Alternatively, you can heat the bolts with a propane torch for a few minutes and then put some atf on the fasteners.  A few applications for a week, and see what happens.

• Like 1

Dodged another big snow storm!  :D  Ended up getting about 2 inches with ice just before the snow but by noon everything was cleaned and manageable.

Stopped by the Special and dropped some hot ATF from my Ford truck on the exhaust bolts. Plan on doing this for awhile and hope for good results.

Meantime, while out earlier and stopping over at dad's to clean his driveway, there he is.....

post-80315-0-44463400-1456966430_thumb.j

Just can't give him a scolding.

Cherishing every day. 

• Like 2

Here in South Scarborough we got about 8-10 inches of snow, and quite cold too. Though its' supposed to warm up and then melt next week.

Is that your Dad helping out with shoveling? Looks like he's doing well.

John, I'll try the hot ATF. Thanks for the tip.

Keith

Is that your Dad helping out with shoveling? Looks like he's doing well.

Yes Keith, that's my dad. ;)

Given all the issues he is dealing with, the least of which is arthritis in his hips, one shoulder and both hands, he is doing ok right now. I attribute that to his attitude.

He could have given up totally about May of last year but has said to us, "If I can get up in the morning and see the sunshine, I'm going to have a good day." (Believe me there is not one ounce of senility in play here!)

We had a good day last Saturday going out to the Swap Meet, having breakfast together and catching up with a few of the older members who had not seen him for awhile.

I plan on getting him out as long as I can. :D

I know all I have to do is ask if he'd like to go and before I finish where, he says just tell me when to be ready.  

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

While soaking those bolts in the muffler connection noticed the differential is caked with oil and crud.... :o

post-80315-0-56249500-1457103133_thumb.j 

I'll probably let sleeping dogs lay for now due to my time constraint but should I plan on any long road trip, should plan on further attention.

I then looked up in the wheel well and see things need some attention there too.

post-80315-0-76601600-1457103418_thumb.j

Considering she started out as my daily driver in 1972, guess it sorta figures she would deserve some attention here and there. :rolleyes:   

• 2 weeks later...

With heavy rain yesterday, 60 mph winds today and not being Irish calling this, "Luck of the English"...

post-80315-0-64921200-1458264305_thumb.j 

Going to need another tarp for the Limited parts car  :P.

Then to add insult to injury, doesn't my fortune cookie after take out Chinese dinner say, "Luck is by your side for the next couple of decades, at least".

It just does not say what kind of luck!  :angry:

Hi Doug

Here is Michael, I only have a new profile picture. I will keep you happy about the progress of my restoration to date.:)

On ‎21‎.‎09‎.‎2015 at 11:53 AM, series750 said:

(((Hello,

i`m Michael from Germany and new here :)

Maybe you can help me futher?!

I Need this parts for my 1958 Buick Limited 4 Door Hardtop.

- complete front Bensch seat "six way power seat" (Fits: 58 Roadmaster)

- left & right kick Panel

- Antenna

- rear quarter Panel Trim Molding Moulding fin Chrome left &right

- rear wheel well (Corner) to rocker Molding right side

With best regards,

Michael

P.S. sorry for my bad english ^_^)))

• Like 1

Series755,

Tried sending you a pm and was not successful. With the new look/system to fight the recent spam/hack attack to the Forums guess there are some things to be worked out yet. 

Will be patient and try sometime later.

On 18/03/2016 at 10:37 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Good Grief Dei...Did you ever consider converting to a different religion?  :D

John,:D:lol::)

With all the changes to the Forums being done recently wasn't sure my like what you said would post but wanted you to know the irony isn't lost on me.:unsure:

However, on a brighter note, Spring has Sprung early this year and I have hit the ground running at full speed this week and if the rain holds off should be able to have time for family this Easter Weekend!:D

I also landed a contract quite by accident (being at the right place at the right time) that once some small details are worked out should get me in a position to have the brake work completed by my mechanic...... if all goes well. 

Maybe all the luck isn't the bad kind?:huh: 

• 2 weeks later...

Man, who hit the switch and turned on the 220volts?:wacko:

Everything is coming at once!!!!

After I had the Insurance Adjuster and his appraiser here on the Saturday after St Patrick's Day, we agreed I would clean up the wood framing and metal fence panels to ensure none of the local kids were going to get curious and possibly get hurt. 

Scofield Fence - Mar 19, 2016 - pic3.JPG

Ok, done.

Then while waiting for the insurance to get back to me on what they may or may not cover (3-5 weeks they said), Don't I get a visit from a City official stating they had a complaint from a neighbour last Thursday about the ditch being plugged and blocked by debris.....

Looks like the Limited parts car will be a gonner sooner than I want.

As if that wasn't bad enough, My other property today has an order to clean up now!

With everyone having built up around me, there is lots of water laying about when it pours and none of them have taken any action to stop their water from draining in my yard so have indeed had things in a bit of a disorder trying to keep from flooding the garage and ruin my antique cars let alone rot the garage sills.

Should be an interesting meeting there tomorrow......

Backyard looking at neighbours.jpg

Sideyard along neighbours fence.jpg

Needless to say the Buick is now on hold as people seem to feel the need to direct my time.:angry:

Not going down without a fight just yet but with the amount of property tax we pay and anything more, it might be time to sell everything and move out of this City! 

Well,,,, today did not go well as expected....

Maybe if I had Ben and Gary as neighbours things would be different.

This official didn't want to hear anything about neighbours water causing possible damage to my property and refered me to a department he was not involved with but gave me a time line to comply or......

Likely will be off line for awhile since dealing with things on two fronts and trying to run a business to earn a living.:P

Guessing when they say you can't fight City Hall, they are right....

Till later,

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm back. (sort of....)

Had a meeting with the City official today over the yard conditions thing and while he wasn't impressed with my solution to put up a 10X20 portable garage in the back yard (where I would have rather put it beside the garage if things were NOT so wet) it did serve the purpose to hid the things my neighbour wasn't happy to see beside the garage so he's gone and hope the H*## to never see him again!

Now will be calling the Building Standards Department Monday over the water run off on my property! This is going to affect three of them but I guess "what is good for the Goose, is good for the Gander!" 

Still can't see getting to the Special for awhile as during this past month have been putting in a new bathroom in the basement which has to be completed before we rip apart the main bathroom all before September 17th.

Apr 27, 2016 - pic1.JPG

Apr 27, 2016 - pic2.JPG

And....

Had to get after the Insurance Company because I have a new neighbour who did not like the blocks left in the ditch even though I had taken all the fence boards and fence panels out myself..... Took three guys most of the day Monday to bust them up, heave up on the lawn and then wheel them into a bin placed in the driveway. (No access for a backhoe) 

IMG_0163.JPG

All this while my Spring work has been coming in when the weather is good.

They say there is no rest for the wicked, so thinking I must be REALLY wicked!:unsure:

• Like 1

Oh, one good thing. My friend who is also a car collector wants me to join him next month to a car show 35 miles away for the day and is willing to let me drive one of his cars. Don't think me a turncoat guys but I really love his 1966 Lincoln convertible.

P1000731.JPG

I would have liked to take the Special but that is just not in the cards so think I will take a day (and a break) to keep my head straight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D Yaros said:

In the world of FOMOCO that car is a Continental.  Doubt you will find any badges/markings that read Lincoln?

Thanks for the clarification Dave.:)

I do indeed see the name Continental across the hood and will remember that in the future (especially when I get to drive this great Land Yacht!:D

It's somewhat like when I see the 58 Buick's listed as Riviera, no badges there either.

Thanks for the lesson.

I always think of them as Lincoln Continentals,  Just for fun I did a Bing search for pictures under, 63 Lincoln, and 63 Continental, and came up with hundreds of images under wither name.  Then for reference I put in 49 Riviera,  and found far more pictures of 49 Buicks...

Not quite sure how to read those results, but it was a fun search. I did note, I prefer the original thin stripe white walls vs the fat whites. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I did note, I prefer the original thin stripe white walls vs the fat whites. 

Ya John, it is the same with fender skirts and continental kits, boils down to personal preference for sure. (all good)

For me, I like the audaciousness of it on such a big car! :lol: 

I have a set of wide whites for my black 2 door '58 Limited (when the time comes) that are going on but like the smaller white walls on the Special.

• Like 1

Went to the garage Sunday thinking I might have a chance to continue with the brakes only to find out my son had his car gone through Saturday night / Sunday morning! Started looking around looks like they tried jimmying the side door of the garage so spent the afternoon covering the few windows inside and purchased a camera system plus deadbolt for the door.

Then it rained Sunday night till about noon Monday and saw this.....

IMG_0187.JPG

Now waiting for an appointment from the City Building Department to review the water situation....

Meantime, Fired up the Special after about three turns and the motor is sounding better all the time! 

With her being up on stands and all the wheels off, the drive train turns so the trany is getting a bit of exercise too and think the usual dripping at the torque ball seal is not as bad as it was. No cure but remember that driving helped some with the leak.

Getting anxious to get at her again and on the road.....

• Like 1

Took some time yesterday to take Dad over to the "big screen experience" at The Henry Ford. 

This was his birthday gift as he turned 92 on the 4th. 

We saw James Cameron's Deep Sea Adventure and with his macular degeneration managed to see most of it due to the big screen. Took Michigan Ave on the way back to the Bridge and was amazed at how things have cleaned up (not like after the riots for sure).

It was just what we both needed!:)

After diner I moved a few more boxes downstairs and came across this in one.

1958 Buick Lmited - June 10, 1990 - Copy.jpg

My sister had an Open House at her place and we placed the cars out front to draw attention.

From left to right: (my now) 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman, 1958 Buick Special, 1958 Limited, (her) 1960 Covair and Dad's 1966 Corvair convertible.

• Like 2

Thanks Keith on all accounts.

Yes Dad's birthday is greatly appreciated by us all considering what his condition was last year at this time!

He keeps saying, "As long as I can see the sunshine in the morning and can get up out of bed, I'm going to have a good day". God love him he hasn't given up yet. :)

As to the Nash, other than a valve job on the flat head six just before Dad purchased it in 1968, she is an all original interior and paint vehicle having seen only one Canadian winter in it's life. I am the 4th documented owner of this not often seen car and it is the "Canadian Statesman" model to boot which is even more rare today. 

If your buddy has had his Nash for a long time, a bit of a story but I might have seen it when I was on a "Buick engine rescue" in Newmarket where they were gathering for a car tour while I was getting my trailer bearings replaced.

1951 Nash - Willistead Classic Car Show 1990.jpg

My friend has been into Nashes as long as I've known him, which is about 25 years. He also has a Canadian Statesman, I believe, along with a few others.
He lives in the North Pickering area, so you may very well have met him at one time.

Keith

• Like 1

I'll bet it was your friend Keith!

I had limped into the Canadian Tire store to have bearings changed on my light duty trailer after coming down to pick up what was reported to be a '57 Buick motor and transmission.

Two lessons learned that day:

1- always get motor/engine numbers to verify first - turned out to be for a '55 Special. 

2- ALWAYS check trailer bearings BEFORE setting out on the Highway!

While waiting for a bay, my son and I saw a few antique cars gathering at the nearby restaurant and noticed a black '51 Nash. Naturally had to go over to see it! I think they were either touring as members of the AACA or HASC group. I also remember a beautiful Packard roadster in the group and the couple said they always drove it when ever they could.

That was over 16 years ago.... small world huh!? :)