ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Still using the tablet, settings need to be tweaked some on the pc.

post-80315-0-39639900-1452734504_thumb.j

These were at the bottom of the tote wrapped up.

The top two were rechromed from good cores I picked up and the bottom one is one that came off a complete rear bumper dad bought waay back thinking it would fit the Limited. This was the first of many lessons of the differences between the different models.

Still, for something like 35 bucks, not out too much?

Now, if I can come across the two striped panels and get some new bolts I could assemble this, take off the old bumper and make her look a bit better.....

Hey John,

Uhmm... The quick answer (no excuses) to your question is no you didn't miss any posting about the brakes all fixed and I more than understand you are not picking on me :-) in fact I'm taking it as you proding me to get moving and thanks for your interest!

If I was the New Years Resolution kind of guy that would surely be Tops on the list though!

I actually did a bit on the left front one day but not enough to post about or take pictures.

My plan tomorrow after a breakfast meeting with a friend is to get into my insulated coverals and get back at her till supper!

With work done for now, will be switching between the car and a much needed bathroom in our basement which will keep my wife really happy.

Happy wife, happy life.

Spent some time with brake parts as hoped.

Turned on the propane heat, the tunes and wheeled eveything.

When it came to the backing plate I started with this.

post-80315-0-54283600-1452909992_thumb.j

When the crap was gone it looked like this.

post-80315-0-80032500-1452910253_thumb.j

There are grooves where the shoes are to slide. Guessing that is from the different years of storage I put her through. Think it needs some work before remounting or...

Might have to check the condition of the front backing plates on the Limited parts car....

John,

Hammering them out might be possible but I'm leaning more to grinding them smooth. My oldest boy is a CNC operator and said he would take a look at it and bring it in the shop to see what he can do.

Hoping the back brakes are not like this. Will be taking a close look tomorrow.

Popping in before a trip to the lumber store and saw your post Willie.

Tapered drums? Would that be from never having them turned and wearing that way?

I had them turned this past fall, wasn't present when they were done but fortunately there was enough meat so they were in spec, although close.

Towards the end of driving her before putting her up on stands, I noticed it was taking more presure to brake (a sure sign needing attention right) and that wheel cylinder was apparently leaking. The other side did not have those ridges so it must have been OK.

BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!

Finally went to work on the backing plate for a bit as my boys seem to be busy with their lives....

Managed to get it looking like this.

post-80315-0-27867500-1453425134_thumb.j

Tomorrow it is going into the rust remover mixture talked about on these forums and soak while I continue with the basement.

• 2 weeks later...

Update;

Progressing slowly with the backing plate but pleased with the soaking progress results.

post-80315-0-54618200-1454542765_thumb.j post-80315-0-53445300-1454542857_thumb.j

One suggestion for anyone trying the vinegar soaking method, be sure you degrease parts before submerging. 

I used the scouring pad and some coarse steel wool bringing it to this and might put it to my brass wire wheel for those few tight spots before painting.

post-80315-0-07132200-1454543121_thumb.j

Even the part number cleaned up nicely.

post-80315-0-14596400-1454543431_thumb.j

Once I skim the vinegar container of dirt and grease going to try some small parts that need to be done.

• Like 2

Fair question Gary. 

The short answer is I don't have one, thought I would try this method first.

It's somewhat due to the frugal part of me showing up when you consider the price of a cabinet, media costs, not sure my compressor is up to the job and not having a heated work space to work in.....

Of course I could look for someone to do it for me (again a cost - LOL) but even though I'm moving slowly on things right now, feel the cost of 2 gallons of vinegar has worked for me. :mellow:  

• Like 1

With a little more effort on the hard to reach areas shot some paint today.

post-80315-0-97638800-1454624296_thumb.j post-80315-0-49794700-1454624385_thumb.j

By the way, this is drying in my basement in the area where my time is being divided between the new three piece bathroom and the car.

The word from headquarters is this takes priority over the car  :o soooo....

the juggling act begins 'cause ya know the car just HAS TO BE DONE!

post-80315-0-52682700-1454624859_thumb.j

• Like 1

Priority is a matter of perspective, I deal with this problem all the time, the wife and kids seem to think that having food is more important than the various car parts I need

No idea what their problem is ????????

I get that! LOL!

Fair question Gary. 

The short answer is I don't have one, thought I would try this method first.

It's somewhat due to the frugal part of me showing up when you consider the price of a cabinet, media costs, not sure my compressor is up to the job and not having a heated work space to work in.....

Of course I could look for someone to do it for me (again a cost - LOL) but even though I'm moving slowly on things right now, feel the cost of 2 gallons of vinegar has worked for me. :mellow:

Good answer. now I know. your project does look good. I always follow it.

Good answer. now I know. your project does look good. I always follow it.

Thanks Gary, much appreciated.  :)

Guess you and others by now have figured out I have just done the usual things needed to maintain the old girl over all these years like tires, brakes, tail pipe, filters, plugs and a tune up when needed to be able to drive it and have fun.  :lol:

She has never been a SHOW CAR, but enjoy the looks and attention it gets as it has gotten older. 

I'm being inspired by you guys that have done soooo much yourselves in the garage at home producing great results that I figure now when things need to be done, do the best I can do.

Especially now that my '58's are 58 years old!  :D

• Like 1

My two projects were put on hold today due to a phone call from my cousin's daughter earlier this week saying her dad was in the hospital and wanted to see me and my Dad.

I only had to ask Dad once if he was up to the trip so I picked him up around 10am and off we went for the 2 hour drive. 

If I may ask, would you keep Jim in your prayers as he is being treated for what is now diagnosed as Leukemia.

He has been a car guy from an early age too although not Buick's, but I'm not holding that against him....

One of his first cars was this 1967 Chev convert which was special to me because he let me drive it when we were coming back from Ottawa, Ontario on the 401 when he was too tired to continue.

post-80315-0-77011700-1454728592_thumb.j

The special part was because I had never been on the highway in "Big City" traffic before this! :o  

We had switched just before Oshawa and by the time he woke up I was thick in the middle of Toronto traffic during rush hour and no where to stop and switch again!!!

Needless to say we made it fine and brought this picture with me today which Jim really appreciated. It brought a big smile to his face reliving my story but I also soon learned Dad had never known about this..... 

His comment, "I guess I'm never going to be too old to learn something new about you am I son?"  :P

After visiting for an hour or so and with a scheduled transfusion to be performed we said goodbyes for now and took the long way home which Dad used to drive when I was a kid only this time the roles were reversed.

Taking a back way into a small town I knew about what do we see?

post-80315-0-18503800-1454729960_thumb.j post-80315-0-99401500-1454730162_thumb.j

Just had to stop a take these pictures. There was tape on the inside of the windshield but the sign had dropped onto the seat upside down so did not get any contact information but I have seen worse looking cars for sale on the For Sale site here. Even the seats had seat covers on them but were definately sun bleached.... 

Dad's comment (soon to be 92), "If I was younger I'd take the old girl on." I always new where the car thing came from.

Gotta love him.

• Like 2

Thanks John & Ben.

Very much appreciated!

I've come to believe every good thought helps.

About this time last year we were facing uncertain troubles with Dad.

I had become close to a customer who asked how my family was doing and shared Dad's condition. He called me a week later and asked if he could add Dad to their Prayer Group to which I said yes, thank you.

I'll have to look back but I think you both offered yours then too. 

That was soon to be a year ago and as I posted, we were able to spend the day together still and he sure doesn't miss too much and yes, he is a hoot!  :D

I'm very greatful. 

After having broken out the cement floor, removing many pails of stone up a flight of stairs and outside, exposing the drains in an effort to cut some cost for a plumber, insulating the floor joists at the wall.... I figured it would be OK to spray the backing plate there......

I did that early in the day believing the odour would not be noticeable by the time my wife was home from work. 

post-80315-0-16662500-1455127139_thumb.j

Uhhhh.... guess I'm being banished as of now! :( OOOPS

Will be doing this from now on at Dad's heated garage after I cover his Corvair convertible as my garage doesn't get over 40 degrees with the propane tank heater I have.

Meantime, prepping a stud wall as all the existing plumbing has to be taken out and the water meter has to be turned the other way for the three piece bathroom fixtures which the plumber is doing including the new drain hookups. I not want the heat if there is a leak! :P

post-80315-0-63328700-1455127763_thumb.j post-80315-0-02880400-1455127935_thumb.j

Fortunately my small parts are soaking in a tupperware container which has a lid (for now....  :unsure:)

With another trip to the lumber store had to move more stuff out of the way and came upon more pictures on a shelf. Thought I'd share as this is my guy that is getting married this September and wants the Special for pictures.

post-80315-0-65182900-1455285017_thumb.j

All the more motivation to get her back on the road again!  :)

• Like 1

Then I came across these.

Dad was a member of the Detroit Area Corvair Club and hosted a gathering at home to tour out to our local Car Club Museum & Heritage Village. This was 1986......

post-80315-0-05006800-1455285429_thumb.j post-80315-0-23508600-1455285464_thumb.j post-80315-0-68426100-1455285494_thumb.j

Funny thing, we had GREAT neighbours who had kids and Dad would give rides to anyone and everyone that wanted to go!  :D Consequently, no one ever expressed any issues with parking cars on the lawn!  :rolleyes:

Surprisingly the lawn never looked bad either as Dad always washed the cars there instead of letting the water go down the sewer. 

Ahead of his time with water conservation? :o

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

MAN IT'S BEEN FRIGID HERE!

Working inside all this time have spent the evening sorting through pictures and using the summer shots as therapy.

post-80315-0-02019000-1455593629_thumb.j post-80315-0-79795500-1455593686_thumb.j

Convertible, Water, Clear Skies, Road Trip with good friends.... Ok, I feel better now! :D  

• Like 1

Keith,

Have not been following the weather up your way lately but know all too well what the Lake effects can have on us. 

A total change here from last year other than this last cold snap! I have had to use my snow blower only once and hand shovelling has only needed to happen three times (so far...).

'NOT' complaining, just saying.

My posting about a spirit uplift was mostly because I lost my cousin Jim last Friday evening and his daughter had called to ask if I could send pictures of our past for the funeral tomorrow. At 65 years old, by today's life expectancy, all too short.

He was a good husband, father and grandfather. His smile was infectious and will sadly be missed.

Wanted to say thank you for everyone's kind words regarding my cousin. It means a lot!

As more therapy and taking advantage of 63 degree weather  :D , spent most of the day at the garage with the Special yesterday. Opened up the side door and the main double door to fire her up again and.... click, click.

Huh?  :unsure: Tested the battery and dead! Pulled out the charger and she started taking a charge so moved on to wheeling some brake parts in preparation for painting. 

post-80315-0-69219600-1456076662_thumb.j post-80315-0-71614200-1456076809_thumb.j

Meantime, while waiting for the battery to charge up, I had received a call from a paint shop I had dropped off a spare lower panel that goes on my '52 Ford F1 some 18 or so months ago and almost forgot about it.... I went and picked it up to bring it back to the garage as he wasn't going to store it while waiting for me to do more work on the truck (naturally).

Sadly I'm a bit disappointed with the finished product, fish eye, dirt in the paint / clear coat and a few spots that look like water was in the paint.....

post-80315-0-89745600-1456077429_thumb.j post-80315-0-82933700-1456077572_thumb.j post-80315-0-71037000-1456080107_thumb.j

I think my son and I will do any more painting/bodywork ourselves as I'm looking for a driver quality job but if it is going to look that way do not want to pay shop rates for it.....

It is hanging from the rafters in front of the truck for now as the concentration is going to be on the Special till she is on the road again. 

By now there was enough charge to turn the motor over so hit the switch and about three turns later she fired up!  B) I'm getting lucky with the carb being responsive so far but know sitting might mean something down the road....

Once fully warmed up and another 5 gallons of gas was put in I shut her down and started poking around with a meter to see if there was something drawing current as I do not have a battery disconnect at this time. I'm not good with electrical gremlins but found out this:

Because the brake system has been drained of brake fluid, the master cylinder has no pressure to keep the pedal up fully. It sags just enough to let the lights come on and never noticed it before. The other issue was my clock. While it would sometimes stop if the car sat for awhile, once out on the road I guess the spring would bounce back and it would work, even keeping good time. So, pulled the fuse for the clock for now and have a block under the brake pedal. Will see as time goes on and going to install a battery disconnect soon. :rolleyes:

Heading back now for a few hours to clean around the upper and lower control arms (what I can) before putting the backing plate on. It is not quite as warm today (45) but just might fire her up and use the engine heat to stay warm. I love hearing that nail head.  :D

Had a pleasant surprise today.

I received the cheapest paint job I could every afford! :lol:

See, I had sent a picture of the Special I posted here recently to my sister in Tennessee and happened to mention I wished the body & paint was in better condition for my son's wedding.

Since she is a professional artist, restores oil paintings and does incredible photo restoration work she applied her magic and sent me this:

post-80315-0-35128500-1456325639_thumb.j 

From this:

post-80315-0-70065100-1456325824_thumb.j

I've always been able to look beyond the scars and imperfections and visualize in my mind what it could look like but have accepted the fact I have driven this car all this time and have never had intentions of it being a show car.

Seeing this now, might just have to review that thinking...... ^_^

Not to press our relationship too much, I want to see what she can do to remove the people and the modern car from this one.

It was the same day but looking down river.

post-80315-0-15203500-1456326373_thumb.j

Spent the day dealing with 3-4 inches of wet heavy snow (2nd time this winter using my snow blower - not a bad winter  :D) but dodged a 10 - 12 inch dumping over the river in Michigan!

Came home, checked email and my sister sent back these:

post-80315-0-18316500-1456434638_thumb.j

Notice from the previous post the people and the car are gone. This and the one with the bridges are going on the wall in the garage by the Special!  B)

post-80315-0-55635300-1456434922_thumb.j

She made significant change in the colour tones in this shot as my red car (I know, with all it's critical condition) came out really faded out, even after a re-shoot at the 2003 Centennial Meet in Flint.

I can now have it out and be proud. :)

• Like 1

Managed to take Dad to our Clubs first indoor swap meet yesterday (5,000 square foot hall) and surprised at the older stuff vendors brought. 

Heading over to the Special with a battery quick disconnect switch I found to spend the day as it is supposed to be 56 today. 

Should be able to complete some brake work  :unsure:

Shot a picture of Dad yesterday having breakfast in the 50's dinner and thought I'd share.

post-80315-0-77554300-1456713975_thumb.j

Soon to be 92 he picked up an ammeter he thinks will work for a project he has in mind...

At this stage of the game, not discouraging him.  ;)

• Like 1