ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

YAHOOOO IT LIVES! :D

But not before some trouble shooting.

After cranking and smelling too much gas checked the coil and had power there. My son called to find out where I was at this point and came over with his meter and we checked the coil wire which was dead.

Get this, swapped out a wire that was tested good off the spare Whippet motor but.... still just cranking and no hint of life. Then we pulled a plug to see if by chance there was spark but maybe just flooded. NOTHING!

Pulled the cap (again) and tested for continuity through the wires. All good, so.... filed the points ever so lightly but looked at the rotor on a whim and thought, the top contact looks rather close to the plastic base (maybe a contact issue?). I bent it up slightly, replaced the cap and after some more cranking could hear that unmistakable sound when one or two plugs just want to fire!

OK, so now that there is spark, figure the plugs are soaked so hold the choke wide open and let her crank with the throttle held wide open (all from under the hood - that I like;)) and away we go!

SHOOT! I have video of her running but can't seem to get it posted..... New at this so have to wait for my son again. :o

​Film at 11.

With the emotional roller coaster I have been on this past month or so yesterday was, to say the least, the greatest superb high so far! :)

Getting the Special fired up was good but I needed to chase some gremlins, the least of which was a not so good metal clicking noise going on. After just topping up the rad and surprisingly only needing to put 3 liters of trany fluid in, I hear a horn out side. Hitting the garage door opener I see Dad's '66 Corvair parking with my son and Dad getting out. Seems Dad had asked him to help put some trim back on the car he was having trouble with (eyes are bad) and Mark knew I was working on the Buick so came over for a look see.

post-36036-143143022849_thumb.jpg

This was unexpected and good to see Dad out and about.

After a brief conversation I said, "Come and listen to this". The Buick immediately fired right up and after listening to the clicking noise some, on a whim, I reached inside the car, since it is on jack stands with all her drums off and pulled the lever out of park to which the noise immediately stopped! :D

A little history here, back in the day, I had to replace the trany after not paying attention to the fluid level and burning out something major. The small local trany shop had a used one and for an amount I could afford then, had him put it in. The only problem was that the parking pawl would not engage so for all these years I had the emergency cable adjusted up to act as my parking brake. I'll bet I have one of the best working emergency brake cables in Canada being that it is in constant use!

Now, with no drums on and the lever in park I guess the pawl is just catching a bit and hence the clicking sound.:eek:

With that hurdle over we start to concentrate on the engine sounds which is on a bit of a fast idle but running smoothly. There is a distinct lifter noise coming from the passenger side and my first thought was that maybe I had a stuck valve? or bent push rod? or maybe, just maybe, after sitting so long, one lifter that might just be not fully pumped up? :confused:

It wasn't too loud so took the chance to let her warm up before shutting it down. Sure enough, as you could start to feel heat in the block doesn't the lifter noise start to disappear!:D

This is really turning out to be my day and then... no, not what you might think. Doesn't my son, looking at me over the fender with the motor idling say to me, WOW Dad! I can't believe how well this thing runs! And you kept it all these years.... (with my Dad looking on)

THAT MADE MY DAY!:cool:

post-36036-143143022939_thumb.jpg

(There is video coming but I just need to corner that boy for about an hour.....)

Edited by dei (see edit history)

There's at least one BIG smile here in Upstate NY for you Doug! There is an adjustment on the trans linkages for that park pawl position. While you have it up it would take only a moment to adjust and then you can get out from under it and test your work.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a million John!

Maybe the stars are aligning, who really knows for sure? Just appreciating things when they are good and.... now one step closer to being "on the road again" with the Special!

I'll look in the manual to see if there is anything there covering the parking pawl. It has been so long since the trany was switched out I can't remember (oh my;)) what the fellow said as to why he could not get it to work properly.

T'would be great if it was just some adjustment and if you or anyone has suggestions, it will be on the jack stands till I get the brakes totally done, etc.

Doug, what a great day for you! Glad the old girl is up and running! That is really great. And not to mention having your Dad and son around just for kicks! Very high score in my book! Keep it up and get that park pawl adjusted. I am very impressed on the freedom that your parking break move as well. I have always had a heck of time keeping mine adjusted and working well.

• Thanks 1

To keep my momentum going I did a little inventory control yesterday before heading home. I have a few fenders in about three places and decided to consolidate them and mark which ones are for what. I came across the NOS one that I bought for the Special and believe I have another excellent used one that should be stored in the attic of the garage at home. Mark is trying to convince me to paint the car for his brother's wedding in September 2016......

post-36036-143143027871_thumb.jpg

While rummaging through other stuff I came across this.

post-36036-143143027877_thumb.jpg

It is the most rear part of the torque tube from my original (now parts car) Limited when the universal joint broke while Dad & I were on the way home back in 1970. (I just can't throw anything away:o)

I remember the shudder the car made and the sound like it was yesterday!

post-36036-143143027882_thumb.jpg

While I'm patiently waiting for my son to help with posting video :rolleyes: thought I'd post pictures of what my 145,000 mile engine looks like when changing the oil......

post-36036-143143049219_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143049225_thumb.jpg

It surely isn't show field ready but not going to find any rust here!:o

One surprise was cleaning out the oil filter canister. Dad always put a can of STP in the oil every other oil change and I might have put one in every now and then. This is what was in the bottom.

post-36036-143143049232_thumb.jpg

It took a bit of scratching around with a screw driver to clean that gunk out.

post-36036-143143049236_thumb.jpg

Here is the Fram oil filter that fits the 1958 Buick's.

post-36036-143143049239_thumb.jpg

The AC is: PF 122

Finally!

As stated here is the video of her running!:D

Not the one I wanted, spitting up the carb in protest on the first try, but hitting all 8 cylinders happily!

With hitting almost 70 degrees today the rust in my veins is burning to get back on the road again!:eek:

Sweet ! You make me want to go take the 56 for a ride.

I'm somewhat envious of you being able to "go for a ride" right now John but I'm one step closer than I was three weeks ago!

Hope you are getting some of this warmer weather we are and saying goodby to winter.

Keep at it Dei. For more years than I care to think about I was always knee deep in one task or another. When I got multiple cars all I seemed to have were multiple knee deep projects. But last year it finally all came together. Sure, my cars all need body and interior work. Plus they all seem to leak oil or trans fluid too. But right now they are all turn key cars, and I can use anyone of them on any day I want. It just does not get better than that in my small part of the world! I hope you'll be at that part soon too!

Boy John, did you ever coin that right!:rolleyes:

After being inspired Friday by spending the afternoon with 1957BuickJim I had plans on Sunday to move along with the Special.....

These plated parts came out great!:D THANKS JIM!

post-36036-143143057571_thumb.jpg

Naturally, I knew when I took them over to him to be done I would place them where they belong and realize.... I'm going to have to further clean the engine bay up for the world to be right.:(

post-36036-143143057579_thumb.jpg

THEN......

Doesn't Mark (not the one getting married and wanting the Special) ask me if it was OK to go into the garage at home here and start fixing it up?

Back story, two winters ago one of my neighbour states she witnessed a raccoon climbing on the back garage roof and disappearing inside. Sure enough, didn't it pushed a hole through the aluminum screen on the tiny gable and been inside! :mad:

I have the 2nd Limited in there and she has been apart for a long time so with having the other garage hadn't gone inside that fall or noticed. I have been so upset by this, after I fixed the vent, just put everything on the back burner.... hence your statement John about being "knee deep in projects" is so right on!:eek::P:eek:

post-36036-143143057592_thumb.jpg

How does one say no to your child when you know in your mind things just have to get done?

So after my second cup of coffee kicked in, we put on our coveralls and masks to begin the clean up. Had to pull down the nasty insulation that was "nested in", push back up the useable pieces, replace the open gaps with new insulation I had on hand, staple the plastic back up and decided to strap the ceiling with 1/2 inch by 2 inch by 8 ft length wood in an effort to help keep it up, all with out removing the car out because it is on jack stands.

It took most of the afternoon to get just the front section fixed up enough to finally open the garage door!

post-36036-143143057629_thumb.jpg

The next step is to fix the plastic that is on the inside of the garage door that is letting go as you can see.

After dinner I took some time to caress my baby a bit and ponder how I'm going to devote my time (knee deep projects.... sheesh)

post-36036-143143057684_thumb.jpg

P.S. I did catch the whelp in a live trap!

No I didn't do what I wanted to do but took her for a long ride out to a Conservation Area where there is water and likely natural food for it so have not seen it since!.

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A HAPPY EASTER!

post-36036-143143057587_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143057625_thumb.jpg

I feel for ya Doug! Just moving ahead on the Special and then having to stop to back track on another. I can only recommend that you don't lose your focus on the Special. After all it's got a mission, and it is running again now.

Duly noted on your recommendation John.

I will indeed be focusing on the Special primarily. Putting the brakes back together with my rebuilt master cylinder and a new exhaust pipe (which I have up in the rafters) will get her back on her wheels and mobile. Then I can go over a few details that need some attention at my leisure.:rolleyes: I still have about a year and a half for this......... :P

But, with this hobby I have always said half the fun is getting there for me!

Let the fun begin / continue.

Helping to focus on the Special, our local parts supplier called to say he could make a deal on oil filters if I bought what he showed at the warehouse. So they came in today.

post-36036-143143060306_thumb.jpg

There were six in total but I have one sitting on the engine waiting to be installed. Look at the new box size compared to the NOS box. Gaskets are nice and flat in these!;)

Looks like you have enough for a few years for all your babies! Hope you are enjoying the weather today. Form what I hear, pretty fine day to work on your vehicle! I'm stuck in India on work project, so very envious!

Wow Jim! Half way around the world for work and you still want to be home working on the Long Roof. ;)

Yes the weather was fine today and I went to work on the Special. :) It might seem like a lot of oil filters to have on hand but with potentially three cars running down the road that's only two oil changes each.....

I sat the nos one I have and the new one together for comparison before I filled the canister and tightened it up.

post-36036-143143066312_thumb.jpg

Then I filled the engine up and wiped everything off before starting her up.

post-36036-143143066318_thumb.jpg

Thinking I had the oil canister tight I let her warm up some before checking. Could not believe I had to re-tighten it three times before it finally stopped seeping.:rolleyes:

Once that was taken care of I shut her down and proceeded with draining out the gas that was in the tank. I have been running it on new fuel from a gas can that I hooked up to the fuel pump, by passing the gas tank temporarily. There was only about four gallons in there and I took the air tank and blew the line back to the tank which seemed clear. With 5 gallons of fresh fuel back in I restarted her and listened and watched for any problems.

post-36036-143143066324_thumb.jpg

Have to say I'm happy with the readings after letting her idle for about 15 minutes or so. :D

Tomorrow I'm going to start on the brakes if I don't get side tracked and start sanding the rad cradle and front cross panel......

post-36036-143143066328_thumb.jpg

Great news there Doug! Yep, don't like to give my weekends away if I don't have to.. Sure looks nice with those flashy replated parts under the hood! Brakes should be easy, especially if you follow my long and arduous learning curve on what not to do. Now that you haven the old girl running, you better be able to get her to stop under her own power..that's always good!

Keep it up my friend! Reading your posts help me pass the time between work related efforts.

Today was one FINE DAY! It hit 70 degrees and was perfect for all things car! :D

Before retiring last night my son asks what my plan was for the next morning. (it always starts that way right?;)) After cleaning up (somewhat) in the garage at home, his youthful enthusiasm has him asking me if we could move his big a@@ tool box home and sit with the Limited where it will hold his 400 piece Mastercraft tool set (which has been taking up space in our spare bedroom).....

After my second cup of coffee off we went to get the trailer (of course needing to be cleaned out having not planned on this but..).

post-36036-143143067003_thumb.jpg

So here it rests. THANK HEAVENS IT'S ON WHEELS! LOL

post-36036-143143067093_thumb.jpg

I keep telling him I can't wait to get the motor from the Limited up on that nice new laminated wood work top! That thing is nicer than our kitchen counters. :rolleyes:

I just have to tease him some as I'll miss this when he graduates and moves on...

None the less I left him with his toys and proceeded back to the Special as was my original intention for the day. With a bit more room decided to reorganize some and collect / wipe down tools I had used around the car. Next thing I find myself doing is wiping a few smudge marks off the fenders, putting a rag to the fender chrome and with things out of the way, looked down at the grill.....

I have not touched it since 2006 that I remember so....

post-36036-143143067102_thumb.jpg

I only had time to do the passenger side when the phone rang telling me supper was ready.

post-36036-143143067108_thumb.jpg

I took this shot to point out the provenance of my car. I bought this car in 1972 after driving my now parts car Limited for about a year. Back then here in Ontario, Canada you had to turn in your old License plates annually (not unlike the rest of North America) but if you notice the date on my plate it is 1973. In 1974 we went to the little sticker system (for the same money naturally) using the last plate you bought and I decided to keep this plate licensed to prove I have indeed owned it all these years rather than put an Antique Plate on even though it's less expensive.

post-36036-143143067133_thumb.jpg

I was able to sneak a few hours in today and start on the brakes.

Started with the right front as it looks like the worse one.

post-36036-143143078305_thumb.jpg

Thankfully everything came off without a hitch.

post-36036-143143078309_thumb.jpg

No wonder I had trouble with the brakes.....

post-36036-143143078314_thumb.jpg

Need to spend some time with my drill and a wire brush before I paint the backing plate.

post-36036-143143078318_thumb.jpg

Spent time at the wire wheel stand on these.

post-36036-143143078338_thumb.jpg

An hour here, an hour there, a little bit closer to dropping her back on her wheels. :D

Sunday, somewhat all over the place (really wanting to spend the day on brakes)...

With yard work coming up soon decided to sharpen the self propelled mower blade and fire it up with fresh gas. Good on the blade but NO GO ON STARTING!:mad: This Toro is only four years old, runs 5 hours per week and has not stood up as expected. It has a five year warrantee so guess where it is going Monday.....

Looked at the Special and decided the smart thing for me was not to get into doing "the Smartin treatment" under the hood right now.:( Better to concentrate on getting everything in dependable running condition again to be ready for the wedding. I can do that during the winter (oh oh, bad word).

That meant bolting the freshly plated parts back on and making sure the hood shuts / locks properly since the hood pin was taken apart for plating.

post-36036-143143080998_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143081008_thumb.jpg

Then there was the obligatory continuation with polishing the grill before it was time to go home and BBQ.....

Moving forward.

post-36036-143143080965_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143081004_thumb.jpg

Not big progress this week, a few distractions...

I did manage to take the backing plate off the front right wheel in order to give it a good cleaning and a coating of paint.

post-36036-143143090895_thumb.jpg

post-36036-14314309089_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if there is a specific torque requirement for the backing plate bolts?

I had to put a bar on the ratchet in order to get the bottom two loose.

post-36036-143143090885_thumb.jpg

Thanks Willy for the direction. Found some charts on the net like you said but need to confirm thread count etc.. and look through the chassis manual. ;)

Picked up my battery hold down and sanded it up before shooting it with a rattle can.

Since I'm using a spare battery I have had on a solar charger in the garage it might be time to go and get a new correct fitting one since she is running now.

post-36036-143143093582_thumb.jpg

I'll maybe get back to the brakes on the weekend. Lot's of irons in the fire right now......

Work gave me a couple of hours today to look for a new battery which was an ordeal..... :P

It seems Tractor Supply Company here in Canada known as TSC does not know or able to supply the 12V battery for my Buick's any more!:mad: (This is essentially a tractor or lift truck battery listed as a 3EE)

It took some calling around and it seems I will be buying one from a re-conditioner supplier here at home for less than what it would take to go across the border to get one at the parts suppliers in Michigan. Yeah!:D

This is one that I used for the car that I might see if this company can rebuild just because it is a Delco case.

To be continued....

post-36036-143143094822_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143094817_thumb.jpg

LOL :D:eek::D

Must be the way I took the picture Mike as weight wise it isn't much heavier than a regular battery. It is a bit awkward though using the battery post carrier being they are offset of center.....

Tough right now trying to make progress with the Special, a lot taking place on different fronts..... more after the 13th.

Did manage to slip by the battery place who had this on the shelf. For $131.00 CDN (that's about $99.00 USD) I thought that was a pretty good deal!:D

Even the case looks exactly like my old Delco. :cool:

post-36036-143143104442_thumb.jpg

Just need to clean up the battery tray area before putting it in place.

Dave, in the '58 Buick's it is pretty much a straight drop onto the tray, tighten down the holder and put on the cables. Does the Cadillac require a bit more manuvering to get it in place?

post-36036-14314310605_thumb.jpg

As stated before, I need to clean up the tray and paint it to at least preserve it from deteriorating further.

It's going to be difficult to get the time needed to finish the brakes right now so putzing away with small items here and there. My parents both need me since they are still living in their own home. Their future plans are up in the air till after the 13th.....

Doug,

I've appreciated your thread and as a result have acquired a taste for the '58. Prior, I thought it was over the top, (no offense intended) but the character now appeals. $131 Canadian is a great price for the long case. They were closing in on $200USD the last time I checked. I cheated and installed a 6v Optima in my '49 when a seam my long case opened. I drained it and will use it for shows.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for the feedback. Glad you have acquired the taste. :)

Over the top? ;) Not offended one bit!

Imagine though driving your 1st car, one black '58 Buick Limited 2dr to High School in 1972 and hearing the jibs from everyone starring at you especially when you thought it was the cats meow!!!! Then I was offended but got over it soon after when some of my class mates wanted to go for a ride because they didn't have a car. It wasn't until I bought the red Special convert that I managed to get a few girls to go for a ride....

Then the 58's became even more cool!!! :cool:

post-36036-143143106224_thumb.jpg

WOW! Checked my thread this morning and noticed while I slept it went over 10,00O views!

Dare I say thank you to those who felt it interesting enough to follow along!?

While it isn't the usual restoration / advice thread it has been a fun exercise for me to to share my experiences and love of my cars (frustrations included). :)

To be continued....

WOW! Checked my thread this morning and noticed while I slept it went over 10,00O views!

Dare I say thank you to those who felt it interesting enough to follow along!?

While it isn't the usual restoration / advice thread it has been a fun exercise for me to to share my experiences and love of my cars (frustrations included). :)

To be continued....

I'm tellin' ya, the 58 is catching on...