ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Took an hour after supper last night and finished cleaning up the battery tray. Needed to take my mind off things so was able to get paint on too.

post-36036-143143107835_thumb.jpg

Tonight after cleaning up the battery cables and a few other dirty contacts, placed the battery and tightened everything up.

post-36036-143143107844_thumb.jpg

Then I managed to fix what I noticed on the underside of the front bumper above the license plate. Someone at some time had put a hook on it likely to tow her and it had pulled down some and I thought now was as good a time as any to try and push it up in place. With my trusty old bottle jack I placed it in two different spots and used the weight of the car to force it back up.

post-36036-143143107875_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143143107867_thumb.jpg

No harm done to the chrome and looks better.:)

I probably have lived with it all this time not giving it too much thought but figured I would give it a try before calling it a day.

Not sure when I can get on the brakes to make some real progress but it will happen eventually.

post-36036-143143107871_thumb.jpg

post-36036-14314310784_thumb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

WOW! Didn't realize how addicted I was to these Forums until this offline three day upgrade! :lol:

Managed to "tinker in the garage" some and took off the front license plate to clean the chrome better. It has not been off since 1973 and as you can expect, the bolts were not very co-operative.

post-80315-0-46776200-1431591460_thumb.p

Then decided to buy a new frame to clean things up a bit more.

post-80315-0-32702900-1431591560_thumb.p

Work is keeping me busy (which is good) and I get a call today regarding an address I kept thinking I should know but can't quite place. Drove up and here is what I see.

post-80315-0-00555200-1431591934_thumb.j

I know, I know, this is a Buick site however.....

This house is a landmark home in that it was built by local 'Rum Runner' Harry Low which is a great read and then purchased by Paul Martin Sr., Canadian Politician whose son Paul Martin Jr. was Prime Minister of Canada.

The new owner has been restoring the house to it's 1920's glory (another great read) and will be holding a charitable fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society this June 6 & 7th which will have his Model A on display and possibly a few more. Wish my Whippet was running.....

post-80315-0-70606900-1431593001_thumb.p

With the last two days of rain and Monday being our Holiday (Victoria Day) tried to get to the Special but then my son needed my help in pulling the trany out of his '91 Mustang. Since my garages are fllled to the brim with antiques and my Buick's, he has no choice but to do the work under a portable garage I have right in front of my garage at home where the good Limited is. 

I managed to reattach the steering box I took off to clean under it and the frame, put the left front wheel back on, clear more things out I had placed under the suspension, while he worked on his car and asking me to pass him a tool or two before needing me to help with the actual trany removal.

post-80315-0-76918600-1431827335_thumb.j

The plan is to get the LIMITED back on her wheels, roll it out and clean up the back half, where there is still insulation hanging, after he gets his car back together.

post-80315-0-21778900-1431827822_thumb.j

This is going to be one of my busiest summers yet......

• 3 weeks later...

Not much is being done on the Buick's with working 9 to 10 hours a day for the last two weeks or so.

The grass has been growing like WEEDS! I had to replace the bent deck on my riding lawn mower and had to put it to work quickly!

post-80315-0-46878600-1433123471_thumb.j

The old girl still pulls her weight. Didn't look pretty but after three hours and close to 2 hundred pounds of grass later....

Then I had to work this weekend and naturally with the Grand Prix being held this weekend on Belle Isle doesn't the weather turn south! (or should I say come in from the south) That's Detroit on the horizen with Belle Isle just a bit to the right of center.

post-80315-0-15158000-1433123733_thumb.j

Today (Sunday) it has been raining steady and hard since Saturday morning. I went to check on the garage and.......

post-80315-0-32829200-1433124178_thumb.p

Thanks to my neighbours being allowed to build "UP" around me over the years, this is what is pooling right behind the garage.

post-80315-0-91787100-1433124328_thumb.p

This is around the south side and I now have two industrial fans going inside to help dry up the wet damp floor! I have some serious landscaping to do to avoid this in the future.

After reading problems of others in Texas I know things could be worse so will stop whining now.

The bright spot going on is Dad has turned the bend after 8 weeks since his surgery and feeling stronger and has more energy which is a relief for us all! I'm hoping next weeks review with the Doctor will have a good prognosis after examining him and the latest scans. 

If I may ask those that have been following along to keep him (Albert) in your thoughts? He turned 91 on the 4th and still keeps me on my toes!

Had to unload equipment and clean out the truck from a week of long hours work so decided to fire up the Special to keep things operating. So far she is firing right up and with 5 gallons of fresh high test seems to be liking it!

Hoping things settle into a normal pace soon and get on with those brakes.......

Wish I could get to the National this year, maybe next year. Anxious to read / see everyones posts!

• Like 1

Man Do I Hate Mondays!

With working 7 days a week for (ever?) I did manage to complete a job earlier than normal (for once) and took the advantage to go to the Special and see if I can get motivated again!

Decided the stuff placed on the roof needed to come off! And then went further to put the top down.

Then, decided to pull out the rechromed rear bumper center section to help keep motivated and moving along...

I think I should go ahead and put the redone ends and lower rails on to make her look not so .... used?

Guess I should also replace the crunched wheel trim I have lived with all these years with the good ones I purchased from Wheat belt.

If any one can find an extra 4 hours a day for me, let me know OK?

ONE LAST TIME!

Man Do I Hate Mondays!

With working 7 days a week for (ever?) I did manage to complete a job earlier than normal (for once) and took the advantage to go to the Special and see if I can get motivated again!

Decided the stuff placed on the roof needed to come off! And then went further to put the top down.

post-80315-0-93136300-1433813941_thumb.j post-80315-0-58072300-1433814275_thumb.j 

Then, decided to pull out the rechromed rear bumper center section to help keep motivated and moving along...

post-80315-0-95093400-1433814419_thumb.j post-80315-0-71825600-1433814557_thumb.j

I think I should go ahead and put the redone ends and lower rails on to make her look not so .... used?

Guess I should also replace the crunched wheel trim I have lived with all these years with the good ones I purchased from Wheat belt.

If any one can find an extra 4 hours a day for me, let me know OK?

Doug, man...you are the tireless worker!  The car is looking GOOD!!! Keep plugging at it one hour at a time, my man. And by next year, we will be heading to Allentown in a Motown Caravan of 57's and 58's..That should cause a traffic jam or two for sure! I'll be sure to post pictures of this year's Nationals for you for sure!

Bessie is ready for the trip. Leaving Thursday afternoon, and will arrive in Springfield on Friday noonish. Oh, by the way, I'm driving Bessie to Nationals. No trailer queen Buick here!

Wish me luck!

(man...you are the tireless worker!)

Jim,

Not quite right there, it is more like "the TIRED worker"! But hey, I have no one to blame but myself for choosing to be self employed! :rolleyes:  It really is like any other seasonal occupation, you have to make hay while the sun shines, so be it.

(And by next year, we will be heading to Allentown in a Motown Caravan of 57's and 58's....)

Man, that is / will be the target! What a testament for me and the car to say we did it before my son's wedding on September 17, 2016! Of course I'm hoping to get some road testing in this year so I won't have any break downs to Allentown......

I appreciate your kind works about how she looks but we all know pictures can hide a thousand sins right? Probably isn't fooling most by what I have posted so far but even my son said that he can't believe how it is cleaning up.

Having said that, I was able to get home today and eat supper with everyone at a normal time for a change but scooted off to the Special since watching the tube didn't seem worthwhile!

The posting of you guys projects must be rubbing off with the work you make look so easy since I seem to be noticing things that are starting to bug me after 40 plus years of just maintaining my car!

I went back tonight to take off the door handles which must have been replaced at one time (before I bought her) and one has red material and the other grey.....

post-80315-0-89863700-1433898913_thumb.j 

I now want them to be recovered in black since the interior is black & white.

post-80315-0-77740500-1433899142_thumb.j

Next I want to have the plastic re-chromed. Does anyone know who to suggest for this?

Naturally while wiping down the door panel don't I start with chrome cleaner on the window frames, horn ring and etc......

post-80315-0-97202400-1433899392_thumb.j

I almost feel like I'm 17 again! (not really!) ha ha

Bessie is ready for the trip. Leaving Thursday afternoon, and will arrive in Springfield on Friday noonish. Oh, by the way, I'm driving Bessie to Nationals. No trailer queen Buick here!

Wish me luck!

JIM,

Meant to indeed wish you good luck and a safe enjoyable trip!

Bet you have the same back up things in the trunk you had for your last National! (just in case)

Take lots of pictures please. It isn't as close as South Bend was for a long one day, but successful swap meet reason to go this time so will live vicariously through everyone's pics.

HAVE A GOOD TIME! :D

After a job cancelled due to a tornado watch and only had heavy down pours, I went back to the garage to see what I could do with the arm rests.

Managed to carefully peel back the vinyl with a putty knife without ruining the formed padding which seems to be in good shape.

post-80315-0-24264200-1433977487_thumb.j

With some work on the wire wheel the metal plates cleaned up nicely. Going to go to my local car supplier and see if I can get a black vinyl with similar grain and try my hand at glueing it on. 

One surprise when I stopped to think about it was the plastic bases you actually grab to close the doors. I don't believe there is any other plastic on the car at all. To me this is somewhat interesting for 1958 considering today just about everything is plastic! 

post-80315-0-37683700-1433978140_thumb.j

Friday I went by the parts store, who has an assortment of vinyl, at lunch time and purchased what looked like the right stuff for the armrest recover.... With a weather front moved in it shortened an otherwise long day of cutting grass so off to the Special.

Turns out it is the right grain but.... more of a flat finish which looked like crap next the door panels! Decided to call an upholstery shop who said bring in something of a sample and see what they have. Took the top boot cover with me and was able to get something more to my liking. 

He asked me if I wanted to try and do it myself and thought, why not?

Can tell you it takes a GOOD pair of sharp sizzors and a few razor blades but....

post-80315-0-47864200-1434193837_thumb.j

Went from this.....

post-80315-0-00541900-1434193926_thumb.j

Too this.

post-80315-0-65879700-1434193999_thumb.j

This morning is not looking good weather wise either so will go back today and finish the other door.

THEN.... there are still those brakes.

Thanks Dave!

I was happy with the result on the first one for sure, then today I worked on the second one and struggled a bit but think it is OK....

post-80315-0-27063100-1434251282_thumb.j 

Decided it was the best I could do so put it back on the car.

post-80315-0-21147100-1434251362_thumb.j

Then I went home for lunch and saw this where I usually sit.

post-80315-0-83587000-1434251550_thumb.j

Seems my son has most of his parts for the "simple" trany rebuild (it's never just that  :P) and decided mom's table was a good place to open some packages! (I can't get away with that...when she's home...)

This is his first car too since he got his license so the legacy continues.......

post-80315-0-32211900-1434251893_thumb.j

I did have to comment on his "red?" pressure plate though. He said because it is inside it really doesn't matter. OK - LOLpost-80315-0-79579000-1434252461_thumb.j

And then I went back to the Special to make an effort on the brakes!post-80315-0-36611100-1434252560_thumb.j

Brought the drum home to clean it up and need to order some grease seals for sure but it is a step forward. 

Glad to see you back on the brakes Dei. Thats the most important part of any vehicle except for the steering. For part time hobbiests my theory is start and finish one job at a time. Otherwise the project just gets too overwhelming when several things all need to be done at once, and you don't know which part to advance next.

But the arm rests do look very good. Nice job.

Thanks John for the words of wisdom and compliment.

It's the detail (little things) that I have not attended to on this car all these years that are helping to keep me motivated and moving forward. Seeing those simple changes and knowing what it was like before well, you get the idea. 

Distraction has been my companion this last while due to my Dad & Mom who are getting along OK still in their home for the most part, but know they need me for the house demands and support regarding his cancer. I'm happy to report that there has been no progression found so far since his last surgery and his next scan is scheduled for November (a good thing) but at 91 and the type of cancer it is, the Doctors are stating they will not prescribe chemo therapy unless absolutely necessary.

We are making the most of every good day we can now and having good conversations about the future. There are no singes of dementia from either of them and that does help some to cope for the most part.

Mean time, checked with a shop that is willing to turn the front drums since I don't want to run new linings on them as they are and do not have new ones for replacement. I have new rear drums so if time allows, will start the right rear brake soon and knock the list down another notch....... 

Oh, and you can best believe there will be video of the first day she drives out of the garage!

• Like 1

Dropped off the front drums late today and now need to find two new wheel grease seals. One looks like someone took a hammer to it and beat the crap out of the thing putting it in! :angry:

Have to wait and see how the drums measure out but looks like there is plenty of meat left for a turning.

After supper went over to the Special and decided to look at the rear right brakes.

post-80315-0-86009600-1434597206_thumb.j

Pulled things apart and it is a good thing as the wheel cylinder is frozen too.

post-80315-0-72012800-1434597347_thumb.j

Fortunately the wheel seal looks to be in good shape as there is nothing leaking down the backing plate so will wheel things down and shoot a coat of paint on before reassembling things. (possibly tomorrow as the forecast is for rain again! :wacko: )

After several hours of yard work, called around to locate new wheel seals with no luck so far.

post-80315-0-29053000-1434714969_thumb.j post-80315-0-69324500-1434715175_thumb.j

Just can't believe how beat up they are.....

Then looked at the windshield dash trim and realized I had one piece that wasn't finished. Did some wet sanding but need to buy a can of gloss black to finish it.

post-80315-0-69434400-1434715529_thumb.j

Was going to put another 5 gallons of high test in but this is what the price was when I pulled up! This is per Litre guys & gals...... and the Holiday weekend is just two weeks away (which we have been told has nothing to do with the pricing - ya right!) That works out to $522.90 per US gallon.

Guess I will be running the regular stuff (corn included) for the summer and save the high test for the last fill up for the winter.

post-80315-0-88633300-1434715737_thumb.j

Wow! Thats some markup! Gas all along our trip to the nationals was from $2.53 to $3.12 for regular grade with ethanol. Except Springfield where it was $2.78 for non ethanol.

Btw, if what I read was right, you would be better off with regular grade for the winter. Hi test has more ethanol, and chances are if you run the engine over the winter you will probably just run it at an idle anyways.

Yes John you are right! In fact it is almost criminal what we pay up here in Canada.....

Especially when we scrape oil out of the sands in Alberta, ship it south to be refined and then buy it back because we have no refineries here.

I remember when Canada decided to go metric and the price was set at 18 cents per litre to help offset the cost of conversion for the poor gas companies recalibrating their pumps etc. That would make the per gallon cost about 68 cents per gal back then.

I have a 2011 F 150 work truck that has a 122 litre tank. Today at the 1.23 per litre price it is not unusual to have fill up costs of $140 to $150 if I let it get that low! Fortunately I get good fuel economy with the V6 and it can last two weeks or so. 

The Special has a 20 US gallon tank according to the manual and recommends premium fuel but runs ok on regular (likely due to the high mileage and wear?) but not going to figure the cost as it is supposed to be a hobby right?

Funny, just last week our tourism rep talked about what a great destination place Canada is and they are doing everything they can do to promote tourism. The next day in the editorial section of our paper one person suggested lowering the price of fuel (less taxes) to avoid sticker shock for visiting tourists.....

Because I live on the Border I will at times pay the 11 dollars involved to slip over and purchase gas right at the bridge which is discounted some due to being sold for export only and have saved as much as 55 dollars when all is said and done on the Ford fill up. Recently I have to take into account the exchange rate which is back up (lowering my purchasing power) again.....

(Better get off the rant before the moderator feels this needs to be deleted)

Anyway, such is life here in Canada.

Checked on the drums and they are finished and still within specs. Phew!

Just need to wait for the seals (a couple of days), paint the hubs, grease the bearings and finish installing the fronts. :blink:

Stopped in to pick up the drums and seals, which came from somewhere in Quebec, between jobs so I'd have them for the weekend. Also picked up another rattle can later which again, I stopped by to spray on a coat to dry between jobs. 

Starting to get the bug to be on the road again!

post-80315-0-68695200-1435373285_thumb.j post-80315-0-50890000-1435373364_thumb.j

Looks like I will get the chance to work on these this weekend as the forecast is for rain starting tonight through Monday morning (IF the garage doesn't flood again! :angry: )

Yesterday was not good for the Special..... Mother Nature won the day!  :(

For once the weatherman was right about the amount of rain (sadly) which was predicted at about 3 inches for the day.

It started for me like this when I pulled up at around 11 am....

post-80315-0-62762400-1435496224_thumb.j

Checked out back and found this with steady down bursts, gusty winds and having to avoid falling small dead branches....

post-80315-0-42899500-1435496325_thumb.j

Further around the side I was walking in 8 inches of water with no signs of it letting up so grabbed my shovel and was determined to drain this lake somehow....

post-80315-0-28026300-1435496804_thumb.j

After 6 hours at digging a trench out to the street and managing to not fall on my aQQ I staved off what could have been a LOT worse. :unsure::o

post-80315-0-12261900-1435497125_thumb.j post-80315-0-47907300-1435497274_thumb.j 

With four neighbours around having built their properties up over the years, today I see the biggest culprit for sure as a result of his recent backyard landscape work last year. The fact this year is exceptionally wet isn't helping either!

post-80315-0-39666700-1435497506_thumb.j

Guess I'm going to try and have a friendly conversation with him (before I get the city involved) but we all know how that goes.......  :rolleyes:

Managed an hour at the Special and painted the rear brakes drums (no pictures). Laid out the brake parts in a large aluminium pan ready for instalation on the right rear.

Headed home and dug this out:

post-80315-0-39152700-1436127414_thumb.j 

Not sure with the price of gas I'm going to install it - LOL  :lol:

So with another rainy day in paradise, I went to not only check on the new drainage ditch but decided to take apart the driver side front brakes. This wheel cylinder is frozen too and I got lucky with soaking the steel line and undoing the connection into the flex line! Phew!

That line looks in good condition (no rust) so will look further underneath back to the connector block in hopes of not having to replace the front two steel lines, although, with all the oil and grease over the years, not expecting anything bad. 

Placed a hose on the line on the right side to flush it and the master till clean fluid came out. Then hooked up the new wheel cylinder on that side. Did the same thing on the left side but just plugged the line for now till I clean up everything and install the new wheel cylinder and flex hose. 

Not huge progress but moving in the right direction.....

Before disassembly.

post-80315-0-90468400-1436315612_thumb.j

Picture of the painted new rear drums waiting to go on once the clean up is done....

post-80315-0-02788700-1436315895_thumb.j

Was going to put another 5 gallons of high test in but this is what the price was when I pulled up! This is per Litre guys & gals...... and the Holiday weekend is just two weeks away (which we have been told has nothing to do with the pricing - ya right!) That works out to $522.90 per US gallon.

20150612_090656.jpg

You almost made me pass out... that is over 500 cents per gallon, not 500 dollars! The pump is in cents, weirdly (whew)

You almost made me pass out... that is over 500 cents per gallon, not 500 dollars! The pump is in cents, weirdly (whew)

Sheeesh! How embarrassing!  :o  My bad.....

Sorry everyone.

Prime example where proof reading is required!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I need to do some venting as the summer is slipping away fast....

I guess naturally everyone's life is fraught with challenges and the ones I thought were ahead of me have gone down that winding road.

We lost my mother-in-law on the evening of July 8th at the age of 90 which has been tough not only for my wife and boys but me too. She was a special lady, very close to my two boys (her only grandchildren) and a super mother-in-law to me. How many can say that theirs would take your side almost from day one and chastise their daughter for not taking better care of you with what ever the issue was at that time?! Even though she had that Edith Bunker like manner sometimes, as a Registered Nurse since 1947, she had a warm helping heart. 

Rest in peace Mom.

Consequently, with work still in play, the Buick is still resting patiently on her stands as time needs to be spent with finalizing the estate requirements..... 

Doug, 

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers and condolences go out to your family. She sounded like she had a heart of gold..

Yes, the Buick will wait patiently while you attend to the more pressing issues..

BTW, nice job on the drums and brakes! Looking almost "Jim-ish" there!  :)

Keep up the faith, my friend. A little at a time...

Jim

John & Jim,

Thanks so much for the kind words. Much appreciated. 

I went back shortly after posting, rereading and edited it some as I realized it wasn't quite what I wanted to express. (was at a low moment...) After the following my thread has generated (which has surprised me a lot) the last thing I wanted to do was turn someone off in a weak moment.

I know the effort needed now and time will heal things plus, while having had the Buick's this long, another month or so before getting back 'on the road again' isn't a big deal in the scope of things.

Meanwhile, like everyone else, life carries on and.... it's off to work.