dei

ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

It might be hard to see from my picture but the carpet in the back is what I believe to be the original. The Limited (not sure about the Roadmasters) have a different weave carpet from my Special and recall others asking about where to get this original type replacement. Surprisingly it was up to being vacuumed but way to much critter dust to even think about saving.

post-36036-143141864796_thumb.jpg

The lines on the drivers side are from a floor mat that was there all these years.

Any thoughts on saving those seat belts. A few buckles are rusty and you can see some staining.

Doug

BCA# 35039

Yup, that's the original Teddy Bear Fur carpet that Buick's high end models used in both '57 and '58. I haven't yet seen a good facsimile of it that's available today. Regarding the windshield - shrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Ouch, my throat hurts now.

Well Rob, it just....... SUCKS!

The one priority thing I was hoping to save! Thanks for the shriek, I was too shocked when I heard it crack to do much of anything. The next thing I heard the wife calling, asking me how long before I come in for supper. Decided to quit right then, eat and go back out later to clean up tools and parts.

My luck the back window will come out fine and that one I really don't need. However, I do remember Adam saying his back window shattered for some reason in his house so I guess I'm in good company.

Part of the reason I wanted to be able to save the front window, not only to save a few bucks for a new one, but because it has a sticker on it that was there when Dad bought the car from a young guy who had just been married and needed something a bit newer and better. See, the Limited had been his Dad's car before his brother & him and Sr. worked for what became Transit Windsor (our bus line) from it's parent company SW&A RR. It's origin was being an electric railway back in the early 1900's, then changing to SWA&A Bus lines and then to Transit Windsor.

post-36036-143141866957_thumb.jpg

Not sure what it would cost or take to reproduce another one. Will have to ask my (soon to be an engineer) son.

Naturally the phone is starting to ring now regarding business and looks like I will be working this coming Saturday and possibly Sunday but it has been way too slow this winter and not complaining. Just going to have to sneak some hours in the evening now that it is staying lighter longer.

Doug

BCA# 35039

Very cool transit logo. I was in Hamilton a couple of years ago and was pleased to see the city busses are still operated by the Hamilton Street Railway.

post-59990-143141868559_thumb.jpg

Being that I work outside and it has been raining since midnight with no relief forecast, decided to dig into the Limited info box and came upon this.

post-36036-143141868959_thumb.jpg

Look at that bumper.

When Dad bought the car, the rear bumper ends were badly rusted through so not knowing much about 58 Limiteds, went to the local wrecking yard and bought another complete Buick bumper. Didn't take long to see there was a difference! After calling around other yards to find the correct bumper with no success he decided to use this bumper and made it work by using threaded rod with adjusting nuts to allow for the gap. It was funny to see the back up lights come on and light up the ground as there was no place in the Special / Century bumper ends for them. Guess we had the fad of putting lights under the car way before it became popular with the ricer gang!

The picture is the winter of 71/72 parked on the front lawn after the universal joint had broken. With dad deciding to give me the car that winter I burned a lot of gas keeping the battery up and dreaming of being on the road soon.

Doug

BCA# 35039

And in an effort to further spark my need to get organized and focus.....

Here is some of the rear bumper parts I had rechromed from the Limited that Dad bought, put on her and will fit my Special some day.

Everybody likes bling right?

post-36036-143141869045_thumb.jpg

Doug

BCA# 35039

And.....

A few of the Limited parts collected over the years. Several of these actually were saved from my car.

post-36036-143141869076_thumb.jpg

Doug

BCA# 35039

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY, little Dougie (really) wants to play.

With three pieces of lawn equipment needing attention for my properties, have to spend time getting those in order on my only day off....

So the rain has stopped, the phone is ringing and work is coming in.... YEAH!

But no working on the Limited this weekend....

So, from the Limited box, a shot of her in better days, 1975.

That's Dad's 70 LeSabre he bought to replace the Limited as he needed a car when the U-joint broke and the early 60 Corvair was my sisters that she drove out to Arizona and back two times in order to have wheels there. She learned there that they called Corvairs 'Mexican Road Oilers' due to leaking valve covers. Hers did need replacing when she finally came home for good.

post-36036-143141878428_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Too busy working to get time for the Limited right now, that will change some soon enough, so...

One more from the box....

post-36036-143141882868_thumb.jpg

Wished I'd treated this picture better before I was able to scan it. That's Mom's 65 Olds Delta 88 Dad found somehow. It seemed he was able to find Oldsmobile's and Buick's that while having 60,000 to 80,000 miles on them, were usually owned by senior gentlemen who faithfully maintained them and usually garage kept for a good price.

What is not quite clear to see, is the red furry seat covers I had on the Limited! MY BAD!

Interestingly (or not) I came across a box last week in the garage to keep that organizing thing going that still had those covers in it!!!!! Guess my wife is right, it's about time!

Had to steal an hour and a half this evening to look under the hood at the rods and brackets that hold the Hood insulation in place for someone. The rods are MIA and a quick look in the garage was not fruitful! That organized thing is really in play as I'm sure I did not throw them out but where are they......

The hood is toast but the brackets are salvageable.

post-36036-14314188655_thumb.jpg

rear center rod bracket

post-36036-143141886591_thumb.jpg

front center rod bracket

Went to close the hood and.... it almost folded at the hinge on the drivers side! YIKES!

One more from the box...

DOUG, I so regret that I have very few photos of the cars I grew up with. The iPhoto programme that came with my Mac has some image-enhancing features than can bring a photo back to life. Although this one was damaged in storage, it looks a little better now.

post-59990-14314188735_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Yes it does look somewhat better. I can even just about see more clearly those red fuzzy seat covers. Poor Limited.... but the few girls I took for a ride in it didn`t say anything bad (back then - think 70`s) ha ha

Because this is about ME ...... & my 1958 Buick's... and because work has taken me away from progressing on my Limited, thought I'd share a shot about work today that, after about 11 and a half hours, just caught me in the moment.

The place is on the Canadian side of the usually 'forgotten Great Lake', Lake St. Clair and about 7:30pm. What I tried to capture was a Lake Freighter (with no success) in the reflection coming down stream towards the Detroit River, the sun was still bright, the temps were perfect and I was the only person on the work site with calm winds and about 40 feet in the air.

Sometimes you just have to take a moment and "smell the roses".

post-36036-143141889789_thumb.jpg

Hey there...

It has been too busy to work on the "cars" and after almost 4wks of 7 days/wk.... FINALLY have this weekend (Sunday) off!

Went back behind the garage to look at the Limited tonight and found....

post-36036-143141931146_thumb.jpg

Man this season has made things growing crazy with the rain and temps this year!

Have decided to grab the moment and take Dad and the Whippet to our local Car Club Annual Event this weekend since she fired right up the other night and counted off those four cylinders with pride! In my heart it is still Dad's car and I know he loves to get out and see the guys.

post-36036-143141931184_thumb.jpg

Will get to the Limited soon.

I am no one to talk about getting to any car jobs soon, but it looks like that Limited needs a few more inches between it and the ground or when you do get to it, it will be to drag it off to the junkyard.EDIT: OOPS, did not realize that was the goal for this car.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

I am no one to talk about getting to any car jobs soon, but it looks like that Limited needs a few more inches between it and the ground or when you do get to it, it will be to drag it off to the junkyard.EDIT: OOPS, did not realize that was the goal for this car.

Yes John,

sadly this car has seen it's day but... parts will live on in another "identical" Limited I have and some of the few parts that will share among my other 58's as required. It's about being self employed and "making hay while the sun shines" (as Dad used to say) that is in play right now.

Well my day off wasn't spent on the Limited as I would have liked but but took Dad (89) and my (his) Whippet to our local car club Spring Show.

post-36036-143141937735_thumb.jpg

This is about Buicks so.... check out those hub caps on the trailer!

Just before I closed the garage door I heard my Special calling to me asking, "when will I be going out to a car show again?"

post-36036-143141937766_thumb.jpg

While the car attendance was down a bit due to three other competing shows, the Buick marque was well represented and this one really caught my eye. It was listed as a 1934 two door sedan.

post-36036-14314193779_thumb.jpg

The body, paint and outward appearance at first glance looked to be of an original restored car but.... looking inside and spotting the tilt modern steering wheel and the interior seat treatment.... still...... a really beautiful looking Buick!

The top to the day was seeing Dad driving one of the clubs donated brass Model T trucks through the Pass & Review. The MC asked him, "Isn't this like the one you drove when you were a kid?" Dad replied, "mine was a '22 and that was in the early 40's but a T none the less."

post-36036-143141937814_thumb.jpg

So we both had a fun day! Better yet, together!

Glad you had a fun day with your father! Next weekend should be even better! Matt

Guess we jumped Fathers Day a week early and if it never gets any better (which was GREAT) than this past weekend it is really all that matters, making the most of the situation when you can!

In the end, the material things are just that, things.... but family is really all that matters. I took many pictures and video to help me remember the moments in my declining years hopefully a while down the road.....

To all my fellow Canadian Buick Members, HAPPY CANADA DAY!

Hope you all can enjoy your family and friends and maybe a bit of Buick time too.

For me it has been a "one step forward and two backwards" situation these past few days with having to deal with my mother who appears to have had a mild stroke. No one called me till Friday evening and while she was sent home, we have to spend Tuesday at the hospital to further evaluate the results and possible consequences. With Mom being the only licensed driver and still living in their own home at 85 & 89, life just might be taking that big left turn for us all....

In the mean time, I have been dealing with too much rainy weather this past week and the swarms of mosquitoes (even during the day time) like we have not seen for a few years making outside work very difficult.

Then... on Saturday morning went out to the truck and found the drivers door not fully closed. While waiting for the wipers to clear the windshield, looked around and realized my portable GPS was not on the floor. I called my son, thinking he might have borrowed it (he usually asks me first) and he said no he had not. I was sure I had locked the doors but apparently didn't set the alarm. I did however leave the window cracked open just a bit as my driveway is on the west side of the house and the heat can be terrible sometimes. They/he/ THIEF must have figured that out and used something (coat hanger?) to hit the electric locks (thanks FORD designers!). Later that afternoon I looked around further and noticed my digital camera that sits in its case in the lower pocket of the side door was missing too! I had some pictures of my work on it and Dad and the Limited that I had not down loaded yet.....

It had to be a grab & dash as they totally missed the more than 6 bucks of loose change sitting in the cup holder of the console!

To add to the frustration, the Police told me I had to go online and file a report if I wanted to get a copy of the report by e-mail free. WHAT! Otherwise there would be a charge to send a written report to me for insurance purposes! My first attempt, timed out (getting old?). The second attempt, would not accept all the information I thought it asked for.....

Guess my second cup of coffee has kicked in as I'm ranting now!

I have stated before that things are just that, things and will give it the importance it deserves and concentrate on Mom & Dad. I have insurance and the truck wasn't damaged, however, there is one more "thing" I'm looking into....... a possible surveilence system!

I wonder what it will cost me to submit my copy of the culprit in action for the Police to catch this guy????

What a spate of bad luck! Hope Mom is okay! And maybe it pays to check your local craigslist- Kiwi? to see if your stuff is listed for sale. God knows the cops won't do it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]191820[/ATTACH]

This almost looks like a photo of something found on the Titanic.

What a spate of bad luck! Hope Mom is okay! And maybe it pays to check your local craigslist- Kiwi? to see if your stuff is listed for sale. God knows the cops won't do it.

Thanks John for the few words on my rant (sometimes it helps).

Mom fortunately has not had a stroke but.... the event is a fore warning of the potential that can / might happen and currently is undergoing a bunch of tests to maybe avert such a thing happening so... doing what needs to be done and time will tell. Thanks for asking.

Also in the mean time, keeping my eye on Graigslist and Kijiji and so far nothing showing up. My suspicion is the two houses in the neighbourhood that have new renters (kids) and their friends that just moved here in the last four months. Had two of the younger ones pop into the back yard one evening while sitting at the table. They said they were playing hide and seek when I went out to confront them. One was hiding between the Limited and the shed (very tight) while the other was looking for him. They had squeezed between my neighbours new fence and my back corner all behind the shed and garage! Made them squeeze back out and said NO MORE! I have temporarily nailed chicken wire up but need to finish it more secure soon. Might not be them but...

I have a few new locks on things where I did not before all these years.