ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Doug, I've done quite a bit of silver soldering, so I know the process, though I've never done a piece that delicate before. I deal with "Praxair" here and they sell silver solder based on the price of silver. Its' a silver/copper alloy, though I don't remember the exact composition.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TP32 said:

Hi Doug

use a soft flame    Not a lot of heat needed because the material is thin and will turn a light blue.If it's S/S it will buff out.

TP

I've never done anything like this so thanks for the advise but not likely going to try what I might likely screw a piece up...

Will keep the information in the memory bank though.

My son has a Mig welder and thinks I should try doing that which I might... I have lots of spare parts to try without fear of screwing those up and who knows, maybe fix things that need welding? 

One is never too old to learn right?

• Like 1

Woke up this morning to find an email from Jim Hughes with progress pictures of my transmission saying he is ready for me to bring the universal joint to complete the rebuild.

DSC02786.JPG.92e19ae5fc2e4edeae1fb7e9417ee574.JPG

DSC02788.JPG.6f08b3fea6f1964e09c1b2d79e0c40e4.JPG

DSC02789.JPG.d5a7042a9ea44db9fe4d4c82de042b18.JPG

If you notice the magic marker lines, that is so the flex plate goes on properly. Guessing if you see this marking on one of your transmissions you can guess Jim had it apart once before. 

With Easter coming next weekend looks like a day trip will be after that. Unfortunately it won't be in the Special but... getting it home in the back of a truck just makes so much sense.

• Like 6

Stopped by the Special this afternoon and decided to fire her up to ensure the battery was OK for a road trip. (That's my excuse :D)

Actually cold today even though it says 42 degrees, that North wind ... brrrrr!

The plan tomorrow is to head out in the Special to Leamington where Dad is buried. It has been one year on the 25th he passed and I feel the need for a few moments.

Then I will go on down to the Retirement Home where my Great Aunt is for a visit. God love her, she will turn 105 this August and so far suffers nothing major physically or especially mentally but one just never knows for sure!

Then I will stop by my long time friend and see if we can go for lunch and maybe take him for a ride.

Weather is supposed to be a tad warmer but the heater works well so just going to throw a heavier coat in the trunk just in case...

• Like 3

It's Sunday evening late March 25th 2018.

Today was "Special" in so many ways it's hard to capture just how, so putting myself out there and hope you will understand and enjoy also.

To start off, exactly one year ago today, I received a very early morning call from Mom to say Dad had passed away after a 6 week stay in Hospice. His stay there for us all was exceptional and even though difficult, a blessing getting the call.

I personally needed to deal with this anniversary of sorts and made the decision to visit the grave site today and since that location is where I spent my youth and driving years in the Buick, got up early and went to get the Special.

IMG_2823.thumb.JPG.73aff787dbcbc30b229ccb1f905f72e1.JPG

While dry and sunny it was only 23 degrees out so proceeded to let the engine warm up good before striking out.

She always seemed to like the cool evening rides and today was no different! On the open road, 60 MPH felt like nothing!!

IMG_2824.thumb.JPG.5c6718d8de495ee004ec2c165bc0a02f.JPG

It was a last minute decision on my part to go by the Car Club property / Museum Dad and I have  belonged to since it's inception and because they have a 50's Diner and serve breakfast, thought it to be a good idea.

IMG_2825.thumb.JPG.6aafee98003c58ef69a832a0bd123462.JPG

After pulling in and parked I met with more than a few Members, some of which had been Paul Bearers who noticed the Special as I drove in. With some good conversation I headed in for a great breakfast.

IMG_2826.thumb.JPG.0c36550a9f936d1bc4388a635cce3676.JPG

It so happened they were having an indoor Flea Market and after eating went in to check things out as the day was mine since my loving wife said go, you need to do this...

This is only one of the four 5,000 square foot wings that had to be used with the overflow vendors.

T'was a bit crowded in this section due to the cars but people mosey on out if nothing hits' their fancy. 

IMG_2827.thumb.JPG.697d8928ab65e9fda3ff9d7a3f0da4fc.JPG

Have to show these vehicles you see on the right as they were donated to us (the Cub) when I was Treasurer. 

Schniders' used these vehicles for their much publicised advertising campaign and had a special Company Team to keep them in operating condition. 

After feeling they had served their purpose and usefulness they contacted us and a deal was struck to preserve them here. 

IMG_2828.thumb.JPG.e429e9d277e03bdc64105fec6f938c51.JPG

Finally it was time to head on and after some conversation with a few around the Special, fired her up showing them the magic of No Hands Starting of a Buick! 

IMG_2831.thumb.JPG.09b1e9bf28d49e5c47f328ee88e157cb.JPG

With about a 25 minute drive I took the back way into Leamington and stopped at the home Dad was born at back in 1924 on what is left of a 25 acre farm. Grandma told me they had a Mid Wife to aid in his delivery in the bedroom of the second floor just in case.

He and I had stopped here together about 6 years ago and it has been vacant for a long time...

IMG_2832.thumb.JPG.7d8eabd9bccb2c0f93c1ea403892fa0a.JPG 

With leaving a note (second time) hoping to make contact with the present owner about possible acquisition of things concerning the house, I proceeded on to the Cemetery.

IMG_2835.thumb.JPG.f617f0cb4bfd3fa7e6a03aafddb5742d.JPG

I won't belabour you with the details of my site visit but will say that I didn't notice the COLD till I got back into the car and fired her up! All this day there was a 20 mile north east wind and not above 39 degrees!! Brrrr...

Content with my time here I decided to head on down to the Lake which has a Dock the Government built many years ago that my Grandfather helped labour wise when they need to put an extension on for Lake freighters to come in and unload?? Sadly I don't remember what that cargo was or wrote it down...

I parked in almost the same spot when the last summer the Special was here on the road (before the brakes went out on me some 15 years ago or so)....

IMG_2839.thumb.JPG.00e108303b8ba5af77df5340115f7aea.JPG

Part of the mission today was to stop in and see my Great Aunt. She has been in a Retirement Home (NOT a Nursing Home) for some time. 

What is of importance to mention this is that fact she will be 105 this coming August!!!!

IMG_2842.thumb.JPG.27acb54054259b8e9f6f31ff57f24700.JPG

I swear she has the mind of a person 50 years old! Hard to find someone this age reading about the world issues and talk about it intelligently....

After a good hour visit I said good bye and contacted my long time friend. Drove up, parked and went in for visit and a refreshment. When we were running around (our driving days) his Dad had purchased new a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 and boy do we have stories about running down the roads seeing just who would beat who... Just who do you think won those challenges? :(:lol:

Chris has inherited that car and hope to some time this summer post a shot of them together.

The day seemed to slip by so quickly and finally it was time to head home....

I took some different back roads I used to take but boy has the scenery changed with the many wind power towers dotting the sky.

IMG_2845.thumb.JPG.e944b6720729091af1755b0cae3b0415.JPG

What better way to end this fine day but with a BBQ steak dinner and a cocktail? :)

IMG_2846.thumb.JPG.f6ff2ee1423d98752a7e2d93a21b3e4b.JPG

The sun set was just incredible tonight which the shot doesn't truly capture well but think Dad was saying Thanks son!

IMG_2850.thumb.JPG.e82b8e453d1737956346b68f61e9847e.JPG

Finally after a good supper it was time to close this day out so, true to form, fired up the trusty Special to drive her back to her garage.

(It's getting better all the time ;))

IMG_2855.thumb.JPG.4c4a617beb0690446c86621cb84ce845.JPG

A Good Night To All. 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Well it is Easter Weekend and wishing everyone A Wonderful Happy 'Family' Easter! :)

Friday I brought the Special out, filled up the tank and drove around town checking up on two of my car friends. Guess not having called ahead of time they had obligations too as no one was home but since it was sunny and dry took the thumbs up from traffic and eventually ended up home for supper. 

Left her parked for the night as today looked to be OK till very late in the afternoon...

That start with rain was shorter than predicted as with visiting a long time senior friend of mine I came out to see it was sprinkling so started her up, headed across the road and.... she stalled out! :huh:

I knew it wasn't fuel as I had filled up again after leaving the house this morning so?

Being it was in a residential area traffic wasn't an issue so popped the hood and found the fuel filter was empty but, looking closer, saw some more dark sediment!!! :(

With a steady drizzle went into the trunk and grabbed a new gas filter I keep on hand, pliers and a screw driver to replace what I figured was a plugged filter.

As I was changing it out in a steady light drizzle a gentleman came by walking his dog and asked if I needed his help?

I explained what I was doing and he chatted about loving the car and hung around till I tried to start the car up.

She tried to kick off but the gas just didn't seem to be filling the fuel filter up, figuring she lost her prime. With that he said he would be right back with some gas and since the battery was by now starting to drag, asked if I had jumper cables (which I did) and when he came back with his new Dodge Ram truck we hooked them up, poured gas into the carb and after two tries away she went! :)

The smile on his face and saying I had 'Made his Day' with helping get an old car on the road well, had to tell him if I was around this summer with the top down, he was entitled to a ride! 

Drove the 6 blocks back to the garage with no problems and shot a picture of the changed out filter before driving into the garage.

IMG_2858.thumb.JPG.3df3ccfed2de12335f760058829c43ad.JPG

Heck of a reason to need to wash / wipe the car down...

IMG_2861.thumb.JPG.f207886d4944a49a58e6b960220d636d.JPG

As the President of our Car Club always says, They won't melt!

Guess I really need to drop the fuel tank and clean out all the old varnished gas....

Again, Happy Easter.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beemon said:

Man, I would cut open that fuel filter and see what that crud is. Did 58 still have steel fuel lines?

The '58 Buick's use a rubber line from the tank to the fuel pump and from the pump to the filter then to the carb.

(corrected - ugh! Should be "No" showing signs of leaking. One word changes the conversation!!! Sorry) 

The fuel tank or the lines show signs of leaking so thinking the grud is old gas that has varnished in the tank. Will take your suggestion tomorrow and cut this one open and see if I can determine what it is. This is # 4 filter so need to get this under control.

Edited by dei
missing one word! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 95Cardinal said:

Thanks for sharing, Doug. 

I enjoyed the stories.

It would have been a not so enjoyable story had this happened on the way over to your place Joe.

It's not that I can't fix it but it could have stopped on I-75!!!

Now that would not be a happy story!

Having put some 300 miles on this filter and always putting high test in her thinking it must be loosened varnish / sediment from her long siesta. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dei said:

The '58 Buick's use a rubber line from the tank to the fuel pump and from the pump to the filter then to the carb.

How long ago did you change the rubber fuel lines?  To me, it looks like your fuel hose is deteriorating on the inside.  High pressure EFI hose marked SAE30R9 (rather than usual R7) lasts longer and to me is worth the (substantial) additional cost.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grimy said:

How long ago did you change the rubber fuel lines?  To me, it looks like your fuel hose is deteriorating on the inside.  High pressure EFI hose marked SAE30R9 (rather than usual R7) lasts longer and to me is worth the (substantial) additional cost.

You have given me something to consider there Grimy. After a good breakfast, heading over to the Special and cutting open that filter. It should be interesting.:unsure:

15 hours ago, Grimy said:

This is a good idea, Doug.

Same goes for flex lines in the brake system and vacuum hoses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

This is a good idea, Doug.

Same goes for flex lines in the brake system and vacuum hoses.

Agree with you there Joe on those issues. 

I have new flex hoses, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and one needed steel line since last year on the brake system but need to address the vacuum lines and maybe the gas line... 

Spent some time today investigating the fuel filter issue and WOW! :o

Pulled the three filters out and laid them in order of removal, the darkest being the latest.

IMG_2862.thumb.JPG.adbca0755bcc334ca8cb847b71ecf8fe.JPG

As suggested I took a razor blade and cut the last one open changed out yesterday.

With being this recent the stuff inside was wet so looked really dark.

IMG_2865.thumb.JPG.a12671532459ae7bfef1c78152696a17.JPG

Decided to cut the one prior to this one open as it was dry and see how it looked.

Since it was not as clogged thought I'd better cut the actual paper filter open and see what particles were possibly getting through as the carb would be my next fear...

IMG_2867.thumb.JPG.c1eeccd971ecf4da314205f8a476e2f6.JPG

Was great full that it appears the filters are doing their job! :)

Cut the dirty last one open and hoping for the same....

IMG_2871.thumb.JPG.3e32f4768f562d8bf50a06393baa281f.JPG

Happy that again things appear clean going to the carb but... 

The sediment easily crumbles to fine dust when touched. There are no chunks feeling like rust but... 

Obviously the tank needs to come off and be cleaned out regardless.

Decided to fire her up and true to form off she went! 

Think I was happy?

IMG_2874.thumb.JPG.090849a773f1c5b591a30d0dd802ae32.JPG

Decided to bring her home and took the long way home for Easter dinner with the Kids.

IMG_2877.thumb.JPG.2534a0f2049d1a1a81d39fe489902e7e.JPG

• Like 3

During tonight's dinner I asked my son about possibly taking a freezer bag of the stuff from the inside of the worst fuel filter I cut open to his University and verify the makeup of the it.

His thought was to put a magnet to it and see if it was indeed rust.

Grabbed one I had and stuck it in the bag after showing him the strength of the magnet.

IMG_2883.thumb.JPG.b7964ec89ae3af0e5329308bfd1f26dc.JPG

Clearly there is no metal (rust) in the bag.

IMG_2884.thumb.JPG.125ea665a60e37d74a0a933e8baab9a4.JPG

Somewhat reassuring that the gas tank is NOT rusting and the fuel pump is not sucking up any rust however, imagining the old gas is likely now really loosening up now and plugging up the paper filter.

Thinking I might measure the gas tank on the Limited tomorrow and if by chance they are the same size and configuration, remove it, clean it out and then remove the one on the Special curing the crud problem. 

Meantime, driving the Special back to her garage for the night. ;)

• Like 2

Interesting analysis, Doug! Putting the last three filters into perspective seems to lead to the conclusion that whatever the problem is, it has accelerated since the first filter. Here's hoping it is the tank and not the lines! Curious, but when was the last time the fuel lines were replaced?

45 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Interesting analysis, Doug! Putting the last three filters into perspective seems to lead to the conclusion that whatever the problem is, it has accelerated since the first filter. Here's hoping it is the tank and not the lines! Curious, but when was the last time the fuel lines were replaced?

I believe you are right about the crud loosening up more. Things are not conclusive yet just showing what I'm finding so far.

Those fuel line hoses for the most part are original since I bought the car in 1972 (only the piece to the carb has been replaced a few years ago) so going to do myself a favour and purchase new ones and replace them. 

I know the pictures make the crud in the filter look black thinking the rubber is breaking down but having been open to the air the stuff powders easily and looks somewhat rust coloured but again the magnet doesn't pick any of it up... hence my thinking it is varnished fuel? 12 years not running and new fuel is what I believe at this point is in play but... will see.

Drove her home and after dinner drove back to her garage.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I doubt that rust is magnetic.

Well, like I said, nothing is conclusive yet and you may indeed be right. 

Ran her back to the garage this evening and felt like I could go where ever.

Needs to be pursued in any case and just going to pick it apart as I go. 

For now,

Picking up two more replacement fuel filters and some new fuel line tomorrow.

Call me gutsy, Dumb (I've been called much worse) or just plain desperate...

Received a text fro 95Cardinal about one week ago saying 1957buickjim was going to remove the engine in his '57 Buick Wagon Saturday and asked if I would like to join in the fun?

My answer was SURE!

Weather here is up and down and Saturday looked to be cool by dry and sunny so was thinking I'd drive the Special over and add to the day "things being all Buick".

Naturally at the ninth hour Friday got a call and had to work in the morning Saturday but the guys were willing to wait for me. With that I stocked up on fuel filters, battery cables and headed towards the Tunnel crossing by 12:15.

IMG_2890.thumb.JPG.c6f73a71963219dac01dd521d08a3ed8.JPG

Since there were no sports games scheduled in Detroit the traffic was it's casual amount and once up to the Customs Booth it took longer to talk about the car than it did to run my Passport and answer the more normal Immigration questions.

That glass building is GM's Headquarters what used to be called the Ren Cen.

Once cleared to go with "Have a Good Day" I decided to take Woodward Ave and was pleased with traffic Downtown being so light.

Soon came up to Comerica Park Home of the Detroit Tigers for you none sports fans.

IMG_2891.thumb.JPG.d47ebc22b1a4ecb52b3450a934142436.JPG

This area has transformed so much when I was a kid and the Riots hit. I'm not pushing Detroit but there is a sincere effort to make it better and my boy has been to more than a few games here that go into the night which I have had no fear of him getting into trouble.

Travelling along with no issues so far, I came upon where the old GM Headquarters was when my 60 year old Special was built. Happy Birthday all '58's!

I should have stopped for a picture in front of the Main Entrance but was running a bit behind so kept on.

IMG_2892.thumb.JPG.6da10bf782168d6943423ce5fb54a3b9.JPG

As most know, Detroit is steeped in Automotive History and back in the early days, Woodward was the Main connection to rail and commerce.

This is an early Ford Production Plant that has been designated as Historic as noted by the plaque on the lawn but sadly looks a forlorn today as it did 50 years ago. We are out of that redeveloped area now. 

IMG_2893.thumb.JPG.eee9c8dcc2fb104a550924a86f032564.JPG

Now out of Detroit City limits and traffic getting a bit busier, kept to the centre lane and managed to catch traffic lights green most of the time. The trip was uneventful until the expected "IDIOT" decided to cross the oncoming traffic on his side and keep momentum squeezing into the one car length gap in front of me. (had been waiting for this aggressive driving...)

I didn't think I was going to hit him but naturally hit the brakes harder than usual and immediately felt the wheel pull to the right some! That's new... 

Kept going but now letting distance get bigger between the car in front of me just in case (too far to turn back now).

With the help of my GPS managed to pull up at Jim's just as Joe was parking his beautiful Chey C10. I was only 20 minutes late so figuring they had allowed for that.

IMG_2896.thumb.JPG.1e224f5ccaf82c72590fba01fc3416cd.JPG

Jim wanted (needs) to go through the motor again hence his wanting to pull it. Joe brought over his portable engine hoist and after a good tasting hot coffee (I love the taste of American coffee :)), proceeded to hook up the hoist.

IMG_2894.thumb.JPG.a4bdc94227f184907458ced46f759267.JPG

Jim had everything disconnected / unbolted in preparation for the engine removal and with three of us well...  we all had cautious Watch this, Watch that moments but really it went well and the engine was firmly secured in the back of Jim's new Silverado pickup.

IMG_2897.thumb.JPG.ac7e900173c18392ec84cfcf34081657.JPG 

Next on the agenda was to remove the dash for Jim to do a complete restoration of the gauges.

Sometimes three hands (pairs) can help. Again he had disconnected everything but two bracket bolts making things go quickly.  

I should mention Jim's Buick obviously is a wagon to which he refers to it as the "Long Roof". Buick made three wagon's and Jim's is a 1957 Riviera Estate Wagon having the pillarless window design. If you have seen his '57 Special two door you know this wagon is going to be Fantastic!

With having accomplished Jim's missions Joe asked if we wanted to go to his place and see the progress on his '58 Buick Caballero. 

By now it was getting in the afternoon so decided to drive all our vehicles separately as I was likely heading home from Joe's.

The Special fired up fine and followed Joe's truck along some residential roads and out on to a posted 45 mph 4 lane road when... . she quit!! :o

With what has been going on, can't say it wasn't expected. (pick a word or apply all of my opening sentence)

After Joe turned around to come back I immediately changed the fuel filter but could not get fuel from the tank. After boosting my battery and still no go eventually disconnected the line to the pump and blew back into the tank. Once reconnected, away she went and on we went the less than one mile to Joe's. :) 

Once there I fixed a split in one of the hoses and satisfied she was running OK in we went to see Joe's Caballero.

IMG_2898.thumb.JPG.de0c2db0ccd48e417c21a55822522549.JPG

She is going to be a prize winner! :)

IMG_2901.thumb.JPG.d9bfdff23210e63a0e819d4905d002de.JPG

With the hour getting late it was time to head on home.

Needless to say I was concerned about another possible plugged filter at some point but with having two more now in the car with the necessary tools, really had no choice...

Once back on Woodward (Thanks GSP) I stuck to one lane and was fortunate that traffic was not any busier than earlier. 

Travelled along fine not pushing speeds and finely got down to that redeveloped area.

This is Little Caesars Arena on the opposite side of the Comerica Park up on the left. Notice the tracks in the right lane?

IMG_2903.thumb.JPG.5fb4d83e76cd4387d58d34b59d602ab1.JPG

Up the next block is the infamous FOX Theatre and there is the new Qline commuter Train.

Having been to Europe and seeing theirs it felt odd pulling up beside one.

It only services Woodward for now but has intentions of expanding when?  

IMG_2904.thumb.JPG.81fabe0aa3a6fc98e0d9b87d462f199e.JPG

Having made it this far without incident, my only anxious moments were getting through the Tunnel to Canada. It is only two lanes wide and the thought of getting stuck down there well, joked with the money guy that if he heard a report of an old car holding up traffic, that might be me. 

IMG_2905.thumb.JPG.4aa899208021f7f2b2d8e2e2785f0eac.JPG

Fortunately things went well and the Canadian Customs Lady was so stuck with the car and more questions about it than asking one question if I had anything to declare. 

Headed back to the garage to put the Special away knowing I could call my son if need be arriving about 8:30. Lifting the hood to disconnect the battery I looked at the fuel filter and was amazed to find NO junk in there! 

Weather it is in the tank or the rubber fuel line deteriorating, they both need to be addressed!

Needless to say it was a fantastic day and want to Thank the Guys for letting me come over to play in your sand boxes! :)B):lol:

• Like 7

With working nights now have some time in the afternoon. I heard the garage door opening and found my son was looking for something.

Decided to dig in there more and pulled a box or two out. Unmarked opening it, I found these.

IMG_2908.thumb.JPG.2281271a15a5bb3504cf5c4706f4132b.JPG

Opening the other up I found one eyebrow panel needing cleaning but pitted badly and one of the interior courtesy lights from the Limited parts car. it cleaned up not too bad.

IMG_2911.thumb.JPG.6af0f11e342db58c2d1dd9e65c3fc791.JPG

With today's temp at almost 70 (:)) and having been up close and personal with three different Buick's last weekend it was too much to not rub down the Limited again before it was time to head on in to work tonight.

IMG_2916.thumb.JPG.ab8cd8aed2b224fe74b062176c2176b1.JPG.

The trunk lid had splatter of some kind on it when I bought it a long time ago and with a little rubbing compound it will be looking good from a distance for now. At least it won't get any worse...

IMG_2918.thumb.JPG.89de5b6d194e5da9f98489b4c186ea12.JPG

Lot's to do and have all the pieces but will pick away at it as I can (after I change the Special fuel line...)

IMG_2912.thumb.JPG.ef971780c8b7de84cd6e253886565399.JPG

IMG_2913.thumb.JPG.5b661f747f7bcb4633ed74e04341a28e.JPG

IMG_2915.thumb.JPG.3e9451ab87dd8d0d36fbe83f6f27ad0e.JPG

• Like 6

No pictures today (too depressing).

Lost power this morning for an hour due to an ice storm (and the part of the City we live in - long story re infrastructure...) plus it is only 32 degrees with wind hitting 40 mph!

Too cold for open garage work on either the Limited or the Special gas line replacement...

What a difference a week makes this year! :wacko:

• Haha 1

Today is Tuesday April 17, 2018

With the night work completed on last Saturday, managed to squeeze some work in on Monday only to wake this morning to this...

Everyone sing along:

Oh, I'm dreaming of a white Xmas.

Just like the one four months ago....

IMG_2925.thumb.JPG.4c0fc245aece0630d22979a36c399d3e.JPG

Due to technical difficulties, lawn cutting will be postponed till further notice....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So....

Per this time of year in the past our average daytime temps should be about 60 degrees F. It has not been near this all week but that shot of the morning snow I posted found it gone by noon that day which is good.

This isn't a weather report as it is supposed to be about me and my Buick's but tonight is well, kinda special!

I finished up work about 7:45 and was sitting at the PC checking email and the Forums at 8:01 pm when...

My wife and I heard what might have been an explosion immediately followed by a loud rumbling! At the same time the floor beneath my feet started to vibrate and the china in the cabinet started tinkling together!

This lasted long enough for me to go outside on the front porch to search the sky to see if there were clouds indicating something might be on fire... found nothing as the rumbling weakened and quit....

I went back to the computer and typed in Windsor Earth Quake only to see Twitter come up and people posting "did we just have an earth quake?"

Fifteen minutes later the United States Geological Society (USGS) posted that indeed just outside of the town of Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada there was a 3.6 Earth Quake at a depth of 5 kms below the surface!!

This just doesn't happen around here of a size to actually feel it but does happen occasionally at smaller levels and usually hear about it later!

Fortunately there are no reports of any damage or injury but again, this is my first in the 63 years of my life!

Waiting for the 11 o'clock news to hear what they report in Detroit...  

I'm jealous! I have a soft spot for severe nature events, most likely because the last earthquake we had here in Washington, I was still in elementary school. It also doesn't help there were a ton of hollywood films about the end of the world produced when I was in high school. :P

Seriously, I hope everything is okay up there! Earthquakes are old town's worst nightmares, it doesn't matter how big they are. Crack propagation and fatigue in old concrete, especially not reinforced with rebar or other strengthening components, don't do very well with vibration.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beemon said:

Seriously, I hope everything is okay up there!

Thanks for the concern Ben.

Fortunately It wasn't the damaging catastrophic event usually reported and in fact it was upgraded the next day to a 4.1 magnitude which so far no one is reporting any damage (which is good!). 

I have a customer one concession from the epicentre which I will be seeing on Tuesday so it should be an interesting conversation hearing how it felt there that close.

I did notice a few more tree branches around the garage where I keep the Special but nothing alarming. 

Hope it was something of a once in a life time thing but who knows....:unsure:  

With weather just too cold (and some unusual snow) have not driven (or worked on) the Special since the big trip into Michigan. It was time to feel the road again!

Getting her started up I found one of the clamps I had taken off while over there had only been put on the edge and had slipped back enough to allow air into the fuel pump so she stalled out.

The battery is getting old and almost wore it down trying to pump fuel back into the carb.

Grabbed the charger and put it on at the 6 amp charge rate while I walked around the property picking up trash from the kids. I'm in the middle of a High School and two elementary Schools plus on a corner lot so I have a full time job concerning garbage. (nothing has changed in 60 years there...)

Took the long way home with the window down and arm out the window but hoping the weather stays warmer before I put the top down.

IMG_2932.thumb.JPG.842a4e56057886415dd480ba0311d3c4.JPG

Did the Sunday BBQ thing and after supper talked with a few neighbours who were out walking since it was about 60 degrees and it is staying lighter longer. 

Finally it was time to take her back.

IMG_2935.thumb.JPG.6155d9b560c597f4a3751eb5620f2aa8.JPG

Took another long way back and it felt good.

IMG_2942.thumb.JPG.d511a6e56f173021846eec041dea0072.JPG

Waiting on a roll of new fuel line to be delivered and considering taking my friend up on using his lift to drop the tank for a good cleaning.

The weekly car show season is starting next week and a Show in Chatham (60 miles one way) is coming up so need to get at things!

• Like 6

With nice temperatures in the upper 60's all week and having had a full docket of work I missed having the Special out so...

After unloading some equipment Friday afternoon from my truck and seeing her there just begging, decided to go for a ride.

Went over to Mom's and found her with a list of things that have "been on her mind".

IMG_2948.thumb.JPG.26de91675523ba79d21fa980865972b8.JPG

About an hour later, as predicted, I heard a clap of thunder so told Mom I had to take my baby back to her garage. (it was a good excuse)

Just before closing the door it downed poured!

Earlier this week I received a call from my Brother-in-law wondering if we could meet on Saturday?

He lives in Michigan and still has his daughter living at their home here finishing up University which has his "owned since new" 1979 Corvette L82 parked in the garage. He is going to get it ready for transport over to Michigan soon and since it has been off the road for about three years, wanted my help "just in case".

I was originally planning on driving the Special over to meet him but when I got up early this morning the good weather had gone south again with it being only 40 degrees again! 

We agreed the Coffee Shop was first on the list and once fully caffeinated up we headed to his house.

I waited outside while he went in and through the house to open the garage door. After a bit of time I started to hear commotion in the garage which I almost asked if he was alright? 

Finally I heard a sound like a lock was being opened and then the big door opened up.

Well Guys, I thought I was the only person who had had a garage (two in fact) that hid cars underneath STUFF!

That pile in the back right corner is what he had to climb over to get at the garage door. Told him it must be a family tradition with cars....

IMG_2949.thumb.JPG.81c25265642015c8a672ebf4567a62ec.JPG

With a brand new battery he had on the shelf, it was hooked up and with not three revolutions Off it went! ?

I saw that same look on his face as I imagined mine looked like when I got the Special running again!

Being surrounded by his stuff we didn't leave it running too long knowing at least it will run when we get the trailer there to load it up later (once the paperwork has been filed for import to the US.

I headed home and will sit at the desk as the clouds are hanging around and it is not warming up. Hope Sunday will be Better.

• Like 1

Sunday started out cold but was warming up by mid morning.

I had to go back to Mom's to complete "the list" and needed the trailer to get rid of some things around the place so...

desperate to move things along and drive later, hooked up the trailer and parked out front.

IMG_2953.thumb.JPG.c3d20dfc4dc06c68e9f9b6e9b67a100c.JPG

Guess she didn't get the hint so 3 hours later... meantime...

Dad had given his '66 Covair convertible to my sister who unfortunately doesn't have a garage yet to keep it in so it is still here in the garage. I have not started or moved it since last year and thought I'd better try the battery. 

Sure enough it was dead flat so plugged the charger in and will have to see if it will hold a charge on Monday.

IMG_2955.thumb.JPG.b5df0125db095131874222ba4cc82528.JPG

After getting a thank you went and dropped off the trailer and proceeded to head back home the long way in time to hear my wife say I was going to BBQ. 

Not sure if I want to keep the Special home for the night or not yet but it looks good in the driveway.:)

• Like 3

Weather was horrible for both work and driving the Special today but went over to Mom's to finally check on the battery of my sister's Corvair as there was a lull.

It has not been started in just over a year and while there is a battery disconnect, the connections needed to be cleaned up. 

FINALLY, with the aid of my truck she fired up!

IMG_2969.JPG.2d1388c41a6c36e233b9c9ad92ef2075.JPG

Surprisingly it ran well and after warming up decided to pulled her out and make sure the brakes were working and the the transmission shifting properly. Kept it around the neighbourhood and ended up where I keep the Special.

IMG_2973.JPG.006adf86b3441c5ebda65c0e74b750ad.JPG

• Like 1

Over coffee this morning my son and I were chatting and he mentioned he was looking around various car web sites and happened to spot the Special.

One never fully knows today what is being captured and posted out there...

Screenshot_20180503-181941.png.350643489811f1749d92c0602a5b3448.png

Screenshot_20180503-182018.png.bde425d419a597bdfb8d6201c2618fa4.png

This was the day back this past March I spent as a memorial to Dad one year after we laid him to rest.

Ironically yesterday would have been his Birthday and I have to share something.

The day before his Funeral I noticed a bird up in the rafters of my back covered patio and tried to shoo it away.

After the Funeral she was back with a mate and had built a nest. They were Mourning Doves. Their cooing seemed peaceful to me and let them be. Even my cat didn't seem to be bothered by them. Finally the two eggs hatched and not long after they all disappeared.

Two days ago I hear cooing again and sure enough there she was (same one?) sitting on a nest. 

Coincidental timing? Hmmm ...

And then my son shows me a captured moment...

You be the Judge.

• Like 4

Saturday was a beautiful day and after a morning of work went and grabbed the Special. 

Sitting there in the sun decided it was time to drop the top.

IMG_2989.JPG.ee1ac7356b6c61293fcc3e0eba995829.JPG

With no real destination in mind I just wanted to feel the road and eventually ended at home.

• Like 1

The official start of weekly Cruise-In's here started tonight and figured since I had the top down, just had to make it official too and attend.

IMG_2991.JPG.b1c331e12ac7a1164903bed52364758a.JPG

The parking lot was over half full this time and guessing maybe 50 cars total.

Had a good fish and chip dinner with friends and time to look at a few new cars not seen in the past before the 50/50 was drawn around 8 pm.

That 120 dollar draw was one by a woman that owns a 1960 Frontenac which is the same platform as the Ford Falcon. Not many of those seen as they were sold in Canada.

What also makes it unique is that she turns wrenches and has done the engine transplant in hers! She says her dad wanted a boy. ?

There were the usual extremes of "likes" and "boy does she need work" comments, some to your face and others not caring when making those statements but not my first time for any of that.

I did get to use a phrase suggested to me that when someone takes time to ask if I'm going to fix the body and paint. 

The owner of the Chev coupe next to me asked a question just before I was getting ready to leave saying/asking if I was going to get that rocker work fixed? (after some discussion about the work he put in his car over the past 6 years).  

I responded by saying that since I have had it since 1972 and drove here tonight and know she will get me back, I guess when that rocker gets to the point it needs to be fixed, I will get her done. 

Somewhat unfazed he said that I'd better get at it as it was only going to get worse... As I looked at his opened trunk noticing the lower pan hnd been pop riveted on, bondo pasted on and not sanded then sprayed over with grey primer...

It was time to leave and bid them a Good Night.

When I told my wife when I got home, she said it was a good thing she wasn't there and heard him. Hmm... Guess she does have a bit of pride in the car. ?

• Like 2