ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

I trust all my fellow Canadian Buick owners are having a good long Canada Day Weekend! :)

I have been so far but let me back up a bit.

Last Thursday my son showed me a picture at breakfast he had captured of the '58 Special sedan I had seen at the transmission shop but didn't find out who actually owned it.

He had a general idea where he had driven by so I decided to go myself before heading to a job I had scheduled.

20180627_160815.thumb.jpg.caf30f0c69f7e765022f4c8c582c7cc1.jpg 

I found it sitting there and soon met the owner, Tony, who was thrilled I found him! 

I was late for my job but it was worth it!! We exchanged contact information with the promise to see my car when it is road worthy and dependable again.

Saturday was starting out hot again! 90's or more were in the forecast all next week and had requested the help of my son to go with me out to the storage that had my Cougar, to drive it home.

After sitting for two years it was great to hear the car fire right up and idle almost immediately.

I took all the back roads home and parked it in front of the garage door where I keep the Special.

Unfortunately the air wasn't working strongly so that will have to be charged up again but otherwise she ran like a trouper. Even though it was dusty dirty I left it as my son had to be back home to work on his brother's wife's car who had a disagreement with a shopping cart... 

1304303766_Dave-June302018-Jackiescarrepair_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.4573d036bc5a2275f4a67aece01b77c3.jpg  

Luckily I had brought my industrial fan home thinking I would place it in my metal shed while removing the final '52 ford parts then unbolting the shed itself but... hitting 94 degrees by 2 pm and climbing put a STOP to that for me! That fan sure saved them.

(boy would it be nice to be young again...)

As supper time approached and they finished up the repair, my wife stated that she was going to BBQ. Guess she had bought a salmon steak and fresh asparagus and looked up a recipe for seasoning them to BBQ. Have at her Dear. 

Must say things turned out alright for her first try using the new BBQ!

Then after a full stomach and clean up she stated she was going to do more.

This time it was desert!

798888113_MarkCindyBBQing-Jun302018_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.7dbf591889596a92e4c738ddbb86f6ff.jpg

Those are pineapple rings brushed with brown sugar and sliced peaches.

Something else new here.

Now, I have to say that I wasn't sitting by doing nothing OK.

Our screened in deck and furniture hasn't been washed and cleaned yet and a few screens had the pinch welt shrunk and fallen out so to keep mosquitoes out I fixed what I had to and grabbed the hose and scrub brush. Getting down to a pair of shorts and splashing the hose on my legs and feet kept me cool while the boys did their thing! 

The evening was still 92 at 9 p.m. as the sun was setting so planned on getting back to the Cougar Sunday morning before it got too hot.

• Like 1

Got up Sunday morning with my wife and sat out on our freshly cleaned deck with coffee before heading over the the garage. It had cooled down to 80 over night at 7:30 a.m. so took our time but had to go before the daytime heat.

Tried starting the Cougar up to turn it around but... click, click, click.

Popped the hood and decided to cleanup the battery terminals which really didn't look that bad. Tried again and it turned over ever so slowly.

Needed to load my lawn mower and a few things in the trailer for Tuesday so put the charger on the battery while doing so.

Chatted with the neighbour for awhile and decided to try again. Voila!

I let it rev for a bit before checking the volt meter as it idled. Seemed fine but when loading the lights, high beams, air conditioning fan and radio it soon dropped to the red zone!!

It didn't stall out but turned everything off and the charge showed Ok at idle... hmmmm.

Battery? Alternator? Decided to shut it off and again grabbed the hose to cleanup and try to stay cool as the heat was arising!

IMG_3339_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.f7046bd67e369abb2215dc970ae88519.jpg

IMG_3340_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.189f080b88f3221a8317b463e53bf6a8.jpg

The darned thing looks so nice I hate to sell it and with such low mileage well...

IMG_3342_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.2417d008f1fa29b01cabff0614856acb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Came home to find my son out working on a brake job for his future father-in-law (not announced yet...).

Guess we will go over the the Cougar sometime tomorrow to check voltages and such... 

Currently 92 (feels like 98) and another BBQ dinner in the works.

Great Weekend so far!

Hope yours is TOO!

20 minutes ago, dei said:

Know I'm not the only one having this heat wave!

It's just so unusual to be quite this hot here...

You will get some relief in a few days...2 more months for us. On the other hand we only get 3-4 days of winter.:P

• Haha 1

Plenty  hot for us Northerners here in Toronto too. About the same temps, 37C on Sat which is about 97-98F, plus humidex in the 43-45 range. The modern cars and the house have nice AC, and I'm too busy packing to go out and have fun with my old Buicks.

About the Cougar, Doug. I don't know enough of the specifics of those alternators, but most more modern cars (at least compared to 40's 50's 60's) have a built in regulator, and a set of diodes that are needed for the DC to AC work, and if one goes, it can charge, but not at full output.

As I said, my knowledge is sparse in this area, and I don't know those cars at all, but it can happen on some.

Hope you enjoyed the long weekend!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

Must be the government chem trials and global warming for these heat wave bursts! :P

A local weatherman said that the record high for one day last week was 104*F in 1903; then quipped that was probably when global warming started...probably will lose his job.

• Haha 4

knowing my thread is supposed to be about my Buick's, this segment is about why I'm NOT working on them.

Life has a way of changing the direction of efforts and work lately, while being a good thing, has occupied a lot of hours these past two weeks. Not to mention the heat has been just about unbearable around here hitting mid to upper 90's most days...

One of my recent jobs has been interesting in that it is on an Island on the southern reaches of the Detroit River. It requires access using a barge and had to meet it early in the morning to transport my truck and equipment.

IMG_3351_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.79b90e5ce79e512f7a0049af9f4d5200.jpg

Once tied up I was instructed to back onto it after that back hoe moved closer to the end using it's weight to lower the barge to the break wall. There was no adjustable ramp and using this did the trick to be the right height.

The Detroit river is about 2-3 feet higher than normal this year otherwise the barge looks like it was built to match the sea wall.

I sure got a funny feeling having to keep backing up to allow the truck and trailer enough room to back up also.

IMG_3353_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.949e38fa07fdc86ec7de3fa7c7618494.jpg

Most morning were starting about 88 or 90 degrees and the wind was as still as it could be.

IMG_3357_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.5cb6db549a13b576ae44db773d41f14d.jpg

That first day I captured this shot.

That small boat is one of 6 policing agencies patrolling the waters of the Detroit River. Since 911 pleasure boating has changed with this now heavily enforced policy. They are looking for illegals crossing into both the US and Canada plus various other chargeable offences...

I have heard stories from fellow pleasure boaters that what was once a lovely cruise up to Lake St Clair can be a real pain having to stop three or four times to be checked over.

Just beyond that small boat is another small uninhabited Island and hard to see but another secondary channel heads south where I used to keep my boat. 

Both that Island and the one we are going to are in Canadian waters so no Customs check in is required.

The crossing only takes about 20 minutes once underway but it takes those two tug boats to manage the 5 knot current flowing north to south (right to left here).

IMG_3356_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.fa06011d73d7e64df1490148c8dff225.jpg

If you can picture this, the water here will go into Lake Erie, then flow down the Niagara River, Over the Falls, out into Lake Ontario, then down (up) the St Lawrence and finally out to the Atlantic Ocean. Of course the water here originates from either Lake Superior and Lake Michigan going into Lake Huron, then through the St Clair River to Lake St Clair and then enters the Detroit River where we are. (OK, enough of the geography lesson...)

There are 6 building on the Island that required my services this past week and what buildings they are! The Main House is fantastic and required a 32 foot ladder.

IMG_3328_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.b0a1e1a7eff459096f05b9689617c334.jpg

I mentioned the temperatures were HOT and all this week my work was for insides only which as it was, the air conditioning systems were in full cold mode which was just FINE by me!

IMG_3383_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.a56d2b2d2d7f5c93bb6104da8928874c.jpg

All of the buildings were of this type of log construction and when one stepped outside to retrieve something from the truck, my glasses fogged over from the change in temperatures!!

I think MrEarl and a few others building their garages would appreciate these...

Near the corner was this.

IMG_3386_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.77a00f0e2a2f703116499afd4c05121a.jpg

Thought she might be a little cold so threw on a cover.?

IMG_3389_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.94f388688fe2f99bdc27d9439c1c86ca.jpg

Managed to complete all buildings by Friday and today had to fetch my ridding lawnmower from the repair shop to get caught up with my lawns but either going to get back on the Special again tomorrow or.... take in a local car show... 

Work is good but play time is well, better.

• Like 5

Sunday kinda worked with car work and play.

With the Cougar parked in front of the garage door and the battery completely dead the only choice was to fix or correct what was wrong.

Had my son meet me with his meter and after jumpering his truck to the battery, she fired right up.

However, as soon as we disconnect one cable the Cougar died at idle. Guess the battery might be the problem...

Hooked things up again and this time kept the rpms up. This time after disconnecting the cables Mark tested the charge coming from the alternator and it read a steady 14.2 volts.

Let the car idle and this time it kept running but the reading dropped to 11.2 volts and as soon as I turned the headlight on it dropped again to 7.2 volts.  After turning off the car checked the battery and it only read 4 volts and with the heads lights on went totally flat!

Time for a new battery.

That did the trick and once installed we checked the alternator reading on the new fully charged battery and it was a steady 12.8 volts with everything turned on or off.

Decided to bring her home for a bath.

IMG_3393.thumb.JPG.26fc275b95820d16cce87c4bd637a5e1.JPG

While now late in the afternoon went out to see if there were cars still at the local show. Two of my friends were still there with some others so spent an hour before coming home.

One down, one to go...

12.8 Volts sounds like battery voltage.  You should see 14 Volts with everything off and the engine running.  Even with accessories on I would not expect anything less than 13.5 Volts.  I think you may still have a bad (intermittent) alternator...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

12.8 Volts sounds like battery voltage.  You should see 14 Volts with everything off and the engine running.  Even with accessories on I would not expect anything less than 13.5 Volts.  I think you may still have a bad (intermittent) alternator...

I wondered that too ( not good with electrical...).

it's going in to my mechanic this week for the air conditioning to be topped up and was told tonight there are no brake lights so will have them check that and the alternator too.

I have read that era Cougars have had issues with certain alternators.

Hoping I don't have that particular one!

Meantime she just turned over 72,000 kms and runs well otherwise.

With work well in play today I skipped home for a very late lunch and while talking to my son asked if he would be willing to work on the Special?

Told him I thought the gas tank had to be removed and cleaned, a new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump had to be replaced and??

We agreed if I could get her home he would do it so finished up a small job and headed to the Special to fire her up. THAT was no easy feet as the battery is telling me it is on it's 8th life since it slows down with a bit of steady cranking.

With a jury rigged gas can between the grill and rad finally got her running and took the most direct way home. 

It then did fine till after idling at home while I moved out the wife's van but with some more coaxing got her under the shelter and proceed to siphon out the almost full tank!

IMG_3403_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.c2d07f87bf604d58fe9448596c49992b.jpg

After three full 6 US gallon cans and one almost full two gallon can we feel the straps can now be loosened and handle the tank.

Yes there is crap in there as witnessed while seeing it in the clear plastic tube so...

With 60 years of on the road, off the road, on the road and this last stint being parked for 13 years... guess I got lucky driving the 1,100 miles I did last year but the problem of quitting is embarrassing! 

NOW IS THE TIME TO CORRECT THAT!

Not sure what was my "new fuel pump" isn't gucked up some too so having found my old original fuel pump back on the shelf, will be ordering a new kit to rebuild it before firing her up again. 

IMG_3404_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.47dd272ddd9fac1483e93327fcc3da39.jpg

Meantime went into the garage and rummaged through some tubs and found three NOS side mirrors two of which were in their original Buick boxes. I brought out the loose one to compare it to the one on the car now.

IMG_3402_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.58a5b89855bf01829de47b679eb3928b.jpg

With the top side being dull and pitted, decided the NOS one was going to replace it.

IMG_3401_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.01fb64cba529c7d887ba1f9ba072505f.jpg

By now with the day was drawing to an end my son said he would work on it on Sunday as my wife and I are heading to a planned Car Show in the Cougar and then to friends for BBQ chicken and fresh picked sweet corn dinner afterwards. 

Sometimes it is good to have kids! ?

• Like 3

On 7/15/2018 at 10:09 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Neat accessory, that DEI on the door skin! 

Thanks John.

I was at a Car Show years ago and came across a vendor that made up letters and I saw this sheet in gold letters and thought, It's a neat way to personalise the car. 

When the Limited gets on the road will see if I can find a sheet for her too.

Here is a shot of the NOS side view mirror on the car.

IMG_3405_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.cda092d4a49976b27e6960b090bdc21c.jpg

IMG_3406_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.d15718122d4df8f5b6107b5bd15647b7.jpg

My car did not come with the passenger side mirror and I would have to drill out two holes in order to bolt it on. Think I will save the other two for the Limited when it's time comes.

• Like 3

After getting home Sunday night my son had something to show me.

He took his time at the gas tank and got it down and pulled the gas gauge out.

He then took it (after draining the bit of gas left inside) to the car wash where he used the wand to blast the insides and wash out the residue that has caused my problems.

IMG_3412_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.43dd813125e34008bbffbcdd71bc39ae.jpg

I was surprised the top of the outside after 60 years looks as good as it does. Those whitish spots are the original finish from the factory and no where is there any flaking of rust.

The seams are tight and show now signs of seeping and the bottom of the tank looks good too.

IMG_3411_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.5cc0685941f86a49d5df9088836dc48f.jpg

The inside has a few spots where likely the gas had evaporated / varnished during a few of her siestas so planning on reviewing a few threads where guys rigged a sling and put things in to shake around and loosen any remaining crap. 

I pretty much knew the floor of the trunk on the underside was as good as it is simply by the solidness when loading up for car shows. I think with some wire brushing and a coat of POR 15 before the tank goes back on will be something like 1957BuickJim did on his Special.

At least it will be a start... 

IMG_3413_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.4b1df45d3d9829446b984fede7311ef9.jpg

The tank straps are good to reuse once I do some cleaning and painting but those "J" bolts... it didn't take much to bust them so have to get new ones. 

One look at the gauge float clearly explains why the dash gauge always read 1/4 tank.

IMG_3414_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.414cce0bb1b2525473802e045b4660be.jpg

I'm figuring too many years with only 3/4 of a tank of gas...

Now,

If I can just put my hands on that new unit I bought from CARS at the Swap meet at the National in Wisconsin last year...

• Like 3

I was up early Monday morning and right before coffee was ready I hear something running. My wife looked out our front window and with a gasp said, What is that!

Went to the side door to find the contractor setting up the concrete forms was using a high powered leaf blower to remove the stones and dust off the footing for the new house and the cloud was wafting towards our place!

This was at 7:15 A.M.

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.14401afa64ed89a1b17943710b2148d1.JPG

After grabbing some plastic I knew was large enough to cover the Special I then grabbed the keys for the Cougar and got it out of there as it was to go into the shop for the air conditioning to be charged up anyway... 

NOT a nice way to start ,the day!

• Like 1

After dinner tonight decided to take the tank over to the Special garage and clean the exterior up.

Tested a small area first with a drill and wire wheel.

IMG_3420_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.d12e55c16f4e821c2b96517c7fdb0204.jpg

Was encouraged by the shape of the metal so continued.

IMG_3423_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9546b8a41ccf73aee35bb631d661cd26.jpg

I had a small can of rust primer so after wiping it down brushed the top.

IMG_3424_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.2e60f963af14f8a4e0924ea642284f00.jpg

After it dries totally will brush on  black Por 15 and then do the underside.

Next will be the tank straps tomorrow night.

IMG_3425_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.3c3b6b32fbdb0ad00150217710dcdeff.jpg

• Like 4

Have a few balls in the air right now.

The Cougar has been at the garage to charge up the air conditioning and while there check the alternator out and... found out didn't I didn't have brake lights. Hmmm...

Got in touch with the shop and the lights are fixed. Seems the plastic plug connector was breaking down where the brake light wire was at. Some splicing and good now.

The alternator was not performing as it should just like it was suggested here. Not sure what was first, the battery condition or the alternator not charging properly but they are now new but...

There is a problem with the air conditioning system. Seems it took a charge OK but... when turned on it almost immediately cuts out. 

The car will stay there so the owner of the shop can plug away between jobs to figure it out and not tie up a bay. 

I do like driving this car and as we all know things do need maintenance of some kind, just didn't plan on all that happening at once.

It would have been nice to have the air last Sunday will driving to a small town car show due to the 94 degree heat.

1157937787_1989Cougar-Jul152018-KingsvilleCarShow-pic1.thumb.JPG.1e9399f3c442f0ec6f298d0509f0f6f4.JPG

9 hours ago, old-tank said:

Check the inside of the top of the tank.  That's where condensation stays to start rusting even with a mostly full tank while in storage.

Thanks old-tank.

Paid particular attention to that after seeing the condition of the fuel float.

Moving in small steps but at least forward.

Bought a litre of POR 15 today. Wow has that stuff gone up! 60 bucks plus 13% tax...

Going to make it go as far as I can at that price. Will be getting under the car to clean and paint the trunk floor and frame which will justify the cost some I guess.

Painted the top side of the tank before supper.

IMG_3429_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.d7831d9f4eb139fc018b3ee571815126.jpg

I had coated the filler neck with rust primer and found a can of silver spray paint. Going to clear coat that once all is good and dried out in the sun.

IMG_3430_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9f12c5935f76ca0f0477452b6ce652b7.jpg

I also stopped by  local Napa store and ordered a new fuel pump. Figure if the tank and line is new I better not stop half way and take a chance on the other pump which was new last year about this time but has been pumping crap into it as the fuel filter was between it and the carb.

Driving with confidence again will get me back on the road to the 2,500 mile Challenge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Friday was a car day but not on the Special.

My friend was invited to bring his two Monarch's to an invitation only show held at the Engineering Facilities in Dearborn, Michigan.

It meant an early rise to cross the Border before the Friday morning commuting traffic.

IMG_3435_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.c579574ac00b204a6ce01456b6ef21c8.jpg The white car is a 1960 that his dad bought new and the blue is a 1959.

Unfortunately the weather went south about 1 pm and the chairman made the decision to let the participants head home before it got really bad but with over 400 mixed makes there it was a great event.

Just a sampling of the field... (sorry no Buicks)

IMG_3436_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.d718869892e7a361e04a75a463deb3d5.jpg

IMG_3437_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.710619999e0ea648555ffdf03b31fb3b.jpg

IMG_3441_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.65ef1123e10d2cf9f1c2d27baadb3ce8.jpg

Really loved this flathead in the 32 full fendered Ford coupe!

IMG_3448_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.7dbbf3e7c30b6f920ed505df9b5ac363.jpg

Managed to get home with no issues and had time to go over to the garage to check on the gas tank which I had put a solution in to dissolve any more sediment (or rust...) before putting things back together.

IMG_3433_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.14ce6bf21c08ccc7adb2786de64e3547.jpg

I also bought a tub to put the tank straps in and have them soaking also.

IMG_3450_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.79584fd948f0fc52c8e9c37c3d1f08ff.jpg

A little bit here, a little bit there and before you know it, on the road again!

• Like 1

With the drizzle and light rain all day, managed to do a bit more to getting the gas tank back on the car.

Since I had the fuel door off and the underside was rusty, wheeled what I could, used course sand paper, primer sealed and then sprayed it with aluminium paint.

IMG_3455_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9a88b35c14668825601e274d8c6e7fd6.jpg

Then I took the tank straps out of the solution and put them on the wire wheel. 

After they were cleaned up put a coat of POR on them and I'm happy with the way they turned out.

IMG_3460.thumb.JPG.74dcc8fbb288cab49839dbf33b4a3367.JPG

Planning on getting under the car to clean up the trunk floor and frame rails tomorrow after work.

NOW,

If I can just put my hands on the new float I bought at the National last year....

Maybe I'm missing something, but based on my own experience it's the inside of your tank that needs attention, not the outside.  As long as you have the tank out of the car, my advice is to have someone sandblast the interior of the tank and coat it with sealer.  One less thing to worry about in the future.

Neil

• Thanks 1

Several people on the forum recommended that I just use a product like the one EmTee has recommended.  But the guy who I eventually had do my tank told me that "nothing sticks to rust."  This makes sense to me.  Sloshing some sealer around in a rusty tank may work for a while, but unless the sealer is bonding to bare metal, it will eventually flake off and get caught up in your fuel system.  The only way to really take care of the problem is to have someone sandblast the inside of the tank down to bare metal, and THEN apply the sealer.  It costs a little more, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

• Like 1

The POR15 kit I used was a 3 part system: heavy acid, degreaser/ wash, dilute/ sealer. Pretty good stuff! After three years I have yet to see anything in my fuel filter except clean corn fuel. 

Any leads on J bolts? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Several people on the forum recommended that I just use a product like the one EmTee has recommended.  But the guy who I eventually had do my tank told me that "nothing sticks to rust."  This makes sense to me.  Sloshing some sealer around in a rusty tank may work for a while, but unless the sealer is bonding to bare metal, it will eventually flake off and get caught up in your fuel system.  The only way to really take care of the problem is to have someone sandblast the inside of the tank down to bare metal, and THEN apply the sealer.  It costs a little more, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Por-15 is designed to stick to rough or etched bare metal and rust directly.  Good stuff!  It is imperative that all grease etc. Be removed of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

Any leads on J bolts? 

My son has ordered some from a supplier he used while at the University. Because he used his ID there, they sent a pair out not realising he wanted to be notified and pay at the counter (which he usually did and then was reimbursed). He checked with the U and they said they never received anything like that so... has ordered another pair with specific instructions this time on the order to be notified when they come in!

Thanks to all who are suggesting the right way to deal with the inside of the tank!

I have been soaking / treating the inside with a solution told to me by a rad shop (and car guy) right now.  

Each day I swing by and shake rattle and roll the tank to agitate it. What can I say, the results of this will determine if I need to have it sand blasted, which either way, I will be coating the insides.

I still have not been able to get on my back and clean the trunk... 

My son started his new job at the Chrysler Facility in Chelsea, Michigan Monday so there goes my hired help!

Meantime, the Cougar is still at the shop waiting for that quiet moment where he will check further on the air conditioning issue. 

As stated before, lot's of balls in the air. One thing at a time.....

• Like 1

Friday today.

Checked on the Cougar and the air is not fixed but charged and wanted to drive it this weekend.

Shop suggested it would be OK to drive but the air would not run so...

Picked it up and will be using it to drive to my Great Aunt's 105th Birthday on Sunday!!!

Decided to flush the solution from the Special gas tank and will let it dry over night.

Meantime,

Received a call from the other owner of the only 1958 Buick I know of in my home town and he wondered if we could get together this weekend. 

Hoping to see him tomorrow with the car at home and grab some pictures. 

Guess he is having a problem with his gas gauge too...

Not sure if it might be ground or...

It is as low mileage car so??

Tony retired from years as a body man and has a 1928 Model A he bought in Argentina that is a right hand drive export car. He totally restored it and likes the Buick because of it's style and the ability to keep up with traffic. 

I will definitely be showing him things like my rusty fuel float... 

You are completely right EmTee about low mileage and the state of gas in the tank being a 60 year old car. 

It is starting out to be a nice day and should be a good get together.

• Like 1

Tony came after lunch and brought his Special as promised.

1485964075_1958Special-Tony-Jul282018-pic1_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.1fcc709f46a928e8b36b4fe68f2d52d5.jpg

We enjoyed an hour or two looking over mine and answering questions he had about his car and the few differences between them like the fact I have power brakes and steering while his does not.

1853976948_1958Special-Tony-Jul282018-pic2_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.3f47e4287011cce3f90fc690631138a2.jpg

I explained that the Special series was the base level of the '58's and his being the 4dr sedan came standard with standard brakes and standard steering. If you notice his car has trim all around the door opening/windows which would be an upgrade from standard but the brakes and steering wasn't upgraded (ordered). The car also sorts it's original interior and the dash pads  are is excellent shape further hinting at the low mileage.

There is something recognisable to my ear from a 364 V8 and this car needs no introduction with only 54,000 miles showing on the odometer.

451583333_1958Special-Tony-Jul282018-pic3_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.5b18621cbf9b74e2867dd6c6a6eb22dd.jpg 

Told Tony I can't wait to get both cars together at the next Car Show and hear the noise from the crowd!

This is the only other '58 Buick here in Town for a looong time!

39447371_1958Special-Tony-Jul282018-pic4_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.0b38c3740084140a993e14077faaf212.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Next car show, do you attend Bothwell?  If so we could join up at my house downtown Charing Cross or I could meet you along the way.  I plan to drive our '39 Buick.  It is a one day show much like Essex but larger with a swap meet, $10.00 collected at the gate.  Regards, Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

Next car show, do you attend Bothwell?  If so we could join up at my house downtown Charing Cross or I could meet you along the way.  I plan to drive our '39 Buick.  It is a one day show much like Essex but larger with a swap meet, $10.00 collected at the gate.  Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes I have gone to the Bothwell Show, in fact I go to the Swap Meet on Fridays with my friend who owns the two Monarch's (among others).

Not 100% sure if going to the Saturday Show yet... My wife likes the Wambo Show which is the same day because she and the ladies can wander around Town and explore the stores. 

Sure hoping to have the tank back on the Special by then as I have decided to go the route of having a local shop clean it out and do the coating. Made great headway cleaning the inside bottom of it but the top... just too much flaking coming off still so into the sand blasting with it and hope it can be saved if not turned to swiss cheese!

Meantime,

Off to a 105th Birthday Party in the Cougar.

• Like 1

Doug;  Thanks, sounds like a good plan to see the swap meet Friday and visit Wambo Saturday.  I have friends with firetrucks who go to Wallaceburg, won best of show there with my '13 Buick the only time I attended a few years ago.

Good luck with your fuel tank, few shops do that kind of work anymore, Siefker's (sp) in Essex?  Gary