Sign in to follow this  
MrRepair

1926 Duesenberg

If you look at auto magazines from the 60s and 70s, it seems that every two or three months someone came out with a farb* antique car. Everything from the Glassics and Shays(Model A-ish), to some things that were more homages to 70s bad taste but had the names of 20s and 30s classic cars on them. A few of these were actually well-done, like some of the 1936 Cord replicas and, rather than "farby", are collectible in their own right. The disappointment of these cars was always the moment you opened up the hood and found modern junk instead of the original engines you were hoping to see.

This car might have one of the Model A replicas in its ancestry. Has anyone noticed that this was born a modest-wheelbase 4-door phaeton, and then got chopped-down so the little rear doors with the cutouts for the rear wheels are now the "front" doors?(make-over from duel-cowell pheaton** to roadster)? And then someone decided one cowl wasn't enough and put two back-to-back. It looks like it has steel body parts, but a magnet might turn up the odd bit of fiberglass. I guess it's possible there is some original pre-war sheetmetal somewhere.

It would look pretty good primed and painted, but I'm confused by the fuel filler coming out of the otherwise great-looking accessory trunk.

*FAR Be it from real

**I've seen these spellings in car ads!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Last year, there was a Shay on eBay that the seller insisted was the real deal. People explained that it was a replica and the seller went postal and threatened to report them to the administrators. It can be easy for a non car guy to get duped, but this thing had air, automatic, power steering, tilt wheel and all the usual 1930 features.

post-64655-143141800537_thumb.jpg

If you look at this cropped photo it sits on a modern chassis and has the sway bar tied to the trailer.