I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

39 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Dang, 20 hours vert, you OK!??

a little CPR here..... if this don't get your ticker goin again

a2016-Buick-Avista-Concept-001.0.jpg

Had to stop for the ball game.

I have a friend in the Chicago area so rooting for the Cubs.

Hi George.

Cal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beemon said:

$16 per tire? If only that were still the case. 

The $2.00 I referenced was the DIFFERENCE for WW over black. Best of my memory. The $16.00 is what that $2.00 would equal today, based on what I was earning then versus today's wages,   My 60 cents per hour, versus $8.00 min wage now. All approximate, of course. AND those tires then were only good for 12 ,000 to 15,000 miles. I do like today much better.

I did buy a set of four Seiberling 100 tires in about 1954. Payed $25.00 per tire. WW included.  That figures out to ABOUT 35 hours of wages at 70 cents per hour. PER TIRE!

Did I say I like today MUCH better?!

Ben

• Like 5

When I started driving my 58's in 1970 both black wall and white wall tires were common but the whitewalls were mostly thin line. In fact most guys I knew who had 55, 6, 7 Chevs would deliberately mount the white wall on the inside, especially if they had the baby moon caps instead of full disk. 

I know this is later than the era that started this discussion but just pointing out the changing trends. Me, I like white wall tires, thin line, double line or wide.

Here is a picture when I bought the Special in 1972 sporting her double thin line whites (bias ply by the way) :).

58 Special - Day of purchase @ Ken McKenzie's 1972.jpg

• Like 2

When you are broke the car wore blackwalls:  the cheapest line of Goodyear and even then looked for 'blems' or 'factory seconds'; but never recaps (my father had bad memories from the WWII time with recaps).  An uncle had a used car lot and I once had some whitewalls applied by a traveling workman that buffed the sidewalls and applied some white paint(?) that lasted the limited life of the tire.  I will not have blackwalls again.

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

When you are broke the car wore blackwalls:  the cheapest line of Goodyear and even then looked for 'blems' or 'factory seconds'; but never recaps (my father had bad memories from the WWII time with recaps).  An uncle had a used car lot and I once had some whitewalls applied by a traveling workman that buffed the sidewalls and applied some white paint(?) that lasted the limited life of the tire.  I will not have blackwalls again.

I remember around 1985 a guy visiting the used car lots with his white side wall machine.  He'd lift a corner of the car with a frame jack and set that wheel on the machine.  It would cut a slight groove in the sidewall as it spun the tire.  While the tire was still spinning he'd apply a thin layer of white "stuff" into the groove.  

• Like 1