1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Attached the 2 radiator support rods and coil mounting bracket. My wife even sowed 2 king size flannelette sheets together to go over the car....nice one !

Steve, I also attached the Dodge Badge and the Budd Body Badge to the firewall........look familiar ? These are the replica ones I sell on ebay.

Not much else this weekend as it was daughters 17th birthday and she had 50 people to her party. I think I was more nervous about the car than her !!!

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139193258_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313919326_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139193263_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139193265_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139193267_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139193269_thumb.jpg

Dont get discouraged, nothing perfect in this world and you have come alot further and done a nicer job than many of us with our own cars

After learning that Pat ( Landman ) started his thread well into his restoration I'd thought once I reached a certain point of mine I'd do the same.

I figured that hopefully everyone would be alive by the time its finished ( including me !) which later upcoming threads I'll explain that one.

After watching a neighbour many years ago rebuilding and old Whippet I always wanted to restore a vehicle and admired many at passing club runs and shows.

Finally I decided that the look of the Ford 34's had beautiful lines and loved the shovel nose grill. I'm not sure overseas but in Australia these were very popular with hotrodders and a lot of these guys had deep pockets. An unrestored one would sell for $15,000 and upwards. I looked at a number of Makes and haven't given very much thought to the Dodge brand until I saw an add in the paper. Dodge 1934 Sedan 6 Wheel Equipped US Body $3200 ono.

This looked interesting and after talking to my wife I set off to have a look at it. Cost also played a big part as we had just bought a business, new car and three small children but having a project like this, I would be at home incase I needed to look after the kids. The date was 6th May, 1998.

Anyhow, when I arrived at the house to look at the Dodge all I remember seeing was that big Grill looking at me. The owner had spend 5 years stripping the car in a tiny garage and then it sat there for another 20. The only thing still on the chassis was the front wheels, body shell, 4 doors, rear mudguard and a running board. He also painted a lot of parts in Bitumen Paint. The owner said it was approx 95% there ( more like 80% ) and it was a good solid body ( got that part right ).

With a walk around his yard ( where the panels were ) and inside the house ( where the rest of the car was in boxes ) We agreed on $3000. He also had the original 4 digit plates but wanted $3000 for those. I didn't have the money but was happy with the car and couldn't wait to get the 3 trailer loads home and start sorting. Looking back it is probably easier if you pull the damn thing apart yourself....at least you know where everything goes and can label everything.

Over the next lot of posts I have to scan some of my old photos ( prior to our digital camera ) and I'll try to explain what order I did things in.

Hopefully it will make interesting reading for anyone thinking of restoring a car. As I dont have some of the technical skills like Bernie or Pat who can turn their hand at almost anything which I admire, I'll try and make up for in photos etc..

Dodge Advert.pdf

Thanks Jason. Its just frustrating when you can't find what your looking for ( usually a lot of small things ) that make the end result look special.

I've started a Thread under My Current Restoration Projects and I'll start from the very beginning there but keep this post going as thing progress.

Ian

Jason,

Remember we were talking about tool boxes under the front seat in the Dodges. I can across this photo of a 34 Dodge Convertable and bugger me there is a toolbox in the floor behind the front seat ! Mine hasn't got it but this one sure does.

Interesting, I will have to look into this, yes keep this thread going, many of us are not computer savvy so we do not know where ( or might forget ) that you have a separate thread going.

Thanks Pat. I've got receipts and a book that shows what I've spend ( maybe not a good idea ! ) and dates so hopefully it will be fairly close.

I hired a trailer and on the back of my new Grand Voyager ( Dodge Caravan I think ) picked up the Dodge. First time it had seen daylight in 20 years.

The previous owner ( Harry ) had a tiny garage so he could only work on one side at a time which is why a rear guard and running board were still attached.

All the panels and seats were put in the car through the roof so it looked like the car had its own swap meet inside it. Harry had parts in every room in the house and he was trying to remember where everything was. I made sure things like headlights, differential, gearbox etc. He assured me he would keep looking once I took everything and he would contact me if anything was found. He did just that and we still contact each other. The rear diff was removed and a free wheeling axle was fitted in its place so he could still move the car with the diff out. I loaded crates under the car and in the back of my new car and eventually made 3 trips to get everything. The car would be at my mothers house while I worked on it as we lived at the back of our business and really had no garage to speak of. Harry also gave me a folder with hand drawn diagrams of how things were removed and various other information he collected along the way.

post-44589-143139197901_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139197909_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139197914_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139197919_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139197923_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139197929_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

I too am looking forward to following your progress. I keep a running total of what I spend down to the last cent. I also keep a file for all the relevant info that I accumulate and all the receipts. You my have noticed I have a 'thing' about keeping histories.

Bernie J.

Another bit of progress today. I got the luggage rack back from the painter. The chrome protectors were all beyond repair so Harry that use to own the car started and got some rounded brass and has threads braised to them. I got the ends rounded like the originals and chrome plated. Found the Dodge emblem and spend the last few nights putting it back together. I think the result was worth it in the end. When I get a bit more money I might get the emblem fully restored but looks ok for the time being.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139202648_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313920265_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139202652_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139202654_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139202656_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139202658_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313920266_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139202662_thumb.jpg

Great work coming up with replacement chrome. The Dodge emblem looks good too. I've purposely left things original on my car too. I value the "good enough" parts I've got because hey, this things only 70 plus years old!:cool:

Ian, you can purchase all types of stainless fasteners from Totally Stainless here in the states. They have the slotted round head and pan head metal screws as well as the smaller than standard slotted oval head screws for trim and garnish mouldings. Nice work on your car!

Got the car in the garage still with all the stuff thrown in the top and started to pull everything out. Removed the remaining running board and rear fender, removed the rear seat ( front one was already pulled out ), pulled out the front metal toe baors ( covered in bitumen paint ....yuck ), took off the front fender support. The upholstory was in bad shape so just ripped it all out but kept the backing boards for patterns later on. When I pulled the back driver side panel off near the back window there was, in white paint, " EMP MAR RH DR" . I knew the Model is a DR and that RH was for Right Hand but couldn't work out the other bit. My Mum came out to see where I was up and I showed her the writing. She took one look at it and said thats probably the colour...Empire Maroon. Never ceases to amaze me what people retain ! So now its down to the front suspension, gearbox crossmember and the four doors. I thought I'd leave the doors on as this would give me something to do while the chassis is at the blaster / powdercoater and I could "bag and tag" all the parts I toom off it.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139204427_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139204441_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139204451_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139204462_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139204474_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139204487_thumb.jpg

post-44589-1431392045_thumb.jpg

Guest dodgekcl35

Hello Ian and Everyone

Very nice job you have done there.have been following this thread for a while and thought it was time i said hello. i have the remains of a dodge the same as yours that i hope to find a home for at some stage.post-79433-143139207688_thumb.jpg

Hi, the poor old girl has seen better days. Did the door pillars rust off ? Would you be interested in selling any tiny parts if they are still on it ?

glad your enjoying the thread. I'm not an expert but try to do a reasonable job. I have also started a thread under Current Restoration Projects from when I started the car and hopefully I can remember what I did.

cheers

ian

Guest dodgekcl35

Gday Ian

From what i can gather the american build ones had full steel bodies with floor etc but the ones we have here had steel outers with wooden frames on the inside. if you look closely at the pic near the rear wheelarch you can see the flatbar frame that the wood bolted to. i have a 36 truck which has the same metal outer shell as the american version but wooden framework holding it together.im sure there are others who will be able to shed some light on it. im more than happy to sell any parts that will help you with yours. i saved this from the crusher a few years back,i had to trade a few modern cars with the guy to cover his scrap loss.the two trucks i have were saved the same way and will be projects later on.my kcl is at the top of the list. as you would know parts are hard to find here in aus. anyway enough of my rantings. just let me know what parts your after and i will have a look.

Cheers Gary

Hi Gary,

Not sure but you may have gathered mine is a Budd ( steel ) body. The 34's were made with two timber inserts in the floor. If you have a look at my album you'll see what I mean. The only timber in mine was 2 pieces that go between the body and chassis, 2 large flooring panels and a few other pieces that the upholstery is fastened to.

If ok I'll send you a PM to you email address with some pics of what I'm looking after.

I've attached a pic of the first valance panel I'm fitting after I picked it up from the painter. He also sprayed the same underbody spray inside the running boards.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139208451_thumb.jpg

Guest dodgekcl35

Hello Manual

I think it is a chev from what i can tell. it has wire wheels with a smaller stud pattern than the dodge and its rocker gear is above the head. the gauges and bonnet look the same as the early to mid 30s chev pictures ive seen.

I will wait for your PM ian.i would like to see the parts used rather than rotting away. i need to track down someone that does running boards to suit my KCL if anyone has a lead.being a 119 seems to make them harder to find. also after some hubcaps to suit wire wheels.

Chhers Gary

Gary,

My running boards were made by Buckeye Rubber in the States. They had the original 34 pattern and three people in Victoria bought them ( one being me ) and cost us all up AUD$680 landed. Not a bad investment. May be a little more now but when I bought them the exchange rate was 90c.

Cheers

Ian

Started pulling the front independent suspension off an found a lot of bitumen paint again. Also tackled the gearbox crossmember and did have a fight with one of the bolts but I won that round. Once all this is done I'll send the chassis, crossmember, running board brackets and as much as I get get hold of to send to the blaster and then the powder coater. Next step the battery support brackets and the body. I'll start pulling the small stuff from the body once the chassis has gone to the powder coater.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139208602_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139208615_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139208627_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139208637_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139208648_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I sat around long enough pondering "what the hell have I done" and thought that its time the body came off the chassis. I figured I didn't have that much to start with so I might as well start with nothing ! Used a heap of Penetrene and suprisingly the bolts undid fairly easily. Put two saw horses on either side at the rear and jacked up the back then slid a piece of wood under the main body. I had already built a frame made from pallets and four wheels which will keep the chassis low enough to fit under the raised up body. You can see the amount of muck stuck around the rear spring hangers but was confident that a trip to the blaster would fix this. Once the body is off I'd thought I would have better access to the rear spring so planning a bit ahead I'd remove those next and also the battery case support brackets.

Regards

Ian

post-44589-143139217046_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139217057_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139217069_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313921708_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139217091_thumb.jpg