1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160990[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]160991[/ATTACH]these are handles hade cast from bronze for 34 dodge sedan.

Did you cast them yourself and how did you go about it?

Great work Tony. Glad I could help locate where that bracket went.

I've temporarily fitted the fender welt with all the bolts. I'll tack it in place later with glue and then fit the rear fender. I also fitted the door pillar bump stops and the round one as well.

A few more things off the list.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139242138_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313924214_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139242142_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139242144_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony' date='

I was hoping by the end of next year. Depends how things go I guess ( finance wise as well !! ). The Dodge 100 year anniversary is in 2014 I think so I'd like to have her completed by then at the latest.[/quote']

Just keep up the good work you are doing an excellent job !

HI everyone,

Received the chassis back and I must admit it has come up really well. It amazes me how much pitting rust does cause even in a chassis. Given that the chassis is suprisingly light and my brother and I can pick it up quite easily. All the other brackets I sent came up looking really good too ( gearbox crossmember, running board brackets, chassis extension and spare wheen carrier brackets ). I also got the brake drum backing plates done at the same time. I wirebrushed the rear springs and front suspension parts and coated the front suspension parts with POR15. The POR15 does come up a treat on uneven surfaces but you do have to be careful not to have any grease / oil left of th parts otherwise it wont stick at all.

Till next posting

Ian

post-44589-143139244952_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139244963_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139244973_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Had a good day. After helping paint our sons room ( he's moved out now ) I got to work on the car and fitted the two rear mudguards. Interesting when I go to fit the support bracket, the hole in the chassis is 3/8 and the hole in the bracket is 5/16 so I made a little rubber grommet to fill the hole and I'll finish those on the weekend. Another interesting thing is that the rear mudguards have more bolts holding them in place than the what holds to body to the chassis.

Oh well another job done.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139246908_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139246911_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139246913_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139246915_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've used Stainless Steel bolts to hold the guards on and to tie it in I'll probably coat them in the same stuff that was used in the underside of the guards and body. I must admit it was interesting trying to get the fender welt to sit properly.

I was cutting a rivit off a part and it took off across the garage and put a pin hole mark on the paint. Its in the 4th photo but you can't see it. I also did a bolt up on the front windscreen frame hinge too far and nicked the paint ( but this sits behind the rubber and you dont see it ) but I will still touch it up. Apart from that so far so good. I have the front guards to go yet ! The running boards sit pretty well so next job is the fender welt that sits between them and the valance panel. I'll also start on the luggage rack supports and steering column support bracket.

Ian

Hi Tony,

Tony Connell in Eltham. Tony has done every Elfin car that was manufactured and he currently has Bernies ( see the My Restoration Projects - from Old Car forum ) Car. I was going to use Grant White but Tony is just around the corner.

Oh, I think I've fixed my Avatar.......I'm bigger ! ( if that helps ! )

Are the lens held against the outer ridge bucket with spring inside the bucket?

Hi Dave,

I've attached 2 pictures. You can see the circular pattern on the outer and a hexagonal in the middle. With or without the Dodge wording ( prefer without ).

If you have 4 ( a friend has a 34 Chrysler and is also looking for them ).

Many thanks for looking

Ian

Hi Steve,

I'm still searching Steve. I tried Metro, Steel and AAAParts and a few others but no one seems to have them probably because they were vulcanised onto the frame.

Interesting with my car, one side is brass and the rubber is in excellent condition, the other is steel and the rubber deteriorated badly.

I thought you were going to get the set from Mark when he starts pulling stuff of his spare car.

I've sent him a list of stuff but he's been a bit busy of late.

Anyhow I'll keep searching. I do have a cadiallac set which are pretty close but are about 6" too short....damn !

Cheers

Ian

Yesterday was Fender Welt day. I cut and mounted the fender welt to the valance panels and Isat a small piece in between the rear mudguard and valance panel. I still have to make up the pieces for the front and rear of the running boards. Its amazing what you can cut with a scalpel !!

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-1431392604_thumb.jpg

Okey Dokey,

I wire brushed both wishbones and then painted with POR15. I did buy some new springs but have since replaced them as they sat offside. Checked at the bushes etc and this is the photo of me mounting the left side in place. I was the only way I could think of to get enough tension. I've seen people use spring compressors and I've also seen the damage they have done. This was the first photo taken on the progress after we built our house. I made sure I had a garage bay for the Dodge. When we designed the garage, I opened the car doors and measured from door to door fully open and then allowed a width of a person as well. It has worked very well and I am lucky and have a large amount of room.

Regards

Ian

post-44589-143139260402_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139260413_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

I'm still searching Steve. I tried Metro, Steel and AAAParts and a few others but no one seems to have them probably because they were vulcanised onto the frame.

Interesting with my car, one side is brass and the rubber is in excellent condition, the other is steel and the rubber deteriorated badly.

I thought you were going to get the set from Mark when he starts pulling stuff of his spare car.

I've sent him a list of stuff but he's been a bit busy of late.

Anyhow I'll keep searching. I do have a cadiallac set which are pretty close but are about 6" too short....damn !

Cheers

Ian

yes, put my request into Mark but,have not heard back found another set, should have them shortly but still will buy Marks set too , as always you can never have enough spare parts, also the rubber may be usable and or duplicatable, as in reproduction?

( "Keep a smile on your face and a tool in hand" )