1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

hi Pat,

happy new year to you too.

sometimes you have to compromise just due to the cost of things, but others you have to bite the bullet.

i try to get as close as I can but doesn't always work out that way.

as a side note my niece is in Banff at the moment and I showed her the photos of you pushing your car body back home after being painted. she's since sent some photos and jeeze it looks cold there. then again it got to 43 here on Friday ( about 110 in the old scale ). I just wait till it passes then back to work on the car.

ian

Hi Mark,

Ill do my best. How's yours going ?

Mark, could you post a photo of the bonnet lacing at the top near the radiator and near the bottom where it meets the front fender. It seems the last rivet hole is a good two inches from the hood hinge bracket so I'm thinking about how to anchor it there.

cheers

ian

question for 34 owners.

i was told the bonnet lacing can go under the bonnet hinge hold down bracket. anyone who has an original 34......is this the case ?

thanks

Ian

Take a picture of the area that your talking about. We have 3-34 DR that have not been tampered with. I think i know what your talking about, I'll take a picture of what your doing.

If its the bracket I am thinking (the bracket that goes between the hood halfs and hold the long hinge) I would say no. It would make the hinge bracket to high and would look funny and probably not fit very well.

Ours is a 31 but I am sure they are similar.

Hi Guys,

Heres a pic of here I'm talking about. It was the trimmer who suggested that the lacing goes under the hood hinge bracket to maintain the shape and hold the end down. I tend to agree with you guys that it would both make the hood hinge bracket unstable and also it would sit too high.

I've also included a photo of Marks 34 where his lacing ends. It just seems the end is unfinished ( unattached ) or am I being too fussy ?

The other two shots are of each side at the bottom of the cowl where the bonnet lacing attaches. Interesting that one side seems to be missing a piece.

I welcome your thoughts / opinions

Ian

post-44589-143139339938_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313933994_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139339957_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139339959_thumb.jpg

I've finished the floor panel that sits under the front seat. I've attached the felt, all holes align up and it fits like a finger in the bum ( oops...can I say that here ??? :) ).

I kept the top natural and clear laquered it and the bottom I did in a Black Marine Paint that is waterproof when it dries.

post-44589-143139339961_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139339963_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139339965_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

If you can take some general photos as well, inside and out, it often helps when I'm putting mine back together.

Could you have a look under the front seat where the front seat bolts onto the runners that boly onto the floor. Does yours have a piece of timber between the runner and the floor of the car. It should only be a small piece about 1/4 inch thick.

Cheers

Ian

Guest DodgeKCL

Those big holes in the rad shell are for different length stays. Notice in the 2 photos you've provided the hood stay is in 2 different places. (These holes were one of the problems that I went through trying to fit my rad shell and rad together. Someone previosly had put my stays under the screws that hold the hood hinge in place. I ended up in the lower of those 2 big holes. Fits like a glove now. I think the rad shells are interchangable between several cars and light trucks.) I'm putting my lacing right up to the edge of the hood hinge clip and using the large hole for a rivet with a larger washer underneath it to keep the rivet from pulling through the hole. Like you say it doesn't look finished unless it almost meets the hood hinge clip. Being in somewhat of a vaccum like yourself I don't know what they did originally.

Hey, thanks for the photos. Nice collection of 34's.

I think KCL is right and your photos prove it that Marks is also right where the lace stops at the rad support rod. Sorry for being ignorant but you said one of the 34's is a Hurst. What is a Hurst ? I'm learning all the time. What are your plans for the 34's ?

Also thanks for the pic of the seat runner. It looks as though you do have the little pice of wood that sits underneath it. You can just see it poking out about 1/2 inch in the photo. Maybe to give it clearance.

Any idea what was used to cover over the battery ( i.e. a flat in the floorboard perhaps ) ? Again, as I didn't dismantle mine I rely on others to what must appear some lame questions.

Many Thanks

Ian

Hi Guys,

Heres a pic of here I'm talking about. It was the trimmer who suggested that the lacing goes under the hood hinge bracket to maintain the shape and hold the end down. I tend to agree with you guys that it would both make the hood hinge bracket unstable and also it would sit too high.

I've also included a photo of Marks 34 where his lacing ends. It just seems the end is unfinished ( unattached ) or am I being too fussy ?

The other two shots are of each side at the bottom of the cowl where the bonnet lacing attaches. Interesting that one side seems to be missing a piece.

I welcome your thoughts / opinions

Ian

Hi IAN

The welt uses a series of small tack holes to be held in place with small spiral type nails / tacks ( cowl ). I think it should ends where the last tack hole is ,as not to Affect the hood and radiator areas lining up when hood is compressed down by the hood T- hooks on the body, radiator area uses screws flat head with nuts these also hold radiator ears in place, {small nuts behind ).

Also Ian I have located rear window weather stripping for 34 exact fit with lip to seal , looks great. if you and others are looking I will have them shortly enough to do rear windows aprox, 72 inches $75 plus shipping,

Steve

Many thanks for the Pics...just one thing.....Where on earth do you people get these cars from ??? I struggle to have one and some have a whole barn full of them.

Not being nosy but just amazed at the volume of cars some people have. Good luck to you and its very impressive by the photos you've sent.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Thats why the holes are countersunked around the radiator area and makes sense. I thought they used rivets around the cowl, but the twist type fastners, the same as they used on the ID Tags also makes sense now as it would only take one person to fit that. Ahhh the pennys dropped !!!!

Ian

Mike had been in Mopars for about 40 years. He kept the good ones most of the time. Back in the 90s, He was trying to build a museum in Las Vegas NV. That deal feel trough. Then in the mid 2000s, he tried to build it at his home. He got the 1st story up then he past away 2 years ago. I just don't have the knowledge to cotinue his dream. SAD!:(

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

The avatar car belong to Al Jr. He had about 3 or 4 cars when Mike bought him out when he passed. The hearst would be an interesting car to restore. About 75% of it is wood. When the weather gets better, I'll get better pictures. These cars are complete unrestored waiting to be restored.I've been following the progress of the restoration of your car, it's going to be one of the finest in this large world. I would love to see a person like yourself restore this hearst. It deserves the best. If i had the $, i would ship it to you and say, go to it!

Thanks for the compliment although I am a bit slow with the restoration. Having full time work, two kids at school and a large garden to keep up I don't have a s much time to devote to the car as I'd like to.

That being said, I'll keep picking away at it. Are you able to have a peek under the front seat to see how the battery inspection hole was covered ?

I've already cut out the timber for the front floor panel and the kickboard has been blasted and coated so hopefully that won't take too long. I'm waiting on a call from the Upholsterer to have the roof covered which will be a big step as then the sheets covering the car wont keep slipping inside the car.

Cheers

Ian

The cars look in pretty good condition. At least you'll know that one day when you do decide to sell them, someone will take pride in restoring them.

Whos car is used in the avatar photo ? I like the look of the wheels ( another thing I'm learning about too ! )

Ian

Sadly I wish this were true, Dave will have to be awfully careful when he does decide to find them a home so that some brainless dummy does not get ahold of them and streetrod them. It would be nice to find a younger buyer that really appreciates the cars as is and then maybe they will have a longtime owner. That is going too be a tough job, one that I would not want too have.

There should be a special place that cars like this have to go, maybe mandated so that they are preserved.