2013 BCA National Meet, South Bend, Indiana

Guest 1951 Buick

Guest 48buickkid

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I just wanted to make sure that way I didn't drive there and get turned away at the gate. Anways this special is soilid foundtion as the floor boards and trunk floor are pretty good. As a warning it was in a junkyard before the guy I bought it from got it from 13 years ago. Its sat out for a long time as far as i can tell as there is very little paint left. Again thanks for the encouragement. I wish I still had my 48 roadmaster 4 door sedan but I was unable to get a title for it.

Hi Eric.......The car show is on Saturday. The cars need to be on the field by 9 am, as the judging will start between 9 and 10. If you just want to display your car, just fill out the registration form on the back of the Bugle. The cost is $35.00 to register you and your wife plus $25.00 to register your car for Display only. You do not have to be there any other days. If you wanted to attend the banquet and awards ceremony that night, you would need to register for the banquet as well. You are welcome to attend only the awards ceremony without the banquet dinner free of charge. If you have further questions, please call us at the BCA Office - 614-472-3939 - and we'll be happy to discuss any questions you might have. We look forward to seeing that beautiful '55 Roadmaster in South Bend!

Mike & Nancy Book, BCA # 9202

BCA Office Managers

2013 South Bend National Meet Co-Chairs

Mike, thank you that was very helpful information. We will be there Saturday for sure. My car certainly is worthy of being judged, but will be happy to have it there to share!

Guest redhotz

I heard some time back that the car show would be held on the fields of the Notre Dame campus. Was this erroneous information or have the plans just changed?

The parking lot behind the hotels doesn't sound like a very pristegous place, considering this IS the BCA Nationals

redhotz,

I am not sure where you heard about the use of the campus, as I do not think this was ever in the planning. I am sure others that are more informed then I willclarify that. This was done on the campus of Iowa State a few years back, but, thankfully, we just missed a flood. And it did rain the day of the show. So. for one. I find the asphalt lot just fine, as the alternative could be mud and wet grass.

But more important, I see nothing wrong with a hotel parking lot where perhaps 50% of the BCA National I have attended were held. Both have advantages and disadvantages. As to "prestige*, I think it is the cars and people, not the venue.

John

Guest 1951 Buick

Not sure where you heard that the show would be held on the Notre Dame campus, but that is completely bogus information. The show planning has been to utilize the two hotel parking lots from the inception of the 2013 South Bend meet. Close to the Vendor area, the Hospitality room,and most importantly, the air conditioned hotel if it gets as hot as last year in Charlotte! Those members showing a car are overwhelmingly in favor of having the show in the hotel parking lot. It's easier on the participants, the judges and the Judges Admin room.

Mike & Nancy Book, BCA # 9202

2013 BCA National Meet Co-Chairs

Guest rivierafan

Question: I plan on being at the 2013 meet, however, what happens if I register one buick, but bring another buick?

Thanks in advance to your reply. Regards, Gilbert Volling #40788

Guest 1951 Buick

Let us know as far in advance as possible and we can usually make the switch. If you show up with a different car with no notification, we may net be able to have that car judged, as all of the judging classes will have been set up before that. We can at least make sure that whatever car you bring gets on the show field.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 1951 Buick

We look forward to seeing your '91 Reatta, Marck! In the past we owned 2 1990 Reatta coupes and a '91 reatta coupe that we lost to a deer that ran in front of it. We still have a soft spot for those cars.

Mike & Nancy Book

BCA Office Managers

2013 BCA National Meet Co-Chairs

• 2 weeks later...

Things have changed this week with respect to what I expect to have at the meet, but I intend to be there with the children. Suzanne has suggested we don't plan for her to be there this year. If I've done my math correctly, Teresa, at age 17, should become a senior judge this year.

Now, time to renew the passports, get the registration in, and find a place to lay our heads.

Of course, if we'd get some temperatures closer to average so this snow would leave us, I could get to work...plans for the year include getting the '62 convertible back on the road, and we are likely driving the pace car down (not enough room in the Reatta), and most likely Mark Shaw will bring the new fleet addition (which would be a nice surprise for folks at the meet, so those that are in the know, don't spill the beans too much). I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of original style wheels for the Century, so I'll probably put it in display only rather than driven class. That's a bit disappointing, but I'm used to disappointment with respect to my cars.

Things have changed this week with respect to what I expect to have at the meet, but I intend to be there with the children. Suzanne has suggested we don't plan for her to be there this year. If I've done my math correctly, Teresa, at age 17, should become a senior judge this year.

Now, time to renew the passports, get the registration in, and find a place to lay our heads.

Of course, if we'd get some temperatures closer to average so this snow would leave us, I could get to work...plans for the year include getting the '62 convertible back on the road, and we are likely driving the pace car down (not enough room in the Reatta), and most likely Mark Shaw will bring the new fleet addition (which would be a nice surprise for folks at the meet, so those that are in the know, don't spill the beans too much). I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of original style wheels for the Century, so I'll probably put it in display only rather than driven class. That's a bit disappointing, but I'm used to disappointment with respect to my cars.

The only disappointment here is that you're not bringing the Reatta :)

The only disappointment here is that your better half can not make it. Oh and also that you're not bringing the 1954 Buick Century Estate wagon in Gull Gray with original interior.

new fleet addition (which would be a nice surprise for folks at the meet, so those that are in the know, don't spill the beans too much).

What EVER are you talking about young man.

The only disappointment here is that your better half can not make it. Oh and also that you're not bringing the 1954 Buick Century Estate wagon in Gull Gray with original interior.

It's only three years since you have seen it...and you haven't come up to visit her...I figured you don't want to get too much of that action....

There will be nicer ones there to look at. Daughter has her road test tomorrow, so theoretically if I wanted to spend more money, the Reatta could potentially make the trip....

Guest wildcat465
It's only three years since you have seen it...and you haven't come up to visit her...I figured you don't want to get too much of that action....

I can attest that it is worth the trip!

Looking forward to hanging with you and the kids in South Bend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BShaw

I was doing some "googling" this morning and saw that your national meet was in South Bend. Though I am a Studebaker guy these days, I have a fondness and great respect for Buicks and have owned a couple over the years. I just wanted to pop in and say that if you have never been to the Studebaker National Museum do go see it. I guarantee it will not disappoint. Check it out at Studebaker National Museum - Official Website.

Guest haldee8

Never been to a BCA meet. Have a few questions. One,any chance a 1936 special coupe will be there? If so when is the best days to see the pre- war cars and likely vendors for them? I am in the process of restoring my fathers 1936 special coupe (dual side mounts!). I am unable to take all the days off of work etc. and would like to see the most I can in two days! Thanks for any advice in advance. And yes I know I need to sign up to BCA, just putting every penny in to the car! Thanks again!

Can someone tell me what the parking situation for "U" class will be in South Bend ? Will "U" class be parked "all together" (as at most previous meets) or will we be able to park with our respective car years ? I went in "Archival - Class U" 2 years ago and, other than a '34, all cars / owners were what I'd call modern. Not much commonality between us.

If "all together", who do I start lobbying to get it changed to allow archival cars to be parked with their respective car years and let the judges do a bit of extra walking ?

Thanks !

Bill McLaughlin

1929 McLaughlin Buick

Guest 1951 Buick

In a conversation I had with Rick Schick, National Meet Chief Judge, and Alan Oldfield, BCA Chief Judge/National Meet Assistant Chief Judge, all cars are going to be parked in Class order only. The Archival cars will be all together, the Driven Class will all together, the Display only cars will be all together and the Modified cars will be all together. Due to the possibility of a larger than normal turnout of cars, Rick and Alan felt this was the best logistical plan. As Meet Director, I concur. Our Judges tend to be the most under appreciated and most overworked individuals involved in a National Meet, in my opinion.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

BCA National Office Manager

2013 National Meet Co-Chair

It hurts to bite my tongue Mike....

As long as I have been attending judging school, we have been told 5-10 minutes per car. I think 5 is on the short side, but 10 is more than reasonable. Generally, each judging team generally judges around 5-10 cars, so should be on the field no longer than 2 hours at the absolute most. Since the judging team captain is supposed to survey the field and map out the cars their team is judging, it isn't any particularly onerous to have a few more cars of the general era on the field. Judges should not be overworked if they followed the guidelines given in the judging school (assuming they attend in the first place).

Of course, that is my opinion.

When you drive like Bill does and you are forced to park with other cars and your car is 20-30 years older than most of the cars around, the Buick sticks out like a sore thumb and Bill is less likely to have other pre-war Buick owners around him. We need to celebrate folks like Bill who drives his unrestored '29 a lot more miles than many of us do with considerably more modern cars.

This wasn't intended to start an argument, nor get the thread further off-topic, but to state my opinion on the topic.

I guess I'll have my car judged then. Doesn't cost any more due to the now high cost of the Driven class and that way I'll be with the other cars of my class. I was going to do Display, but that won't work anymore either.... :confused:

I am thinking also, it is good to have them together, perhaps not the driven class, but at least the archival and display. Could we not rent a golf cart to move those judges around? How many cars are usually in that class?

John

Mike:

Disappointing. When one drives 12-18 hours in a hot, 80+ year old car and is stuck away from ones peers, I think maybe an extra 1/2 hour for the judges isn't a lot to ask. It seems that the judging / meet committees opt for the easiest way out without consideration of the attendees. I can only hope that there is lot of push-back from the Archival and Display groups so that you consider a change.

Bill Mclaughlin

BCA 7160.

I must confess, now that I think a bit more, Bill's suggestion/proposal would actually cause an expansion of the overall field for 400 point judging. Thus, it very much depends on the show fiels physical constrants and ultimate layout. So, I can understand the reason for not including. Of course show field layout depends on the number of Registered Entrants. Which always comes down to a deadline. Now might be a good time to remind everyone to get their entry in (my self included) so the field can be set. Maybe some day, the physical constrants of the selected area will allow placing the display and U class with the 400 point judging cars.

John

I guess I'll have my car judged then. Doesn't cost any more due to the now high cost of the Driven class and that way I'll be with the other cars of my class. I was going to do Display, but that won't work anymore either.... :confused:

Wait, so cars entered in "Display Only" will not be displayed with the rest of the class? That's not how it went down in Charlotte.

In a conversation I had with Rick Schick, National Meet Chief Judge, and Alan Oldfield, BCA Chief Judge/National Meet Assistant Chief Judge, all cars are going to be parked in Class order only. The Archival cars will be all together, the Driven Class will all together, the Display only cars will be all together and the Modified cars will be all together. Due to the possibility of a larger than normal turnout of cars, Rick and Alan felt this was the best logistical plan. As Meet Director, I concur. Our Judges tend to be the most under appreciated and most overworked individuals involved in a National Meet, in my opinion.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

BCA National Office Manager

2013 National Meet Co-Chair

This needs to be reconsidered. Doing it this way puts the 400 point show cars together (perception: rich peoples' trailer queens get the good spot and others get the step-child treatment and get parked remotely) and perpetuates the existing class warfare. All of the cars need to be parked somewhere. What is the problem with parking a large class like Reatta in the area you now have designated for the driven class or display only cars. So the only way for me to be parked with other 55's is to have it judged; I don't want to have it judged since I have proven the point that I can will awards and I am too lazy to detail it after driving 1200 miles (and here we have another car to add to the judges' workload). Parking an Archival car next to a Senior Preservation car would be educational; even having modifieds here would be nice. The way it is now, it might be better to forgo registration and park with the general public...same difference. I haven't registered yet...

Willie

This needs to be reconsidered. Doing it this way puts the 400 point show cars together (perception: rich peoples' trailer queens get the good spot and others get the step-child treatment and get parked remotely) and perpetuates the existing class warfare. All of the cars need to be parked somewhere. What is the problem with parking a large class like Reatta in the area you now have designated for the driven class or display only cars. So the only way for me to be parked with other 55's is to have it judged; I don't want to have it judged since I have proven the point that I can will awards and I am too lazy to detail it after driving 1200 miles (and here we have another car to add to the judges' workload). Parking an Archival car next to a Senior Preservation car would be educational; even having modifieds here would be nice. The way it is now, it might be better to forgo registration and park with the general public...same difference. I haven't registered yet...

Willie

Can I get an amen? :D

Willie

Perhaps everyone on here should make the BCA BOD aware of your personal opinion.

I will be taking my concerns up with the BOD and the National Meet Committee of which I am a member of both and this forum post is the first I heard of this change...disappointing.