2013 BCA National Meet, South Bend, Indiana

Guest 1951 Buick

Thank-you, Mike Book for ensuring free Wifi at the Hilton, this year. Probably of little concern to USA resident attendees of a National but sure nice for us that cross a boarder and have to live with expensive roaming packages on our cell phones. Sure hope this is the start of a trend at National meets.

Bill McLaughlin

BCA 7160

1929 McLaughlin Buick roadster

I'm not sure if I'm glad I read this thread or not. I stick to the Pre War Forum chat.

I enjoy attending and driving my early Buick to the National Meets when I can and I thought I would be parked with (all) my fellow PWD friends along with their cars in South Bend but now I see we will be split up by some distance depending on our registration class.

Not my Meet to run and I know how hard it is to do so and keep everyone happy. My sincere thanks to those who are doing all the hard work as I sit here and just type.

But here is one member's vote for parking cars by year.

I no longer get my car judged to help out with all the workload that goes into judging and I don't think having everyone get judged so they are parked together is the correct solution. But the Driven Class was organized to get more folks and their cars to attend and be part of the BCA (same with Modified, Reatta, PWD etc . . ) My opinion again here but what if we asked 'where would you like to park your Driven Class, Display Car, Modified . . ? With like years or in the Driven Class lot or Display lot or Modified lot . . .?"

Thanks for listening and see you in South Bend! PWD After Tour still has plenty of room, come join us! Open parking! :o)

I sent the question to Mike Book by e-mail, but also let him know I'd put it here so that the answer would be relatively publicly available.

In filling in my registration (finally), I'm looking at the banquet. If the kids are getting pizza in the same banquet hall, then that is certainly the less expensive route for me. If it is in a separate room like it was in Rochester, that can still work, but since mine are teenagers now and participating in the judging, I'd like them to be there for the awards and recognition following the banquet.

Of course I have another option of giving them money to look after themselves, then join me in the banquet room. Just looking for the logistics. I know at least one of them would probably prefer a meal of pizza, but sending them to a separate room set up for children (keep in mind the appetite of a 15 year old boy) may not be the best for all involved.

Needless to say, I need to do a bit of figuring yet before my registration is in the mail (sigh).

Guest 1951 Buick

The Archival awards are given out at the awards banquet Saturday evening. If you qualify for an Archival Award and are not there to receive it, we'll mail it to you after the meet is completed.

Mike & Nancy Book, BCA # 9202

BCA Office Managers

2013 BCA National Meet Co-Chairs

I think you are supposed to stay on the field until about 3 PM, but you can ask to be excused early, as long as the judging is complete. You do not need to be present for the award, but maybe give someone permission (best in writing) to pick any award up. But my comments are unofficial and just based on what I have heard. Sorry, you know have the official comment. You may still be concerned about the departing time. John

Edited by jscheib
Update (see edit history)

Well, I finally got my registration in the mail yesterday.

Mike, don't worry about the question of banquet meals for my sake. The children will eat on their own, then come to the banquet room. I have enough difficulty justifying the price for my meal, but for three teens who can be somewhat fussy, it becomes hard to take.

Guest 1951 Buick

I'm working with the hotel people to see if we can't seat the kids with the parents and have a different color "ticket" that would signify pizza and have the kids pizza served with the parent's meal. Not sure if this is a great answer, but we can give it a try and see what the results are. I should have a final answer from the hotel within the next few days. The hotel staff has been getting their vacations out of the way before the Buicks start arriving next month, so getting all the heads in one place to make a decision has been difficult!

Mike & Nancy Book BCA # 9202

The Archival awards are given out at the awards banquet Saturday evening. If you qualify for an Archival Award and are not there to receive it, we'll mail it to you after the meet is completed.

OK thanks. 3 o'clock should not be a problem, but I don't think I can stay for the banquet.

BTW - South Bend is in Eastern time zone, correct?

Guest 1951 Buick

You will need to have it judged to be parked with them, Marck. The Display only cars will be in a different part of the field.

Mike Book, BCA 9202

You will need to have it judged to be parked with them, Marck. The Display only cars will be in a different part of the field.

Mike Book, BCA 9202

I'm not going to lie, that seems a little silly if you ask me. :confused:

So I suppose I will be entering my lightly modified Reatta to be judged. Chances are I wont even get a bronze, but oh well. :)

Nothing personal towards a single person, but it can't be easy setting up a show, and pleasing everyone.

My brother started a car show in Rockwall, Tx. several years ago, it grew and grew, but you would not believe all the stuff he had to put up with, so after 10 years, he just shut it down, and that even brought about more complaints.

I wish all the planner/workers well, and THANK YOU for all you do.

Dale in Indy

I am a BCA member. My brother, also a BCA member, owns a 1941 Buick Series 90 Sedan. He can't make it to the Buick Meet at South Bend. Can I enter my brother's car under my name?

Also, is there any other associated costs with this meet other than the member's $35 attendance fee?

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Can someone answer this so I can send in my money tomorrow?

I am a BCA member. My brother, also a BCA member, owns a 1941 Buick Series 90 Sedan. He can't make it to the Buick Meet at South Bend. Can I enter my brother's car under my name?

Also, is there any other meet-associated costs with this meet other than the member's $35 attendance fee and the $35 car registration fee?

I have never seen anything stated that a Buick at the meet has to belong to a BCA member. Since we now have the ability for non-members to attend, I would see no issues with you attending with a non-member's Buick. Of course, that is my opinion, and not necessarily official BCA policy.

Edited by Thriller
Clarified (see edit history)

Guest 1951 Buick

We were not going to pass up the chance to have that beautiful 1941 series 90 on the South Bend show field!

Mike & Nancy Book, BCA # 9202

On the Facebook page there is somebody who is confused about the location, as I was for a long time. Then BCA website does not actually state the location and address of the show. Here is website of location: Gillespie Conference and Special Event Center - South Bend, Indiana Venue for Weddings and Receptions, Meetings, Conferences, and Social Events - Near Notre Dame

lancomb, I think the problem develops in that there are several ways to enter this forum. If you go through AACA, you will miss www.buickclub.org which will get you to the BCA web site, which quite clearly has the information and I believe a registration form . It is under Calendar. John

John, it is not a forum issue but a BCA website issue. It is really not clear at all in my opinion and makes it difficult to find out when and where the actual show is. Nowhere on the main web page for the meet www.buickclub.org/2013 does it actually say the location of the meet. There is plenty of information about the host hotels, and there is a link for The Gillespie Conference Center but it does not actually say anyplace that that is the location of the meet - it just looks like a random link. Furthermore, the only way to find out when the actual show is is to look carefully at the registration form under "Saturday" where it says "Judging of Beautiful Buicks (Host Hotel Parking Lot)".

My point is that somebody should not have to hunt for this stuff. I know it may seem clear to you or many members of this club and forum, but for somebody who is not "in the know", and for whom the BCA website is the first and only place they go to find out more information, it is really confusing and unclear. If we want to promote these events to new or potential new members, I think basic information like this needs to be clearly front and center on the event web page.

Just trying to offer feedback from another perspective to help, not trying to be a PITA!

My father and I will be bringing this 1941 Buick Series 90 6P Sedan to South Bend. Thanks Mike Book. My brother Michael owns this car but cannot make it to the South Bend Meet. I am looking forward to seeing all the Beautiful Buicks at the meet.

post-75225-14314197003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

I just got my registration confirmation. I'm number 471.

I'm going to drive my '63 Electra from DC to Chicago the week before the meet, and then drive to South Bend with my father. Then, I guess it's back to Chicago before driving back to DC. I registered the Electra in the Driven category, which is appropriate considering how much it's going to be driven! (My father was lobbying for the '57 Roadmaster --I think because he hasn't yet seen it in person-- but I don't know if the '57 is ready for such a long trip. I think it needs a few more uneventful medium length drives before I have the confidence to attempt such a long journey.)

I'm really looking forward to meeting so many of you in South Bend, and to seeing all the great Buicks gathered there. It will be especially nice being there with my father, who will celebrate his 80th birthday a few days earlier. (By the way, he just recently bought a 2013 Buick Enclave that he loves!)