How to dispose of old gasoline

RansomEli

I've got an old car that has not been driven in several years. I'm sure the gasoline is bad. I can drain the gas tank, but what's the appropriate way to dispose of the gasoline?

Is this one of those dilemmas where I can't legally get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

I was in the same spot as you a couple of years ago. The gas in my Avanti was at least 15 years old. It was some nasty stuff. I ended up taking it to our local waste/landfill facility on the day that they accept hazardous waste like paint and such. They had a 55 gallon drum for old gas in addition to oil. So I would all call your local govt. sanitation or waste facility to see if they will accept it. Hope this helps.

Guest wombvette
I put mine in the furnace oil tank. It mixes with the oil and burns up. No problem so far.

Strain it and add it to your the tank of your daily car. Bout as well get the good out of it. Just add a couple of gals. at a time.

Dump it on the ground and burn it ...Best solution.

Illegal as hell, to say nothing of dangerous and foolish. Don't do it.

=================================

Check with your local authorities. If they don't have a household hazardous waste program they may have arrangements with a local firm (i.e. John's previously mentioned landfill), or there may be approved methods for solidifying the fuel (i.e. in an oil absorbent product for spill control) for legal conventional disposal. Having it collected in liquid form for processing as a hazardous waste is by far the best option.

Guest shadetree77

My grandpa used to keep it in designated cans and used it to help in starting large brush fires when he cleaned up branches and leaves on his property. Probably not the most environmentally safe way to do it, but it could be considered "recycling" in a way. :)

Guest Magoo

Try your local auto parts store. The Autozone in my neighborhood takes used automotive fluids free of charge. They probably do well on the recycling, I bet.

And as some others suggested, modern unleaded gasoline is relatively stable.

I have a 5 gallon heavy gauge open top can that I use. I pour in 1-2 gallon at a time and set it away from anything flammable and toss in a match or two till it catches. Makes a nice torch for a few hours. Let it all cool and repeat.

If it isn't real nasty I burn it in my old tractor.

Jim...