Texas Road Warriors: Charlotte, don't you cry

old-tank

Missed a turn and ended up in Fayetteville, NC...actually detoured to see friends. Tranny was a little low again; added some STP this time. Will pull my torque tube plug to see if that is where it is going. Looking at late morning for arrival. I talked to Lamar and he should be bringing a generator.

Willie

Guys,

I have a spare Gennie as well, loading down my trunk...should be able to hook you up hopefully. I have lots of mountains to go through. Hope Old Bessie can weather the heat and the elevation..Safe travels. I should be there around the same time, give or take an hour hopefully.

Thanks Mike! Thank is truly an honor to be part of the TRW crew...I hope this includes my chief wrench and sidekick Bob as well!! :)

It certainly does include Bob. It was a pleasure to meet both of you and again congrats on the DRIVEN Gold Senior! Time to head west where it is cooler.

Willie

It is finally a little cooler in Tuscaloosa AL after a brief rain (470 miles). Found some 2.86 gas in South Carolina...dang that was some sorry stuff; vapor lock even with the electric fuel pump at 65 mph. Fresh fuel after 120 miles solved the problem. (I need that iphone app... and an iphone and...)

Willie

Thank you Pete. As you know I attended both Plano meets ('96 and '04) and thoroughly enjoyed both of them and used many of the the things I learned from them to apply to this meet! So I owe the Texas members many thanks and greatly appreciate the tremendous turn out from our Texas Road Warriors!!!

Dudes I wish I met:

Shadetree

NC Reatta

Willbilly

I did meet a ton of other people for the first time.

TG

Buick Jim

DK

Wildcat465

Of course I saw a bunch of old friends. Too many to list.

I had a ball, y'all!

Thanks to Brian and the rest of the crew who did a fantastic job.

Dudes I wish I met:

Shadetree

NC Reatta

Willbilly

I did meet a ton of other people for the first time.

TG

Buick Jim

DK

Wildcat465

Of course I saw a bunch of old friends. Too many to list.

I had a ball, y'all!

Thanks to Brian and the rest of the crew who did a fantastic job.

I believe I read that Shadetree (sadly) wasn't going to be able to make it. Or maybe he made it, just minus his car? Not sure..

Anyways, I was there. I'm disappointed we weren't able to meet up. I wanted to stay longer at the breakfast, but I had a tour to lead that left at 8 and I didn't quite have all my ducks in a row yet.. :o

It certainly does include Bob. It was a pleasure to meet both of you and again congrats on the DRIVEN Gold Senior! Time to head west where it is cooler.

Willie<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Likewise Willie! Made it home by 8:30 this evening, with the crew chief Bob intact, and no issues from the car the whole trip back. Stayed with premium gas all the way, only BP and Sunoco and she ran like a top. Thank you so much for all your help and camraderie this past week. You and Mike really made the trip very special. Can't wait until South Bend next year! Safe travels my friend. Hope you get to some cooler weather soon!

Guest 4 bufords

glad you guys made it home jim,was a treat meeting you and bob and seeing the special.going to hobble out and see my cars later.glad you got an award for all the work you put into it. looking to seeing everyone in south bend,4 bufords from ct

I was sure nice to meet most of you guys! I had a blast at my first Nationals...

Only thing for me was the heat, I can take the cold but as Mike said you can only get so much naked.

Dad and I had a little miss fortune on the way home, a dammed wreck that held us up for about two hours just sitting on I-81 so by the time we started looking for hotels they were all booked up. We stopped at about 5 exits tried about 10 different hotels all full. I just told Dad to recline the seat and I will drive the whole way home....18 hrs on the road.

Special thanks goes to Brian....great job man. Also thanks to Lamar who showed me around and introduced me to so many.

It was also nice to have some 55 guys at the first ever 54B Forum lunch.

Hope to see all you guys next year!

Guest 4 bufords

thanks brian,i enjoyed the meet and visiting with everyone.knee did hurt some but didn't let it bother me.went to doctor today and got an ok to drive again,felt great,4 bufords from ct

Longview TX 85* and 90% humidity...never thought I would call that cool, but compared to the oven we left it is a welcome relief. No issues other than feeding the beast. Tomorrow 5 hours to home.

Willie

A chilly 96* in Raleigh today. A nice relief. I don't think I will ever complain about heat again. :D

Got home after ten hours of driving. AC worked great, no windshield wipers in the rain. I imagine the heat in the engine compartment made all of the Vaseline get all runny and not wanna seal.

I averaged over 15 mpg for the trip. My engine compartment is a mess after all of the oil, gas and antifreeze spewing around in there.

Oh yeah forgot aboot mentioning I met the Stealthy one and his Pop. Duh. You're a legend Bob. Your Old Man should be proud.

Lastly, this is a picture of the unfortunate steel belt slippage incident (which luckily I caught before I HAD to do it by the side I the road).

I think the car looks kinda mean with black walls and no wheelcovers.

post-32260-14313908143_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143139081433_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77
I believe I read that Shadetree (sadly) wasn't going to be able to make it. Or maybe he made it, just minus his car? Not sure..

Sorry guys. I wasn't able to make it. I'm really bummed about it. I spent all my dough working on this $#&! cooling system! :mad: I was looking forward to meeting all of you. Hopefully I'll have old Lucy on the road by next year and I'll see you all in South Bend!

I made it home last night by 5:00 pm. While the modern car was nice, next year one of my old cars will got to South Bend.

Had a great time in Concord and saw lots of friends.

Chuck, you missed the Friday Night tech / brew session in the wash area after dinner. A good time was had by all.

Guest wildcat465
There were a few folks who pitched in, but a vast majority were merely heckling whilst enjoying Bill's homebrew or Jim's Strohs
Or Serb's Plum Brandy mmmm, mmmm.

Definitely one of the really fun events at the show.

What do you plan on breaking next year Mike?

Party's over until next year. And the end of our traveling road show-off. 2800 miles and the usual 15.5 mpg. Nothing else broken, but still losing tranny fluid...seems to be coming from the front of the tranny. STP slowed it down quite a bit, but did not stop it. Anyhow I have year to think about fixing it right or chancing a massive leak 1000 miles from home.

Willie

You could consider driving the convertible in the avatar. Would love to see that car!

John, a non air conditioned convertible is not a suitable road car for the distances the TRW drive...it would make the drive but I would be wasted ( and my co-pilot would be missing )...it is also in the 'finishing stages' of a repaint. You need to come to one of the the spring or fall regional meets in Texas...or check out my webpage.

Willie

John, a non air conditioned convertible is not a suitable road car for the distances the TRW drive...it would make the drive but I would be wasted ( and my co-pilot would be missing )...it is also in the 'finishing stages' of a repaint. You need to come to one of the the spring or fall regional meets in Texas...or check out my webpage.

Willie

March 2008 in TX was hot driving that car!! That was way fun, though, thanks Willie!!

I made it home safely and without incidents late Sunday, July 8. After Charlotte, I went to Pittsburg for a day and saw the Pirates - Astros game. Then went to Cleveland for a few days and saw an Indians - Angels game. Albert Poulous tossed my son a game ball. Then went to Columbus to help out at the 30th Annual Arthritis Foundation car show before coming home. Over 3,600 miles, averaging over 20 miles per gallon. This was the longest road trip I have ever been on, in both distance and time (17 days). Had a great time seeing everyone again and look forward to doing it again next year.