1939 - 1941 Buick

Guest straight shooter

Guest straight shooter

I would like to know which Buick, 39 - 41, is your favorite and why. If there is another 1930's Buick that you prefer than list that one instead.

Within your criteria, I like the 1940 because the headlights come out of the center of the fenders.

However, my overall favorites are the 1934 & 35 buicks. I like the Art Deco styling with the swept back radiators and the refined interiors.

I just don't have either one of these in my collection.....

Between the two, I am partial to the '39's due to the bucket headlights - just like that look better than the 40's in the fenders. However, I like the floor shift and vertical grill that ended with the '38's.

Just out of curiousity, why the question?

John V.

Between the two, I am partial to the '39's due to the bucket headlights - just like that look better than the 40's in the fenders. However, I like the floor shift and vertical grill that ended with the '38's.

Just out of curiousity, why the question?

John V.

I too prefer the headlights of the pre 1940's, especially the mid 30's. I got my 39 due to price, location, and availability. I could not pass it up.

Not much choice in New Zealand. It has to be 1939 as this was the last year of retail sales with World War 2 beginning in September that year.

But when we went to the National Meet at Orlando, Florida, in 1987 there was a guy there with a beautiful 1940 with the revised body style. It really appealed to me. It must have been a model 51 Super which was the precurser to the body styling that arrived here in 1947 (perhaps 1946).

Guest Grant Magrath

Happy new year!

I'd have to go for the 39, partly because of what Terry says, and mostly because from a very early age, I fell in love with the grand prix inspired grille.

Cheers

Grant

I have a '39 Century coupe and only realised after I purchased it, that '39 was a unique year because (1) first year of column shift (2) first year of factory turn signals (rear only) (3) first year of factory push button radio. (4) only year that "stream boards" were available on Special and Century.

However, later years had (1) turn signals both front and rear (2) a more readily available transmission for Special and Century (39 was a one year only transmission on those cars)

Each year, there were small improvements in the cars and it would be difficult to pick just one as being "best"

Also, if you want sidemounts, 1940 was the last year.

Guest mmdowd

Hope this is as good as any place to ask the Buick enthusiasts

Today I very excitedly purchased a 1939 Buick Sedan creamy color pretty good nick needs paint!

I'm in Australia and new to this fascinating Forum

My Question

Would the 39 look OK in two tone, I have had this vision of cream body and deep maroon guards, I inherited six wheel guards with the car. Or would this look too vulgar

Any comments or pics would be greatly appreciated from you more experienced restorers

mike dowd mmdowd@gmail.com

Guest mmdowd

Danny

I like to keep everything original, this looks original. Only thing I could see was the 12v changeover had been done

I am from a place called Gooloogong ( as in Yvonne tennis) in central NSW about 150Ks west of Bathurst

I have seen a 37 Oldsmobile done similar. I thought it looked good only in my opinion the guards were too red, more fire engine red. The red (all over) looks great on the 39 coupe. That's the red I wanted to paint the sedan all over but my wife informs me that is OK on the Coupe because it more like a sports car. She says it wouldn't suit the sedan

I don't seem to have much color etiquette so I am relying on you guys for an opinion. I will then go with the consensus

I will upload a photo of the Coup I like in red

The next photo has the Maroon I like to go on the Guards (it is the 2nd car in) or if the 2tone gets overruled THE WHOLE CAR!!

Really hope to get a few replies.

mike dowd

post-81897-143138787732_thumb.jpg

post-81897-143138787745_thumb.jpg

Since I was restoring the car, I got an original chip chart, and chose "Royal Maroon", and have done the car in base/clear in that colour. I used top line Sherwin Williams paint, and they did a great job matching the original colour with modern pigments. I think that it looks great with the wide whites, and chrome trim.

For me, this was the right choice.

Don't have any pictures, as I am still assembling the car. Family issues prevented me from getting much done the last half of 2011.

Keith

Mike, there are a few different coloured '39s here, even a Maroon.

Buick Car Club Of Australia: /Members Cars /Up to 1939

I think 2tone doesn't look right on a '39 especially if you want to stay original. When I get around to painting mine I will be going cream. Do you have some pics of your car and some details about it ? Is it a Holden or Fisher body etc...

It might be worth starting your own thread about your car as we are hijacking Straight Shooters thread. (not the polite thing to do ;))

Danny